Is android ever going to be more Windows/Linux like and get good support for updates...

Is android ever going to be more Windows/Linux like and get good support for updates? At least on those pure Android phones it should be like this.

Other urls found in this thread:

xda-developers.com/project-treble-custom-rom-development/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Windows
>good support for updates
MS the fucking reason why we can't have nice things.
They were the first to have to do updates, and they fucked it up, now normal people are afraid of updates.

You get constant security updates. Android phones get security patches for a year if even that on some models.

the major device makers would have to say to the people making the SoCs and other bits of the phone "Fuck off with your binary-only drivers that you only supply for some ancient kernel, upstream it or we won't buy from you". They won't do this because they don't really care, after they've sold the device they've made all the money they'll ever make from it.

Google could try and force their hands through play services licensing or something. "We'll only allow you to use the app store if you're at least so recent". But then device manufacturers would just use it as a tool to say to users "Hey goy, time to buy a new phone! this one's out of date!"

when it goes x86

when

Already got it.
xda-developers.com/project-treble-custom-rom-development/

it is not that big a deal if your phone runs android 6 or 8
it just a phone os
there isn't even a single "groundbreaking" new feature

google should just change number in settings and 99% people wouldn't even notice missed features

The thing is security patches.

this is for new devices
devices that run android 8.0 out of the box

So?

very slow adoption

I'm still on some version of gingerbread

Site is not opening for me.

Then buy a new phone when it's ready.

What is this thing? I don't quite get it.

Forbids manufacturers to make modifications to Android core. One AOSP build MUST work on EVERY treble enabled device. And all phones with official Oreo MUST support treble.

Meanwhile, the Apple iPhone 5s is still receiving constant updates and patches continuously ever since 2013.

>tfw 3.10.49 kernel with 1000 unpatched vulnerabilities

Too bad iOS is unusable garbage regardless of the version. But at least it's secure, right? Can't get hacked if you can't do anything.

Heh.

DELET THIS

to be fair ios, although locked down, is probably the best mobile os atm
android is just so fucking slow, you're basically forced to use opengl for basic gui for it to be responsive
especially rendering text is so slow on android
windows mobile would've probably been the best os overall if microsoft gave some shits about it, too late now though
maybe goolag will one day need some more advanced botnet in phones so they'll give us a better os, but at the moment ios is the best

>android is just so fucking slow
Well, I see two options:
By Android you actually meant Samsung
or
You're a time traveller from 2013
Which one is it?

I should wait for those phones then

nice