/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

The More More You Know Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-ds3p_v.2.x_e.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why do people call the GNU system "Linux"?
Nobody calls Windows "NT" or macOS "Xnu", I don't understand.

In the following code(I hope i formatted it correctly) when I call the function with desiredColor as the argument is that the same as saying color = desiredColor?

def hatAvailable(color):

hatColors = 'black, green, blue, purple, orange, red, pink, rainbow'
return(color.lower() in hatColors.lower())

desiredColor = input('What color hat are you looking for? ')
haveHat = hatAvailable(desiredColor)

print('Is that hat available?',haveHat)

How efficient/good are network switches?
I'm sick of having 3 cables run into my room. Are there any recommendations for switches?
Looking at pic related.

They do what they're supposed to do. Buy any cheap one you want off amazon.

Is there any noticeable difference in speed?

No. They're switches, not NASA flight control.

speed on the ports is an issue :)
buy a gigabit switch. you will be fine

I just noticed that, apparently, I have 2.5 GB worth of thumbnails on my Android phone, even though I (currently) only have ~4GB worth of pictures in total.
This suggests to me that the thumbnails folder has saved thumbnails of every photo i ever had, even deleted ones.
Basically,
is it safe to delete ".thumbnails" ?

I'm trying to install Arch but I want to do it through WIFI only.
The problem only occurs if I install stuff for wifi with pacman (I'd like to have wifi-menu already on it after the reboot):
If I do it this way then the PC won't boot up, but without installing wifi stuff it boots. Any tips please? I went balls deep but I still want to figure this out. I'd really appreciate the help.

Here's how I installed it basically:

cfdisk /dev/sda

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
mkswap /dev/sda1
swapon /dev/sda1

wifi-menu

pacman -Syu
pacman -S dialog
pacman -S wpa_supplicant
pacman -S iw

pacstrap /mnt base base-devel
arch-chroot /mnt
passwd
nano /etc/locale.gen
echo HOSTNAME > /etc/hostname

grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sdb
mkinitcpio -p linux
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

genfstab /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
umont /mnt
reboot

Why are you installing wpa_supplicant etc. before chrooting?

>I'm trying to install Arch
fund your problem.

Install an actually working distro.

You dont have to use gnushit userland, there are various other options.
stallmanist get stuck on this concept all the time

Any free/open source disk cloning software similar to Norton Ghost where I can clone a hard drive to a new, larger drive without much fuss? I want to get a new, larger drive for my laptop (current one is only 250GB) and just want to clone it to the new drive so I don't have to go through the trouble of reinstalling anything.

Foss -->Clonezilla
Free-->Macrium Reflect

clonezilla
1 nano second searching would have gotten you the answer

Can I buy an E-Machines Never Obsolete sticker or do I need to find an E-Machine and take it off myself?

Would this setup charge my phone?

You could have checked ebay in less time than it took to ask on two threads.

Eventually. That's some pretty shite efficiency though.

Whats the best application to read manga on GNU/Linux?

I know where I can get an old E-Machine, but I'd rather have a fresh sticker.

Great. I'm glad you have a hobby you love annon. You can ebay or google A STICKER as easily as any of us can.

Why don't you Just get it printed at your favorite printshop?

>fresh install of win 7
>everything was fine before
>but now my gpu crashes in desktop use, like videos in firefox for example and the windows system rating thingy
>playing game is fine though, no issues

how would i go about figuring out what's wrong with my gpu?

Have you seen the thread title? I was just hoping that someone else had already found a source at some point.

I might do this, thanks user!

Have you run memtest?

I wanted something recommended by Sup Forums.

Whats the cheapest laptop worth owning? im getting my parents a laptop for Christmas. they don't need a powerful machine, they do everything in browser.

Trackpoint is too slow on Fedora. Tried to configure it manually with xinput but it stills too slow and it doesn't allow values greater than 1.0.

[a@Thinkpad ~]$ xinput set-prop 12 287 2
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 131 (XInputExtension)
Minor opcode of failed request: 57 ()
Value in failed request: 0x11f
Serial number of failed request: 19
Current serial number in output stream: 20

What should I do?

follow arch wiki

How much can I sell these computers for? They have the following specs:

>Ryzen 7 1700
>ASRock A320M motherboard
>4GB DDR4 3000 RAM, some Corsair stick
>Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 GPU, good for basics only
>96GB Kingston SSD
>430W EVGA 80+ Bronze PSU
>Rosewill Challenger case

I have like ten of them in total so even a $50 difference adds up to a fair amount. I figure I can sell them as upgrade-to-order or office computers or something. What would you guys pay for one of these as a base?

nigger what the fuck are you doing

10%-15% off retail price

puts it around $380 or so, sound reasonable?

