github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts

High quality video output profile (goes into mpv.conf):
profile=opengl-hq
mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files

Config example:
github.com/Argon-/mpv-config/blob/master/mpv.conf

Input.conf:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

Post your system specs and config if youre asking performance related questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/FAQ#Tearing
github.com/haasn/gentoo-conf/blob/xor/home/nand/.mpv/config#L37
github.com/Argon-/mpv-config/blob/master/mpv.conf#L35
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/master/README.md#format-selection
bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102597
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How do I know if I have performance problems?

video wont look right

You can install status.lua and press SHIFT + I
If you see red you should look into it

I see two red boardered boxes with white in it (Vsync stuff) and frame timings fresh go red when I hit pause but at playback they become white again.

Is that normal?

Yeah, post a screenshot if you're still worried

>Post your system specs
Thinkpad T420 with Intel HD 3000 iGPU.
What's best config for it?

empty config

Try profile=opengl-hq and see if you get respectable timings

rossy / akemi / hanna appreciation

What are some visually appealing fonts?
Since you can add font folder in /.config/mpv, and it will use it withput affecting the system's fonts.
Why do I need font.conf ?

Hmm, what about the dropped frames 30 (output) and delayed and mistimed stuff?

wm4 >>>

I get frame drops, had to disable deband, which helps a lot.
Still CPU temps are very high when playing 1080p.

post specs and config.

No, don't do this

i5-2520M right? You shouldn't have much trouble playing back h264 content
You wouldn't happen to be attempting to watch h265 content would you?

Any vulkan build yet?

This. wm4 so underrated.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4x 3.9GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 16GB

config is opengl-hq, interpolation with tscale=oversample and ravu-r4.hook

Well, essentially when you are dropping frames.

hanna: rossy: so does this mean we push vo_gpu or do we wait for wm4 to get back? :^)
rossy: lol
hanna: he *was* pretty drunk
rossy: "just don't fuck it up" "that's all I'm asking for"
hanna: I'm pretty sure we fucked everything up
rossy: sounds like it comes before an always sunny title card
rossy: for an episode where we fuck everything up
hanna: just don't fuck it up
* rossy can't promise anything

>that vsync jitter
Are you on Linux?

Yes but I'm not sure he would even want Sup Forums to appreciate him...

Yes.

>i5-2520M
Yes, and no I'm watching h264.

It's normal to drop a few frames e.g. when fullscreening or when you activate certain options that change VO stuff. But they should increase over time during normal playback.
Mistimed/Delayed are related to display-sync and your high jitter (should be more like 0.0x) indicates some problem in your setup (not mpv config setup but your graphics environment)

mpvhq coming back soon

Stick with this then
Try to stick to the bare minimum in your config
I don't have a thinkpad so I can't really speak but something must be chewing away at your CPU as the i5-2520M has full h264 decoding on the chip

He needs animu avatar

>"just don't fuck it up" "that's all I'm asking for"
>I'm pretty sure we fucked everything up
Yeah so... don't push it...

Can confirm wm4 does more than any of us by a pretty wide margin. He's the real mvp. As project leader and the only guy who gets paid (by Plex,) he also has to do all the jobs that no one else wants to do.

You can build it yourself

>indicates some problem in your setup
Like what?
I have the latest nvidia drivers installed.
My WM is i3 if that has anything to do with it.

But

>full h264 decoding on the chip
I'm using "GNU/Linux", do I need to install something perhaps?

> :^)

Yes agreed.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me, take a look and perhaps ask in /fglt/

Holy shit.

Yes of course. Depends on your distro and other things though.

But what if all of this is just doc instead of code.

If you want to use the on-chip decoder you need to enable it in mpv.conf

I'm using manjaro, and /fglt/ isn't so friendly when you say you're using it.

You just have to look at the commit log to know it's mostly code. Also, he's insanely productive. He designed RA when he was supposed to be on holiday.

