Synthesizers are technology. Anyone here play/collect? What are you using or saving up for next?

Synthesizers are technology. Anyone here play/collect? What are you using or saving up for next?
Pic related is one of my latest purchases. Really underrated in the Elektron line.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9DAHWnwdjUE
femurdesign.com/theremin/
clyp.it/efixsuo0
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
web.archive.org/web/20160403115835/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I just want an OP-1 for shits and giggles

I've got a waldorf blofeld desktop module
I dont really like it. its not very intuitive to use and pretty glitchy with midi, I've needed a midi panic button on several occasions but there isn't one on board. (the only devices I have with a midi panic button have never ever needed to use them)

I use a korg microsampler a lot too but its not really a synth.

I have a bunch of keyboards too that also ardnt synths. a nord electro 5, a hammond sk2 with a leslie cab, a korg sp250 i use as a midi controller.
The hammond organ is my latest beast and the closest thing to a synthesizer that I've ever enjoyed playing. the way you can model the sound is awesome but its restricted enough for my conservative sensibilities

If I wasn't a poorfag I'd buy pic related

do you know of any drum machines that do acoustic sounding drums well?
I really want to play along with drum tracks and just want a convenient system to do that that doesn't involve a laptop. most of the drum machines I know of are either just fancy metronomes or bleep bloop sequencers

nice...currently i am into alot of lesser known synths that havent been fully modeled and have software emulaton

the yamaha tg33 will be my next purchase... always loved the pads it gave out in music i loved.... took me forever to find it was this machine... criminally underrated imho

everyone gets a blowfeld... gets intimidated....sells it ... then deeply regrets selling it... 3 people i know and counting

also include demo's for the 99.5% of Sup Forums who have no idea what we are talking about...

All my hardware synthesizers were knocked over during a severe earthquake a year ago, and are now in various states of repair. I haven't had the heart to make music since.

Lately I've been writing my own synthesizer/sequencer in C, which keeps me occupied I guess.

I have a SY-35 and while it's fun to make corny new age patches with it ran out of novelty pretty quickly.

>earthquake broke my synthesizer

god works in mysterious ways user

I don't know what you mean by include demos. recordings of my midi glitches?

There is nothing I find intimidating about the blofeld. Its annoying how each knob controls multiple parameters and you have to use a combo of knobs and buttons to switch between anything to anything else. if you are the kind of person who might want to tweak two different parameters at the same time, the blofeld only does it if you patch both parameters over to the same effect knob, and even then you have to use the same knob for both effects. its fucking weird for a synth if you ask me, not sure why people would regret it. my unit also hums if plugged in through usb, and pops badly when turning on and off. maybe the model with a keybed is better but I wholeheartedly regret buying mine and am glad to hear people are buying them used still

Keep an eye out for its successor the OP-Z coming out very soon. It’s supposed to be quite good and the have said it is cheaper than the OP-1. Im not sold on it yet but the sequencer is supposed to be great.

Have a Microbrute and a Volca Keys, still looking for an analog polysynth though.

The Roland JX series is still very reasonable. Slow envelopes though, so mostly for pads.

The Roland R8 is older but it has amazing drum sounds. Aphex used it on his first album as well as his most recent. That alone is testament enough to its brilliance. I have one and love it. The only downside is it doesn’t have soft pads, but I like it’s hard plastic pads.

I have an original machinedrum and monomachine but I never use them. I wonder if they broke due to neglect.

This is true. I have one buddy that has a blofeld. It’s his second one because he sold it and rebought it. It’s pretty far down my list of stuff I want, but one day I’ll grab one for those awesome crystalline sounds.

Yea I heard about that a while ago, but I like the display and keys better on the 1. Then again I've never tried both so who knows.

I love Elektron gear, but from my experience their stuff is more likely to need repairs compared to any similarly aged machines. My Octatrack has a bad encoder, dead LED diode, and faulty power switch. Even out of warranty they sent me replacement components for free so that is nice, but they have some issues with longevity.

Anyone here into analog music equipment?

