How far back can you accurately trace your paternal lineage?

How far back can you accurately trace your paternal lineage?

that's a sympathetic looking lad

Back to coming over on the Mayflower

Not far

Great granddad travelled the circus in Europe as world's strongest man

His tools are still passed around in the family

... I might be part gypsy

Not particularly far back. My grandfather lost his father at the age of 5; he was a policeman who got killed by an anarchist. Further complicating matters is the fact that I have the most common surname in my country. Perhaps if I research the police records I may find something of interest, though.

Hans Krautmann?

Great grandparents is as far back as I know on that side. Poor people from Naples that came here in the 30's

>Matrilineal 13 generations

>Patrilineal 2 generations, and he died before I got old enough to care about asking, so now nobody knows

1770. Thanks, Maria Theresa!

To the 11th-century. However, I still have to fill the gaps... It will require a couple of years more to complete the list

1789 on my mother side
(they burned the older records during the revolution)

dad side nobody bothered to invistigate
still full french lineage

Late 18th century, Swiss immigrants to Philadelphia

Somehow along the way their surname Reichenbach became "Allen"

Can trace my dad's side of the family to about 1860. My mums side apparantly can be traced back in some areas as far as 1500 or further.

Noble paternal lines are easy to trace back, fortunately

around 10-15 AH (after Hijrah). I come from one of the biggest Arab tribes that converted to Islam.

Just to my parents parents

proofs?
not far, I only can trace it back to mother of my grandmother, died 2 years ago.

ottoman empire did not have much tracking records

To one guy who killed the three men who killed his father and brother to steal their sheeps

1100 AD, gg everyone else

0 tb.h

Eighteen generations (early 15th century) in the male line.

I am Nicholas (1989-),
son of Constantine Nicholas (1961-),
son of Albert Nicholas (1931-),
son of Constantine Nicholas (1902-1944),
son of Matthew Nicholas (1873-1920),
son of Matthew Joseph (1842-1907),
son of Constantine (1793-1869),
son of Matthew (1749-1800),
son of Leon Michael (1722-1751 - born five months after his father's death),
son of Michael Anthony (1687-1721),
son of Dominic Nicholas (1653-1697),
son of Alexander Louis (1594-1654),
son of Nicholas Christopher (1549-1616),
son of Nicholas (1515-1565),
son of John (1474-1522),
son of Nicholas (?-1510)
son of Nicholas (?-1477)
son of Christian (?-1444)

1400s

It get's fuzzy around the early 1500's. Had a lot of relatives die of the plague in the 1600's

Seventh century,to a certain Slavic war chief called Alapa,who settled his tribe in either Vrhbosna or in the very north of modern-day Bosnia.

He was elevated to the status of nobility by Justinian II and prior to that,was awarded with much larger lands by the Nomos georgikos.

only 4 generations

1880-ish. My grandmother's grandfather moved to South Dakota from Norway.
A generation or two after him, on the other side of my family, is the guy who invented the gumball machine.

attila or some shit?

I have documents that go back to the Bakumatsu (the final years of the Edo period), but I'm sure I could easily dig deeper if I looked into it. I have no idea about the Portuguese part of my family.

>Attila
>1400

1750s without any problems. We're come from an old Anglo-Norman family, but there are many gaps in the family tree when they moved to Ireland from Somerset, England during the reign of Elizabeth I. There aren't any gaps in the family tree from ~1470 to the Domesday Book.

you studied after all?

Someone in the family was an embarrassment and they changed their names

To the early 1600s in Devon, UK
Still have the last will and testament of my great×3 grandfather who left slaves to his wife, children, and grandchildren.

Why is everyone named Nicholas?

No. Tax records and church records.

In direct male line, early 1800. I can trace my grandmother a bit farther, but there are alot of dead ends here and there.
My fathers ancestors were mostly poor farmer, railroadworkers or poachers. So its not that weird its hard to track

On my mothers side I have a pretty accurate chart off nearly all her ancestors all the way back to the 1500, if not farther.
The early ones being merchants and later ones having jobs that would require higher education.

James, son of James, son of John, son of James, son of Hugh, son of John, son of James, son of Gregory, son of Bun, son of James. I don't know the names past that, but my paps side came over with some of the first English settlers.

I've had three Premiers in my direct lineage so far, my dad is in a good position to make it four but he wants to just retire and I don't blame him

The Nicholas who died in 1510 was made a Freiherr (~baron) by Maximilian I which was apparently the Best Thing Ever.

never bothered, I don't care

5 generations. To my great-great-great-grandfather who was a slave owner. My great-great-great-grandmother was one of his slaves. I bet it's the same for most Brazilians. Such is life in such a fucked up country.

like 2 generations

you are your own great-grandpa

I've never bothered with geanology, pretty useless info I won't ever need.

About 800 years ago.

To great-great grandfather. I never ever did a shit to change that, tho. ( digging thru perishs' archives etc)