github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts

High quality video output profile (goes into mpv.conf):
profile=opengl-hq
mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files

Config example:
github.com/Argon-/mpv-config/blob/master/mpv.conf

Input.conf:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

Post your system specs and config if youre asking performance related questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

mpv.io/manual/master/#options-ytdl-raw-options
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/4019
aimp.ru/forum/index.php?topic=51595.0
pastebin.com/kVZRQ4rK
pastebin.com/ZDbjBBBH
github.com/rossy/mpv/commits/ra-d3d
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Onii-chan, why doesn't mpv have an anime preset that's optimized for animation?

Because there's no such thing as one size fits all

What an incisive question!

It's all to make you read through the manual and learn something.
Then Onii-chan will be proud of you and pat your head.

>opengl-hq preset

is it possible to add my twitch token to the mpv conf?

mpv.io/manual/master/#options-ytdl-raw-options

Are you trying to say that opengl-hq is the be all and end all?

Phoneposting at 3am

eh it's not that big of a deal
PS C:\Users\yasuho> mpv www dot twitch dot tv/beyondthesummit
Auto-loading profile 'protocol.https'
Playing: www dot twitch dot tv/beyondthesummit
[ytdl_hook] Usage: youtube-dl [OPTIONS] URL [URL...]
[ytdl_hook]
[ytdl_hook] youtube-dl: error: no such option: --
[ytdl_hook] youtube-dl failed, trying to play URL directly ...
Cache fill: 38.06% (24946 bytes)
Failed to recognize file format.

why do you need to add your twitch token? youtube-dl plays twitch links fine, is your youtube-dl outdated?

I'm trying to configure my input.conf to change the start property so that I can skip the intro to the show but c set start "00:02:16.010" doesn't work. I get start: (error).

c seek 2:16.010 absolute

That will work, but the thing is I don't want to have to press the key every time it moves up in the playlist. I don't want to set the start property in mpv.conf because I want to resume where I left off if I close in the middle of an episode and not at that time.

You can add start=2:16.010 to your config and if you quit with Q next time it will start again at the time you quit at.
If you don't want it to start every video at 2:16 and just videos on a single folder you could put use-filedir-conf in your main mpv.conf then make a new mpv.conf in the folder with the videos in and add start=2:16.010.

Is there a way to make mpv save changed parameters on quit? Like volume, contrast and such.

I have a specific profile I use for tv shows called series and I alias it in my terminal with

alias dbs="mpv --profile series --playlist /mnt/disk/Theater/TV/Dragon.Ball/Dragon\ Ball\ Super\ -\ Season\ 1/playlist.pls"

and the series profile is like so:

[series]
start=00:02:16.010
save-position-on-quit=yes
profile=opengl-hq
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=ewa_lanczossharp
tscale=oversample
# profile=interpolation-p
opengl-shaders="~/shaders/SSimSuperRes.glsl"

I use that because I forget to press shift sometimes and I don't like using those options on most other things.

The thing is it doesn't resume where i left off. It picks the correct episode, but it always starts at 2:16.010

it does that if you hit Q

Only for one file and only for the next launch (if you will not quit with Q again). I'm asking about saving those parameters forever after they have been changed during the run time.

then put it in your config?

Its not convenient to manually edit config file every time you need a new default values for current watching environment.

how often do you change your "watching environment"?

Every other day or something like that. If you bring your laptop along with you everywhere you tend to find yourself in different conditions.

What I'm really missing is a subtitle downloader which let's me input the name of the movie instead of trying to autoload it.

Does something like this exist, or do I need to program my own downloader. If I need to make it myself, how do I make lua scripts with GUI for string input and subsequent download and selection of subtitle?

>the Sup Forumsreatest media player

If only it werent unnecessarily cryptic to install the public at large would actually use it

Didnt you software devs learn anything from steve jobs?