If I put os x on a VM can I still use iMessage?

macOS basically doesn't work in a VM. Anyone who says otherwise is bullshitting.

I have a nzxt h440 atm and the Mobo I'm planning to buy only have 2 fan slots, I need 4 slots on it (3 front and 1 rear). What do?

Changing mobo would be a option just in last case, I'm outside the US and it's hard to find mobo+ram that works well on a ryzen build

You'd be better of with a hand crank

I just got some splitters. Any software that would control the fans would just control a set of fans then. Do note that you don't mix 4 pin with 3 pin or vice versa, that won't work. I think 3 pin also might go slower if you split them, but I'm not sure about that.

For some unknown reason a folder with ~300GB of data in one my my HDDs randomly just vanished.
I'm 100% sure I didn't delete it myself. Used Recuva but it recovered only some files, most ended were corrupted.
Could it be that the HDD is failing? SMART doesn't show any problems though and it's weird how only one exact folder got deleted. Also it had only ~10GB free space left, could that have caused issues?

I don't understand anything

Trying to install Win7 from a USB stick, have a fresh 240gb SSD to install it on. BIOS recognizes it, Win 7 installation won't. Doesn't detect any other drive and keeps prompting me for the driver to be installed. Tried formatting and partitioning the drive in Parted Magic, that managed to recognize it but the Win7 installation is not budging. Any idea why?

why is linux such a ghetto nigger rigged piece of obtuse garbage

I've had a similar problem in the past and solved it by opening the console (shift+f10 I think), creating a small partition using fdisk, making it bootable and copying the usb drive content to it. Then I could just boot from the SSD and install without any problems.

Thanks, I'll have a look on that. Which one do you got?

Fdisk and diskpart do not detect the drive at all, unfortunately.

...but this does inspire me to try something absolutely ridiculously stupid. I'll report when I get back if this worked.

Every time I use Google maps to get directions somewhere, it keeps giving me a notification every couple hours asking "At (the location)?" with like the weather and temperature or something. It will pop up periodically forever until the next time I get directions, then it changes to that place.
What the fuck? It only started doing this recently and I don't know what setting to look for because I don't even know what "feature" this counts as.

I've been sticking with uTorrent 2.2.1 with mostly default settings. Are there better, more private and secure alternatives?

Deluge

Halite

Could you explain why please?

That's a $300 processor on its own.

Fucking hell. Feels like I have nowhere else to go with this but here.

There was a faulty shutdown of my laptop and after starting Windows normally I got a Google Chrome Update pop up as everything started up like normal. I checked and sure enough it WAS a legit Google Chrome update so I clicked the okay. Since then on youtube and other sites, there is a bottom scrollbar that keeps popping up multiple times and disappearing within a second, flickering in and out and fucking up the window each time.

>Google Chrome is up to date
>Version 61.0.3163.91 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Looked this issue up, found nothing online about it.
Restarted my laptop. Still there.
Closed Google Chrome, ended all open instances of Google Chrome, reopened Google Chrome. Still there.
Found something about the "Use hardware acceleration when available." option. Disabled it and relaunched Google Chrome. Still there.
Reenabled the hardware accel thing. Still there.
Only thing I haven't done so far is reset all settings to original defaults.
Can anyone offer me some other advice or suggestions or anything?

>The More More You Know Edition
The real reason it was canned was that Packer couldn't stand Mick Molloy, the presenter. Most people can't but he still turns up on FM radio.
For US anons, think a drunk and disheveled John Belushi complete with foul mouth and no taste.

Halite is basically uTorrent but more up to date, lightweight, FOSS and free of the botnet.

qbittorrent
Why?
Because it is actively maintained

Best way to sell the whole thing? The problem is that this is a bit weird, I assume most people won't want something they'll have to upgrade themselves, but if I sell them for a good enough price idk

eBay charges an arm and a leg in fees.

For home use any brand will do.
Make sure its Gigabit and has the number of ports you need.

Another thing to look for is 'metal' switches, these are weighted so the pull of the wires and power lead don't end up pulling the thing off the table or whatever surface you sit it on (assuming you aren't wallmounting it.

