Ryzen 1600 or 1700 for gayming?

Ryzen 1600 or 1700 for gayming?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrxhf_xZWI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1600 is the best price/performance. 1700 is better if you really need those two extra cores, but it's not going to help for gaming.

i5 2500k

1600 will do. Just make sure your RAM is at 3200 MHz because clock speed of memory modules seem to have a huge impact on the performance of Ryzen.

wont that fuck my ram up?

1700. If you want to edit in the future. Get the 1700 it's more future proof.

Overclock to 4.8, doable with the stock cooler. Paulshardware made a build with a 1070 and got it to do similar to another build with a Ryzen 1700 and same gpu.

/thread

Pretty sure you mean 3.8

>4.8
not on first gen ryzens

>stutterfest with impossible to find motherboards
k.

the 8700k

Depends on the normal clock speed.

1600X so it doesn't OC like dog poo and have an IMC that can't hit 3200.

so with a 2400 mhz ill be fine?

Hahahahahaha

Am I set, bros? Hopefully I wont buy a cat in the bag

Why 8GB, and why 2400MHz

>2400MHz
ABORT! ABORT! ABORT!

Get 3200

Why do I need more than 8 and somebody told me to overclock my ram so I guess ill need 2400?

16 is the standard in modern applications.
Also RAM may or may not be overclockable and 2400 won't get to 3200 anyway

so I really need 3200 for my ryzen to shine...?

If you can afford it it helps quite a bit in CPU intesnsive areas.
Memory prices will only go up from now.

get the 8GB, you can just drop anotherone if and when you need it.

the 2400MHz can be better. it's not a huge performance boost but in certain workloads it can make a susbstantial difference.

the recommended is around 3000MHz

Im another user,could I oc 3000hz to 3200? Or it wouldn't make much difference with ryzen 5 1600?

3000 vs 3200 isn't that big but if you can OC go for it
A lot of RAM can't OC sadly

Most sets can go up one speed bin. Change the main latencies to match the 3200MHz kit that matches yours from the same product line.

You have to get 3200 ram.... otherwise why buy Ryzen?

Thanks!

so I am planning on buying pic related to upgrade from my old rig.
the Adata one is 3000 and the corsair is 3200.
is the difference really that big betwen the two?

Get a different motherboard. The MSI Tomahawk or Asus B350-Plus are both better in the same price bracket.

Guys if I buy a Ryzen 1600, then I'll be able to upgrade to Ryzen 2 with the AM4 socket, right?

Yes. AMD have already said that AM4 will be supported for at least four years and Ryzen 2 is due in 2H 2018, so you might even get Ryzen 3 out of it.

The socket will be supported, yes. Now if your mobo supports it or not is another story. I personally don't think many B350 boards will support the new chips.

Six cores seem to be the sweet spot for gaming.
More cores add diminishing returns, so its not worth it.
If you plan to oc and you dont care about money, you can buy the 1700

you mean 3.8. Its pretty easy to achieve on stock cooler.

Im planning to buy a 3000mhz kit for ryzen. I hope its enough.
no. OC it to at least 2666mhz.

whats wrong with Asrock?
I've been rocking their motherboards for years with no problems.
also looking at specs I'm not noticing anything that makes them better compared to the curent one.

retard alert
they're the same thing

I think it's a slimy marketing meme. A ryzen 2 will fit in this gen AM4 boards but will have all its new features locked to AM4.1 boards, if that makes sense.

yes

Garbage 3+3 VRM setup compared to the 4+2 on the other boards. Enjoy your brand loyalty.

2.8ghz? What do you need 1.8ghz for?

But for real OP, 1600 is the way to go

So I should buy a X370 mobo to be safe?

how the fuck do you even know these specifications? They're not on newegg or the manufacturer sites

youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrxhf_xZWI

Research is haaaaaaard. :(

research *isnt* hard if you know where the sources are. Finding sources of information when all the usual routes don't have it actually is difficult. In fact, the most efficient way to get that information is to ask, so that the spreading of that information becomes normal and thus will become a part of the standard set of sources to learn this information. either way, thanks for the spoonfeed you cunt

IIRC the sweetspot between performance and diminishing returns is in the 2800-3200 range.

