KDE announces partnership with Purism to work together on 'World's First Truly Free Smartphone'

kde.org/announcements/kde-purism-librem5.php

>Purism and KDE are partnering to help KDE adapt Plasma Mobile to Purism's Librem 5 smartphone.

>KDE develops Plasma Mobile, a free, open and full-featured graphical environment for mobile devices. Plasma Mobile has been tested on several off-the-shelf devices. However, most smartphones include hardware that requires proprietary software to work. This clashes with KDE's principles of freedom and openness. It also makes building difficult, since many details of the hardware are kept secret, preventing complete access to all the components.

>Purism, the manufacturer that builds high-quality, top of the range and freedom-respecting devices, is currently running a crowdfunding campaign which will allow the company to build the first fully free and open smartphone: The Librem 5.

>The shared vision of freedom, openness and personal control for end users has brought KDE and Purism together in a common venture. Both organisations agree that cooperating will help bring a truly free and open source smartphone to the market. KDE and Purism will work together to make this happen.

Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I might actually get a phone if it's something like this. But then again, I don't really need a phone for anything. I don't have any friends.

Don't worry, this phone won't have any apps to communicate with friends anyway.

This. I would own a smartphone if I received more than one text message a month, usually from my employer or coworkers. Unfortunately, smartphones for me are just a burden, since they burn up battery so fast. And I don't get enough out of my phone that I want to have to charge my phone that I don't use every other day.

>yet another dead-before-arrival full Linux OSS phone

See also: MeeGo, Sailfish, Ubuntu Phone OS, Firefox Phone, Sailfish

What does OSS stand for?

babby's first time on g

what no it doesn't

I didn't recognize the acronym OSS, because nobody writes OSS. If you meant to write FOSS, just write FOSS. That's the whole point of the phone, anyway.

Also, yeah, I feel like the biggest hurdle this Purism will have to jump is literally just managing to get the point of being able to ship. And then everything thereafter, well, nobody really knows, since nobody's ever gotten there.

>Sailfish twice
Kekked, then felt sad

normies get out reeeee

I hope this whole post is ironic.

This. I miss the days of dumbphones where they'd last weeks on a battery. These new smartphones just last a day or so. And that's without even using them since there's no need for a phone, it just sits there with the screen off all day. It's ridiculous.

idk, i own an average chink phone and it lasts at least half a week on a single charge with average daily usage.

How will they get people to write mobile apps for it?

Half a week is still just three days.

three days is three times a single day so i don't see your point? you whine it's a single day, i say it's hard to get it to drain that fast.
anyways, if you want 2 weeks, no one is stopping you from getting a dumbphone.
it's all a tradeoff, pick your own.

Yes, but three days is a tenth of a month. I'm not disagreeing with your latter point, but it's a really huge tradeoff.

I think that's due to the lack of tons of background processes like you'd find in smartphones.

Dumbphone operating systems were extremely simple, were used primarily for calling and texting others and did few things. Smartphones are essentially pocket computers capable of almost anything, of which the phone functionality takes a backseat to the internet-based functionalities.

if it's anything like desktop linux
just screech at people until something is slapped together and barely works

That . . . that actually doesn't sound like an unreasonable plan.

>tfw my phone battery only lasts an infinitesimal fraction of the age of the universe

All I want is an OK web browser, an email client, and the ability to call/text. If they can manage that I will get it.

You're a cunt.

>KDE
battery life must be atrocious on this thing.

It's not XFCE its shit
Unless I can put XFCE on it

Like all purism products, there is absolutely nothing about it that is "free"

it will still need non-free drivers and firmware at the very minimum. It will also be non-free at the hardware level.

>Spend +$500 on a phone
>The DE crashes every hour
So THIS is the power of Free Software™

You probably can, but don't expect any usability from a from using a desktop UI designed for a 12"+ desktop/laptop screen with a mouse and keyboard on a 5" smartphone.

At that point, wouldn't it just be a crappy pda? Actually, what's separating this smartphone from a pda? A phone-like gui? A keyboard?

>His phone doesn't have a regenerating battery that recharges from the friction that results from his finger swiping the screen

I hope that Purism actually managed to make something fully free instead of fully free*, and since KDE is throwing its weight behind it, maybe they've done it.
It's not far fetched to believe that they want to do something actually free, but had to settle for "mostly free" and just mislead everyone along the way.

Puppy pls

A cellular modem.

FOSS != OSS

I'll admit, I've never seen anyone say OSS, though.

I'm not a freetard and think the FOSS standards are unreasonable and unrealistic, but I'll probably switch to this phone just to stop giving jewgle my money and information.

>325,000/1,500,000 funded
>a month left

Looks like Sup Forumsentoomen are too poor to fund anything. What a surprise.

