What's the best portable music player that isn't a phone and isn't overpriced?

What's the best portable music player that isn't a phone and isn't overpriced?

Other urls found in this thread:

sandisk.com/home/mp3-players/clip-sport
nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
amazon.ca/ROCKER-Gapless-Bluetooth-Quality-Supports/dp/B01NBRJBOH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just use your god damned phone. No you literally can't tell the difference between 320k MP3 and lossless 1,000,000 Khz 4092-bit audio. Jesus christ.

iPod Touch 128 GB

Isn't the ceo of apple a fruit?

If you have to ask, then you probably have shit headphones and source files and won't hear a difference.

/thread

I've owned a dedicated meme DAP and used CIEMS and have gone back to using mp3s and my phone. I'm all for great gear and flac when listening at home but fuck caring about it when out and about. May as well wear a fedora and vape.

>replying to yourself

Regarding OP's pic, if I was wanting to get a Fiio, which model is worth getting?

>owning a cell phone
>voluntarily holding a GPS tracker on your person every time you leave the house

>"I have superhuman hearing and cal easily tell the difference between 320k MP3 and lossless 1 billion THz 9001 MB audio XD"

Go fuck yourself. You can't remove the 3.5mm port from all your phones and then complain when people go back to music players that have it. And just because you can't tell the difference (or don't care to tell the difference) between a properly mixed record and a poorly mixed "lol just use the basic presets in Pro Tools" or "hehe just use Maximus" trashbang doesn't mean others can't. You sound like the same type of faggot that says "1440p on phones are too much, you can't see past 1080p ;P" while holding the phone 2 inches from your face like some autistic dumbass.

So what do you say when the potential employer asks you for your number at a job interview?

Did you forget landlines exist? Dumbass.

So you're literally at home all day?

I have a cell phone, it just doesn't leave my desk.

Were you born after 2000?

Sansa Clip Zip, all the way.

>take out phone to change songs
>get stolen 5 seconds later
at the very least this is how it will go in my shithole

Xduoo X3, dual microSD with rockbox support.

why did they discontinue this anyway?

Just use your phone user. Any high def audio equipment should be kept in your home.

Get a nice stereo system and make a home theatre or something.

5th gen iPod Classic, get one with a broken HDD and fix it yourself with an SSD or SD card and an adapter, maybe upgrade the battery too since you've already got it cracked open. If you or someone you know is good at soldering, you could even add Bluetooth.

This lil nigga with Rockbox

I bought it off of some girl in college for $5

very true, i bought one when they first came out around 2009/10 and i really cant find anything that works as well as it (size, physical controls, file support via rockbox, microsd support up to 256gb. battery life of 24hrs).

trust me, i've looked for better alternatives around the same price. only thing that comes close is an ipod classic, but that's a lot more work to get it to the same level as the clip+

>use your phone
>phones killing headphone jacks
Now what? Guess I need an mp3 player again.

>not buying a used iPod classic
>not hacking it with 500gb SD
>not hacking it with rockbox
Top plen

ipod 5g with ssd and good aftermarket battery

there is a guide floating around if anyone's interested

>>not buying a used iPod classic
i don't have that kind of money

Well what kind of money do you have?

I got one a couple of years ago, looks similar
sandisk.com/home/mp3-players/clip-sport
It is great
Battery life is very long
One you get use to the menus it is easy to navigate
It is very and portable
No shitty iTunes. Put in the USB and it opens like any other drive, and you just copy files to folders like any other drive.

It was really cheap too, I think it was under $70 Canadian

I don't recall the size I got, might have been 8 gigs. Then I added an sd card and expanded it.

So you literally went on your phone and turned off wifi to respond to yourself?
That's fucking sad

i primarily use my phone cuz google music/podcasts/youtube/etc. but i still carry around my Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra...no device to date mastered environment effects as well to me..

