Is FOSS profitable?

Is FOSS profitable?

No, which is why it's great.

Ask yourself, how Stallman makes a living and gets to travel all around the world if the only thing he does is complain?

why are you such a communist swine

FOSS is neither communism or capitalism, which, again, is why it's great.

Linux; The biggest nerd hobby that doesn't make any money

FOSS improves the overall quality of life, services and gadgets. Development of new technologies leads to a better, more innovative society and the overall improvement of life effects every citizen of said society.

When I am contributing to open source, I am not only thinking about helping fix rather undeveloped parts of a software, I also consider that this program could be used for scientific breakthroughs, handling financial data, simulating weather forecast, controlling industrial robots and so on. So yes, FOSS ~is~ profitable, everybody profits from it.

Yes! Sony and Apple are making great profits by using lots of open source in their systems.

pretty good money for a student project to be honest, It'll be interesting to see what he's really capable of once he enters the professional sphere.

>worth millions of dollars
>and they do it
>FOR FREE

>Once Linus/Linux enters ye professional sphere
Military grade trolling right there

freedom isn't free

It makes lots of money for outfits that sell support. The learning curve for most FOSS stuff is very steep and that's what keeps most commercial use to a minimum. Either you contract out your FOSS support (expensive) or you hire someone for FOSS support in house (time-consuming). Either way it's expensive.

that's bsd for you

By begging people at his talks and auctioning a plush GNU

Fb twitter and a bunch of other useless services offered for free, yet somehow they worth billions.
>they have ads
Yes faggot, and linux has a different revenue model that yoy haven't figured out yet

hollywood accounting needs to fucking END

This. The practice is some of the scummiest stuff I've seen

RedHat's biggest customer? DoD (aka NSA).

some of us work to make the world better for everyone while others like you merely mooch off of what we create

good goy!

Yeah, great isn't it?

cuck