Honestly it's baffling to me that something like that isn't included universally

He's also been working on mpv for a lot longer than most of the other contributors on that list

I've fixed wm4

>furry
please no

I'm not using Linux as daily drivers but I have my share of experience with installing and using debian and arch.
Problem, especially with video, is that you have options/alternatives even among drivers and there is no best driver but instead each comes with different shortcomings or advantages.
Then there's stuff like compositors that many people don't need, some want them and they can influence a lot as well.
Just look at github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/FAQ#Tearing and you see the state of video on linux. There are just too many different cases to enable you a working out of the box solutions. You as a user have to fiddle around and find the best combination of things by trail&error. People that attempt to create a "included universally" solution (e.g. distros like Ubuntu) are considered bloated and every second neckbeard complains about it not running on their dishwashers.

cute but not sure if that ear piercing suits wm4

Just werks for me on open source AMD drivers.

>Intel tears out of the box. Intel users on Linux are going to have a pretty bad time.

Only anime picture I have
Yeah you've got a good point

nice. left eyebrow messed up a bit :)

Where do I set the mpv/youtube-dl quality?

There's no such thing as "quality" with youtube-dl. You can specify formats but that can be rather complex.
By default, youtube-dl tries to go for the best (and mpv furthermore excludes certain things that don't work well with ffmpeg) so you already get better quality.
Aside from that, you can include hardcoded bitrate, fps, resolution and codec limits.

See:
github.com/haasn/gentoo-conf/blob/xor/home/nand/.mpv/config#L37
github.com/Argon-/mpv-config/blob/master/mpv.conf#L35

*best quality

The linked option is btw just passed to youtube-dl, it's not mpv that created such a complex representation
More information about format strings: github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/master/README.md#format-selection

Ironically still less variance than the OS X shitshow

OSX is a completely different topic because by now I'm pretty confident Apple deliberately WANTS their opengl implementation to be as broken as possible to deliver the worst experience possible to developers just so they switch to Metal.
At least I hope it's like that. Otherwise they are just batshit insane.

Anyone?

> Argon]: should we remove timers from stats.lua again
please

What timers?

Is there any way to port my Windows custom display mode to Linux?

What does vsync jitter mean?

It's funny because it was haasn who wanted them in the first place.
I think it's disconcerting how often he changes his opinion about stuff. It's kinda nice how he's speeding up development but at some point I don't feel like renaming half of my config anymore or following all his new ideas that might get implemented, shortly afterwards changed and then maybe removed again.

haasn is for innovations, i like that. wm4 for balance and stability.

To summarize: I tend to look at performance stats quite often just for the fun of it. And now, just because he has suddenly a hunch (once again) he robs users of this feature again?
Oh it's tiring... I want my video player to work and I appreciate new features every now and then. However, I don't feel like reading mpv's commit log every second day just to see what he changed or broke again. Let along removing stuff I use.

vo=metal for macos when

He didn't. Only because mesa devs are being retards and refuse to fix their shit code.

post details of your mode so i can see what you have, and i might be able to tell you how to translate it

Yeah but wm4 only maintains stability for a small set of stuff.
He won't bat an eye when haasn removes the stats now and I suppose he will so I as a normal user will lose something I liked and I can't do anything about it, I'm not a developer.
Well, stay on an old version of course but...

Refer to bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102597

I thought it's open source, so fix it yourself...

Yeah, all thousands of amd Mesa users should individually patch their mesa.

So because mesa - something I don't use - has a bug I will loose functionality now?

Timers? As in frame timings? Possibly the most useful thing in mpv?

But 8x6 is theoretically more powerful/better right?

Modeline "1920x1080" 164.87 1920 1928 1960 2052 1080 1103 1111 1117 +HSync -VSync
i think this is right
to break it down;
Modeline; tells X11 that this is a modeline
"1920x1080"; the name of the mode, doesn't have to be the visible output size, but this is typical
164.87; clock rate in MHz
1920; visible horizontal pixels
1928; visible horizontal + horizontal front porch
1960; horizontal total - horizontal back porch
2052; horizontal total
1080; visible vertical pixels
1103; visible vertical + vertical front porch
1111; vertical total - vertical back porch
1117; vertical total
+HSync -VSync; sync pulse polarities

ps, your mode isn't exactly 72 or 72/1.001 ("71.93"), though it's close enough if paired with display-resample

