>using linux
>program decides to take up all of CPU
>Linux allows it to do this
>System freezes
>Can't even Alt+F4 or switch to a tty to close the offending program

Meanwhile
>Windows
>Program decides to take up all of CPU
>Windows still prioritizes the system itself and allows the system to still function and give the the ability to close the program

And if you try and look up this issue you will find linux neckbeards defending this retarded behavior

Sure feels like the year of the linux desktop

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/10/evil_maid_attac.html
archive.fo/G6JL3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>>Can't even Alt+F4 or switch to a tty to close the offending program
fake news user-kun, even on my atom laptop from 2012 I can switch into a tty and pkill waterfox. Stop using a bag of potatoes as a computer.
>Be playing GRID (2008)
>Black screen freezes
>Can't use the task manager to kill the game since its set to be above everyone.
>can't log out because I was procrastinating and had work open.
>alt f4 isn't working.
t-thanks windows.

It happens on every system with Linux, no matter the specs. If a program climbs to full CPU usage before I can close it the entire system will freeze and not recover

>It happens on every system with Linux, no matter the specs. If a program climbs to full CPU usage before I can close it the entire system will freeze and not recover
>no matter the specs
what are you even doing user. I doubt a ryzen series CPU would jam up or a Xeon. Are you hacking the NSA?

Its not about pure CPU power, its just about the CPU becoming taken up by a program. Any CPU can have this happen regardless of its power, it just takes more to do it to them

>Its not about pure CPU power, its just about the CPU becoming taken up by a program. Any CPU can have this happen regardless of its power, it just takes more to do it to them
Yeah but answer. What are you doing that jams up your system entirely?

Name the program.

I've fired up VMs in fedora and allocated 1.5x my available memory to it on accident.
It was super juttery but surprisingly usable for having to swap out in use pages on a VM.

>Its not about pure CPU power, its just about the CPU becoming taken up by a program. Any CPU can have this happen regardless of its power, it just takes more to do it to them

>Complains about resource management
>Runs forkbombs

Is this a fucking joke or what OP? TTY literally always works if you aren't a brainlet with a shit installation, as for windows, windows actually DOES completely freeze, not to mention blue screen and a bunch of other bullshit. Windows lets full screen apps rape your work environment and you can't even get to the task manager and lmaoing at your life if you think alt+f4 is reliable.

UG-Chromium is the program, but it applies to any browser
I'm a tab hoarder and when I accidentally leave open a bunch of bloated JS filled shit sites my CPU usage will start topping out and freeze the system, and doesn't even let me switch to TTY

>I'm a tab hoarder

>GRID
>On an Atom
>Integrated video
Well see there's your problem.

Text editor =/= 3D Racing game

This. Just because we have the resources does not mean we need to use them.

Update your UG-Chromium, this is a problem with the program itself. Something is broken and fork bombing your system.

Or better yet use regular chromium with regular bug fixes or better better yet ditch it for firefox.

The only redeeming factor of chromium is touchscreen functionality which keeps it on a single laptop I own, other than that customized firefox with dark theme addons sits on everything else.

>I'm a tab hoarder
stop being retarded

UG-Chromium is just the most common offender, many other large programs do it too

>Use a web browser thats even more bloated
genius

>You're just using your computer wrong!
hello Apple

>Chromium
There's a reason it's a heavy metal

>>GRID
>>On an Atom
>>Integrated video
>Well see there's your problem.
>
>Text editor =/= 3D Racing game
Forgot to mention it was on a different computer. Windows 10 LTSB on an i5 5200U with integrated graphics, it runs at 60fps constantly and occassionally bugs out on loading screens

use this thing called "The Great Suspender" and fuck off

>tab hoarder
>crap cpu
>super crap browser
>blames software

Yep. You're definitely stupid.

