What's with the current state of virtualization in 2017?

What's with the current state of virtualization in 2017?

Qemu is so slow and VirtualBox is bloated and requires admin rights.

kvm for linux, bhyve for bsd, xhyve for os x, windows users kill yourselves

>Qemu is so slow
No
>VirtualBox is bloated and requires admin rights.
No

>uses software rendering like a fag
>Qemu is so slow

>VirtualBox is bloated
>requires admin rights
not on Loonix

>xhyve for os x
Why? You could use native virtualization with parallels or wmware. But its a dumb idea anyway because it cant be used with dx11 vgpu.

Anyone know an emulator than can run Hackintosh? Virtualbox is extremely buggy for me. Probably gonna try to set it up on Qemu next week when I need to write some os x specific code for an application I'm writing.

How should I use kvm? Is qemu-kvm okay?

Is Microsoft Hyper-V good?

No Emulator can currently utilize GPU properly. They can emulate CPU and use CPU resources proper, but not GPU.

For a Microsoft product, under Windows 2016 it finally got pretty good desu.

No

Have you tried Settings > System > Acceleration > Paravirtualization Interface > Minimal?

not that user but the reason is obvious
xhyve: foss
parallels/vmware: proprietary

Yeah it's the standard way.

I have not. I'll write that down and try it next time, gotta reinstall the VM.

Actually Windows users should use VMware. Extremely fast if your PC ain't a bitch and you won't suffer any performance loss.

>Qemu is so slow
>I have no idea how to enable KVM

Ok guys. I've got a huge issue with Qemu. Every time I open or install a new VM the reso is 1280x768 and the window adjusts to 1280x720 reso (resizing window does not help) so I have to scroll the window with my mouse. It's the most irritating shit ever and I've tried everything.

Other than, it's far better than VirtualBox.

KVM is shit and doesn't work properly with AMD CPUs.

QEMU/KVM is very good and fast

No problems with a FX8350 or several Jewish cpus either. The problem is probably between the keyboard and chair

It really doesn't like Ryzen CPUs.

Whether that's an AMD or QEMU issue, I leave to you.

>Qemu
>slow
Maybe for you winfag

Maybe you haven't enabled it in UEFI.

DirectX 11 support for VMware when?

The NPT bug has been known for ten years or so.

>Qemu is so slow
Did you remember to use -enable-kvm to enable hardware acceleration?

Vmware is the best

Who gives a shit if it's FOSS or not???

>a virtualization tool that has access to the hardware requires admin

No fucking shit user

Autists, mostly. If you choose your tools based on the political status of their code rather than their functionality, you are too stupid to touch a computer.

> os x, windows users kill yourselves
Fuck you. Hyper V is bare metal supervisor and soo fast.

hyper v is shit

hyper-v and baremetal choose one.

spoken like a true autist

Enjoy getting banned because your opinions don't match with these of people who are running the website you're on.

wow almost like on this very website we post on!

reddit is foss and it can happen on some subreddits

>reddit is foss
*was

We're talking about software licenses, user. Try to keep up. Nobody gets banned from anything by running Windows.

>qemu is slow

have you ever heard of Vt-x?

people who have to pay for their software. we use virt extensively at work and we work in a heavily regulated industry. Using pirated software is all our competitors would need to slap an injunction on us.

forgot to add, and buying vmware licenses for every developer at a startup is an awful waste of money. Better to use kvm/qemu, but we can't do that on dev laptops that run macOS.

So currently we use virtualbox there, but a bhyve port is super cool.

>VirtualBox is bloated and requires admin rights.
modprobe vboxdrv
maybe he meant this

I do

LXC... Zero performance loss.

>What's with the current state of virtualization in 2017?
damn near perfected.

>Qemu is so slow
No its not. If youre willing to forfit luxuries like shared clipboard, then qemu+kvm is goat.
You can passthrough direct control of real hardware including usb devices and pci cards and they will run in the vm and give you near bare metal performance.
>and VirtualBox is bloated and requires admin rights.
It does not need admin, who the hell told you that? Well maybe if you consider the service file running as admin then yea.

Asfor windows users, Id go with vmware workstation, although Im having issues with it right now. The windows installation in vmware is different than on qemu+kvm, virtual box, and bare metal. Inside vmware, windows is missing entire sections of the installer.

In wes7 in vmware, its missing all of the shit that asks you for answer files and to choose a template.
If someone can tell me what the fuck the issue is and why vmware thinks it has the right to take the liberty of choosing options during an install for me then I would really appreciate it.

>but we can't do that on dev laptops that run macOS.
Then get rid of the blockage user, into the trash into goes!

>admin rights
Woooooh boy, do we have a dick-sucking faggot in our OP post.