I started learning C++ for fun, and also to expand my skillset...

I started learning C++ for fun, and also to expand my skillset, but I've heard that most people use Java or C# for stuff now, or Python (which is different entirely).

Was I memed? Is C++ not worth learning in this day and age?

Other urls found in this thread:

tmobile.careers/job-details/information-technology/91444BR-developer-software
careers.bankofamerica.com/job-detail/17057828/united-states/us/senior-application-developer?source=Indeed
experienced-jpl.icims.com/jobs/7729/software-engineer---multi-mission-control-systems/job?mobile=false&width=1066&height=500&bga=false&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=0&jun1offset=0
jobs.apple.com/search?job=99542001&openJobId=99542001
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

there are certain niches where C++ is useful

A lot of neets use c++
People with jobs use the other three.

C++ is useful in building vulkan game engines from scratch and then getting 6 figure starting jobs

c++ is a pretty decent language, along with c its kind of a lower level language, don't know what your going to make with it, python is also decent. so cython?

It will always cost rediculous money to change an entire program over from one language to another. Shit, Windows 10 Minecraft is coded in C++ even.

There are people still coding and being paid well to develop in COBAL of all things. You'll be alright for some time; and even then, learning a language after you know one or two is much easier; the hardest part would be learning C++'s low level of hierarchy.

If you want to write quick code and dont really care how or why stuff work, you just want results from your application, then learn python
If you are interested in actual programming and dont mind spending time learning then learn C++. Once you know C++ python will be piss easy.

You don't "start learning C++ for fun".

You bite the bullet, toil, cry, and at some point, with a lot of perseverance and hard work, will have learned C++, and it will have been all worth it.

If you're not that serious pick up a different language, you'll do yourself a favor.

But it is fun.

>want to use c++ because it's comfy
>99% of all jobs are c# or java

I started learning erlang for fun. And its enjoyable, more enjoyable than c++ and definately more enjoyable than java (in fact java is so boring and uninteresting that I have considered just dropping out and quitting programming for good because I thought programming is just not my thing and will never even finish the fucking semester)

The majority of C++ jobs are in finance and niche fields like video games.

>will have learned C++
No. I guarantee no-one on Sup Forums has 100% learned C++ to the standard.

>>want to use c++ because it's comfy
>>use c++ because it's comfy
>>c++ because it's comfy
>>c++ comfy

Pic related you dumb fuck.

Also water simulation space, where they are converting from COBOL.

Engineering or game development.

Personally I'm a C using luddite, sitting here waiting for C++ to become Ada because they can't stop adding shit to it.

>c++ is so hard
its really not even that bad, c with classes? oh shit its like you work for nasa or something. The biggest deal is learning OS related nonsense or whatever libraries your going to use with it. You guys just don't like compiling, admit it.

Do all the questions in Washus quiz and any other C++ quiz, stream yourself getting 100%.

C++ compiling is pretty perfect and fast, why would that deter anyone?

C++ can be nice because it lets you get closer to the hardware like C, but with the benefits of object orientation and generics.
But its niche is fading. C# is crossplatform now because of .NET Core, so you can deploy purely functional bits with F# coupled with neatly organized class hierarchies with C#, while still having fine-grain, low-level control with pointers.

That really leaves microcontrollers and other embedded devices that lack the resources to run the .NET Framework.

Ok, let me put this in real-world terms for you, and all the other jobless wannabes on here

C++ IS THE DEFACTO STANDARD FOR LARGE APPLICATIONS

THE STANDARD
PERIOD
NOTHING WILL REPLACE IT ANYTIME SOON ESPECIALLY NOT RUST OR GO

PYTHON IS FOR SCRIPT KIDDIES

people just use unity or unreal nowadays

>C++ IS THE DEFACTO STANDARD FOR LARGE APPLICATIONS
that would be Java

Game development, high-performance finance, and machine learning are modern areas that heavily utilize C++. Even within these, a lot of the everyday programming you will do is often in easier languages like Python that wrap around a high-performance C++ codebase.

What this means is if you are targeting the above areas, you should absolutely have a project written in C++ on your resume.

If you just want a job, learn Java as it is the most used. If you know Java, learn Python. If you know both learn web languages. Finally, pick up C/C++ for the heck of it

what a fool

sure

Not worth it anymore. Rust replaces it.

If you are writing your game logic in C++ you are fucking retarded. Engine dev in C++ and game dev in C#.

>no inheritance
Yeah, no. Servo uses several unwieldy macros to implement dom inheritance.
Until fields in traits and some kind of delegation sugar is added to the language Rust will stay unusable in cases where inheritance is the right model.