>literally "reeeee I don't have the money to buy higher fidelity audio equipment so everything sounds the same XD audiphools ECKS DEEEE"
Go back to funnyjunk if Sup Forums isn't your speed buddy

not pic related

What about this?

i don't know enough about apple hardware

This is nothing Apple-specific, it's all standard hardware. You literally just crack it open and put things in the only places they fit.

>CF to SD
why not just CD to msata ssd?
256gb is dirt cheap

was too much for him so I went for a smallish SD card instead of an SSD

makes sense
did the ssd+3000mAh+new chassis mod with rockbox recently

Nice, I just bought a Mini I'm going to mod, the replacement HDD cable got lost in the mail so I've got to order another or find my other Mini though

Coming across some extra moolah soon

I need me a

- player than can play OPUS
- decent screen
- long battery life
- expandable storage

Any candidates?

that's unfortunate

Those small items are always more prone to loss, especially from China

Is it really that bad to want a dedicated PMP?

Here is a guide for outfitting the ipod 5G with msata ssd, large battery etc

nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/

The Rockboxed clip was still a better player by a longshot. Those dedicated buttons for all functions in that small profile made it the best exercise device.

the zune.

too bad its discontinued

For me, it's more about the battery life -- not the sound quality.

here's mine (fuze v2)

Your phone is pretty much guaranteed to have a better portable DAC than anything in its price range.
If you're not going for Astell & Kern, and you have a smartphone, don't bother with portable music players.

how would a complete newfag make this work without screwing it up? I've got a 160 gig but could use more space

No. Eat shit.
>no headphone jack
>can't access all the controls without taking it out of pocket
>DAC optimized for voice instead of music
>might end up needing that extra battery charge on the phone

Clip+ Rockbox etc

Not my picture but that's the now playing screen I use.

hmm, didn't know that
i guess that's why i shouldn't assume
what kind of music do you listen too?

Yes, this is the best. It's literally perfect; could use it until you're old based on current functionality.

Pointless recommending the clip now that it has been discontinued.
Unless you can somehow find one cheap it's not worth the current amount most ask for

noob question because i just use my phone, but does itunes still work with ipods?

All of them are overpriced.
They might be cheaper than phones but still overpriced.

you can find one for ~$50 on ebay which is what I paid new 10 years ago. Adjust for inflation and it's still a good price considering you'll probably get another ten years out of it.

Just check out the tutorials and see if it's something you can do.

Yes

I was looking a while before i got mine and couldn't fins a thread, i love pic related had for almost a month, is a great option and supports all formats and up to 256gb micro sd! + bluetooth if thats your thing

that would be nice if i knew what that was

rockbox devices

some can have hardware mods like battery/flash replacement which prolong their life by a lot

sry no link also has cheaper variations.
amazon.ca/ROCKER-Gapless-Bluetooth-Quality-Supports/dp/B01NBRJBOH

sry g

>This item does not ship to your selected location.

I paid 25 new in box ~4years ago and understandably so because there was no general market for these. 10 years ago there was still a good market

imo it was never worth more than 25. It's a cheap quality but good device. The front paneling cracked and buttons were ceasing to function a year and a half in.

>The front paneling cracked and buttons were ceasing to function a year and a half in.

My experience is completely different. I carry it to work every day and I work in a factory up and down ladders in and out of forklifts lifting heavy shit all day and it still looks almost pristine. Bit of scuffing from being carried in my pocket with change and shit and a slightly lower battery life is the only thing wrong. Might be you just got one from a shitty run.

shit man, idk what to say

A used iPod mini with a storage upgrade

I'm getting a ruizu x06. Got good reviews and recommended in /csg/. Got it for $25 on ebay new. Waiting for it to show up in the mail, hope it works alright. The main selling point was it's super cheap and has the longest battery life (100 hours, though I'm sure that's a best case scenario.)

Where in the absolute fuck do I find a portable MP3 player at least 250GB in size? The shithole 160GB iPod isn't big enough for me

Even cheap chinese players will run up to 256GB with a microSD card.