I'm looking into buying a reel to reel recorder but I don't know much about them. A lot of the ones I see seem like they need frequent maintenance and repair.

excellent all i want to do is make corny new age patches... and black rain syle soundtracks see 8:30 ... love that pcm sample vector shaping

femurdesign.com/theremin/

I have one, it’s great. The msrp recently dropped $100 and I snatched one up. I like it more than the actual DX7 I sold this year. It doesn’t have as many operators but it does have feedback on all the ones it does have. It also has one of my favorite keybeds I’ve ever owned. I was wary of the digital sliders but they work great as well.

yeah i own a r2r... teac x-7

dont go there unless you know your electronics and mechanics and are comfy taking things apart

unless you spend megabucks on a refurb all the old lube gums up and they need new belts and generally alot of TLC... and good luck even finding old tapes to record to... gotta order some r2r belts after i finish my old walkman and dat repairs

ive got a few

saving up for drum cymbals and more mics tho

Midiverbs are great. You just reminded me I need to grab a new quadraverb. I have a GT version but there are so many shitty distortion algorithms to work around that it becomes a hassle.

I've got a Roland SC-88 for MIDI.

i have a ded midiverb 2

really annoyed that shit doesn't work

there's the yamaha ry30 in the same ballparl that is is very cool too. I paid mine 100eu, it has soft pads and the sequencer is pretty great. It doesn't have the roll function and it only has 3 outs though.
the tg33 is really neat, I have a friend who has it he makes a shit ton of stuff with it, even some of the presets are cool.
I'm thinking about buying the sy77 when I'll have enough money, it's the keyboard version of the tg77. FM synthesis is rad

The RY30 sounds good too. I’d say if you wanted a solid machine for traditional sounding drums you can’t go wrong with that, the R8, or the Boss DR-770. All super affordable and packed full of great features and sounds.

how is it dead? those things are pretty hardy

no idea just stopped working on me one day

no signal in or out

i have an old tascam cassette deck. it's cool to run some sounds through it multiple times. depending on how you set the levels, you can different "coloration."

do the lights come on? does the display show anything?

you may just have a dead power supply capacitor. might be an easy fix if you can solder.

yeah the display works last time I checked

im hoping its just that

I don't think it's supposed to be a successor

my synths, their internals and what they sound like

Nord Lead 2X - DSP-based "virtual analog" has its own distinctive "ripping / screaming" sound. No it doesnt sound analog but still sounds great in its own way. Excellent interface for learning and was my first synth.

Macbeth Micromac - newly produced analog monosynth with a huge, organic, alive sound from its 1970s style circuitry (all thru-hole components, all discrete, carbon resistors, etc) Interface is kind of a pain to use but has a lot of "modular" potential

Sequential Circuits Pro One - vintage 80s analog mono using Curtis chips. (In the 80s, the companies started going from crazy mad scientist looking discrete boards to putting things on chips) Instant skinny puppy industrial sound. Fun to use the sequencer to do tangerine dream style stuff.

Never heard of the Micromac, man what a great set of sounds that thing puts out. Makes my Moog Sub 37 look like a piece of trash. Also makes me wish I wasn’t so poor.

I only recently started learning about synths so I'm a bit of a pleb, but I'd really like to play with a 404. I love that acid-y evolving sound and It's hard for me to tap into with soft synths, even clones.

Unfortunately, it costs more money to build a synth this way. It's a lot cheaper when you manufacture it with surface mount technology but it doesn't give you that "this machine sounds like a living, breahing creature" impression that the old tech does.

I wonder how expensive it would be to buy the components or buy kits and build your own like people used to do with some of the simpler analogue synths.

Last I checked someone did an ARP 2600 clone that looked pretty cool. It would take some time and skill to build it though...

There's also that Roland TB-303 clone called the x0xb0x which is much simpler to make

current setup. waiting for 16 pin cables so i can put the sv-1 in the box too.

i think i'm saving for some folktek module... a maths if i can get one. clock divider maybe.