What ram should I buy? Since I started wising up to brands I stopped buying meme brands like corsair. Is crucial good?

RAM is RAM is RAM. Outside of the much-vaunted Samsung B-die ram (when paired with ryzen) buy the fastest ram you can justify with the tightest timings.

Is that true or are you speculating

>Samsung B-die ram (when paired with ryzen)
I can't figure out what you're talking about, even with search engines. Certain brands of RAM work better with Ryzen?

he's talking out of his ass. they won't change the socket, but maybe you're required to buy a board with the new chipset

That's basically what he said...

A lot of the cheap 8gb 3200mhz ram is sold out in my country, so I figured ill upgrade that later. Thats no problem right? Its not like my PC will crash because I pair my ryzen with this piece of shit ram?

tl;dr some of the ram samsung makes is basically the best on the market - all those super fast (4000mhz+) kits you see for Intel? They are all samsung B-die ram and generally speaking such kits hit the highest clocks and at very tight timings (so much so the latest bios for the crosshair hero have hand-tuned profiles just for some of those kits as tuned by The Stilt).

You can't use that ram with ryzen (or with any kaby lake cpu).

good luck getting 2400 memory to 2933+

you are basically right

There are three major RAM producers, SKHynix, Samsung and Micron, out of those three Samsung is the best reputed for enthusiast use, usually being more stable with higher clocks and lower voltages.

Also:
>What usually is called E-die are Samsung 4Gbit E-Die aka K4A4G085WE and B-Die are actually Samsung 8Gbit B-Die aka K4A8G085WB. Apart from the different memory density between those two parts, in general each IC has it's very own scaling characteristics. The popularity of Samsung 8Gbit B-Die comes from its ability to scale to high memory frequencies with decent timings at moderate voltage and also allowing tighter timings with additional voltage (for benchmarking).

>Kankerflikker

So it's just an overclocking thing? All RAM is created equal as long as it's compatible and run at advertised frequency and timings?

That's kinda what I thought but I can't keep up with what you crazy kids get up to sometimes.

>Want to put old 2500k in ITX build
>Compatible ITX boards are literally unoptanium
>If you find one it's $150 for a 5 year old board

does having 3200 memory improve gaming performance at all or is for different kinds of workloads?
The only intensive use of my hardware is gaming.

> All RAM is created equal as long as it's compatible and run at advertised frequency and timings?

Yes, but by definition the good stuff runs faster. If you have 3 kits at (say) 3000mhz and all the same timings then they will perform identically.

It was speculation. I still think a Ryzen2 will function on current boards, but if you want the "most" out of your CPU, you need a new board. A cheeki breeki way to "support" AM4 for years.

Bulldozer 2.0 is terrible at games. Get a 7700k

How does it look? This is the only ram I could get so...

>Bulldozer 2.0 is terrible at games.
Is it really? I thought it had an edge over Intel in some areas like frame times, or that there were some review sites that got wildly different benchmark scores.

2133 vs 3200mh on ryzen is 20fps++ difference

these are old benchmarks btw the the 1700x is now even better

My Rabbi does not agree with this.

This
>ever reccing a slow, hot, expensive chip over a faster, cooler and less expensive chip

Accounting in the cost of higher performance RAM, does ryzen still make more sense money wise over some i5s for gayming? Then again intel mobos might be more expensive

the difference in ram cost is about 30€~ in my country between slow and fast ram and you buy 3000/3200mhz ram anyway because intel profits from it too

Mainly if you're OCing, considering you're getting a 1600, it's definitely worth doing some OC since the stock cooler is so goos

$200 ram, JUST

That's DDR3 man, it literally doesn't work with modern CPUs and motherboards.
RAM prices are hilariously fucked, 1 stick of 16gb @ 3200GHz is cheaper than 4 of 4gb @2400GHz

Retard alert
My friend's 1600 can't hit 3200 on his b-die samsung kit, and unless you have a 1700 that's supposedly not even guaranteed.

Don't buy ASRock, user.

Difference between 3000 and 3200 is negligible. 2666 is about 5 fps lower iirc. Below that difference is more drastic.

what can you do?

