I want to get into linux and im wondering which distro should i start with

I want to get into linux and im wondering which distro should i start with.

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu-mate.org/
distrowatch.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It doesn't matter.
Find out what the word distro mean and just pick something.

Try a bunch with live CDs in a VM and go with the one you enjoy the most out of the box.

mint

Ubuntu if you want something that works, Arch if you want to tinker. These distros are the most well documented and easiest to start with as a beginner because of it.

You should start with killing yourself, stupid attention whore.

Go hang yourself, pedo.

>Anime
Hi!
Go to hell.

Don't bother with Linux.
OpenBSD is much more simple, with an emphasis on code correctness. Modern Linux is just Windows with the option to customize your window manager.

anime pedo fags so "special" they need need an OS to go with their disabillity

learn the basic bash commands first
ls
cd
cp
mv
sl

how about this:

ubuntu-mate.org/

if you want to learn about linux and operate with it efficiently: arch linux.
if you don't care about learning and just want something to work with: fedora.

>being a beta tester for red hat for free
also replace arch with gentoo

Just install Ubuntu, like everyone else.

Mint, antergos, manjaro, fedora. Don't try Ubuntu (although mint is based on it) it is awful. Don't install arch - copying and pasting from archwiki is waste of the time.

In this order
Mint
Kubuntu
Xubuntu
Ubuntu

>>being a beta tester for free
you can say the same shit about any linux distribution

>gentoo
i like pacman more, but it's the matter of taste.

use distrowatch.com/ to choose distro that fit 4 u. Also, ideal linux distro doesn't exist. For start, use something like debian, or SUSE, later, u can try something else
[Install gentoo joke hearing in a distance]

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is infact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather anotherfreecomponent of a fully functioning GNU systemmadeuseful by the GNU corelibs,shellutilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Manycomputerusersruna modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNUProject.

Therereallyis a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, butuselessby itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Mb u should try a getting a job?

i'm too busy shitposting on Sup Forums to work

mint or ubuntu. or

gentoo

kubuntu

Fedora 26 haven't caused any problems to me yet.

Debian testing.
Stay away from the cancer that's called ubuntu. Reason? You might need to try xfce or kde or enlightenment and you have to either use a vm or format....
Use debian.

arch
-> nice doc/community
-> enough minimalism
-> lots of programs
-> don't necessarily have to spend the day to compile a browser

the hard thing is to choose what to install, eventually after few years you will find your love and regret your previous life

I'd like to vouch for my own distro, Debian Testing, but for a newbie the most important thing is to be able to get help when stuck, and if you could manage to fuck up Debian to the point of needing help you will be pretty much on your own, not the most desirable situation for a newbie... Anyway, I say go with babbie's first distro Ubuntu, stay there for a while, get your feet wet, get accustomed to a *nix, if you ever feel limited by Ubuntu specific attributes, you know it is time to move on, you can experiment with any of the distros the above fine folks are recommending, someday if you feel like settling for good, then go with Debian or one of the BSDs (I'd be a BSD or a Slackware guy if Debian wasn't around), those are the epitome of stableness, one install and you're good for ever.

ps: I had to install debian twice only because of me hopping architectures, going from 32bits to the more recent 64bits, this should speak volumes about the OS.

How much time do you have?

Ubuntu, easy, well supported, large community
OpenSUSE, easy, better GUIs for everything, reasonably supported, smallish community
Arch, more manual work, very nice wiki, fairly large community, you learn a lot more
Gentoo, even more manual work, nice manual, smallish community, even more to learn

Manjaro GNOME

Why does your kind get so triggered over anime?

The distro I'm using. Won't tell you that though

Why do you even have a toilet in your houses when you obviously come here to shit in, piss on, and cum to?

Anyways:
Paranoid about security: Qubes OS
If you hate Linux: FreeBSD
Easy, bloated Linux: LinuxMint
Botnet Linux: Ubuntu, Redhat
Intermediate, lightweight Linux: Gentoo, Debian, Fedora
Impossible, skeleton Linux: ArchLinux
Easy, skeleton Linux: Antergos ArchLinux

If you wanna learn the ins and outs of a different os asap, go with the hardest (Arch). If you wanna take your time to learn your os, go intermediate (Gentoo, Fedora, Qubes, FreeBSD, Debian). If you absolutely don't care, and will just pick everything as you go where you need to, just get a Wangblows replacer (Ubuntu, LinuxMint, Antergos)

> sl
nice one senpai :^)

>arch is hard / impossible
>mint is easy
>ubuntu is botnet
What cool blog did you read this from and where can I subscribe to your idiotic views about stuff you have no knowledge about?

gentoo

Gentoo should go in the skeleton part of the list too tho

Debian. If it's your first time you should install a commonly supported distro, learn the terminal syntax and to deal with problems via terminal
after that you can just go with whatever distro intrigues you

half of them want to bait, the other half are after-elections regurgitation

you need puppy linux, my boy!
puppylinux.com
>Ready to use → all tools for common daily computing usage already included.
>Ease of use → grandpa-friendly certified ™

kek

>also runs in RAM by default
>super fast and lightweight
>mascot is a pupper
Puppy Linux is bae

> implying arch isn't for fat fuck NEETs who had nothing else to do as kids but code in C++ & Perl when mom was out with her "friends" and dad didn't exist and who have all day to debug and troubleshoot every little fucking proprietary driver through vim on i3 every waking second of the day after wanking off to Chinese pedo cartoons in ASCII art on a Lynx browser
> implying mint isnt just LinuxWindows
> what is Canonical LTD
It's like ur a fooking moron