Knowing what you know now how would you have improved the enigma machine?

Knowing what you know now how would you have improved the enigma machine?

And no - RSA asymmetrical encryption was not possible back in 1940.

Other urls found in this thread:

enigma.hoerenberg.com/index.php?cat=M4 Project 2006&page=Rasch Message
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imitation_Game#Historical_accuracy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I would have installed Gentoo.

allow mapping a letter to itself
pad messages to closest length of some size with random data

what is that

read a book before you lurk. then lurk more

Practice better opsec and radio discipline. eliminate stereotyped messages. Shit got broken because the Brits were able to guess lots of probable plaintexts.

nope

distribute one-time pad books, re-use punishable by death

The Brits were actually clever though. They dropped a lot of fake messages like 'x has mines' they then could expect two message "shits fucked at x' and 'all clear'.

Rekd.

Some of that's difficult to avoid. But you could easily cut out a lot of shit like Doenitz sending a happy birthday message to his captains (actually happened) or messages saying "night quiet, nothing to report" every morning at the same time.

By not futilely clinging to a retarded ideology.

two separate plugboards rather than the shared configuration
no birthday messages allowed sticker
no daily weather report sticker
no sending shit twice sticker

Full wireless integration with Bombe

"no character can ever encode to itself" was a huuuuuuge security hole.

Fuck off to YOU made this about politics not me

I'd encode using a foreign language from some Polynesian tribe. No one would ever know what the fuck was going on.

the allowing of a letter to map to itself would fix the enigma machine. although Im sure it introduces a new set of technical problems. Otherwise the engineers would've designed it to do so.

>allow mapping a letter to itself
definitely this

The Enigma was just a gimped version of the Geheimfernschreiber, which Arne Beurling cracked with pen, paper and a cup of coffee.
The limeys having trouble with the Enigma despite infinite budget and staff is fascinating.

That happened because there was a reflector that sent the signal back through the rotors a second time. Ditch that and you eliminate the hole. They probably did it because having it makes the number of possible combinations superficially more impressive.

look at the head. it can barely contain his intelligence.

no bezels

>Image is titled Enigma Machine
>'How would you improve the Enigma Machine'
>What is that?

This.

The brits would actually send soldiers out with their full standard gear with fake Intel in their packs, which they would then "drop in the heat of combat" and the krauts woul pick them up looking for intel. They'd find all kinds of shit in the pack like rations, letters from back home, standard issue gear, and sure enough oh look... This field notebook says "Captain Sheffield had us lay mines in Nice today, as per orders from Field Marshal Montgomery" and then they'd wait for messages to come through and try to pick out words like Nice and mine.

It was really a smart move, dropping all the fake intel in it field like that so they could have some degree of control over the data they were trying to decrypt.

I would have told them to stop sending periodic weather reports, fucking idiots.

More different disks, little cost for huge improvement

weather information was really important in ww2

not fucking sign every message with Heil Hitler

did they really do this or was it just a meme to spice up the movie about fuccboi?

it literally contributed.

afaik they did, but not with the enigma but another encryption mechanism that was deciphered this way. can't recall its name right now.

Haven't you watched The Imitation Game?

Also how realistic was that film in showing what he actually built?

Underageb&
Only 30s kids will remember this

what would Sup Forums have looked like during WWII?

They did it that way because with the reflector cap:

a => x
implies
x => a

So that encoding and decoding use the same initial rotor orientations.

I don't understand why it matters what the Nazis signed their letters with or the weather reports since as the whole encryption changed every 24 hours, so how do they have enough time to get anything valuable with a few letters that they know of? Then it all changes and they have to start again.

Do you have any idea how many radio messages a large military can send in 24 hours?

Yes, but if you are very fast and can crack the code in a few hours you get a lot of extremely valuable information.
And I believe that is exactly what happened, every day the code was cracked and then used to decrypt their messages.

There were many of millions of Germans soldiers in the war communication didn't just happen sporadically, it was the backbone of the modern Military.
And any General would give everything he could to know the enemies moves as fast as possible.

this

Lots of messages are valuable for quite a while. Say you order some u-boats to a particular area, tell them to remain there for two weeks, and then come back. That message is worth cracking up to almost a month after the fact.