Just sold my BSP. Arturia has a not so stellar past but they’ve been great with the updates on that, constantly adding new functionality. Which tape recorder is that? It’s asthetically gorgeous.

to elaborate -
the sv-1 is a "stepping stone" into eurorack, a semi-modular synth with 2 vcos, state variable filter, 4 channel mixer, vca, adsr, splitters, headphone out.

then i bought a disting which is a digital multifuntion module (rectifier, quantizer, lfo, ad envelope, tape delay... etc) but only one at a time.
the red dragon is a clone of the polivoks filter, which you can morph between 6 and 24 db.
then a doepfer spring reverb and 4x vca.

sound demo: clyp.it/efixsuo0

yeah i dont think i like mine. neat that it can tempo sync volcas now... still, i'd rather get a rene. i think.

the tape recorder is a fostex x-15... it has dials and outs for all four tracks but can only record to two simultaneously.

>Buy lots of pre programmed noise makers when computers can be programmed to make any of the noises already

Used to feel that way, bought a midi controller to see what the fuzz was about, didn't like it at all.
Then i played with an actual synth... it's something else. Not always about the fastest/cheapest point from A to B, you know.

I bet you can feel the difference...

Do it, might be able to find a $6-700 on reverb.com

Virus Ti, Korg MS20, Juno 106, Moog Slim Phatty

spending one's life in front of a computer isn't for everybody desu
besides that depending on how you want to sound there's stuff much less time consuming to do with hardware syths than a computer

I wish there was a music hardware/instruments board

>Virus

Goddamit user you fell for the meme

I have an Analog Keys (keyboard version of the A4) , a TR-09 and a Volca FM. Plus Ableton Live of course

the only hardware synths worth having are eurorack setups desu.

i'm really glad we're starting to see more eurorack style software emulations now although work still needs to be done on audio rate modulation emulation.

anyone else been fucking around with VCV rack?

not him, but meme or not they always sound fucking awesome when I play them at the shop. They're not something I intend to buy anytime soon, but I'd love to have one.

I wish there was only 1 (ONE) place (shithole) where retards could post their stupid frogs

>desu
Go hang yourself, pedo.

>eurorack
you could go for quality over affordable novelty
in music, sound matters most
unless of course, you're using it as some kind of toy

The problem is that everyone uses them to the point where even the musicians make fun of it, so of you're producing music you'll just end up sounding like everyone else.

Nice 505, was my 2nd gear purchase. I've since sold it and now I use a volca sample for drums.
Besides that I have an mfb nanozwerg (little analog mono), korg sq-1 (cv sequencer), blofeld (wavetable synth), nord micro modular, axoloti (sorta spiritual successor to the micro modular), and a zoom multistomp (digital multi fx).

Get a volca FM instead

Nord Drum maybe?
Or just something with samples.

IMO the blofeld is hard to program meme is completely overblown.

played in vcvrack, getting weird vibes. why do i need to register to download things? why no damn lfo? why is mutable links the only mult?
didnt try audio rate stuff though.

well i cant afford a buchla system even if i wanted to. there are many more eurorack modules anyway, easy to make your own case, and whatnot.
and this is opinion but i think with a modular setup you should kind of approach it as a toy anyway?

>404
you mean 303? lol
IMO acid is mostly about the sequencing style (semitone steps, glides and accents), I can get pretty close with my little MFB synth and korg sq-1 even though it doesn't really sound like a 303.
That happens a lot with eurorack. I have a m8 who just started building his modular, if I had tons of cash I'd do it too.
>have an Analog Keys
pretty jealous desu

>anyone else been fucking around with VCV rack?
I think it's pretty pointless to have a digital modular mirror eurorack so closely.
I'm really digging the Axoloti patcher at the moment, it's just a bit higher level than pd/msp, but you do have access to the C code of every object.
It converts the entire patch into a single C file, then compiles it and sends it to the DSP board, and then you still have access to all the knobs and dials over USB. Really neat system.

no but i like making beats on ableton from time to time. Synthesizers look fun though

oh shit, didn't know there was a patcher like that! nice~

/prod/ general used to be pretty nice on Sup Forums but it has devolved into retards posting their shitty tracks just like the soundcloud threads.

