/pcbg/ PC Building General

General:
>LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS! Don't just trust the word of shills on /pcbg/, hear what real people actually think about products.
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an SSD. Consider buying a large SSD for the price of an HDD + SSD, and saving 50$ next paycheck to buy an HDD

If you want help:
>View this handy guide on picking parts
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>If your part list needs a monitor, be sure to include information like response time, refresh rate, and resolution
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=VhdV2wv3jQs

CPUs:
>A8-9600 (APU) - Poverty-tier builds (Don't bother with a dGPU at this point)
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop gap between the 1200 and Ryzen 5, get a R5 1400 if you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - High FPS Gaming & Mixed uses, 1600x if you can't be bothered to overclock
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use, not just for gaming

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices way up, using an old GPU / waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
Anything below the RX 560/GTX 1050ti is garbage and not worth even considering
>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low / medium settings
>RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at high / ultra settings, supports Freesync
>1060 6GB - 1080p 60hz at high/ ultra settings, supports G-Sync
>1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 1440p 60hz at high / ultra settings
>1080 TI - 1440p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 4k 60hz at high / ultra settings

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying any RAM, you usually want to buy RAM on your Mobo's QVL.
>Ryzen CPUs benefit from high speed RAM, 3200(+) MHz is ideal

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=95SqFiD8o8w
youtube.com/watch?v=Jc0utt5GFhk
youtube.com/watch?v=B5v_Ifk3tII
thermaltake.com/Chassis/Full_Tower_/Level_10/C_00001922/Level_10_GT_LCS_2_0_/design.htm
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/3918vs3603
pcpartpicker.com/list/mt4Hcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/6pDPCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/6mJJKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/9RqCTH
pcpartpicker.com/list/XqWg9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/92TGQV
amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-GXiVR2600A-Desktop-i7-7700-7200RPM/dp/B01MRZCI25/ref=nav_signin?_encoding=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=YZ8GDK71BN1CM8VTJZRJ&pf_rd_r=YZ8GDK71BN1CM8VTJZRJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=371d7636-ad84-4a4c-a734-1c1fde9e5c4d&pf_rd_p=371d7636-ad84-4a4c-a734-1c1fde9e5c4d&pf_rd_i=15576689011&
pcpartpicker.com/list/tyHVVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/nHGvr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/3JNJKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/qJTvr7
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230212&ignorebbr=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/r8zm9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/pPc9gL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

good thread i read it

esl

>LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS! Don't just trust the word of shills on /pcbg/, hear what real people actually think about products.
how do i know the reviews arent written by shills

(You)
Why haven't you RMA'd it?

I did! Sadly for me, getting a refund was the only option.

Reposting from other thread

Looking for a new case. The Meshify C looks pretty much perfect, but the fact that there's no fan for the 3.5" hdd bay when using a large PSU is kind of a dealbreaker to me. Those things can get hot af and if they do their lifespan decreases massively.

Is there anything like it, but with airflow around the HDDs?
>HDDs invisible
>no fucking 5,25" bays, or at least invisible/modular
>PSU invisible, but enough place to mount a 180mm length PSU
>at least some kind of cooling for the HDD
>not too ricey design
bonus points for easy accessible dust filters
I've seen the Corsair 460x, but that one has visible HDDs and is a little bit on the ricey side.
Any other options?

>amdfags still blasted they can't pay top dollar for top performance

Cooler Master Mastercase 5
youtube.com/watch?v=95SqFiD8o8w
youtube.com/watch?v=Jc0utt5GFhk
youtube.com/watch?v=B5v_Ifk3tII

Flare X is the best Ryzen ram you can get but it's really expensive, around 190 or more. You can try your luck with another of the same ram or try some other kit from G.Skill.

Go stutter somewhere else.

You don't. Don't listen to the opinion or "conclusion" of reviewers. They are often very biased. Only look that the facts the provide, benchmarks.

Af for Sup Forums, make sure you know what a logical argument is and only listen to those.

>tfw mess up putting cooler on
>tfw scratch IHS taking cooler off to reapply paste
>tfw now paranoid about CPU temperatures

I asked on the reddit AMD page and everybody said it was fine and if anything it would run 1 degree hotter but shit it makes me nervous. So far games run at anywhere between 50 and 60ish so I'm guessing everything is fine. These temperatures are fine, right?

