80% of PC use in actual work is spreadsheet

>80% of PC use in actual work is spreadsheet
>spreadsheet is just numbers
Why do we have fancy GUI on every office boxes? It only encourages office drones to waste their time on the internet. We should go back to somethin glike pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

inconsolation.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/scim-bringing-spreadsheets-back-to-the-present/
adrianjwells.freeuk.com/minmansc.pdf
github.com/andmarti1424/sc-im
9p.io/wiki/plan9/mouse_vs._keyboard/index.html
github.com/andmarti1424/sc-im/blob/freeze/LICENSE#L6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is there a good terminal spreadsheet tool?

sc

some of us use macros, which are infinitely faster to set up with a gui

Spreadshit monkeys are now using Python to do spreadshit.

See the explosion in use of the Python "pandas" "big data analysis (i.e. boss decided Excel is too slow)" package.

>tfw I'm that monkey in the office that uses pandas

Hey my mom used to do accounting with that up to like 2004 when this DOS computer caught fire. Good times.

THIS

SC-IM is an improvement over regular sc inconsolation.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/scim-bringing-spreadsheets-back-to-the-present/

Here is an intro to regular sc adrianjwells.freeuk.com/minmansc.pdf

By the way, SC-IM can import and export xlsx, is scriptable with LUA, and other nifty stuff github.com/andmarti1424/sc-im

Why do we have iPhones and Pixels when we can all get by with a Nokia 3310? Why have air bags and traction control in cars when we can get by with a '76 Buick?

Kill yourself OP.

kys hipster faggot

look good for me

>Why do we have iPhones and Pixels when we can all get by with a Nokia 3310?
these consumer products are for entertainment, not productivity
>Why have air bags and traction control in cars when we can get by with a '76 Buick?
these are safety feature proven to increase the probability you'll arrive in 1 piece

There are many places that uses DOS-based programs. In fact the newest OS i've ever seen on offices and other enterprises have been XP. Even Windows 7 is kinda rare, let alone 8 or 10

if software companies released one "good enough" version and just maintained that, they'd go bankrupt. instead, they have to justify an upgrade every few years. most of those upgrades were cosmetic, resulting in the mess we have now.

>most of those upgrades were cosmetic, resulting in the mess we have now.
So true it hurts

It's gonna take a hell of a lot to drag me away from excel, but scim does seem neat.

Where the fuck do you work?

I work for small Property Management company and our oldest OS is 7.

Though or main software suite runs on VMS that we terminal into.

I know what you mean, although I try not to rely on specific features my job require some quirks. But if I can set an standard and the xlsx conversion is good I am jumping to scim, most spreadsheet programs have been nothing but problem one way or another and I need something like this.

Don't really work there, but I have put my nose in offices from different companies in my country. (Cargo, electric companies, etc) Depending of the workplace, the PC will have either XP, 2000 or Red Hat, using console-based programs almost all the time.
The only times i've seen computers with modern Windows OS or Ubuntu running applications with "proper gui" has been in places where the people in charge have little to no idea about how to use a computer. And once again, not a single PC with 8, 8.1 or 10

It's kinda funny to think that in my country, the only computers running 8.1 or 10 are PCs and laptops used by the average consumer

Do you even know about scripting

Just because you're incapable of adapting to new tools doesn't mean everyone else is.

When you actually have to get shit done, fucking around with a slow old piece of shit with poor design and ergos doesn't help anything.

This post is so wrong I don't even know where to start. New doesn't mean more productive, new design is not guarantee of being better for the user.

If you can't adapt to a more productive GUI-less environment don't drag others with your failure, is only your fault.

>implying

The worlds best programmers don't use outdated meme software.

Actual professionals need to be able to perform at least at 80% capacity while on the move.

Not to mention the opportunity costs of having to waste time training yourself to use obtuse shit, instead of being able to get up and running immediately.

Just because you're a lazy hipster doesn't mean that new designs are 'unnecessary'. No matter how much you want to convince yourself, you're not clever for being able to learn some deprecated bullshit.

Nice wordplay, everything you say can be applied to you. And as you were marked first as the hipster faggot I guess you got hurt by the critic.

Go cry somewhere else and let people work, for real.

>babby needs traction control and a botnet car
just use the bus

Explain how you're going to check email, check issue trackers, documentation, do research, use shared calendars, or literally anything else you need to do in a modern business setting, with a Nokia.

