Has your computer ever became unbootable trying to install or configure Linux?

strawpoll.me/13968926

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=245082
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, but I was always able to fix it...

A better question with be:
"Have you ever got a Linux install so screwed up that a reinstall was easier than fixing it?"

Yup. Was pretty easy to fix, though. Took me roughly 10 minutes, and the vast majority of it was due to be limited to an iPhone looking for the answers (didn't have a boot stick on me at the time).

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=245082

I voted "yes" ironically.

Was double booting and lost the Windows partition when upgrading Ubuntu. So sort of.

I voted no because your question is far too specific and didn't even account for it being fixable

install, no. Configure, no shit. If you were fuvking with core level shit like being able to modify windows kernel /etc, you're bound to fuck up

>not having a backup USB live distro with boot-repair tools

i could boot into windows after i fucked up my debian install, so technically not
debian is working fine now though

>installed Mint a couple of years ago,
> dual partitioned the drive.
>went back to use it a week ago.
>nothing could update, had to do a fresh install.
>made a bootable dvd and flash drive.
>proceed to try every boot up option and tried booting in linux and windows partition/
>nothing works.
>throw laptop out the window
>hang myself.

No.

are you a ghost

failed at that too.

Couldn't really figure out how to boot Arch with a separate /var partition. I'm not so tech savvy.

another anti-linux thread, do you have a life fucking shill?

It's a weird question for anyone who has a normally functioning brain.

Linux is a very transparent system, if something doesn't work you always can figure out the problem, read logs, etcetera.

If at the end of the day it's problem in Linux and not in your knowledge of Linux or hardware, you can always create a bug report.

Linux is a system for techies who know how UNIX works, not for kids who can only push GUI buttons.

lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On the linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that the linux does not have. You have those two buttons in the linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

Literally never.

>Linux is a system for techies who know how UNIX works, not for kids who can only push GUI buttons.
Isn't it mostly 12 year olds who use Linux?

>You have those two buttons in the linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal
Jesus fucking Christ, Pajeet. Learn English before you make an obvious shill post.

He's just a paid microsoft shill, no one takes nonsense blabbering seriously

Jesus christ, microsoft really does hire shills

All the time. Generally able to fix it. But I've bricked a few flash drives trying to live boot

Super grub disk 2 master race (i now need an USB for booting

Yes, but it was my own fault for trying to do something hacker-y.

Nope you need to install windows 3 times because you can't go back after using the wrong email and then you just can't login and you'll have to start over.

What are you even talking about? Which two buttons? If you're going to shill at least make sense

The thing about Linux is people seem to be more willing to try things with it that will fuck it up than they will with Windows. I think this is because they start out as Windows users and hear about how you can do """""anything"""" in Linux from some freetard and get it into their head that Linux is supported to contort in whatever way they desire to their whims when they install the OS.

And on top of this Linux fosters this play-pretend mentality in people that they are some kind of hacker or big time system admin that must always be fucking around with config files or trying to do dumb shit like live swapping between kernels. And they they break the system.

To them I say:
Just... just don't that shit. Stop trying to make the system do shit you don't need it to do, or wouldn't care about because of these notions you got in your head. Just simmer down and use the OS like a reasonable person.

this really got my noggin joggin

Yes.
Was installing Slackware on BIOS/MBR and forgot to mark /boot partition as bootable.
Spent a few hours cursing until I've realized and corrected it.