/sqt/

Stupid Questions Thread
Use a search engine before posting
Not kosher or halal

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hWVkYO4w2f8
veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ubuntu resets the display DPI every time I turn it off and on again. Is there a way to permanent setting?

If a phone or tablet get released "in cooperation with Verizon", does that mean that the phone/tablet is US only and will never get released outside the US?

Do I use Adobe flash to animate things on top of a video? Like in an E;R video? Video related

youtube.com/watch?v=hWVkYO4w2f8

Is the raspberry pi zero good enough to output 720p video to multiple monitors?

The same output on all monitors sure, different outputs no.

probably in xorg.conf

My Acer E15 laptop was feeling particularly crashy yesterday, until at one point where it restarted and booted to a "no bootable device found". I thought this was really weird since the laptop is somewhat new (~3-5 months old) and I thought the HDD was already acting up.

Anyway, after a bit of googling and trying a bit of everything (bios, unscrewing the back, blowing away the dust, looking at the drive, etc) it somehow fixed itself and booted normally. However, as I'm typing this now I feel I'm on very thin ice and scared it might happen again.

Pic related is what the bios looked like yesterday and what the task manager looks like now. (though the disk % is about 0-5% now, was even up to about 100% like 10 mins ago)

I have no idea what caused it or might cause it again (I know fuck all about hardware/drives), so, does anyone what might the reason be / what I should do?

Thanks a ton.

Woops, pic related.

While changing graphic cards I turn off on board grahpics and then stupidly because I thought the new card was DOA, I switched to boot form onboard and now simply don't spot out a signal.
Is a CMOS reset my only solution here? Thanks

Whadu delete it for?

stop clogging up the board, question already posted in members area, locked the thread

>just installed win 7 and gpu driver for gtx 760
>all video playback causes "micro freezes" where everything is stuck for fraction of second and a "robot" sound can be heard as the sound freezes aswell
>sometimes even the driver crashes
>no issues with gaming (path of exile/csgo)
>gpu stress tests show no issues

what sort of things should i try here?

tried to install debian on an acer asp e11 and the installation gets stuck on discoveries after partitioning and setting up packages found the cause of the error, missing driver package because acer drivers, however I can't copy the drivers to the pc during installation, doesn't recognizes any of my USB drives. I looked at the bug report emails and googled for a day after i gave up, does anybody encountered the same issue? Is there a way to just get the cli OS on it without discovery trying to use the driver? or should i just stick ubuntu and the rest?

wtf is wrong with my partitions? pic related

disk 0 is a 160GB SATA II HDD, I guess I had Windows XP installed in that 27,94GB partition, I also remember that the 90GB partition was created to store all my mp3 and the 30GB partition I created to store animes I really liked so I could rewatch them in the future. disk 1 is a 500GB SATA II HDD, it's newer than disk 0 and I have Windows 7 installed, notice that there is no System Reserved 100MB partition and it has a 9MB partition of unallocated space

these are my doubts:
1) can I delete those 27,94GB and 1,10GB partitions then expand my 90GB partition to consume them? I don't care if Windows XP is installed in any of them
2) is there a possibility System Reserved partition is inside one of those two partitions in disk 0, even though when my C:\ folder has "Boot" folder, "bootmgr" system file and BOOTSECT.BAK?
every single tutorial teaching step by step how to dual boot Windows with GNU/Linux talks about that System Reserved partition, I'm kinda afraid I'll fuck everything up if I try to dual boot

I thought that post was kinda unclear and a bit poorly formated, sorry

1) Yes, but I wouldn't do it with Disk Management. Try EaseUs Partition Manager.

2) Doesn't look like it, but there's a simple test. Unplug Disk 0 and see if your PC boots.

It doesn't matter if you have a reserved partition or not. You probably just installed windows to a preexisting partition.

Where is best place to get decent phone accessories in Europe? More specifically, in Finland?