I also guarantee that you could get 10 random people up and running and doing work within 15 minutes or less on modern software, vs whatever esoteric gay shit you're shilling.

There's a reason why actual successful businesses, and professionals don't fuck around with old software - it's because the new software is better, but keep trying to convince yourself you know better, lol.

The fuck are you talking about, I was talking about spreadsheets here, if you got told for off-topic is only your fault.
I bet you are jobless right now or have a shitty job in a call center.

There is absolutely no reason for GUIs if you make your job. Actually, the reason behind the creation of WordGrinder was to not get in your way when you need a word processor, and it can even import and export to .docx to work in group. We know the writer from Game of Thrones still use WordPerfect, I guess because he knows having a cluttered screen can be a disadvantage.

>We should go back to somethin glike pic related.
Nope, never. What companies should do is just buy cheap hardware that they can easily service and then install Linux Mint on it and just it for 10 years with WPS or Libre Office.

Sup Forums and /lit/ approved

>It only encourages office drones to waste their time on the internet.

I step in the right direction would be just to block internet unless its needed.

This is a great way to make everyone miserable and unproductive.

>self-documenting
>data eventually needs to be presented in a human-readable format that WYSIWYG facilitates far more effectively
>multitasking isn't just a toy for dicking around
We didn't use those interfaces because they were good or efficient, we used them because our braindead 16-bit chips choked on simple math. Nobody liked that shit, nobody was more productive with that shit, that's why the second Windows 3.x and Excel became viable, everyone and their fucking dog jumped ship to it. The time "office drones" allegedly waste on the internet was instead spent reading manuals, navigating menus, switching applications and tying up the help desk with inane questions.
This post reeks of projection.

>It's the daily GUI's are shit, modern tech is shit, we should go back to the 70's circlejerk
Sasuga Sup Forums

not using a mouse can be more efficient for many tasks

Not with spreadsheets though.
Or actually mouse is more efficient in every way, as told by Rob Pike.
9p.io/wiki/plan9/mouse_vs._keyboard/index.html

What if you want to visualise a graph?

huh
github.com/andmarti1424/sc-im/blob/freeze/LICENSE#L6
Dude, just slap MIT or BSD license on it, not this custom crap!

Singular tasks, not everything. There's a reason mice and GUIs first started appearing on development workstations decades before they really came to consumer hardware in earnest.

"Custom"? This is a traditional 4-clause BSD license you retard. Get off my board and go back to Hacker News.

>people advocating new products over old ones are hipsters
Do words mean nothing in this brave new world of ours?

>preferring 'vintage' software because it's 'more authentic'
Yes, you're a hipster faggot, kill yourself.

You do realize you're arguing for my position, right? Or do you not bother to read posts before replying?

>these consumer products are for entertainment, not productivity
Because nobody checks the e-mail with their phones to remind them to go somewhere

Because it looks more appealing to have a smooth GUI

As much as I hate excel, making spreadsheets in cmi sounds even worse.

I bet your program can't into pivot tables.

Because it' eyejarring if everything looks the same

plus it's easier to sort stuff with colors

>Implying I don't use my Osborne with CP/M for this

OK, it's not custom. But there is a reason that the ad clause was dropped in later BSD licenses.

Give me the tl;dr on what pivot tables are

Pretty aesthetic, brah.

I do my stuff with groff.

I actually prefer the OOTB aesthetics of that over LaTex.

>The worlds best programmers don't use outdated meme software
rms and knuth both use emacs, which is pretty fucking old, and has become a meme, regardless of how popular it is.
dennis ritchie (rip) and rob pike both use acme, which is outdated and a meme
brian kerningham and bjarne stroustrup use sam, which is also outdated and a meme (i believe ken thompson used to, but i don't know what he uses now)
linus torvalds (who is actually a very good programmer, regardless of what people on here will tell you) uses a modified version of an old emacs clone that doesn't have a gui.

Or just log the active window and send it to the boss, then multiply the salary with the amount of time spent in excel/office.

mysql

make everyone's job just that much more of a pain in the ass, yea that's a good thing.

>'76 Buick
What the fuck is wrong with that?
>too wide to cut off
>muh murrican made engine
>ram dipshits

don't forget wishing they were dead, thats another thing everyone who is forced to work and only work for 8+ hour days spends a long time doing if not distracted.

This post reeks of samefag.

Sexy retro look

Sexy indeed

More?