/pcbg/ PC Building General

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an SSD. Consider buying a large SSD for the price of an HDD + SSD, and saving 50$ next paycheck to buy an HDD

If you want help:
>View this handy guide on picking parts
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>If your part list needs a monitor, be sure to include information like response time, refresh rate, and resolution
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=VhdV2wv3jQs

CPUs:
>A8-9600 (APU) - Poverty-tier builds (Don't bother with a dGPU at this point)
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop gap between the 1200 and Ryzen 5, get a R5 1400 if you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - High FPS Gaming & Mixed uses, 1600x if you can't be bothered to overclock
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use, not just for gaming

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices way up, using an old GPU / waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
Anything below the RX 560/GTX 1050ti is garbage and not worth even considering
>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low / medium settings
>RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at high / ultra settings, supports Freesync
>1060 6GB - 1080p 60hz at high/ ultra settings, supports G-Sync
>1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 1440p 60hz at high / ultra settings
>1080 TI - 1440p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 4k 60hz at high / ultra settings

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying any RAM, you usually want to buy RAM on your Mobo's QVL.
>Ryzen CPUs benefit from high speed RAM, 3200(+) MHz is ideal

Why does the addition discuss the troubled doubt?

AMD Athlon II X2 guy, give in and get an i5 2400 refurb desktop for $100-130

i think ur pins are bent

>Recommending Vega
shitty op, op. remake it.

when will retarded OP's shilling their garbage stop

Guys I'm getting Ryzen and the works but my question is on the Ram. I want to play games and stream/record them so do I need 32gb or should I just stick with 16gb? DDR4 3200 of course.

depends on the game, very rare for a game to need 16
streaming/recording software are negligible if you're not using specific options that use RAM (like a delay or a replay buffer)

Thanks, 16 it is then

I have a potential bottleneck problem.

I only have a i3 3220 cpu. What is the best 4gb card with minimal bottlenecking I can get.
>poverty build
It's just a build for fun, i-i swear

1050Ti

Lads, I have a serious problem. Booted my computer on today, sounded a little quieter than usual but I only noticed that when I was playing the division. I was experiencing fps drops and decided to investigate. Temp was higher than normal, and so I opened my case up. Turns out the bottom front fan AMD my cpu cooler fans are not spinning and the debug led trail lights to sys fan 3 slot are lit up. My mobo is a MSI Z270A Pro. Is the mobo faulty? If so, this is fucking ridiculous because I only built this computer mere weeks ago. Also, last night I was tinkering with the gpu oc settings. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but just making sure to provide as much info as possible. Any help is really appreciated.

I hope you misstyped some parts of your post nigga

>AMD
did you mean 'and'?

Phoneposting as I turned my PC off. Yes, I meant and, but in all caps so I really meant AND. Anyway, any tips?

Good, thought you were using an AMD processor
Anyways it sounds like a power/voltage issue lad. What is the wattage of your PSU?

Use speedfan to test your fans. Otherwise it is busted.

650w, my good man. The thing is, it worked before this so why today all of a sudden did it fail?

probably whatever you did last night
How much did you OC it?
Did you increase maximum voltage?

Could anyone calculate the depreciation for the following 3 1/2 year old used hardware? I just bought it and want to know if I got ripped off:

>Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
>ASRock X79 Motherboard
>Intel i73820
>Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD
>Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR3 RAM

Yes, BUT I reverted all the changes back to stock before turning the PC off for the night. Was it too late?

Where do you live?

New Zealand

Did you buy those parts from a popular retailer? If not, check on pcpartpicker.com and just follow the prices of the most recurring retailer. Then you'll see.

Does it matter which variant?

Any cuties need help? I am Sup Forums tech certified

>that pic

Horror.

How do I keep my parts safe from static electricity when building?

Live in a rubber house

>Aye poo you
>no G4560
Has AMD paid all of Sup Forums's student loans in return for shilling?

you have to give kisses to me

PCBG is full of AMD Shills

I never had any problems and I've built stuff on carpet.