>game dev

im sorry your university of phoenix CS instructor lied to you in order to fill more seats in the DYING Java arena

windows - C++
OS X - C++
GTK - C++
MS Office - C++
Adobe - C++
Game engines - C++
3D and Physics Engines - C++
Norton, McAfee, pretty much all anti-malware - C++
AutoCAD - C++
PhysX - C++

Please tell me what enterprise software is written in Java.

actually GTK is C, GTK+ is C++
but QT/KDE is all C++
Windows kernel is C, rest is C++

but yeah java isn't used for shit

c++ is where the big money apps are, don't let these college interns fool you
c# is gaining a ton of ground especially with the launch of .NET Core
Java is a joke

>Guaranteed Employment Tier
Java
PHP
Javascript (+meme framework of the month)
>Probably Employable Tier (Depends on the local job market)
C#
Python
C++
Go
>Potentially Employable Tier (You'll definitely have to move for work unless you're lucky)
Swift
Ruby
C
ASM
>Chronic Unemployment Tier
Everything else

You are such a shitposter.

>Java is a joke
>but yeah java isn't used for shit

You mean besides running the vast majority of web sites and mobile phones in the world?
The JVM is battle-hardened. It's incredibly efficient and reliable, and it's mature. The standard library is massive, and there are third-party libraries for everything under the sun (pun not intended).
Java is the definitive language in the enterprise realm. C# is gaining some ground, especially with .NET Core.

>Guaranteed Employment Tier
Add COBOL to that list. COBOL is one of the most widely used programming language in the world, with billions of lines being written each year still.
It has the added benefit of being difficult to find programmers for, so there's a lot more options available.

>Please tell me what enterprise software is written in Java.
Salesforce
Eloqua
Jive
SAP Application Server
Magnolia CMS
Gmail
NetApp
Marketo
Seibel CRM
Sprinklr
Oracle Enterprise One ERP...

One word
Android Developer Studio

>COBOL
Yeah, that definitely should be in the top tier. Fucking dozens of COBOL jobs around me and I'm in the middle of nowhere Ohio. If I were more of a masochist, I'd consider picking up COBOL and applying. Fortunately I'm a happy with my embedded job.

You can definitely tell which posters prioritize desktop applications over the mobile space, and vice versa, in this thread.

Literally all of those are meme tier.

>Gmail is a meme

>bloated
>insecure
>terrible IMAP support
>terrible ig
Yes. Terrible in the same way Windows is.

I'm sorry, maybe I should have specified non-bullshit non-meme enterprise software with a maturity of over 2 years

fucking kids, man. get a job

I live in a finance and logistics hub.
COBOL programmers with zOS mainframe experience are in high demand.
Closely followed by Java and C#. There are 2 positions for C++ developers, and one of them is for embedded medical devices.

>Please tell me what enterprise software is written in Java.
Google+
LinkedIn
Twitter Search
Amazon
NYSE trading system
NASA mission control software
JetBrains IDEs
Netflix's internal services
eBay
T-Mobile's infrastructure
Bank of America's infrastructure
Apple's infrastructure
Facebook's infrastructure
BMW's infrastructure
General Electric's infrastructure

I can do this all day. You should just look at some list of biggest companies. It's really hard to find any that doesn't use Java.

i like how nobody has mentioned VB, literally the most on-demand legacy language out there

>shit that makes ungodly amounts of money is terrible
wew, and I suppose that gnu/garbage shit you weeb on about is fantastic amirite?

It's not though.

I use *BSD, pal. JS is used virtually everywhere and makes shitloads of money, but it is an inherently shitty and abused language that makes abominations. Unless you use strict mode.

>I use *BSD, pal.

you are confusing web infrastructure with actual infrastructure

anyway as i pointed out earlier, i think we're seeing a divide between desktop devs and web/mobile devs

still im willing to bet c# will replace java and maybe c++ in both spaces within 5-10 years

I actually have things worth securing on my PC ;-)

the demand for legacy vb6 support is fucking enormous

is it? i can code classic vb in my sleep, was my first language

maybe time to hit up the job boards for some freelance bux

>building vulkan game engines from scratch

>you are confusing web infrastructure with actual infrastructure
no I'm not

>still im willing to bet c# will replace java and maybe c++ in both spaces within 5-10 years
why would it? it has no advantages over Java

>DYING Java arena

Neither does Bjarne but comeon, we can say he knows C++.

>T-Mobile
tmobile.careers/job-details/information-technology/91444BR-developer-software
>Designs, develops, and supports internal and external business systems/applications, databases, and system interfaces.

>Bank of America
careers.bankofamerica.com/job-detail/17057828/united-states/us/senior-application-developer?source=Indeed
>Develop, enhance, debugs, maintains and tests software application that support business units. Participate in the design, development and implementation of complex applications, often using new technologies. Skills include proficiency in ETL, JAVA.

>NASA
experienced-jpl.icims.com/jobs/7729/software-engineer---multi-mission-control-systems/job?mobile=false&width=1066&height=500&bga=false&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=0&jun1offset=0
You will be responsible for design, code and unit test of a wide variety of command and telemetry software applications and components for multiple NASA space missions under the Multi-Mission Control Systems (MMCS) program within the Multimission Ground Systems and Services (MGSS) Program Office.

>Apple
jobs.apple.com/search?job=99542001&openJobId=99542001
>We are looking for an energetic Java engineer to develop a critical infrastructure component that is to be a key part of the iCloud ecosystem.

You do get the point I am making right?