There's also small switches that are USB powered but seem pretty rare for some reason

They seem good for workstations and processor-heavy tasks. How did you even end up with that weird-ass combination of parts, let alone 10 of them?

workstations as you said

>RIGHT PROPER TIER
Halite(Windows)
Deluge(Linux)

>OKAY I SUPPOSE TIER
Transmission
Halite (Linux)

>I GET MY OPINIONS FROM Sup Forums TIER
qbittorrent
Deluge (Windows)

>UNIRONICALLY USES PALE MOON TIER
uTorrent 2.2.1

I've seen this happen a couple of times. Guessing it gets to the part where you would select the drive to install it to, but nothing shows up or it prompts for a driver disc.

Strangely I found the solution was to run the USB from a USB 2.0 port, for some reason 3.0 ports ended up with the USB not being detected in the Windows installer

>something loads on the pc, be it new tab in browser, opening a program etc
>for a fraction of second, cursor freezes and then warps where i was moving it

what the fucking shit is this now, how do i fix this?

Running it from a USB 2.0 port. Still not working, but I'm planning an alteration of 's idea

I want to connect TO a Windows machine via VNC over the public Internet.

100% of the google results are instructions for how to connect to a VNC server FROM a Windows machine, which is infuriating. I know that VNC servers for Windows exist. What I cannot figure out is how to make the connection secure. In Linux you'd use an SSH tunnel, but I don't whether or not that's possible with Windows, much less how to do it.

I need to walk someone through setting this up over the phone, and don't have access to any Windows machines.

Is it possible to do this? If so, what is the easiest method? Just point me in the right direction.

Why arch then?

Known issue. Changing ports only applies to older mobos.

pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

I'm on Fedora.

I see, thank you!

+1 deluge, although I hear it has issues with ^500 torrents at once.

Don't have much experience building computers, but long story short I've got a HDD I need to install for someone. The computer that needs it already has a SATA power splitter cable dangling around in it (pic related), am I fine to buy a 4 pin molex power connector and connect it to that and the drive? I've got a SATA interface cable already, it's just the power cable aspect that's confusing me.

I currently use qBittorrent? What's better about deluge?

Solid, straightforward menus. Also dat pluggin library.

>tixati OMG SHIT IT SPOOF SHIT IT KILL KIDS
>vuze: nice and shit

yea i remember cheating the fuck out of what.cd and undergroundgamer with vuze/azureus, uploading nothing @ 500KB/s for days, yet i have never found that supposed "Client spoofing" function of tixati

If it is a SATA drive, and it has SATA power, I'm not sure where the 4 pin molex comes into this. Just plug the SATA power in.

Sorry should have been more specific, the splitter is already connected to a hard drive inside the PC, but it isn't long enough for me to plug it into the new HDD as well.

And you have a free molex connector already? In that case, yeah get a molex to SATA adapter and plug it in.

>Intel

Welp. Thanks, user.

Cool, thanks

How can I make a logical partition mountable on boot between two Linux distributions?

I managed to install a Graphical Frontend, but this is what I got.
Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint Stick id=12 [slave pointer (2)]

How do I install the driver?

More more Microsoft's fault. Or Windows 7 being old as shit, depending on how you look at it. I think xhci is also one of the things you have to do to get 7 working on ryzen.

fstab

t. Retard

What's the best PDF viewer on F-Droid?

Obviously but what are the steps?

find uuid
type it in fstab
boot system
a maze

How do you port forward without having access to the router?

>>>PC Windows.

You suck daddies cock to get the password

You literally don't. The only option available to you is to have someone out there swap ports for you, like on a VPN.

Well is there a way to do it if I use a phone as a router with my PC?

loaded optomized default when updating bios and now windows 10 isnt working. wat are bios defaults that make windows 10 work download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-ds3p_v.2.x_e.pdf

Not unless you're talking about tethering to your cellular data plan, and their network has open ports. Or again, if you're running the whole thing through a VPN.

Who you replying to?

Simple question that probably requires a large answer that nobody will want to give.

I have Windows 10, can I get a guide or something on what to disable/remove to stop the spying trash?
I'd appreciate it greatly.

anyone who will help

Then maybe try REing the OP, and not some other rando. Is your windows drive set up in MBR/legacy bios mode or GPT/UEFI?

I am talking about tethering to PC.