so much for """elite""" programmers
triplebyte.com/blog/technical-interview-performance-by-editor-os-language

Other urls found in this thread:

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=python3&lang2=gpp
github.com/golang/go/wiki/GoUsers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Actually they state the contrary. Read the full article you nigger

>interview questions not posted
Are the "technical questions" any of the following?
>how do you create a site on WordPress?
>how to create an inclusive environment?
>tabs or spaces?
>how should a transgendered coder name their variables?
Those looks like the kind of questions the user of the top 3 performers is well versed in.

No shit, C++ is a lot harder than Ruby

the only important metrics were the "onsite" passing as that actually lead to gainful employment. C++ developers did fine there

no it doesn't

it's a Sup Forums reposts blog spam but with even worse commentary episode

Ruby is literally goo goo gaga drag-n-drop baby vomit

>the harder the language the more difficult to handle
really dingles my dongles

Nicely correlates with the amount of horrible C++ code out there.

>ruby
yeah ok dumb weeaboos

Yes, Java is so much harder than C#

>cherrypicking this hard

Have you ever been in a C++ technical interview? Just a complete nightmare.

Moral of the story is, if you're a python programmer, you are more likely to be competent.

>poos btfo

What does external onsite success rate mean?

They're some kind of staffing agency or something, so "external onsite interview" refers to the interview with the client looking to hire, not the interview conducted by the staffing agency.

>Moral of the story is, if you're a python programmer, there is less competition.
Fixed it for you

delet this

Oh good, I’m in a good position then :^)

>14.8%
wtf is wrong with the world

ikr, my current job is C++ while previous one was python.

What about
>59.6%
It is obvious those are web devs. If they only interviewed real devs this wouldn't happen.

Why wouldn't a developer use MacOS? It's an easy to use OS that works out of the box and has a POSIX shell underneath.

Linux is way overrepresented compared to the percentage of people using it. Nice

There are a lot more devices using linux than people using linux on their desktops. Obviously if you develop for linux you do it on a linux machine (unless you are a mactard hated by everybody else because your shit never work in real world).

c++ and python aren't mutually exclusive. There are like at least TEN different ways to make both inter-op.

elaborate please?

it's almost as if macos is good enough for development that people don't feel the need to install linux on their macbooks for some diminishing returns, unlike the case with windows

>programmers overrepresented in best os for programming
pajeet go home

>Why wouldn't a developer use MacOS?
Self respect.

More like you are forced to use macos if you have mactard designer assigned to your team who spams you with proprietary shit layouts only macbook can open.

macos is perfectly acceptable, it's not like X11 is any less opaque. as for designers they are all 100% harmful.

It's designed to differ as much as possible from other OSs to make you suffer if you want to switch to something else. That in itself is bad.

>Calls webdevs and codemonkeys engineers

Baby duck shit doesn't matter. They're all bad, macos at least has the important parts under the hood. Actual OS stuff rarely matters to anyone, just needs to have the bits to make anything work.

I'm not seeing a few things that seem really material here:

1) What exactly does the interview process look like? Is it a chat with Triplebyte where you discuss the technical aspects of a recent project? Is it a conversation about some technical topic (e.g. a verbal quiz)? Is it remote white-boarding? These are very different kinds of technical interviews and it matters how that interview is conducted.

2) Much more importantly to me as a grad student who occasionally hires undergrads: Is the interview process working in the first place? As in, if Triplebyte says that, out of a group of 100 applicants, these 10 are good, are those indeed the 10 best applicants? That's "precision" in information retrieval. Is Triplebyte missing 50 other equally qualified applicants? That's "recall". This post isn't discussing long term outcomes at all.

If a company provided loans to people and made a blog post along these lines about the demographics of people that they provided loans to, your first question would be "are all of the people you lend to paying back their debts?" because that's the dependent variable. If the lending company lends more often to people with Toyotas than to people with Hondas, but 90% of the people they lend to ultimately default on their loans, then who gives a shit what the demographics are?

I can see this being interesting, but Triplebyte doesn't seem to understand what their role is, and as a result they're asking all the wrong questions from their data.

You are right about me not giving shit about OS. Windows and linux provide me with everything I need in a desktop PC. I don't want to bother with macos because apple wants me to waste time on adapting to their shitty interfaces and then denies me a way to switch to other products while also forcing me to pay twofold for both the machine and accessories. Literally no reason to bother.