Decent being good enough quality to last more than a year without being too expensive. I want a case for my P10 Lite. Also, do the wallet type cases mess with NFC?

thx for replying, I'll do this unplug test and see what happens

>It doesn't matter if you have a reserved partition or not. You probably just installed windows to a preexisting partition.
got it, thx. I can shrink my C:\ volume, create a new partition and install Ubuntu in it without worrying then, there will be no bootloader problems, right?

just came to know that it's not possible to develop iOS apps on Linux or Windows. people unironically buy a mac for it. How is this okay

I have made a console program in C and I would like to create a GUI for it. I read that it's possible to make the core in one language and the GUI in an other one
Does anybody have a link to a website that will explain how to do that ?

Right

just came to know people unironically buy a mac just for iOS development. how is this allowed

i just sold a 1500$ worth of steam item, is there any way to cash my wallet?

thank you!

>outie
dropped

You gotta have SOMEONE to fill the back end.

check if your HDD is ok and maybe look into codecs

conti already considering "meet the guy who want more steam wallet, and buying his trash item with 1500$ steam wallet while he pays me real money", but im afraid of the risk since im legally a minor in my country (19yo). so is there a safer way like some online shit that pays me paypal or something?

Id just use your most popular online auction/selling service

Isn't that the only way?

The subwoofer in my room is making my ears hurt.
Where should I direct my subwoofer? It's a ground type woofer.

You compile it as a library and use some ffi library to call into it.

whats a good way to pirate photoshop cs6

xorg.conf, or create a script that runs on startup and does it, like I do in order to disable mouse acceleration.

portableappz

Yeah probably, it's not that bad, just do it. Also
>Ever disabling the onboard graphics and not just letting the mobo manage detection for you
>"Stupidly because I thought the new card was DOA, I switched to boot from onboard"
Yeah no, that wasn't the stupid part.

just meet up and bring your friends unless you're /that guy/
are you a girl, btw?

I want to encrypt an entire folder to a single file before uploading it to a cloud.
How can I easily do this on Linux?

What is currently the recommended password manager?

ez
Use veracrypt to create an encrypted volume, put files in, upload.
veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html

7z a -p archive.7z /path/to/directory

So I just RMA'd my Ryzen CPU with Amazon because if kept crashing my system when compiling.
What are the chances that I'm getting a replacement from one of the new batches that aren't faulty? Are the old ones still being distributed at all?

Can you sign into a 2nd gmail on bluestack?

Hydrus netowk isn't auto-tagging any files, clicked "help > I don't know what I'm doing > just set up some repositories for me, please", imported 5 of the most popular pics of all time from sankaku, and left it sit overnight yet none have any tags set, what am i doing wrong?

There are a couple, but the defining feature is generally that they're open source. Personally I use keepass 2.

forgot to mention that i tried the server test thing and got an error from hydrus.no-ip.org, tried pinging it too and i get no response, the access key shows as fine when i test.

Im going to ask my parents for it before i put it on craigs or something, if they agree then i go ahead. To answer ur question, yes i am, and do have bf but he is a nerd that would piss his pant if shtf.

ContOh also i just read that steam might ban me if they notice abnormal transaction, is that true?

Do any raspberry pi-esque single board computers exist with a decent CPU and VGA output?

fixed itself after i restarted the program nice

how can I determine the position of the scrollbar in a page and if I reached the bottom of said page? my idea is: if you reached the bottom of the page doThis. looking for a fully javascript solution, no jquery

Define decent

If u mean a modern desktop class performance cpu/gpu then there is none.
Raspi3 performance are equivalent with 2006 c2d with a geforce fx 5500

Currently I have an external drive bay for one of my hard drives that I use for seeding torrents, I am looking to get another hard drive so I will have to get a 2 drive enclosure rather than my current one, this connects by USB to my computer.

My question is, will there be any issue in replacing the drive enclosure and keeping my current drive as :X drive so that I don't need to do anything to my torrent program to continue seeding the files?

Just enough to be able to emulate PS1 and maybe N64 games, let's say.

