So, was it autism? Why was everyone worried about this...

So, was it autism? Why was everyone worried about this. People framed it so it looked like it was about to destroy the internet.

Other urls found in this thread:

copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/parody
thefreedictionary.com/parody
dictionary.com/browse/parody
vocabulary.com/dictionary/parody
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/parody
dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=1449
legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/parody
m.openjurist.org/960/f2d/301/rogers-v-koons
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We have worst things now, at least that was with the excuse of piracy

I think it was the part that let companies sue you for copyright infringement for used sales, aftermarket modifications, generally violating the first sale doctrine, etc.
Not to mention, derivative works, like fan art and memes would be illegal.

What is this from? GIS returns nothing

(C84) [40denier (Shinooka Homare)] Chi-tan Ijiri (Danganronpa) [English]

Remember the TPP? Same hysteria but worse.

>derivative works, like fan art and memes would be illegal
They already are, most of them are just tolerated by copyright holders because it's ludicrous to think it's harmful.

Because I want my fucking games

>"Stop Piracy" act is about stopping piracy
This is about as true as:
>"Patriot" act is about patriotism

>illegal memes
You can take my memes from my cold dead RAID you fucking commies

In murrica they're covered under fair use.

That's not how "fair use" works.

It is though

copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html
Noncommercial fan art isn't automatically fair. Do you remember that thing about that Star Trek fan film that was taken down a few years ago? It made no money, was a fan work, and still against the law.

It is and I can't believe those digits were wasted on such ignorance

>Fair use is a doctrine originating in the law of the United States that permits limited use of copyrighted material without having to first acquire permission from the copyright holder. Fair use is one of the limitations to copyright intended to balance the interests of copyright holders with the public interest in the wider distribution and use of creative works by allowing certain limited uses that might otherwise be considered infringement. Examples of fair use in United States copyright law include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, and scholarship.
>parody

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

>Sonichu is a parody
Not how parody works.

But it is. Are you by any chance retarded?

Note how it says "parody" and not "humor." Parody is protected because it says something about the work it's parodying.
For example, a Harry Potter fanfiction where Harry buys a gun and shoots Voldemort when he appears would be considered fair use because it clearly says that Harry Potter could be much shorter if the characters used common sense. However, a fanfiction about Harry Potter's long lost sister whom everyone loves and adores and is perfect in every way says nothing about Harry Potter, so it isn't fair use.
Likewise, using an image of Spongebob in a funny pose next to "who up niBBa smash dat like button" says nothing about Spongebob, so they're not fair use.

Parody literally just means an edit or alternative version. Fanfiction is legally a work of parody.

>Lamar Smith

Bullshit police here, I'm gonna need to see everyone's patent attorney and bar credentials to prove you aren't just skimming Wikipedia to pretend you know what you're talking about.

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/parody
>a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule
thefreedictionary.com/parody
>A literary or artistic work that uses imitation, as of the characteristic style of an author or a work, for comic effect or ridicule.
dictionary.com/browse/parody
>a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing:
vocabulary.com/dictionary/parody
>A parody is a humorous or mocking imitation of something, using the same form as the original.
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/parody
>A work or performance that imitates another work or performance with ridicule or irony.
Get off my board.

>Corporations lobbying for extended intellectual property rights protection is communist.
Or is commie just being used here like fag and doesn't have any literal meaning anymore?

Doesn't even matter. Memes are transformative in nature

parody is legalese for "derivative work", and it has tons of legal precedent

now fuck off

"Derivative work" is legalese for "derivative work."

>dictionary definitions in a legal discussion
"No"

dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=1449
>the humorous use of an existing song, play, or writing which changes the words to give farcical and ironic meaning.
legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/parody
>A form of speech protected by the First Amendment as a "distorted imitation" of an original work *for the purpose of commenting on it.* [emphasis added]
I guess these don't count either, because reasons. Please give a single citation that states "parody means derived work," because m.openjurist.org/960/f2d/301/rogers-v-koons says the exact opposite and more.

Didn't they already pass worse shit in Congress? Big government always wins, baby

>Remember the TPP?
We really dodged a bullet with that one. Fucking policy laundering bullshit, looked unstoppable for about a half decade until suddenly it got killed dead.

T-thanks, Trump-kun

Big I'm what way? Budget? Influence? Regulations? In what way? Why? What context? In what departments?

Obscurantist.

Apparently his NAFTA renegotiation will include provisions from the TPP or something.

>combating

I mean, these people are supposed to be running the government and they can't even spell correctly and apparently don't know what spell-checkers are to make up for their ignorance and stupidity either.

>fucking stupid people will be the death of us all

I was anti-SOPA until all the fucking liberals got on board.

I'm in favor of anything that's guaranteed to produce gallons of liberal tears. Who the fuck cares about privacy anyway? The whole affair was overrated and overblown. Besides all this privacy nonsense is making it harder for us to kill sandniggers.

>he unironically didn't like the TPP

Give me one fact about the TPP that was bad that isn't muh secrecy

Some issues are bipartisan, you don't need to be a liberal retard to see how SOPA, PIPA and the TPP would have severely restricted creative freedom.

Of course, you're autistic and you can only perceive things in absolute terms.

Giving corporations the ability to sue nations, breaking their sovereignty. And that slavery thing for Malaysia or whatever it was.

Muh secrecy
Medical patents
Law firms can sue governments without even being the IP owners.

Deep state user, deep state and corporations
nigger

kys you retarded autistic nigger

>Giving corporations the ability to sue nations

Already happens through other ISDS agreements. See below.

>Slavery thing for Malaysia or whatever it was.

Think you're confused on this one. Malaysia had actually been cracking down on slavery due to the TPP provisions that prohibited exploitative child labor and forced labor.

>Muh secrecy

Valid criticism.

>Medical Patents

Pharmaceutical companies criticized the TPP for being too lenient on medical patents. There's a section in the agreement that reaffirmed the Doha Declaration on TRIPS and Public Health to allow developing countries to circumvent patent rights for medicines.

>Law firms can sue governments without even being the IP owners.

First, a law firm represents a client. Law firms don't sue governments, the clients do. When an investor chooses to sue a government, they can do so through already existing Investor-state dispute settlements part of previous trade agreements between the United States, Canada, Chile, Mexico, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam. The other 5 countries part of the TPP already had hundreds of agreements containing similar ISDS provisions, so the mechanism wouldn't have been anything new.

There were also provisions added to the TPP that would protect the rights of nations to enforce legitimate public welfare objectives, something people often seem to ignore.

SOPA

KONY

It's not a parody, chris only calls it a parody to avoid getting sued yet he treats his sonic recoloring as an original work

>wanting privacy isn't a good enough reason to be against something
Such ignorance

retard

>all these faggots to new to even remember ACTA
nu-Sup Forums is terrible

It did destroy the internet to a big part as you would know if you weren't an underage faggot.

DE

Remember when you could post colored horses and not get 3-day banned?

It was a better time.

>colored horses
Ban me mods, you won't

TOMATE

Muh secrecy. That's the only reason I need