Fsck for ntfs on linux

any of you chucklefucks ever fsck'd a ntfs filesystem on linux?

i have a 4TB usb drive that is giving me some problems. it's formatted for ntfs (don't ask). i don't have a windows box, so i kicked off a fsck against this drive on centos. there's basically zero output from the command. thoughts?

There is a package that lets you read/write into NTFS partitions, try out Google kid, it might help.

you fucking dipshit. i'm not asking how to r/w to ntfs on linux.

Nice one, you seem to have fucked up your USB drive, try a Windows VM if it helps you dumb fuck.

again, not what i'm asking. thanks for playing.

turns out i was a dumbass, afterall. i gave it /dev/sdh and not the partition number. needed to pass it /dev/sdh1.

happy trails you fucking autists.

just a friendly reminder linux never ever formats NTFS right... it works in linux BUT it wont show up in windows properly [bane of my existance]

its a pain but use a VM and format NTFS in windows

>chucklefucks

OMG...i'm not trying to format or write NTFS on linux.

can you fucking toddlers read?

I work with data on the regular.
Do not use NTFS for anything of value.

CHKDSK rarely is capable of rebuilding damaged metadata.
When something takes a hit in NTFS it's usually permanent and requires destruction of the volume after a copy operation to continue function.
There is no way to fully fsck an NTFS volume from linux as no one is crazy enough to untangle that mess. You can only clear bad sectors, and unmark the dirty bit. That's it.

Your best option is to ddresue the bad disk to a good destination, giving ample time, and attempt a rebuild with the proprietary windows tools, then migrate your data to something better after confirming what needs to be pulled from backup.

hey, thanks, man.

it ain't looking good, as it is.

>chucklefucks

I think you mean chucklefscks

NTFS is a fucking atrocity. It needs to be banned. FAT fucking 32 is a better filesystem.

Stop performing unnecessary operations as that will cause further damaged to the disk. Do not power down the disk as it could fail while unpowered.

Prepare a 4TB area or new device to transfer to.

Use ddrescue to copy an image of the disk to a good device/image. Make a mapfile. It is intelligent, let it work.

When it has taken the appropriate amount of time (ie 99.99% of your disk), hopefully, mount the image R/O then copy what you can.

Take the good image and blast it to a good HDD if not already on a HDD and perform a CHKDSK only after moving all the data you could off the corrupt image.

Perform CHKDSK.

Rsync it and confirm what it couldn't grab. Keep a record of what changed. They may be damaged.

Start the long process of cutting out bad data and replacing it with good, faster if you have backups.

Get a better filesystem that can alert you to damage on the file level.

what FS do you recommend for external backup/storage disks?

What filesystem would you recommend? Just EXT4 or something else? XFS, ReiserFS?

Single device: BTRFS
Simple to use. Meshes well with Linux.
VERY flexible but quirky and unstable in multi device configurations.
Does not deal with failure quite as gracefully as I'd like.

Or

Multi device/ Expandable: ZFS
Complicated paradigm but unbeatable for highly resilient RAIDs.
Inflexible but has unwavering integrity at any scale.
Nearly unstoppable and immune to failure of almost any kind.

I use both depending on my situation.
All my USBs and small removable devices are BTRFS and all my roots and primary storage is ZFS.
Lost one bit of file to rot in two years and it told me where so I pulled from backup.

But still keep backups.
ZFS and BTRFS make it easy to pull from backup and have everything just work again.

>Chucklenuts

What if the image doesn't want to remount?

ddrescue will get it into a mountable state that you can import with disk-utility.
Read up on it before you perform the save.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAFAHDHAHAHAHAHAHSHAHSJSJSGAGAUAIWSHQBABKXJSJSJAA

B
O
N
K