Database

Hi, I'll have to make database soon in acces, do you guys have any tips and tricks that might help me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MhfNQci_VzU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

New -> Database

Just end it all. And back to >>v

Use "key values"

Learn SQL

I will, but first I need to do database in acces.

/thread

Why is this better than Right Click -> New Database?

Unless you have made a DB before, plan for it to be garbage. Be prepared to make four to six versions before you are complete.

If you are not already making a map of how each table, query, mac, etc is going to interact you need to start now. Also plan for those plans to be garbage and have several iterations.

DB creation becomes an art over time. If you are not doing it everyday and cannot plan the minute details in your mind, for the love of God start mapping it out and keep detailed notes.

Keep a naming pattern for elements that relate to one another.

Oh thanks, any tips for easy database, because there is no rule what DB should be about only that it should had at least one relationship, and I haven't done databases.

Ok. You need to head over to Udemy or You tube now and start watching DB crash courses.

If people at a company are relying on you don't waste their time by taking on a task you don't understand (this is if you are old enough to be drawing a check our paying taxes ).

If this is for personal growth for future job potential then pay for some of those courses. Most are very well structured but only teach best practices and small inklings of how to do easy tasks.

Pick up Access Inside and Out for the version of office you are working in. That book is invaluable and read it cover to cover while working through ALL examples. Don't skip anything. ..

Then just make a shitton of little DBs that you won't need but actually function.

Skill up!

Thanks again, so right now I'm something like in high school, I have learned some basics last year, but now I have lessons about databases in general, and now task is to make some kind of database with relationships.
It's new teacher so I don't know much about him, so came here for help.

Golden rule is 3NF.
Always.

Get a used copy of the book I mentioned above with the cd. It will make it easy promise. Worth the investment especially once you enter the working world.

youtu.be/MhfNQci_VzU

Also hit up Lynda. Com

nice try linus

make entity-relationship diagrams

atomicize as much as you can

fit your design and layout for efficiency, your views are secondary and can always be obtained from queries

I can not recommend using Access if you want to learn about databases. Access is a way of building small applications and holding onto relatively simple data. If you genuinely want to learn how databases work get SQL Server Express or MySQL/Maria DB. If you want a smaller and slightly simpler option look at SQLite3. Access takes away a lot of the hassles with binding GUI options to data however it limits your control and understanding of datatypes, constrains, indexes ect. plus if you need to add scripts you get dropped into a world of macros, modules and VBA. Personally if i was learning again I would have loved being shown how to build a database properly and what the relational model really means then use something like the EntityFramework, c# and winforms or even SQLAlchemy, Python and HTML as a platform to build my experiments. much better transferable skills for the job market than Access.

>meme frameworks as transferable skills

you will always have a comfy job doing access

Thermite is an excellent add on to Access databases
Learn SQL then install Postgres

Currently work for a company doing data transformations.
> meme frameworks

> motherfucking access

>EF
>meme
That's what the big boys at every bank use.
If you want meme go for node.js frameworks.

This is accurate. Nothing more useless than an in-accessible database.

Im glad you got hired. Good luck.