>G.Skill Flare X Series DDR4-3200 288-pin DIMM 14 2x8GB 16GB $11.25 (5) $179.99
Not bad really, 3200MHz CL14

Sadly visible 5,25" bays and quite ricey.
The PSU/HDD compartment would be perfect if the side was shrouded as well.
Also let me add
>TG sidepanel

those temps are good, relax dude.

forgot to remove that autism as well, will do it next thread

It's modular. The optical bays are removable, and there are front ends in the series that hide it.
But aside from that, there's the NZXT S340, Phanteks Enthoo Pro (and the Pro M variant) and the Phanteks Eclipse P400

Meanwhile I have to shekel out 220 euros for the kit.

I have an ancient Asus p6t deluxe mobo (PCI 2), is it worthwhile upgrading to a 1060 6gb or do I absolutely have to bite the bullet and upgrade everything?

>no mention of i anything
Huh.

Is it really worth to buy i anything now when coffee lake is coming out in a few weeks?

i'm getting a 1600 and a prime b350plus
couldi buy cheap ram that isnt on the qvl and still work?
>inb4 MUH 3200MHZ
literally doesnt exist in my region for under 200€/8gigs

2400 and 2666 is fine with ryzen

where teh hell are you? stuff here is expensive and the selection is limited but we still have 16GB 3200mhz for 150 euro. Sweden btw

i would say 2666 is the bare minimum
and yes, ram prices are going up again, they are already 15€ higher than last month here

i have 8gb 3000 for 220
8gb 2666 for 180
16gb 2400 for 240
[spoiler]kill me[/spoiler]

that has to be 2x for each of those user, like 2x8gb

No, none

There isn't a huge difference between 2666 and 2400. Even 2400 would be fine.

Need to purchase a new case, current one is literally falling apart after almost 6 years. For reference, this is what I'm currently using thermaltake.com/Chassis/Full_Tower_/Level_10/C_00001922/Level_10_GT_LCS_2_0_/design.htm

Most important thing, I need the space to fit liquid cooling, got an XSPC but I can't really remember the model

ok i overrestimated a bit
my budget is still like 60-80€ and i'm fucking mad

you should be able to find some 2x4gb kit at decent speeds for 80€

decent as in 2400 and not in the qvl :---))))))

you can forget the qvl for 2400 ram, unless it's some noname brand shit

Is there a reason to get DDR4-3000 instead of 2666? From what I've seen, they both perform on almost the same level

Anyone here has experience with chink parts? I'm looking at some cheap powercolor vega and was wondering if I should avoid it. All vegas are still reference right? So it shouldn't matter at all which one I buy.

Intel there's very small improvement, ryzen there is huge improvement.

3000 performs better(albeit not by a huge margin) and they're about the same price anyway.

Sup Forums choose my GPU

i dont have a gpu and i finally saved up enough money for whatever gpu+monitor i want(last two pieces i need to complete my build). I really want a Ti but for 200 more bucks is it worth it over the 1080? Im gonna buy a 1080p poverty monitor so is a 1080ti even necessary?

CPU: i7700k

about to push the button on this, what do you guys think?
- AMD Threadripper 1950X
- Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
- AsRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming
- G.Skill Trident Z RGB (4x, 8GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288)
- Samsung EVO 960 PRO 1TB

For the moment I will keep my GTX 970 since it's still good enough for me and the build gets a bit expensive with a 1080 or even 1080 ti.

In my opinion the Ti is not really worth it. If your lucky it might be 25% faster which would only justify about 150 bucks more. In many games the difference seems neglible. Check out this page and especially look at the FPS differences in games:
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/3918vs3603

Of course it's completely up to you, but I think the GTX 1080 is the smarter choice.

For what purpose is this? Video editing?

>Shitposting machine

pcpartpicker.com/list/mt4Hcc

>Entry

pcpartpicker.com/list/6pDPCy

>Entry+

pcpartpicker.com/list/6mJJKZ

>Midrange

pcpartpicker.com/list/9RqCTH

>Highend

pcpartpicker.com/list/XqWg9W

>Very Highend

pcpartpicker.com/list/92TGQV

I'd get a motherboard with 8+8 cpu power, the rest looks fine

- gaming (only older competitive games)
- video editing (davinci resolve)
- sound (propellerheads reason)
- 3d rendering (blender, unity)

I think I can live with the little performance difference in gaming, when I see the benefits of more cores in work related stuff. Also I'm quite happy, to finally be able buy AMD again.

Can you elaborate on this a bit or give me a link or something? I'm honestly a bit confused about the current power situation and I'm not even sure, if my current PSU has all the needed connectors (Thermaltake Toughpower XT 850W). I decided to risk it and find out during the buildup if everything fits.