I'd never use windows myself. I've never actually owned a mac product though so can't comment on a lot of that. I've got a terminal window open 24/7 on linux though, can't imagine it would be different on mac.

You can use bash on windows this days. GUIs are pretty consistent between windows and linux software (unlike mac). Don't know why anyone will prefer any other OS over windows for home PC.

What a bunch of shit.
Nowhere in the text shows how that data was gathered, which is just important as data itself. They don't describe what methods they used to screen candidates, and what methods the companies they work with use to select candidates, then they just make assumptions based on raw data without knowing HOW they got that data.

she looks like she has qt feet

Look at that jewish nose.

> Also, deem titties

that's not a jewish nose

>jew nose
no hook at all.

Python works well with more than just C++, it works well with C and FORTRAN also, for example.

python wins again i see. is there any reason to even learn another language? python seems to be able to do just about everything.

it's not able to have decent static type checking

>it's not able to have decent static type checking
You could add static type checking to any dynamically typed language. It's just that users of dynamically typed languages like dynamic typing. Why are "muh type system" shills so incredibly dense?

>t. shlomo

as a c# dev, it is, cause it's shit

5 rupees have been deposited to your account
thank you
- microsoft team

I'm talking about decent static type checking, not some tacked on shit

You know, except for anything remotely computationally intensive. Or multithreading. But yeah, other than those it can do anything.

Because they've worked on large projects in dynamically typed language in the past and after about the thirtieth day of running into totally preventable bugs and functionally unreadable code they lost the will to live.

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=python3&lang2=gpp

>n-body
>python3 - 800 seconds
>c++ - 9 seconds.

SLOW
L
O
W

Calling a JS jockey, webdev, or script kiddie a "software engineer" is fucking insulting. It's like calling a fucking cashier a "customer service engineer" who "facilitates complex transactions".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

poor son, you still think that modern web is still just HTML+css+jQuery

>brainlets

>Calling programmers "engineers" at all

Sorry but feeding instructions to a computer is not engineering. Even software designers aren't true engineers.

It's 2017 grandpa. No one uses C/C++ for anything web related.

seems like ruby webdevs are much better at programming than c++ """engineers"""

"heh"

>Engineering is the application of mathematics, as well as scientific, economic, social, and practical knowledge, to invent, innovate, design, build, maintain, research, and improve structures, machines, tools, systems, components, materials, processes, solutions, and organizations.
even webdev is engineering. fuck off mr gatekeeper

no one uses C professionally except in kernel and embedded systems because there is no ready replacement, rust may do it but we will have to wait another decade and see

no one uses C++ professionally except in financial (which is moving towards python) and game industry

no one got time to spend a week to find a memory leak, or a multi threading bug that happens at a special case, reminder that industry cares about money and has no time to satisfy your autistic desires for low level control, they don't care about performance and efficiency since hardware is very cheap now, it's easier to open multiple python instances than code a single c++ performant server in most cases

>c++ elitists btfo
>eclipse users btfo
this information is best release of 2017

Not just POSIX.

Every version of Mac OS is a certified UNIX.

> for anything web related
that's because you dont use C++ for webdev.
that's for babby front end shit like javascript.

>no one uses C++ professionally except in financial
C++ is used for anything that is remotely computationally expensive.
real time simulations(biology, weather, astrophysics)
game development
predictions
AI
data management
OS's

basically anything that isn't facebook or some dumb phone app.

also all low level hardware, which can range from your refrigerator to your air conditioning unit.

>real time simulations(biology, weather, astrophysics)
>game development
>predictions
>AI
>data management
>OS's
you're right, but they tend to use c++ as last resort, of course python performs very poorly for intensive computations like real time simulations, but it's much safer and easier to do most things in python or even a fast compiled but safe lang like golang which is shit than to do everything in c++ and spend 10x dev time

>safe lang like golang
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

github.com/golang/go/wiki/GoUsers

I said it is shit and I find it very primitive and restrictive, but many companies are adopting it even in infrastructure projects because it saves time while giving much better performance than interpreted languages

Go sip your free-trade, conflict-free, certified-vegan, organ, overpriced coffee while twirling your code artisan mustache.

Go be a webdev autist somewhere else. Leave the real programmers alone to discuss things that don't include jquery, beard wax, or anal sex.