More cores do not add diminishing returns. They don't add ANY returns. Not even 6 cores do. This is because every game developer is a dumb faggot who can't multithread anything.

The reason the 1600 is the sweet spot for gaming is because it's still able to clock 3.7 - 4.1ghz at a lower temperature than the 8 core chips for $200 less, and still has an extra 2 cores over the normal 4 that every dumb developer developed their game engine around with no respect for potential scaling in the future.

So basically the gaming performance of the 1600, 1700, and 1800 are equal. Buying the higher number gives you better multithreading performance that productivity shit like video/image/audio editing, compiling, rendering and so on uses, but not games. Games are all basically singlethreaded so for them the IPC and frequency matter the most, not cores.

Pray tell, why are we not all rocking the anniversary pentium clocked to 5ghz?

i5 is +$20 for mobo and +25 for CPU cooler (roughly)
ryzen is +$10 for 3200hz ram.

>Buying AMShit

Because they were all destroyed in the various house fires that they caused.

Depends on the game. I've seen benchmarks claiming 15-25% fps improvement from 2166 to 3466 mhz RAM, but not every game gets huge benefits, and the higher you go the harder it is to keep stable and the less benefit you get.

When it comes to ryzen the apparent benefits are twofold:

1. Higher clocked RAM means the infinity fabric itself is clocked higher, which decreases latency between cpu cores, and ryzen has very high latency between its cores, so this helps a lot.

2. Higher clocked RAM also improves RAM use itself.

So good RAM on a ryzen system improves both the CPU performance, and your RAM performance, which is why you see more improvement with good RAM on a ryzen system compared to an intel system.

However, Ryzen can't handle more than ~3600mhz. I've only ever heard of x370 boards reaching above that, and it's still a struggle. This is probably due to a poorly designed memory controller. My guess is someone engineered it to cover the standards, without realizing that RAM standards are total dogshit and fucking nobody buys 2166mhz when they can get 3200mhz or even just overclock their 2166mhz to 3200mhz (more likely than you think).

Ryzen's RAM problems are basically due to the IMC not being good enough.

This would be more true if Ryzen weren't basically a system-on-a-chip already. The motherboard's hardly doing anything anymore.

What part of "IPC and Frequency" was too fucking difficult for your brain to parse? Was it possibly the "IPC" part? It sure sounds like it was.

I have a 1700x and bought patriot viper 4 3200. It will not do 3200 on my motherboard. If I set it to 3200 it fails to post and just errors, does just fine at 3000 though.

1600 if it's just gaymen
1700 if you're planning to stream

I bought that motherboard on day one and it was nothing but a piece of shit. No VRM heatsinks & CPU voltage was all over the fucking place. My 3200 MHZ Corsair memory was stuck at 2133MHZ. I had massive stability issues and the sound chip likes to send an audible popping noise through all the channels regardless of OS - every time I started my PC my subwoofer would thump loud enough to piss off me and the cat.
So in short: no. I replaced it with the MSI B350 Gaming Pro and while I still can't get 3200 MHZ out of my RAM (past 2900 it won't POST) it's at least stable and doesn't try sending 1.5 volts to the CPU.

>get 1700
>3200mhz hyperx RAM
>nice looking and apparently good for OC asrock MB
>RAM won't post past 2666mhz, even on AGESA 1.0.0.6b bios
Fuck asrock.

Forgot pic.

1600 overclocked for gay men.

asking is lazy

The CPU, motherboard, and RAM all influence whether or not your system will POST with a particular RAM setting.

Your system is only as fast as the worst of the three.

Asking also makes you look stupid

And while people tell you that there are no stupid questions, the reality is that there are stupid questions and some people will look down on you for asking them.

>asking is lazy
Yeah, if you want to put your back into it, deliberately state something *wrong* to make the spergs correct you with a 3-page refutation that's a good intro to the topic.

-- t. Internet Adept User Since 1971

set the ram voltage to 1.4 and command rate to 2T got my 3000 kit to 3200 that way

>have shitty biostar board
>3200 with 14 timings all day

Okay, serious question: If all I do is gayming, basic multimedia, and basic office stuff, will I feel any difference between 1600 and 1700? The PC needs to last me 4 years