Looks good other than the rgb meme ram, but if it's the same price as other ram it's fine.

Pcbg, what brands of SSD's do you find overpriced? What brands do you find to be complete shit? I have a 128 GB SSD for my operating system and some programs but I am looking for a much larger one to hold games.

It seems like SSD prices have gone up since I last built my PC, and I'm having a hard time distinguishing between what SSD's are worth their price or not. I'm at the point where I might even settle for a hardrive because of how much cheaper and easier to buy they are.

Threadripper at stock runs just fine on 8+4, it's just that in my situation I'd rather get a motherboard on which I could slap a 3rd gen TR and overclock it to hell in the future

Are there any water cooling solutions for graphics cards that are like all in ones that you can get for your cpu? I feel like I could get a lot more performance out of my 1080 if I was able to keep it cooler, but I don't want to go through the trouble of learning how to set up a custom loop.

At what point should you switch for air cooling to water cooling?

if you want crazy overclocks on everything basically
if you have a high tdp gpu with open air cooler and don't want the cpu to choke on hot air

Currently there aren't that many mainboards for tr4 and the ones from Asus and Gigabyte have many bad reviews on newegg. The one from MSI doesn't have all the features. So AsRock seems to be the only brand left. I'm not even sure if a board with 8+8 for TR4 exists at this point.

But I appreciate the hint, even though I think I never upgraded a CPU in my entire life on the same board. Usually until I need a new CPU the sockets have long changed.

for whatever stupid reason they are even cheaper than all the other seemingly similar ram with other heatspreaders without RGB from g.skill. All with pc-3200, 14-14-14-34, 1.4V

oh well, I didn't know that the asus board were having issues, there are two boards with 8+8, the asus Zenith and some MSI one.
Don't worry, even with 8+4 that's good enough power delivery for anything else you could want to slap on it, I'm suspecting that 2nd and 3rd gen TR aren't going to require overclocking at all to get stellar performance

I'm trying to work out what ATX case to get for a custom loop with 2 thick 240mm rads and a huge 240mm tube res. Everything out right now just seems ricey or ugly though. Anyone got a suggestion?
My favorite case is the Silverstone FT02 but it's terrible for water cooling.

I have a build planned out that it pretty much exactly like this with no KB+M or Windows included and it's $200 more, I might as well just buy this, right?

amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-GXiVR2600A-Desktop-i7-7700-7200RPM/dp/B01MRZCI25/ref=nav_signin?_encoding=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=YZ8GDK71BN1CM8VTJZRJ&pf_rd_r=YZ8GDK71BN1CM8VTJZRJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=371d7636-ad84-4a4c-a734-1c1fde9e5c4d&pf_rd_p=371d7636-ad84-4a4c-a734-1c1fde9e5c4d&pf_rd_i=15576689011&

take a look at the coolermaster mastercase stuff

>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low / medium settings

I play shit on my 950 at high locked at 60fps...

It's quite a surprise that the MSI one has the 8+8 feature. It's the cheapest board and unfortunately it is missing the 10GBit ethernet and has only one "real" m.2 slot. Since AMD announced an update for bootable m.2 raid I'd like to keep that possibility open.

Yeah, I play nearly every game on high with 60+ fps on high with my 1050ti. The game I play the most is Rainbow Six Siege and I get a constant 120fps on high

Thanks, these look great but I wish the panels weren't plastic

What are these? General builds? gaming? If so what resolution and refresh rate? This to cookie cutter and there's no focus on what the users will do.

>Shitposting machine
Looks good, but when the hell did the g4560 25 USD more than the MSRP? I would say get the g4560 if it was at msrp.

>Entry
Good, but with the g4560 this overpriced I'd suggest bumping up to a 1200 at once. It's only 20 bucks more, not too much considering the build cost. No need to buy a much worse system to save pennies.

>Entry+
SSHDs suck. It only has 8GB cache, not enough for a windows install even. it may speed things up or it may not, you have no control over it. 2TB is overkill for OS drive especially at this price.

>Midrange
Good, but why is the 2TB drive included? People should already have somewhere they store their data, while games and programs go on the SSD.

>Highend
makes no sense. For general use the 7700k is significantly worse than 1600. The price just doubled too. This should be called the 144hz 1440p gaming build only.

>Very Highend
This looks like you just put everything high end in the box. What do you need 2x 1080ti for? Sure, it's high end. But for a lot of the people that need a threadripped a 1060 is fine.