>Tablet
>Doesn't even know I have a Ryzen 5
>Doesn't know UG-Chromium is the lightest chromium fork
>Doesn't think this is a linux issue when it doesn't affect Windows

>Tabs get completely blanked and you have to unsuspend them to view them even for a split second
wow what amazing software

I remember thinking about how weird it was that Ubuntu 14 never froze

Why did I ever switch to 16 Sup Forums? Why?

>>Doesn't know UG-Chromium is the lightest chromium fork
it's still chromium
>>Doesn't think this is a linux issue when it doesn't affect Windows
>he doesn't think Windows wouldn't eat shit just as fast.

>ctrl+f scheduler
>no results
Nothing to do here either.
>Windows still prioritizes the system itself and allows the system to still function and give the the ability to close the program
Nice meme.

> on an Atom
I don't think that matters. Same happened to me while playing TF2 multiple times

>linux freezes but windows doesnt
What a silly meme, freezing frustration is why I switched to linux, windows a shit

cgroups
ulimits
you're retarded

NT has always had way better resource management than Linux, it's one of the few areas where it actually shines.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Everyone in this thread is retarded

There are button combos to push commands directly to the kernel even if whatever program freezes up your computer

>m.wikipedia.org
>m

Use Apple or Windows, Linux is not for you, if you think it has a bad scheduler.

it's also a security risk as it allows people to potentially kill shit like screen lockers and display managers and give you logged in ttys.

also doesn't solve the root cause of improper configuration of resource allocation.

also enjoy killing your non-journaled file systems, like the garbage ass vfat one you likely have mounted at /boot or /boot/efi if you accidently magic sysreq + b without s + u

Yea they could also just turn off the system with the power button.

Letting someone have physical access to your PC is a security flaw you dork

no it isn't.

let's see your killer exploit around gdm's lockscreen.

and if secureboot with luks is set up there isn't any meaningful thing you can do to the bootloader or the fs that wouldn't throw an error.

kernel can be tuned to not allow hot plug PCIe devices or even better, IOMMU.

What if they hit the power button on the computer case? What if they just steal your PC because you are so focused that having kernel communication is such a security flaw that you let tyrone have his will with it

What's wrong with the mobile site? Personally I think it looks great.

Thats a design FEATURE. Shift your mentality. If youre not using your resources, theyre useless. i fully support full utilisation at all times.

Yes it fucking is. Read this before talking about things you know nothing about

schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/10/evil_maid_attac.html

What's it like developing Android?

i'm fairly certain that you are retarded because cpu load does generally not freeze anything, using up all memory does.

It could if OP was 100% retardo and it to -20

so something that's legit defeated by secureboot?

> You boot your computer using the attacker's hacked bootloader

and then the EFI says, hey this isn't a signed efi payload and then it dies miserably and then the efi payload can trivially check the signature on the bootable kernel blob that might also be tampered with.

you're a fucking moron

then the integrity of my data is even safer unless they manage to pull of a unicorn "cold boot" attack and defeating that would simply be moving towards soldered memory or moving the keys into CPU registers, like AES-NI or debug.

linux is fucking garbage

Never had an issue

archive.fo/G6JL3

You're more describing what happens when you run out of memory with no swap file. I mean you could just compile a browser with max threads and it'll use all the CPU but still let the system keep going smoothly. You might also have your priorities set wrong on the program.

I had a similar issue to OP. System would freeze completely and not even REISUB will work. It seems to either just be related to high resource usage or the window manager I'm running which is xmonad, though I think it is the former since xmonad is known for being stable and there can go weeks between a freeze. I switched from firefox to chrome since at the time it had lower resource usage and it seems to be a much rarer issue with months between now.

>huuur get better computer
>linux needing anything >= a single core from the early 2000s
good one

thats probly a hardware problem at that point, assuming you remembered to actually enable it.

Is thepiratebay.org one of the open tabs?

Rajeet my son

I get the same thing when something decides to use all my ram. Teehee
I even made a swap part on my ssd, didn't help.