Reencode your audio to a lower bitrate. You ears can't tell a difference, especially if you are listening in a noisy place with portable earphones. 160 GB should be more than enough for anyone.

Chances are that mine is the "way past market prime" batch while yours was a better standard when there was still a market and quality mattered

Then maybe you retards should stop buying phones without headphone jacks in them.

Thanks for the concern, but i found out the problem
I'm not canadian. just searched it on amazon.com and everything works out

Well, makes me glad to be an oldfag then. Learn a lesson kids: jump on hype trains asap

If shit gets stolen on your shithole of a town within 5 seconds of taking it out of your pocket, you should probably just buy a fucking gun first.

Even with a headphone jack, phones are suboptimal. I wasn't able to find a decent phone that has PHYSICAL BUTTONS that are essential when listening to music or podcasts while working and you need to pause or whatever. I completely despise touch screens and how this evil has infected every aspect of mobile computing.

Besides that there's the important issue of battery life. A decent DAP can last dozens or hundreds of hours when your smartphone will only last a few. Also you aren't out much if it breaks or gets stolen, which is a concern for every everyday carry item.

sweet to hear man

lots of stuff. Except nigger music and country. This are in short supply.

Yep.

You sound like me

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get two 128's? Do the higher capacity SD cards still run the risk of burning out easier?

Son of a bitch. I lost my Zune last winter and sulked for a week. Now I'm back on eBay and I'm close to throwing out $150 for a 32 GB.
Fuck using phones, they're too damn big and I don't like sharing a battery.

There are chink android daps.
They're all top of the line stuff though. $300+.

You can easily tell that your garbage lossy file replaces frequencies with white noise. Especially above 10k and below 200

I can understand the sulking. The Zune HD was I think the last great PMP before everything shifted to being phone-based.

Just the fact you mention file types that use bitrate means you don't know dick about audio

you sound just like me when I was unemployed, you want grandpa shit the rest of the market clearly does not care about and gets along fine without and try to play it off as some kind of "work" requirement when the reality is that you're just too lazy look slightly in the direction of your device to hit the lock button and pause the song and/or unable to purchase headphones with volume/playback controls

then you try to throw in the battery life buzzphrase, as if that thing isn't going to be spending the majority of its lifetime connected to a power source especially if you're primarily using it while "working"

Yup. I got a benjie x1, small little thing lasts 20hrs.

>use phone for music during 2 hour train ride into work
>use phone all day at work
>no charge left at the end of the day

or

>Use music player on train
>use phone at work
>use music player on way back
>both music player and phone still have plenty of charge

stm32 microcontroller on your own breadboard

No, I'm still using my Philips GoGear MP3 player that only supports .mp3 and .wma and has only 2GiB of storage. I couldn't be happier with it. When I'm home I have a low-end enthusiast setup (I honestly couldn't hear a difference past the stuff I bought) and a portable CD player with, again, low-end enthusiast headphones.
But when I'm on the go, sound quality be damned, I won't hear much of the 500MiB .flac with all the noises around me. "High-end" portable music players and headphones are the biggest meme that only normalfags larping as audiofags fall for.

All audio files have bitrates you moron. I assume you mean you aren't using lossy formats which is an obscene waste of space.

>I assume you mean you aren't using lossy formats which is an obscene waste of space.

you dun goofed steven hawking

le epic sansa clip meme

>not just getting a Ruizu XO2 for $15 and calling it a day

to make the shitty clip sport
god that thing sucks
I use it every day though, 200gb sd card, pretty comfy

I would like to get this but I hear the battery life is shit.

fiio x1
although interface is slower then Poweramp in my phone, and the sound is not fun

If you want a basic entry level player get the Walnut v2. Its screenless which means 20+ files will be annoying to navigate but it makes a great podcast device/long lofi mixes. Its also very rugged and usually 25$ great audio quality. Battery life on mine is 17 hours