Can anyone help me?

That cpu is nonexistent and if it exists somewhere it costs way more than it should.

>want a case that looks nice, but doesn't have the gamer look
How do you even pull this off anymore? Use an old case?

Fractal Design.

nxzt s340?

>no gaymur case
Loser

evga?
h440?

buy literally anything made by corsair or fractal. moron.

Not EVGA, Corsair. I'm stupid.

>buy literally anything made by corsair or fractal. moron.

GAYMUR CASES ALL THE WAY

Yes, yes you are.

No, it was just some guy on gumtree.

They're not brand new, they're 3 1/2 years used

How much should I have paid in USD or whatever for those parts at 3 1/2 years used?

>tfw cases have almost completely phased out optical drives
>tfw you're slowly getting older, but everyone else is staying the same age

>gumtree
ello m8. did u use your bogan accent?

I bet you didnt

Gaymur cases aren't the only things they have. Then there's Air 540 which could fall into both camps.

I was going to help you but dumb frogposters don't deserve to be interacted with.

Does anyone have a good guide for wiring and plugs as they relate to the motherboard and power supply? I seem to have wired the GFX Card correctly since it's lighting up but my computer does not turn on when I press the Power button.

Are the front panel cables done correctly? Those are bitch to deal with no matter how many builds you've done.

I have no idea. I'm using an ASUS Prime A320M-K as my motherboard and the instructions are incredibly vague on the System Panel Connector. It doesn't specify any order that the chassis plugs should be put in.

Only 2 pins go from PSU to mobo.
The 24 pin one. You know which one cause it is the biggest one. And the 4 pin one.

What's with MSI's repetitive GPU cooler designs

it just werks

No need to reinvent the wheel.

Please, can someone tell me how to fix this

I just bought a prebuilt. Wish me luck, /pcbg/.

I did a bunch of number crunching today to determine the best price/performance GPU on the market and the result I got was the plain old GTX 970 that can be bought second-hand for about $185 on average right now. The runner up was the GTX 1060 3gb.

Worst choice was the GTX Titan X followed closely by the GTX 1080 ti. The GTX 980 ti was nearly twice as the price/performance of the 1080 ti, so I suppose that makes it the winner of the "super" GPU category.

I would post my data but I don't really feel like it because I don't want to actually change the market in any way.

That shit ain't gonna get you acceptable frame rates.

btw I mostly investigated Nvidia GPUs because preliminary research on AMD stuff showed it is all ridiculously inflated right now, even old stuff like HD 7970's have terrible price/performance compared to the best few Nvidia GPU on the used market. I did weight towards cards which can still play modern games at 1080p 30fps with default graphics settings. I suppose there are probably some cards that are 3 or 4 generations old that can be bought for like $20 on occasion that are probably the supreme deals, but I don't really care about those.

>Worst choice was the GTX Titan X followed closely by the GTX 1080 ti
>GTX 1080 ti

did i screw up buying this

I was going for what is truly "good enough" without succumbing to meme settings like excessive shadow quality or high multiples of anti-aliasing.

For about 90% of games out there right now you will be able to hit 60 fps at 1080p with better than default settings with the 970. Often quite a bit better than default. For the few that you don't reach 60 fps in that is due to poor optimization on the developer's part and going up to a 980 or even a 980 ti in some cases still won't change things because it's not a processing issue.

GTX 970 is a "boring" choice I know, but the numbers didn't lie.

Only if you were going for best price/performance. Which is not what that card is about. That card is about supreme performance at any cost. If the money is no issue to you then you made the right choice.

It's the best 1440p 144hz card out there and at that level you're not really concerned about the value like mid range builder is.

I'm using a 840 Pro 256GB as my boot drive, board supports NVMe. Do I buy a 960 Evo 250GB? it boots fast enough and i want to buy into the nvme meme but i dont want to drop all that money AND lose a sata port.