Pretty sure raspi3 will emulate ps1 well, until 2009, i had a p2 450 based ibm pc300gl that i use exclusively to run epsxe, and it runs smoothly with fast setting. Dunno about n64 tho

whats a windows alternative for macs spotlight?
basically like the search tool in the start menu, but better and faster.

What's a reasonably priced, slimline laptop that'd be a decent upgrade to my Yoga 13?

I want to be able to play more games. Stuck with indieshit and old games at the moment.

VGA is a big deal, ideally I'd run it at a weird modeline like 3840x480 so I can minimize scaling artifacts on platforms like SNES and CPS2 so I don't think a HDMI to VGA adaptor would work either.

You can change the letter used for a drive. Also you can get two enclosures instead of a "2 drive enclosure"

Yeah I wrote it all wrong what I meant was when I put the old drive in the new docking station will it still be recognised as drive :X or will I have to change that manually and if that might cause any problems.

My desk isn't really big enough for another separate docking station..

did you just void your own warranty?
if the drive is seagate/samsung then it's just normal since seagate drives are a complete shit.
Check if the HDD is spinning or doing a weird sound. If it isn't booting to bios then it's probably RAM. It's also likely that your laptop had a strong RF/EMF interferrance.
If the OS/programs are crashy then it's likely your RAM failing or receiving interferrance. If the HDD is failing then your OS won't be noticeably affected but it'll feel terribly slow.

Are seagate drives still shit? There are some good deals on the iron wolf series right now I've been looking at.

Is turning out camera in BIOS setting enough, or do I have to put a sticker on my camera for muh privacy and any possible future breaches?

Are you going to use your webcam at all? Usually you can just detach them.

good way to wipe hhd?

DBAN

strong magnet

I'm now business travelling a lot, so I have my BestPad with me, and I'm not confident enough to disassemble it without having a second PC with manuals or as a backup.

And no, I basically don't use the camera. When I use voicecomms from time to time, I just say I don't have it on my laptop.

My ebookreader was stolen.
Never felt so angry in my life.
Any way I can backtrack it and cap this son of a bitch's knees?
It is a kobo

Is there a simple way to export all settings and addon configurations of Vivaldi? I have two PCs and wish to save everything from time to time and import the same configuration on the second machine.

Okay, I'm still not getting anywhere.

>Win7 64bit, Phenom II X4 965, HD5770, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM
>PC hard-freezes after 3-4min, no way of recovering it without reboot.
>Also happens in safe mode, but after significantly longer time (~20min)
>No suspicious programs running and taking up CPU, no recent software/hardware-changes.
>Windows-RAM-test didn't give any bad results, seems fine
>Windows-HDD-test freezes some time during the test, won't finish
>only suspicious temp is the northbridge, 82°C (can't measure in safe mode, drivers for temp-readout (?) won't load and stuff like HWmonitor doesn't show the temps
I'm pretty sure the northbridge-temperature isn't anything new though.

This all started 2 days ago, sadly I don't have a lot of time for trouble-shooting because work.

What's the most likely culprit?

I have no idea about the particular device you mentioned, but, if it can connect to wifi and whoever took it does connect and accesses your account (whatever is on there, who knows?), there might be a way to see the IP they used if you look at the account's settings.

how to make this script to sum by 1 everytime it loops?

Loop 1156
var:= 11186
{
var+=1
ToolTip % var
Sleep, 85

SendInput {Raw}11186
SendInput {Raw}File 11186
SendInput {Raw}11186
}
return ;

so in the next loops it will be 11187, 11188... and so on

Do a RAM test and check your PSU. Repaste the chipset if it really gets that hot.

Otherwise think of retirement. A Pentium will be enough if you don't or only lightly game, more powerful and energy saving than yours. You also need a SSD.

These old hardware parts are starting to fail. Most often its the PSU, many people only buy cheap ones and expect them to run 10 years+.

can I install linux on nextbook?

