Get new laptop for work

>get new laptop for work
>YOU SHOULD INSTALL LINUX ON THERE
>yeah sure I guess that could be nice
>start by installing Ubuntu
>cannot disable trackpad while typing

This is why I fucking hate linux. FUCKING EVERYTHING IS CUSTOM FUCKING SOLUTIONS TO SHIT THAT WOULD WORK OUT OF THE FUCKING BOX ON WINDOWS

Fucking explain to me what I fucking gain by using Linux. Please.

>inb4 ubuntu

Yeah I sure would gain a lot by installing Gentoo or Arch.

Other urls found in this thread:

http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/synaptiks/kde-config-touchpad_0.8.1-2_all.deb
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

maybe you should work out some bub, sounds like your hands are fat as fuck lol

>Yeah I sure would gain a lot by installing Gentoo or Arch.
you would.

lose some wight you fat piece of shit and you wont brush your trackpad with your obese fingers

>brush touchpad with palm
>hurrr fat

Ok buddies

Yeah fucking hairloss because nothing works.

>custom solutions
The hell?
Editing configs isn't a "custom" solution in any way, its pretty much the only way you can change your preferences on any system.
Doesnt matter if you do it through a GUI or not, you're always changing a few lines in a conf file located somewhere.
Now, why wouldn't you do that yourself, manually? Takes even a noob only a few minutes, and you could even learn something along the way.

>ever enabling trackpads
just don't.

Not OP, but maybe because on windows you just press the dedicated fn key, which is disabled on Linux

It worked on my MATE Arch install

KDE disables trackpad while typing automatically. It also disables the trackpad completely if you plug in a mouse.
On all my laptops the dedicated keys always work out of the box. Unlike on windows, where you first need to install a driver.

> TO SHIT THAT WOULD WORK OUT OF THE FUCKING BOX ON WINDOWS
With custom software like drivers. Just no. Sure, a lot of things work OOB on Windows but only if you use the latest release.

Never install Linux on your main rig unless you are proficient already. Use virtual machines instead. If you don't know what those are, you aren't ready for Linux.

Disregard anyone who hasn't used Linux for at least ten years. Disregard rice distros because they are shit. Learn Red Hat and Debian to make money.

Most people gain NOTHING by using Linux. Windows is free to download and doesn't require activation. Linux requires intensive study to be useful. It is not for office work, CAD or end user tasks beyond entertainment and safe torrenting.

>debian to make money
Sorry, that ship has sailed. RHEL and Ubuntu. SUSE maybe if you're in germany or something, they seem to like that shit.

As for installing as a noob it's a perfectly reasonable OS if you know what NOT to do to it.
>Only install from software center/official/that one unofficially official nonfree repo. don't add repos or ppas.
>don't use su/sudo, no good will come of it. a GUI popup is all you can manage.
>don't run any commands/scripts from the internet
That should solve 99% of all new user problems. That's just a kind of shittier windows at that point.

Until you install Faildows on the same machine and it works out of the box, you're talking crap.

> RHEL and Ubuntu
RHEL is paid but I may consider CentOS.
> Ubuntu
Can't be dist-upgraded into a non-broken shape. EL can't be dist-upgraded at all, though.

i dunno what that comment about ubuntu means, it's got all the same failings that debian has but with support contracts.

> support contracts
Having an in-house support team is cheaper.

Possibly. Having a support contract means you can scapegoat all your problems to the other guy and that's kind of important. Also higher tier managers only deal with salesmen and not engineers so you know what they'll think is the better option.

I want to add something to my comment, that's why somebody may consider hiring a system administrator, to avoid paying Red Hat and Canonical.
> you can scapegoat all your problems to the other guy
Maybe. Not an option when something critical happens, there must be somebody who can set up things and fix them.
> Also higher tier managers only deal with salesmen
Yes, but no. They look at profit charts and consider many things, like "how much will it cost us to have a downtime within SLA", "support contract cost", "IT team salary".

Most businesses still don't know how to hire competent technical staff. I mean I worked a jr. sysadmin job and they were running centos so I know the jobs do exist but you're going to be running one of the big two systems no matter what if only to work alongside the other companies that do have those contracts or suspect they might need to in the future.

You can install the oldschool synaptiks touchpad settings manager:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wget gdebi
wget http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/synaptiks/kde-config-touchpad_0.8.1-2_all.deb
sudo gdebi kde-config-touchpad_0.8.1-2_all.deb
sudo apt-mark hold kde-config-touchpad

After installation, open a terminal and execute the following command:

synaptiks &

You will probably see a bunch of output and then it will exit. After that happens, open a terminal and execute the following command (again) to open the settings configuration:

synaptiks &

You will probably want to check the box to start up automatically at boot.

Try another DE or some shit you autistic fatass nigger faggot.