Trying to have mpv open an iso from file manager
I have this as a .desktop file so far but all it does its open mpv but not load the iso.
Am i missing something here? Is there another way to do so?
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=MPV ISO
Exec=/usr/bin/mpv --player-operation-mode=pseudo-gui --dvd-device=%U
Icon=mpv
Terminal=false
Categories=AudioVideo;Audio;Video;Player;TV;

mpv is easier to install than mpc-hc and madvr

How do i loop videos?

Shift +L

And how do i set this as default for all video formats?

loop=inf

so let me get this straight: mpv for general media and mpc-hc + kcp for Chinese cartoons? or has mpv surpassed it already?

mpv is the best for anime

what settings should i use on a shitty 8 year old laptop?
hwdec and what else?

>Every other day or something like that. If you bring your laptop along with you everywhere you tend to find yourself in different conditions.
Dumbfuck CIA nigger. Use profiles and battery saver.

> Use profiles
You mean mpv profiles? And how it will be different with changing parameters by hand? It will still require active actions on every launch.
> and battery saver.
How will that affect things like volume?

autoprofiles.lua

>You mean mpv profiles? And how it will be different with changing parameters by hand? It will still require active actions on every launch.
Are you stupid? First of all, they can be activated with a shortcut if you so desire, but the point is that they're automatic. You can create a profile that detects whether or not you're running on battery that sets a less demanding scale and cscale if you so wish.

>playlist.pls
what's inside? what's the format like?

> Are you stupid?
Are you?
> First of all, they can be activated with a shortcut if you so desire
What part in "active actions" you did not get?
> that they're automatic. You can create a profile that detects whether or not you're running on battery that sets a less demanding scale and cscale if you so wish.
I don't give a fuck about battery usage. Can it detect level of ambient light and noise in the room for the purpose of profile selection?

>What part in "active actions" you did not get?
What fucking part of "SETUP YOUR SHIT BEFORE HAND" did you not understand?

>Can it detect level of ambient light and noise in the room for the purpose of profile selection?
Write your own script for that then you stupid fucking nigger. DERP MY LAPTOP DOESN'T HAVE PHOTORESISTORS. Well, fucking get to work then, you no brain nigger monkey.

>Can it detect level of ambient light and noise in the room for the purpose of profile selection?

What a faggot.

So the answer to the question "Is there a way to make mpv save changed parameters on quit?" is "No it can not.". And you guys seem to have more of a problem with that fact than me. I wander why.

I have all the settings i possible want auto detected, and in the case my config is setup improperly on new media, i can use a shortcut to get to the proper config.

You seem to have a problem with that fact

waiting for vo gpu to get merged

>hachan and wm4.gif
I'm pretty sure you got that backwards. Also
>waiting on vo gpu instead of vo anime

What's a good upscaler for live action(not anime) movies?
I normally use nnedi3 for anime.

sssr

>mpv thread
>everyone posting GIFs

Plus:
video-sync=display-resample
interpolation
tscale=oversample
correct-downscaling
dscale=mitchell

>correct-downscaling
dscale=mitchell

Well, there is *one* way you could make the VO volume persist: by configuring mpv to control your system mixer's volume level instead of the mpv internal per-launch volume level.

>VO volume
AO volume*

It can detect ambient light level and adjust the playback gamma based on that (which is the only setting that depends on ambient light level). So that can be useful if you often switch between dimly lit and brightly lit environments and don't want to manually change the gamma every time.

No such thing exists for volume; normal people just control their speaker volume when switching between loud and quiet environments rather than doing it individually for every single application.

MPV is great.
I always thought it was a meme.
Thanks Sup Forums.

sorry guys, but when im opening the ms-dos file (to try and 'edit the config', is that right?) it wont stay open, it closes after a split second
anyone know whats up?