Reminds me of synthedit

>why do i need to register to download things?
not sure. i think they're setting up a framework for distribution for future free and paid modules. tested the autodownload plugins thing and it works as advertised.

>why no damn lfo?
a basic one would be nice, but you can currently use tidal modulator as one. i'm not entirely certain why you can't just push regular old oscillators into lfo ranges.

>why is mutable links the only mult?
it's just getting started so if someone like michael hetrick (currently does euroreakt on reaktor blocks) becomes interested i would expect to see a lot of utility modules coming in.

>I think it's pretty pointless to have a digital modular mirror eurorack so closely.
i agree to a degree. i think the familiarity of the interface lets people jump in easier - it's certainly less daunting than something like axoloti. most musicians don't really want to really want that much depth.

i do think they need to let people just take multiple cables out of a single output and take multiples into a single input.

again, they're just getting started and it seems promising. it's good see an open source alternative to softube's thing.

I have an Access Viruts ti1, juno 60, mpc1000, elektron machinedrum mkII, akai ax-60, roland jd-800, microbrute, makenoise 0coast...

What I want next : sequentix cirklon

How do I into synthesizers with no experience in music?

Forgot I have an A4 too but hardly ever fuck with it

start with sofsynths and this series of videos:
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

and then these series of articles:
web.archive.org/web/20160403115835/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

don't buy hardware till you're an intermediate.

Many thanks.

a basic hardware synth is the most interesting way to learn synthesis though
super complex softsynths can be a bit intimidating, it's easier to learn more once you master a simple instrument

Give it to me

there's plenty of real basic softsynths out there tho, esp hardware emulations:
miniologue, tal-u-no-lx, synth 1. when he feels comfortable with those he can just move up to things like the u-he range.

why splash cash for something he has no idea he's even going to be into.

I think I played with that one time.
There's also Faust which I'm meaning to try, it's mostly used for physical modeling synthesis in academia I think.

Any recommendations for a simple Eurorack rig?

I used to have a couple of grooveboxes but sold them to go full software. I really miss the meat of having a physical thing to work with and MIDI controllers don't really cut it.

that's true if you're only interested in composing
i make music sometimes but mostly i just like analog synths, playing them and making new sounds, which isn't nearly as fun with software

Get a semimodular before you get into eurorack IMO

fair enough. i still feel most people should have some knowledge and experience before they start spending money on the things. there's far too many people out there who like the idea of owning a hardware synth more than actually using it.

Have:
- Roland Juno 106
- Roland Alpha Juno 2
- Roland JX-3P
- 2 Roland AXIS keytars
- Roland JV-1080 & JV-2080
- Roland TR-505
- Edirol PCR-800
- Ensoniq VFX
- Yamaha SY77
- Korg DSS-1
- Korg Poly-800
- 2 Korg Polysix's (in repair)
- Alesis Ion

Want:
- Yocto & Nava
- MS-20 Kit
- Arp Odyssey FS
- Polivoks

you have a whole lotta shit, cept that jx-3p

I've got a Juno 60 but I don't use it because I never got around to the MIDI thinger. I can't play the thing, not for what I would use it for. So I just use VSTs.

My uncle has a Pro One

- Roland Juno 106 -
People say it's smooth (and it's true), but the filter also has the potential to be pretty gritty at the high frequency settings. You can glitch it and offset the LFOs. Programming is easy but not very flexible. Chorus is excellent. Soild basses since the oscillators are all synchronized and there's one clock per voice. Unison sucks. Overhyped for the price though.

- Roland Alpha Juno 2 -
Once the aftertouch works it's pretty fun to play. Editing is not quick since you have to scroll to get to a parameter (even worse than the DX7 style button access). Pulse modulated saw and 12dB filter make it good along with the pitch envelope. Acid sounds (with extra water) are easy and the KX5 patch demonstrates a good bass. It also has more sub oscillator options and more LFOs than the 106. If the 106 filter and chorus could be transplanted and switched in/out the 106 would probably be worthless vs the Juno 2. Prices have gone up a lot on it and Juno 2's are less commoon now.