Reminder that the last enigma message was only decrypted in 2006
enigma.hoerenberg.com/index.php?cat=M4 Project 2006&page=Rasch Message

Yes of course, knowing the enemies plans is immensely important.

But you still want to know that as soon as possible, that's why they cracked the enigma code every day even if it "only" gave them at most 24h of messages.

There's numerous inaccuracies. A whole subsection is dedicated to them for the film's wikipedia article.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imitation_Game#Historical_accuracy

This thread is great! I wish it was more like this and not consumer trash.

Well the whole 'Heil Hitler' epiphany -after- he built the machine makes no sense.

Be the change you want to see user.

>And no - RSA asymmetrical encryption was not possible back in 1940.
How so? You can do RSA encryption with pen and paper.

>You can do RSA encryption with pen and paper.
at what keysize though?

The keysize doesn't have to be anywhere near as big as it have to be today.

On one hand you seem to know what you're talking about

But on the other lets look at how RSA works
>Party a talks to party b
>Party a verifies the certificate of party b using a trusted root cert
>Party a then uses the public key to send encryption key for the remaining communications
>Party a and b use the shared encryption key to communicate.
>The process repeats for each communication

While this may be possible by paper, the practicality of doing it over morse code simply isn't. Above all - the complexity would be absurd even for the most skilled radio operators.

Instruct users to intentionally typo noncritical words

I think it would be possible to implement a mechanical device with 40s tech for encryption/decryption.
Key generation, i.e. finding very large prime factors is probably gonna be the biggest problem.

Ha! The joke is on you, Sup Forums
I was just pretending to be an OP but I am secretly a Hitler. I didn't die in '45 in mein Bunker, what eigentlich happened was I traveled in time in meine Zeitmaschine to 2017.
brb gonna finish the IIWW the reich way

If you were Hitler you could speak proper German and wouldn't translate 'actually' wrong. (In this context you'd use "wirklich" or "tatsächlich")

Wow so I guess that's actually NOT Hitler, had me going for a while

You ask about the Enigma?
All the answers you're gonna get are going to be quite... Enigmatic.

>in mein Bunker
*meinem

>in meine Zeitmaschine
*meiner

Go learn German, Hitler.

I am, I don't make trash threads. I usually get a lot of solid replies.

nein nein nein

doch doch doch.

Good stuff user. The Sup Forums needs to driven /out/

Allow character reflect into itself, like a back to a.
Every word must be of same length, either by chopping the word into two or padding some x in the end.

You can change the wording, like very sunny, no cloud, cloudless, clear blue sky etc.

That's what Navajo signalmen and Welsh speakers were for.
Obviously they didn't use the Enigma Machine, but they were used for sending and receiving messages

If the Allies are about to enter your tent, a large bomb goes off meaning they can't acquire a machine to help them crack the code

Really does, whenever mods do their job.

I would have fitted it with a self destruct device so no half destroyed units would ever have been recovered.

They're tactical cipher machines. There's not much you can do to improve security without changing the entire design and making it much more complex. I'd ditch the electromechanical thing and adopt purely mechanical pin and lug machines.

You could test from time to time if the shit was compromised, with lures etc..

Well, first thing first. I'll need to make a logo for the machine

SS EinsatzGNUppen B. Jews are bloat, we need to clean the earth

Use a basic A1Z26 cipher and convert all messages to numbers. Then make random garbage text that has the length equivalent to each number (i.e to write "e", that would be "5", so an example to send through the enigma machine would be "ofovw")

The length would be consistent, but the content itself would change every time even if the message didn't.
Considering it was cracked by looking for content patterns this might at least slow down the effort. It wouldn't actually make it more secure, just a lot more annoying to deal with, and I think that would have been good enough here.

But maybe not? I don't know.

Honestly? Allow letter to map to itself, encrypt with one time pad, have some messages mean something only when sent at specific time and/or time.

For example sector clear would be sent as some other report - but only if it was sent between specific hours and it was dealing with specific topic.

Map geographical locations to codewords.

Periodically send fake messages and check allies reaction to them.

Have few spare codewords maps, only to be used for emergency after you detect that encryption is broken.

Reinhardt sthallmann

seeded RNG interspersed padding

THANK YOU BASED NORDEN

LUFTWAFFLES BTFO

Slap some red LEDs on it so it can encrypt faster.