I am using mesa (on arch) and I also like them

How do i use all of that? I only migrated to Linux recently. Thank you so much user!

i personally have a file at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf which contains;
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "HDMI-0"
Modeline "1920x1080" 106.82 1920 1928 1952 1960 1080 1083 1087 1090 -HSync +VSync # 50Hz
Modeline "1920x1080" 132.48 1920 1928 2016 2024 1080 1083 1089 1092 -Hsync +Vsync # 60/1.001Hz
Modeline "1920x1080" 130.80 1920 1928 1992 2000 1080 1083 1086 1090 -Hsync +Vsync # 60Hz
Modeline "1920x1080" 164.16 1920 1928 1968 1976 1080 1083 1152 1155 -HSync +VSync # 72/1.001Hz
Modeline "1920x1080" 156.96 1920 1928 1992 2000 1080 1083 1087 1090 -HSync +VSync # 72Hz
Modeline "1920x1080" 164.87 1920 1928 1960 2052 1080 1103 1111 1117 +HSync -VSync
Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
EndSection
should be self-explanatory
you can use "xrandr" to see what your display is labelled as if not "HDMI-0"

also, if you want to quickly test a mode, you can add/switch to one using xrandr without editing anything or reloading X11, using;
$ xrandr --newmode test 164.87 1920 1928 1960 2052 1080 1103 1111 1117 +HSync -VSync
$ xrandr --addmode HDMI-0 test
$ xrandr --output HDMI-0 --mode test
note; you might want to run "xrandr --output HDMI-0 --auto" before running the last one, so you can blindly run it easily if the mode doesn't work and you're stuck on a blank screen

(that last modeline is yours, wrote it in there as a guide, should have removed it)

Thank you! You're the best! *sends kisses*

>I see. BTW you use 72Hz mode, right? Do you have interpolation enabled for 23.976FPS videos?
no, i don't use interpolation (the mpv interpolation which just blends frames) at all, as i have a mode that suits any typical video rate
as far as i'm concerned, it should only be used when a non-multiple display rate isn't available, as it's at least more tolerable than straight dropped/duped frames

Do you use something like autospeed script?

i use xrandr.lua to let mpv switch to a suitable mode automatically

Change it so if it drops a frame or gets a mistimed frame it flashes red. Having it red when you're not dropping any frames causes people to complain about shit when there's nothing wrong.

bump

nnedi3 is deprecated

Its not better on practice, user. I tested it on normal images and test images. On test images it looked weird sometimes. 8x4 is a safer choice. Or you can use RAVU for a similar look. Or FSRCNN for SUPER sharp.

What does this do for me exactly?

DVI-I-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 477mm x 268mm
1920x1080 60.00*+
1680x1050 59.95
1280x1024 75.02 60.02
1152x864 75.00
1024x768 75.03 60.00
800x600 75.00 60.32
640x480 75.00 59.94

Will it only switch on fullscreen?

It's nor SUPER sharp, it's natural.

It looks natural only on very high quality images. On regular ones it looks SUPER sharp.

you only have a 60Hz mode for 1920x1080, so xrandr.lua won't do anything (unless you use one of the modes that has multiple rates, like 1280x1024)
you could try adding additional modes (see )
note: these modes i use are with a monitor which also only shows 60Hz normally, yet works fine with 50/72/71.93/59.94

also, you may be able to query your monitor's limits using;
$ grep "Ranges: " /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 69484.264] (II) RADEON(0): Ranges: V min: 50 V max: 76 Hz, H min: 30 H max: 83 kHz, PixClock max 175 MHz

Tells me

X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 140 (RANDR)
Minor opcode of failed request: 18 (RRAddOutputMode)
Serial number of failed request: 39
Current serial number in output stream: 40

when I try to addmode.

Didn't work. I read through the file too, doesn't seem like there's anything in there.

>Tells me
your monitor or video card might not like that particular modeline
>Didn't work. I read through the file too, doesn't seem like there's anything in there.
could be a driver-specific thing, not sure where to find this elsewhere (well, besides your monitor manual)