>smartphones just last a day or so.
should last a week easily in standby

>Meego was killed by Microsoft to eliminate their most potential competitor right from the start
>Firefox phone was for absolute poor people in need of anything that could connect to cellular network, the hardware was crappier than five year old smartphones
>Sailfish only had one product which was clever but at the time of release there was better hardware already available and they never brought an upgraded model out
>Ubuntu phone had semi-decent hardware later but they were sold out constantly so no one could buy them
Software is important but nobody buys physical garbage. Sailfish is now shilling their software to other companies so they don' have to make the hardware anymore. I hope they get some flagship tier phones out one day. Nobody else did. I know this because I was waiting with my hand in my wallet to see something great.

Ordered the dev kit today. Maybe one day i'll replace this n5

A-ackshully I make 600k a year

Yeah, well that's my point. The whole appeal of the phone is that it's FREE software. Not just OSS. So the fact that he would make a concerted effort to use an abnormal acronym like OSS just to omit the "F" is about as retarded as it is confusing.

I just want this phone to make it easy to develop in something other than Java and using standard unix autism. Trying to make a little personal app for Android without several gigs of google ide and compiler and god only knows what else is horrible. I just want to whip up a quick little thing in C/C++ and build it with a simple makefile.

>open plasma mobile site
>see this
Holy shit that's my phone, they're developing it for OnePlus?

are you a time traveler
put me in the screenshot

too much bezels

If only we were around when John Titor was still a thing.

This, but then again, that's exactly the only difference between any PDA and any smartphone. So with this said, an iPod Touch is basically a PDA derived from an iPhone. Kewl.

I like plasma and I don't like phone oses. Hopefully I like this and can put it on my phone.

Problem with MeeGo: Nokia was part of it and Microsoft got involved.
Problem with Sailfish: They don't sell to the US. If you're going to sell a product, you should sell it to every country you can send mail to.
Problem with Ubuntu Phone, Firefox Phone: 0 effort.

vaporware

The problem with most of them is actually the same: no one wants to invest money in R&D of new products if the previous ones didn't bring enough profit to justify. And in the smartphone market, you need to update your specs every 6 months or so in order to at least keep up, which means continuous R&D.

It's so attractive, but it looks like it isn't going to be funded. :(
It's almost halfway through the campaign and it's only ~1/5 of the way funded.
I hope there are other phones in the future where you can install any distro on, have an hdmi out, and have hardware kill switches for things like the cellular broadband.

t. iSuckcock

the chinz have made much better content since, they'll make anime about us too someday
it is our turn darn it

Problem is most phone applications you actually require(bank stuff and social services provide applications for example) are only for android and ios. So unless they can quarantee you can run all android applications in the phone it's dead.
Living with sailfish currently, can manage but it's painful and requires some tinkering every now and then.

Why don't you just use a browser instead? You'll have a full browser.

this phone is already dead, why does kde thinks that they can make what Ubuntu couldn't? They should be focusing on their ultra bloated plasma 5 that is still beta

Well current banking requires 2way authentication and the only applications they provide for it are for are native android and ios.

>projecting low wage fag
I gag korean cock
its much much more prettier and easier to handle because of it

Maybe you'll need someone to take the source code and port it to a standard linux application.
>inb4 you are running a nonfree application from your bank

>implying there's any open source software in banking

The problem is the smartphone paradigm is treating the phone as one giant unknown that nobody can predict what people will do with.
The old dumbphones could last a week where you made calls, answered texts, received emails.
I get that when we use it for more things, it uses more battery, but the standby time is nowhere near the dumbphones days.
Just something like checking emails is a huge drain now because the hardware is not optimized to be low power.
The system is a mess because it is not optimized to be a phone.
The keyboard is still not good.
The light control is not good.
The sound control is not good.
The alarm is not good.
The notification system is a mess.
The boot time is embarrassing.

These are all basic things that nobody involved with making phone software is capable of solving.

All progress is being stopped because of abandoned software patents and idiots in charge.
Dumbphones at least just paid to use the patents and then got done with it.

>KDE phone

No thanks.

> Truly Free
> with the same SIM proprietary code

ESXi is Linux-based.

Nah, Sup Forums is just too deep into the FOSS meme and demands everything for free

Will plasma active ever be finished?

Anbox could make it possible to run Android apps.

I fckn need this

the campaign mentions using gnome, but this seem like a better partnership.
puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
599 for a vaporware phone seems to be a bit out there, but it would be cool.
Right now, the oneplus or the nexus 5x seems like better options though.

>Doesn't run Android so no apps
Dead on arrival.

If it can run regular desktop apps, development is a lot easier.

motherfuckers

it was fine with gnome 3

plasma mobile renders look great but the actual software has been in active development for at least two years and it's still completely unusable

you can't even connect to a network because the interface is so broken

try actually installing this piece of shit

They should rather put the effort into making kde stable.