>Windows-HDD-test freezes some time during the test, won't finish
Even before reading this I was suspecting the HDD. You might wanna try to read the SMART data from your disk, but this is kind of a PITA and probably won't tell you much. If you have another HDD lying around somewhere you might try to install some OS (e.g. Linux) on it and check if the problem still occurs. Or you could try to run your computer a few days with a live CD. There are even distros especially made for diagnostics, so you might as well just try one of those and make a few HDD tests.

Can you?

seems possible.

where can I find the instruction per clock of various CPUs? I don't find this information on intel ark.

I did a RAM-test, it returned no errors.
I'm going to put new thermal compound under the northbridge, yes.

I'll think about the upgrades, however the PSU is only a little more than a year old, it's a corsair CX430M.

The HDD isn't particularly old, I do have an old HDD with an old Windows-installation on it that I'll try.
Could it really be the HDD if it takes so much longer for the PC to freeze up in safe mode?

china

I think it was quite shitty last 2012-2015
>most radiostream/encoders/chan-archivers got their server drives pwned
>too many incidents about drive failure at different boards/chans i frequent
>even people I'm close with got drive failure'd
>seagate
4tb+= seagates are probably good though.

Thats a low end one, though a pretty good one. They can sometimes fail.

I had a Phenom II 940 too, it drained over 150 W idle. Thats why I switched to a i5-3000 platform, I got 35 € for the Phenom (Note: This is the AM2+ version!) and bought the i5 for 40 €, doubling the performance and reducing the power draw significantly. I recommend you to do the same. Keep your RAM, only sell MB and CPU and get a H61 or similar one. Old Intels are dirt cheap now.

Also get a SSD. These upgrades aren't expensive and they belong into every modern office machine.

Does wine play well with gaymes that require Visual Studio 2015 runtime?

The changes of a HDD failing decrease somewhat over time. In a way it's more likely for a new HDD to fail then for an old one.

I don't think it is the PSU since a problem there would presumably manifest in complete system shutdown / reboot and not with a freeze. I would suspect the same with a NorthBrige failure, although the certainly is some potential for strange behaviour. However I don't think around 90°C is extremely hot for such a chip depending on the cooling solution of course.

in my experiance a freez is usually one of two things:
- hdd failure
- ram failure

GPUs can also freeze the system, but then you get usually strange image distortions as well.

Of course almost anything is always possible.

Yes I realise that and am one of the people that got a shitty seagate drive and swore never to use them again but maybe now they have fixed the problems.

Seagate isn't bad, I only buy their drives and not a single one failed. My old HP system drive ran almost ten years, a long time 24/7, 40K hours so far and it still has reserve sectors.

The only drive that ever failed me was a Samsung Spinpoint. It worked until 2016 when I got my X99 system, which hadn't SATA2 ports anymore. It didn't work anymore and later I found out it was a defective firmware, "Click of death", this thing is completely dead now.

What Windows application would you lads recommend for somebody who wants to learn a little webdev?

can you stop posting pics of her?
she's fucking ugly, man

Got new GPU it says installation is prevented by policy, how do I fix this?

My linux boots really quick from my SSD, but my BIOS easily takes 15+ seconds.
Any idea why this is and how to fix it?

Basic bitch college student here with some FAFSA shekels. Should I buy a new thinkpad for 300 or 400 bucks or should I buy a bluetooth keyboard since I already have a samsung tablet and I mainly plan to use my computer for word processing and email. I imagine the lack of a mouse for my tablet would be triggering

I've been having problems with my Macbook Pro. On occasion, when I plug in a USB device it powers off and wont charge for days. Usually after about a week it starts charging again, but it's been almost 2 since the most recent occurance and still nothing.

Is this a known battery problem or what?

Do you local cops offer a meeting place where you can do the deal. Mine have shit for people selling stuff via craiglist and things like that

when typing, if i hit backspace my keyboard deletes words too quickly and i end up having to rewrite entire paragraphs. how do i change this?

Get the laptop. Especially when you need to do research for a paper, you'll appreciate the full features of a proper OS.

do you have a retard-proof free video editor you can recommend
openshot or kdenlive any good?