- Roland JX-3P -
Overall construction is shoddy. Filter is grittier than the Juno series. I got it for the filter and sync sounds. No PWM wave though it can be simulated. Despite only 1 envelope and LFO it can make sound good sounds. Dual oscillator helps for pad sounds.

- Roland AXIS -
Best keytar design in my opinion. Has a reliable leaf switch keybed. Aftertouch rarely works though.

- Roland JV-2080 -
Pretty cool ROMpler. Has the standard drum sounds as well. Lots of possibilities but takes time to explore like most digital synths.

- Roland TR-505 -
Eh. Has some modding potential.

- Edirol PCR-800 -
Great MIDI controller for the price.

>- Roland JV-1080
Do you happen to know if the waveforms from the expansion boards for this (and the 1010) are available online somewhere? Would love to get them, sounds pretty neat from what I read on the watmz

My current live setup using the roland boutique stuff. I also have a jp-08 that I haven't incorporated yet.

Yeah, one of the encoders of my Machinedrum broke after a couple years.
So this morning I ventured in the attic and found the PSUs for both of them. They still turn on and all my shitty patterns are still there!
I guess I'll have to play with them a little bit more now to test them thoroughly...

- Ensoniq VFX -
Overheats occassionally. Some will have unresponsive keys because of how Ensoniq connected the 2 halves of the keybed. The polyphonic aftertouch is worth it though, especially for pad sounds. Probably the most sensitive aftertouch I've used. The in-built effects are good, but the filter is lacking. Can still get neat sounds out of it though and each patch can get very deep.

- Yamaha SY77 -
Like a DX7 but with PCM sampes for the attack. Haven't gone too much into it since it needs buttons. If they're bad get ready to have a fucking time replacing them since you have to tear the whole thing apart and it's difficult or impossible to operate without them working right. There are so many screws. However, the construction is top notch. Like the Korg M1 (during this time Korg and Yamaha were merged), the keybed is second to none (as far as synth action is concerned). It uses easy to service and reliable leaf switches. Most synths have carbon contanct based keybeds that are a pain to service and also will become unreliable with time. The construction is very solid (seems to be aluminum so no rust like older stuff). It is heavy though.

- Korg DSS1 -
Would be cool if the floppy drives weren't broken all the time. Besides that it is a great synth during the time where the crossover from analog to digital was still going on. This thing is the heaviest synth I have.

- Korg Poly-800 -
Lightweight, but not very flexible sound wise. One of the few synths that I have that I'd consider selling. Boring. Sequencer sucks to operate. The JX-3P sequencer is what they should have put in this thing.

- Korg Polysix -
The hype is real. Between the Juno 106 and Polysix, I'd take the Polysix all day without question. Battery leakage probably destroyed your CPU board though. Shoddy construction for the price in both body and circuitry. The sound and fun factor are impressive though. Good luck fixing it. Prices are even higher than the Juno.

- Alesis Ion -
Underrated. That's all I have to say.

I think you're asking for the raw waves extracted from the boards? I haven't seen them anywhere. Legowelt has some patches for the 2080 you might want to check out on his site though.

mr. parks?

quality cymbal choices user.

How do you like that A-01? It looks like a total meme but there was a huge price drop recently (from 400 to 80 IIRC).

The A-01 is perfect for an iPad synth controller which is what I originally bought it for. The bluetooth connectivity is really convenient. tone generator is fun and it work well with the other boutique stuff.

Get on his good side so you can inherit it. Do whatever it takes.

I work for Focusrite Novation in the UK but don't use any of their kit.

This thread reminded me that I really, really need a blofeld.

Just buy one, what are you? Poor?

Not a successor, so far I don't even like what it does, the VJ feature will go completely unused by me and you're forced to get a iOS product if you want a display.