>data management
that's mostly Java and Scala
>OS's
the most popular kernel in computing is written in C
the most popular mobile os has a Java UI on top of that

>basically anything that isn't facebook or some dumb phone app.
that's a huge logical leap given that you only listed a couple of niches. for example, the banking industry, which mostly uses Java, is literally like 100x larger than the video gaymen industry

>Go sip your free-trade, conflict-free, certified-vegan, organ, overpriced coffee
I only drink cheap instant coffee, but I prefer water anyway
>while twirling your code artisan mustache
I don't have a mustache
>Go be a webdev autist somewhere else
but webdev is like the opposite of autism
>Leave the real programmers alone to discuss things
you mean /dpt/ autists that codegolf fizzbuzz in esoteric languages all day? that's very insulting to real programmers desu
>jquery, beard wax, or anal sex
I'm not into any of those

how can one post be so wrong?

forgot a pic :^)

WHATS THE POINT OF A TRANSPARENT BACKGROUND IN A FUCKING CHART HOLY SHIT SRSLY

to trigger hotheads
t. op

>people fail c++ tests the most
And this is supposed to be 'bad'?

>best OS for programming
Actually Linux dev tools are god awful. I dare say Mac has better tools. But windows clearly has the lead.

>I'm talking about decent static type checking
>decent
Decent being whatever you happen to like? Nobody cares about your arbirary subjective goalposts.

>people prefer dynamically typed languages because they're so bad
"Muh type system" shill logic.

no, you're just misinterpreting the chart. they have language-agnostic tests and the programmer can pick the language they want to use. people who picked C++ failed most frequently

decent being decent. I don't have very high expectations. even what TypeScript does is fine with me

companies tend to move from languages without static type checking to languages that have it as their codebase grows in complexity
dynamically typed languages are liked mostly by beginners who don't want to learn yet another thing if they don't have to.
of course there are cases where using types doesn't pay off. I write all my utility scripts in Python, but nowadays as soon as a script stops being tiny I rewrite it in Go

>decent being decent
Come back when you have some objective criteria. Nobody cares to discuss your feelings.

>companies tend to move from languages without static type checking to languages that have it as their codebase grows in complexity
Companies tend to move from flexible languages to Java-tier trash when they grow big enough to hire dozens of replaceable code monkeys.

>dynamically typed languages are liked mostly by beginners
Dynamically-typed languages are liked mostly by competent programmers who know that static typing doesn't buy you much.

oh, we're already on the
>basement dwellers are better programmers than employers of top tech companies
argument
I'm not taking the bait this time

>people who picked C++ the most failed the most
Ah. Well that's different. Well I can see that being the case. People are shit at C++.

>makes a bunch of retarded assertions
>gets back a bunch of assertions to the contrary
>major butthurt ensues
Come back when you have some actual arguments. Protip: "real programmers use X" doesn't cut it.

>There are a lot more devices using linux than people using linux on their desktops.
Yeah, we have masses of people developing server tools and tivos and shit.

this just shows that more than anything you shouldn't pick C++ as your interview language even if that's your main language.

does it really takes a genius to figure out that it will be easier to write python on the whiteboard and not worry about fucking up the syntax.

>tfw took the online triplebyte test and scored well enough to skip to the final phone interview
Should I go for it? I’m still in school but I kind of want to quit and get a job already

>dynamically typed languages are liked mostly by beginners who don't want to learn yet another thing if they don't have to.
Maybe this claim would have some merit if the mainstream statically typed languages didn't use babby-tier type systems that even a retard can understand. In fact, the only reason to avoid having a decent type system is specifically to flatten the learning curve and constrain the range of abstraction corporate code monkeys can use.

that and optimization, can't optimize for shit if you're going to change things on the fly.

>safe lang like golang
C++ isn't exactly unsafe unless you're dumb and trying to break shit.

Also, garbage collected languages like Go don't belong in real time scenarios, where non-determinism is not tolerable.

>if you're going to change things on the fly.
What does "changing things on the fly" have to do with having a non-retard type system?

>Protip: "real programmers use X" doesn't cut it.
good point, but tell that to the sepplesfags

>tell that to the sepplesfags
I'm telling it to the babby-tier static typing fan.

>real time
no such thing except in certain embedded systems which usually don't even use c++ due its runtime overhead non-determinism

Wow is Ruby really that sought after? I have no idea what the tech industry is looking for desu

everyone got in on the big rails push and now they're stuck