>7700 (not k)
This CPU sucks. Barely better than a ryzen.
>stock CPU cooler
Hot and loud.
>No SSD
Slow and shitty for this price.
>1070
Why do you wanna get this with a 7700? 1080p 144hz gaming? otherwise it makes no sense at all.

All in all, terrible. What was you planned build?

> when the hell did the g4560 25 USD more than the MSRP
when intel saw that no one was buying i3's

Must've been pretty recently, I went on vacation, I'm back to pcbg and it's fucked.

I know I'm going to get shit for adding an i5 but what you think?

pcpartpicker.com/list/tyHVVY

>locked i5
>locked
come on now, this is a troll right?

>I know I'm going to get shit for adding an i5
Then why in the world are you adding it? It's worse than 1500x in every way.
Why the hell did you get a overclocking board and watercooler?

this better?

pcpartpicker.com/list/nHGvr7

He's spending $140 on a watercooler for a locked i5, OBVIOUSLY it's a troll build.

>320M
>No copy of Windows
Almost

I already have a copy of Windows but what mobo would you replace it with?

yes, a lot, in every way. But a unlocked mobo would be better.

And in the chance that you're not trolling, never buy windows

I meant A320, but B350 at minimum for OC

pcpartpicker.com/list/3JNJKZ

Is that the only 1060 you can find? Maybe find something cheaper/dual fan?
You're definitely not going to get a tight fit in the S340.

Its the cheapest one with 6Gb but heres a build with the 3Gb

pcpartpicker.com/list/qJTvr7

just buy this

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230212&ignorebbr=1

Is there any point in getting the 1400 over the 1200? Feels like you might as well wait until you can get the 1600 in that case

1400 has SMT, so 8 threads

I know but the price difference between that and the 1600 doesn't really seem big enough to motivate getting the 1400

>look at product reviews!
>don't trust shills!
There's a contradiction here...

>reddit
fuck off

I'm ready to click on the purchase button, can Sup Forums approve my build ?

I wanna play 1080 - high settings on my main screen (27") and would like to use my two others screen (one for twitch tv looking at streaming) and the third one for browsing/mail.

pcpartpicker.com/list/r8zm9W

> is the ram allright for the motherboard ? I doublechecked the comptability, seems everything is okay.

> At first i wanted to purchase the Antec P8, but the Meshify C is sexy desu.

> the GTX 1600 Zotac edition is the cheapest one i can find in my country (295€ - Belgium)

My last build was a Core2Duo E8500 + 2x Radeon 4850, second time i will buy an AMD. I hope i'm not getting memed by you guys.

Because it's shit.

Coffee Lake also looks shit but I'm waiting for actual benchmarks before discounting it.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/3JNJKZ
yep looks good.

I'm not overly concerned with single fan since 1060 is so low power. might be a frame worse than stock cooler.

3Gb isnt much worse at 1080p, especially when considering the USD60+ difference.

1400 indeed has SMT, but they're the same frequency, which is a low 3.4. Sure you can OC, but still.
The 1400 is 45 USD more than 1200 for just SMT, while 1600 is 40 USD more for 2 cores and 200mhz more stock. Saving up for 1600 is the best option.

>he did the thing
Does the OP need a comment about this? Christ

w2c

>poverty monitor
Get a 1070.

>1080
>ever

Looks good.
The ram is a ryzen classic.
Case is highly subjective.
the 1060 is fine. All mid range cards are overpriced right now.

And for the love of god don't buy windows. Buy a key online for ten bucks or pirate (It's safe and super easy)

>cow2beef.exe
Man, those were the days.

Look at product reviews and determine if they are shills or not

any cl14 3000/3200 is the same mem ic.
if you buy an i7 975 and clock it to a housefire, it will be about the same as an i5 6400 so it should do okay with a 1060 3 or 6gb.
protip. all pc components are chink parts.
no, the 1400 has the same gimped cache the 4 thread cpus have and gets blasted by the x variant

Are you in europe? They only ship in europe, also im gonna tell you when i order one myself. Im scared you guys will buy it out. Sorry user.

Turbo gaymen

pcpartpicker.com/list/pPc9gL

>tfw you finally get your ram to its proper speed
thank you based agesa update

do you have a gpu? and you're making a mistake with that cpu and a motherboard you cant overclock on, that will have lower single core performance than an overclocked ryzen my dude

not exactly pc parts but what is a good headset under $50

I am.