Also a G4560 and a 1050Ti should be decent for 720/1080p gaming, right? If so I'll be buying a 1050Ti asap.

upon further inspection, i didn't. I can't change the core voltage setting on the MSI Afterburner program, but i did change the power limit to max. would that do something to the mobo?

also after playing csgo on lowest settings and still lagging, i decided to buy a gpu; also need to buy a cheap gaming mouse and a cheap headset. thinking corsair sabre/harpoon and the g430, are these any good?

Does anyone know of any single-threaded TR 1950x vs i9 7900x benchmarks? Looking to get one of them for Houdini. In the multithreaded benches it is about 20% better, but there are a lot of single-thread operations

You buy the 1080ti if you have money to spend. Perf/Value is for people on budgets.

I think GamersNexus had some.

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but how bad are H-series boards for overclocking? I have an H-series board (GA-H97M-D3H) and just got my hands on a good i7-4790K that can handle 4.8 GHz at 1.26 v. Is it likely I'd be able to handle that on an H-series board or would I need a new motherboard, too?

10% each year
Hey brother
Create a list on pc part picker, then divide by 0.6 to get the NZD price. Then multiply by 0.9^(years)

Great, just had a look at those thanks man! Now I'm even more unsure of which to get.

its beautiful

If you are buying a 1050ti you do not have near the budget for NVMe.

Updating this. I found out where they go on the motherboard but the sons of bitches aren't color-coded and the print is so small it's difficult to make out what goes where.

H boards don't overclock.
Intel boards either can overclock or don't overclock.

>even overclocked my 1080ti doesn't consume enough power to heat my room effectively

It's a complicated feel.

Only poor people care about price to performance ratios.

The only way you'll feel a reasonable difference is with an absurd amount of cards.

Should've bought heatdozer.

Did you buy a 7700k? If not, that's your problem.

I used to heat my room with a 4870x2 running at 95c

If your CPU is running at toaster temps for long durations, you are doing something really wrong and should have bought a workstation CPU instead.

Umm, the temperature a component runs at has no bearing on the amount of heat energy it dissipates into the room, sweetie.

Here is where I stand with my build:

When I turn on the power supply, I see the motherboard light up just underneath my graphics card. However, nothing happens when I hit the Power button. No fans spinning, nothing. I have taken a look at the Power Switch system panel connector and I am almost certain it is in the right place.

What's the issue?

I-I know! I was only pretending to be retarded! Hah, I sure got you!

>I am almost certain it is in the right place
Needs to be one hundo percent sure. Check again. Also, check if you connected them to the right place. I'm not sure about other motherboards, but mine had 2 9 pin places, and I hooked all my power switches to the wrong one.

Also, check if your 4/8 pin and your 24 pin motherboard power connectors are connected

Got a free computer, mobo has pcie 3.0 x16 slot and I want to add a 1060 there. Currently has i3-2120, will that be fine or bottleneck it? If the i3 won't work Ihave been eyeballing i5-3770k

read the op
also probably

Try bridging the power connectors and turn it on without using the power switch.

bottle neck i3

if you can OC the 3770k then i think it could be a good match

The problem I'm having is that the motherboard isn't color-coded for where the system panel connectors should go and the print is so small and cryptic that I can't make it out.

For what it's worth, I have the power switch on the top right, the reset switch on the bottom right, the Hard Drive LED on the bottom left, and the power LEDs on the top left

Something is making short circuits or something is dead.

Thanks, this poverty rig is my first """""build""""" btw, figured may as well buy an ok card so there is a half chance of using it in something else down the road

Guys, whats the best 2 or 3, 4k monitors to choose from? Or ill just take the best one

Meshify c.

What is your budget? Do you want IPS? I assume you want 60hz because there isn't much of a choice. How about Gsync/freesync?

I'd say about $500-600 usd