I am fine with a 10 years old motorola atrix.
Cyanogenmod installed -> equivalent to android 4.4.4 -> Can do whatever any smartphone user can do.
Without google botnetting constantly -> battery life lasts 2 times longer.

Can open a terminal and use htop !

I WISH I COULD USE PYTHON ON MY PHONE !1!!1!!

Still don't know about lineage.

>'World's First Truly Free Smartphone'
$0

It's not actually going to become anything, so what does it matter?

I hope they reach their goal

Ubuntu phone v2?

I wonder how much of KDE will be directly ported. Because I imagine that would be a nightmare with all the dependency issues. I hope this means easy porting to other android based operating systems

The problem is we could just fork android since its mostly oss. Instead pleb devs feel the need for credit where its barely due and make their own os that fixes no issues besides being oss (needs features aside from that).

What's wrong with just using something like lineagos as a base

If they would just make their own version of android they would be tied to apps dependent on gapps, by using linux they dont have to

How would that tie them to gapps? Android ships without gapps and I'm using it right now no issues. Besides, android is "Linux".

>have to pay $600 to get the smartphone
The thing is that I still have my moto G after 3 years and it is still okay. It costed 200€ or something like this. Why should I spend so much on a smartphone if I don't need ?
>inb4 poorfag
I got enough income to buy whatever I want, but it doesn't mean I should buy unnecessary overpriced trash some company wants to sell me.

I hope it won't be.
Canonical were retards with ubuntu touch. Instead of focusing releasing a minimal and stable product they wasted resources on re-inventing the wheel and providing features almost no one wanted.

I hope they'll provide something nice, with a terminal emulator, access to any part of the device, per app authorisation control, ability to install android apps (and later try to bring native apps)

Also ubuntu touch for some reason went with QML and other shit where developing something was a real pain in the ass. I hope they won't be as retarded and provide a better API

But that's not GNU/Linux. These guys are looking to make a GNU/Linux phone.

This

Also, Librem are marketing their devices to tech-illiterate paranoid autists, they aren't planning to make a "FOSS phone", they're planning to sell subpar chinkphones with a quirky firmware at a premium price to a bunch of retards, don't hold ye breath.

The device itself isn't even going to have libre hardware and Librem don't have the manpower to polish and maintain Plasma mobile enough to make a good phone firmware.

newfag

If it runs "ok"I'd still get it

Ubuntards btfo!

Will they allow "nazis" to use it?

>current banking requires 2way authentication and the only applications they provide for it are for are native android and ios.
Bull shit. Name one bank that requires you to even own a phone to use it.

When we call software “free,” we mean that it respects the users' essential freedoms: the freedom to run it, to study and change it, and to redistribute copies with or without changes. This is a matter of freedom, not price, so think of “free speech,” not “free beer.”

These freedoms are vitally important. They are essential, not just for the individual users' sake, but for society as a whole because they promote social solidarity—that is, sharing and cooperation. They become even more important as our culture and life activities are increasingly digitized. In a world of digital sounds, images, and words, free software becomes increasingly essential for freedom in general.

Nab, although its optional (not him obv)

>tfw I've read "Purism and KDE are Poettering to help KDE...."

Didn't those have zero marketing and thus no one knew about them?

It's sort of interesting but I'm more interested in running PostmarketOS on my current phones. Still hope the crowdfunding succeds, even though I'm unlikely to buy it.

>I WISH I COULD USE PYTHON ON MY PHONE !1!!1!!
But you can. Pretty sure you can grab the arm version of the intepreter and just run it like you would on any other computer.

>>>yet another dead-before-arrival full Linux OSS phone
>See also: MeeGo,

Had Maemo/meego phone, still the best one I've had

> Sailfish

Had this one too, was pretty great but had shitty hardware

> Ubuntu Phone OS, Firefox Phone
these had shitty hardware

Make a proper phone with a current year's specs and I'll consider it.

Sailfish arrived too late when everyone was on android. It needed a powerful company to back it and Sony abandoned ship but even it wouldn't be enough. And being on shit phones wasn't helping.
Ubuntu Phone was a shit project to begin with and they didn't make enough devices, plus they were on some weak and overpriced chink devices. Canonical never even wanted to pursue Ubuntu Mobile.
Firefox OS was on shit hardware. iOS and Android phones were also shit at first. I mean the first 4 iPhones were terrible and android only got decent on v3. But they were backed by rich companies so they managed to develop. Android was shit up until 5.1/6.0, iOS is still bad but at least has powerful phones running it.

I'd buy it but it seems like they don't have enough backers, only 20% of the planned goal. So I doubt they'll succeed. And they only plan on publishing the devices in 2019, that's a long wait. But I'll invest and see if they'll make it. Having android emulation would be very nice. So I wonder why they didn't go with sailfish and just made an open source UI (I think sailfish only has a proprietary UI).