What was the first computer software you bought with your money? Gaymes and pre-installed Windows don't count

What was the first computer software you bought with your money? Gaymes and pre-installed Windows don't count.

Half Life 2

excluding games, learn to read ffs

Half Life 2

I live in central europe, so it was pretty natural to me to pirate everything I need (and many things I don't need). Even when I got new laptop with windows I erased the disk to get rid of shovelware and installed pirated ultimate version of Windows.

I'm 25 and my first legally bought license was Sublime Text 3. It's just so good software.

Windows 98 SE

Half Life 2

WinRAR

Probably something from my OSX phase, on Windows I would just torrent anything. I've never bought any big office suites or anything like that but simple 10€ ease of use software was pretty essential on Apple ten years ago.

I never paid for any software

If games don't count, then I've never bought software in my life. I used Linux or BSD since age 13.

Mobil apps, probably a video converter for windows phone back when it had future

xbox live

LukaV2 I guess.

>games don't count
That would be a tax software then, bought in 2016 I think

Guitar FX Box 3

Sublime Text

same

Same, if you exclude games. I never needed paid software to do something I can do with freeware/opensource shit.

Windows 95

Excluding games? MakeMKV, probably.

>buying software

Never bought any.

Do you use free as in free beer alternatives? Or do you just pirate shit?

Red hat 4.1 for my compaq presario 486 in 1997.

>free as in free beer alternatives?
They are usually shit compared to their commercial alternatives.
So yes, pirate shit, but not like a 16 year old script kiddie that becomes part of the botnet.

>pirate shit, but not like a 16 year old script kiddie that becomes part of the botnet
you must be so good at hacking software, what's your haxx0r nickname?

Holy shit I just realized I never bought software.

ayy me too only i buy CSGO and that only because my friend force me too

FL Studio

Excluding games and preinstalled Windows, I guess I've not bought any software.
I've given money to Canonical, Mint devs and recently UBports though.

poweramp for android.
Unless you count donations to free software projects as a purchase.

Not counting games: mIRC after god knows how long using it for free.
>Special offer, 5bux
May as well.

This. Who the fuck pays for a software lmao

shit was awesome

Its gonna be half life 3

I have never purchased software. I've used GNU/Linux since I got my first computer.

bumping the question

>buying software

ubuntu on CD. Paid 20 cents for it. This was back in 2001.

soldat

Game Maker 6.1

Don't be a dumbass, that's the only requirement.

game is dead now.

Ubuntu didn't even exist in 2001.

There is no reason to pay for any software, if you want something for private use free alternatives are good enough, if you need something to work your boss will buy it for you and if you're freelancer buying it is a waste of money because free alternatives are good enough and you're a failure pretending to be professional anyway.

that was like 13 years ago. I would be surprised if it weren't

Guild Wars or something

It was this:
Tho before that my dad brought me all office / windows / printer and all sorts of other software for free due to the nature of his work, but my tricky mind discovered piracy early even tho my family had money... it seemed simpler and faster + saving money to pirate

>free alternatives are good enough and you're a failure pretending to be professional anyway
not really
of course you can spend few weeks to configure vim/emacs to work as IDE, but if you work with pictures or videos there's hardly "good enougth" free software

Age of empires 3

CrossOver. Money well spent.

Probably this thing after winning $80 in a Lego contest.

Amazing that a 3D movie creator could run in 8MB RAM.

LSDJ
Think I only spent a dollar

Congrats on your hidden propaganda BSD cuck, I bet you scam a lot of programmer into letting corporations steal their code by not using GPL.

Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Design Premium

Windows 3.11

Half Life 2

Windows 8

Half life 2

Fedora Core 3 on DVD.

since you asked OP, I realised I have never bought any software besides games and windows.

hahaha corporate fags BTFO

i also never donate to any donateware or wikipedia "personal appeal" BS.

3DRAD - like the Unity game engine, but from 1999

seriously you all are gnu/autists or steal your software? gross

Milkshape. I don't think I've purchased anything else.

I've never bought any software other than gaymes. I'm using mostly free (as in €) software and some pirated stuff

No games, then never. I have never bought any software.

Honestly none.

As a kid I pirated games and got windows 95 pre installed.

As an adult I moved to Linux.

>paying for software

devil daggers

>if you want something for private use free alternatives are good enough
this is what freetards actually believe
it's sad and it's incredible hard to work with those kind of people in society

FxHome Effects Lab Pro. I used to do Star Wars fan videos with my friends when I was 12.

Poweramp on android

open source is cool but not all software developers want to spend 8 hours a day making software for free

I bought winedt, a LaTeX editor for windows. This was back when people still bought software and I still used windows.

this, many many years ago.

>he thinks open source devs are always unpaid
Maybe you have never heard of openstack, linux, mongodb and many other. Educate yourself.

>BSD
quick rundown on this please?
>money to be had
huh?

linux is a kernel faggot are you telling me the kernel just generates free money when you develop software with it?

Find me a free alternative to Mobaxterm that isn't total shit and even comes close to the functionality.

You can always sell your software, even if it's free software

Ableton Live Suite 9

Bought a couple of Windows keys on ebay for £4, probably ruskie shit but they work fine. I guess thats not really "legit".

half life 2

Interstate 76

you do not deserve to be spoonfed

All of my life, I have only ever used Free Software. From the time I was a child, I understood the gravity of using non free programs, and simply refused to use them.

BSD license grants true freedom over the code. GPL grants quasi-complete freedom, the only restriction being that you can't impede the freedom of others.

BSD users develop a superiority complex over this all the while failing to understand why they get routinely fucked over by networking giants. Linux and GNU enjoy steady growth in the meantime.

Actually, legitimately bought?
Dance eJay, probably.

I bought a metronome app for Android.

is windows XP counted If the windows is not pre-installed and i need to purchase it separately??

Unironically, Linux.
It was Red Hat Linux 5.0 (notice the lack of "Enterprise"). It came with a book.

>only restriction being that you can't impede the freedom of others
only restriction being that you force others who want to use your code to use same license

inb4 noone forces you to use GPL software
noone forces me to use proprietary software either and that doesn't make it free

Mac OS X 10.1

Pirated everything as a kid.
Switched to linux in the 2002.
Work gives me licenses for free for Microsoft shit.
Only pirated software I still use is CS2.

I honestly don't think I've spent a dime on software other then games.

No, you bought a book that came with a linux cd.

He bought a Linux CD that came with a book.

The book was literally 100% documentation. is right.