What's this pipewire shit and will it affect mpv?

no idea but i get the feeling that it's probably shit

This shit is already included in opengl-hq right?

plain text path to the files like:
/mnt/disk/Theater/TV/Dragon.Ball/Dragon Ball Super - Season 1/Dragon Ball Super S01E01.mp4
/mnt/disk/Theater/TV/Dragon.Ball/Dragon Ball Super - Season 1/Dragon Ball Super S01E02.mkv
/mnt/disk/Theater/TV/Dragon.Ball/Dragon Ball Super - Season 1/Dragon Ball Super S01E03.mkv

yeah both

Is there a way to make seeking frame by frame backwards faster? I'm assuming it's taking the parts of the file it has already played out of memory, making reversing frame by frame slower.

Check out the Cache section in the manual, there's a specific flag for seeking backwards

At what point should I say "Okay these frame times are way too high"?
Or can I just completely ignore them and focus on mistimed and delayed frames

Even with my cache-backbuffer set to 1GB it still takes a second or two to seek each frame.

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/4019

>Or can I just completely ignore them and focus on mistimed and delayed frames
This

If mpv is Sup Forums's choice for video playing, what is Sup Forums's choice for music organizing and playing? I'm getting sick of foobar after all of these years.

Alright good to know

Windows?
AIMP or MusicBee
I prefer AIMP
Foobar is still the most 'customizable' if you have all the old components whos URLs 404'd over the years, but both AIMP and MusicBee have a plethora of options
More skins too

mpd

Yeah, my foobar used to be perfect for me, but then something got corrupted when I had to hard reset my PC once, and now everything but my playlists is forever gone since the author of the skin I was using deleted their account and nobody has a copy of it.

>no backups
lmaoing @ urlife

Yeah that sucks, I had a similar problem when my SSD died
After spending hundreds of hours tinkering with that fucking thing over the years just to have it disappear overnight... Well I moved on the MusicBee for a few months then AIMP. I still miss Foobar sometimes but I'm not particularly interested in spending all those hours re-building it, and scouring for old dead links

how can i enable VAAPI hardware acceleration in Linux? using --hwdec=vaapi doesn't work for some reason, with and without it CPU utilization runs at ~90% during playback.

Wow, AIMP looks pretty slick. Seems like it has a custom skin community too.

do mpv video.mkv --no-config --log-file=log.txt --hwdec=vaapi
and post log.txt

GLX or EGL?

Have fun user, it's a real breeze to setup
I'd recommend a skin like this over the default though, it has a weird layout by default with this strange second-list on the right that I never found out how to remove aimp.ru/forum/index.php?topic=51595.0
A little slow adding files though

>slick
that looks fucking horrendous

$ mpv test.vp9.webm --no-config --log-file=log.txt --hwdec=vaapi
Playing: test.vp9.webm
(+) Video --vid=1 (*) (vp9 1920x1080 29.970fps)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Looks fine, faggot. Better than most foobar attempts.

don't know. how do i find out?

maybe it looks fine if you're a 12 year old russian

1. update ffmpeg (and mpv)
2. do this

Just call me a KGB agent why don't you. I like it, end of story.

ran it on a 4K VP9 webm

pastebin.com/kVZRQ4rK

You don't even seem to be setting --hwdec

deadbeef.

sorry, that one was without hwaccel

this one is with hwaccel...

pastebin.com/ZDbjBBBH

> [ 0.055][w][vd] Surface format p010 not supported for direct rendering.
> [ 0.055][v][vd] Requesting pixfmt 'yuv420p10le' from decoder.
> [ 0.061][v][vd] Falling back to software decoding.

what is a surface format?

Pretty old toaster here with Intel HD 3000.
Is this github.com/rossy/mpv/commits/ra-d3d going to fix my issues with interpolation?

*reads anons mind*
No!

B-but smoothmotion works with madVR. :(

B-but it works with kodi-nightly and smooth motion with the kodi d3d11 renderer. :(
My TV doesn't support 23,976 very well. :(

Can I make a bind to delete the file?

Opinions on blend-subtitles?

i like it