Other urls found in this thread:

igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gnome.

Sneed

yours

>Gnome.
this

why use a DE when you can use a tiling WM?

\thread

gnome

All of them
>not using a WM

wrong

>TWO
>FUCKING
>TASK
>BARS

windows 10

Sup with two bars, i dont get.

No way

fpbp

Not necessarily by its UI - altough it sucks for multi-window usage and the title bar sucks - but technically.

Gnome

windows 10 is the least intuitive, least user friendly, most bloated and most buggy interface of all mentioned. Also ugly and shows ads.

>implying SLE classic (gnome-classic-shell with only 1 bar) isn't perfect

The DE which hinders your capacity to do productive work on your OS or which negatively impacts the performance of your software.

Is MATE dead?
They still have no roadmap for 1.20.

Gnome, nothing comes close

GNOME and anything based on it. You have to hack your way through to get most basic functionality (example: adding a launcher to a file/executable) while KDE and Xfce have proper GUI tools/settings out of the box. The whole point of a DE is to make things easier for the user. GNOME does it's job the worst (ignoring meme DEs) and is bloated/heavy while doing so.

merge them like linux mint does

You can have as many or as few panels as you like.

Ain't nobody here using a DE Reddit

How has no one said KDE yet

Gnome dev pls go

Happy birthday

Gnome:
>Hardly any features, and each update removes more features, dumbing it down so much
>Can't even minimise windows
>Have to add features back in with third-party extensions, but those are buggy pieces of shit written in JavaScript by pajeets, as opposed to quality polished software, and they often become abandoned
>Every update breaks extensions and themes
>Refuses to cooperate with the general Linux community, they just live in their own bubble where only Red Hat, GTK, and Gnome exist
>KDE guys make sure their software runs well and looks good under Gnome, but meanwhile Gnome applications look like shit on Plasma because they don't care
>"I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, and Ubuntu app, or an XFCE app unfortunately. I'm sorry that this is the case but it wasn't GNOME's fault that Ubuntu has started this fork. And I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry."
>"It is my hope that you are a GNOME app..."

It ain't my birfday nigga

Gnome is actually the best. It's the only one of Linux DEs which doesn't look like it was made by kids. And it's workflow is actually kinda cool. It's somewhere in a middle between keyboard driven twm and a classical DE.
Also if you like obsolete things - you can choose Gnome Classic from GDM and have you favourite Gnome 2 layout.

>Laptop
Everyfuckingtime

Where's the Fischer price interface? Why did you post a pic that looks remarkably similar to xfce or mate?

Here.

I've been slowly customizing GNOME for a couple weeks now and it has easily become my comfiest DE ever.
Why the sudden switch of hatred from Unity to GNOME? Not that I hate Unity, I just find it interesting.

Unity is by far the worst one ever. I find it interesting that people suddenly hate gnome now that canonical switched back to it

t. gnomecuck

I actually use awesome window manager

Gnome or unity default

Cinnamon is the best imo

GAHAHAHHAHAH LMAO !!!!! IT'S GNOME!!!! WORST DE IS GNOME HAHAHAHAHA FUCK GNOME AHHAHAHAH

>Gnome is actually the best.
Shit will be dead within 2 years screen shot this. No one wants to use that shitty meme tablet interface

>Fucks Chads in the ass
Kekd

B B B BUT U CAN CUSTOMIZE IT U CAN CUSTOMIZE IT DID I TELL U U CAN CUSTOMIZE IT IT'S CUSTOMIZABLE U CAN ADD EXTENSIONS TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A NORMAL OS FUCK U GNOME IS THE BEST

Not Windows 8?

XFCE can do this but bEtTeR

and what the majority of people will be using in 2019? KDE which is in forever beta? Something already obsolete like MATE and XFCE? Or you believe that Solus team will actually make something more out of Budgie than just a GNOME with extensions. But hey, maybe we will go full web and chink and will use Deepin?

>Uses DVDs in $currentyear
What's the problem? I can't get my DVDs hacked.

CAPTCHA: ROAD ROAD

>default in every single relevant distro
>will be dead within 2 years
user please.

>I've been slowly customizing GNOME for a couple weeks now and it has easily become my comfiest DE ever.
I guarantee you there is no one on this board who uses Gnome customized with extensions long term. You either embrace the autism and use meme interface or use something else. All gnome extensions are garbage. There is no reason to use GNOME 3 customized with extensions to look exactly like classic/xfce but more buggy.

You've been slowly wasting your time

> slowly wasting your time
Have you read his post? He is not using KDE

No one is going to use that shit. Either someone will fork and make something half decent or everyone will use cinnamon

>No one is going to use that shit.
Are you new or something?

You do realize that DEs come with a WM right?

What do you want me to reply

Gnome for multiple reasons.
The shell is a lackluster unoptimized crap, it lacks a lot of basic features which are left to 3rd party devs to deliver (extensions).
The GTK system is an outdated mess that won't get fixed upstream. (GTK filepicker for example)
Now with the CSD meme it won't get any better.
I jumped ship a while ago and I didn't look back.

These are the programs installed on the school computers, and the teacher wants us to use Eclipse (which so far I'm satisfied with). Are they any good?

Yeah, it's whatever. When I was studying we used Eclipse too, now I prefer IDEA.
The transition isn't too complicated, some people make it sound like Eclipse is some sort of demonic garbage.
Fuck MemeBeans.

That isn't how you start a new thread user.

>cinnamon
>best

Yes, but DEs are extra bloat so why not just use a WM instead?

Lol this is a meme but I can tell this triggers your autism too much to use cinnamon. Would probably be really easy to patch that, I thought about digging through the code and fixing but it's such a small thing.

GEOS and GEM/TOS

>sudden
>People hate been hating on Gnome for years, and rightfully so.
igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

It's due to there being a spot there for action icons on removable drives. Like the eject button. Doesn't ever show on folders but they still reserve space for it

This. I fucking hate the CSD meme. It's such a completely retarded idea.

>>Refuses to cooperate with the general Linux community, they just live in their own bubble where only Red Hat, GTK, and Gnome exist
Gnome is a RH product as much as systemd. RH is the cancer.

I actually switched to macbook for the first time in my life because of Windows post-7 UI mishaps. I would have just gone with Linux but I need to run Examsoft and it's Mac/Win.

Is that i3 or awesome?
Also wat music player?

>One particular issue is the ability for users to modify the top bar via extensions. This part of the UI is vital for giving GNOME 3 a distinctive visual appearance. If we do have extensions, I would very much like to see the top bar made out of bounds for extension writers
Wow

>I agree with Allan. I am really concerned about this effort to encourage and sanction themes and extensions.
Qt it is I guess

>Meanwhile, a user request: please add a way to customize the toolbar

>The report asking to reintroduce the location/path toggle button was closed as WONTFIX. The sacrosanct Nautilus interface is more important than users’ needs:

>André Klapper wrote:

>There are currently no plans to reintroduce the location bar by default or to provide a toggle button as the cluttered interface has been simplified for 3.0.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""simplified"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Next we should just remove all keyboard and mouse input and used voice commands to simplify it

You can move all the panel items to single panel.

>Sorry, but the whole point of gnome-power-manager is to save power without getting in the way of what the user wants to do. It’s not going to let you set the “performance” governor any more than it lets you increase the brightness on battery.

>The Power Off option is hidden because we don’t believe it’s necessary in that menu […]. The primary way that a user would shut down (if they, say, need to disconnect power) would be to log out and shut down through GDM

Kek'd

>Not having 2 bars lovingly flank and embrace your desktop
Fuck off loser

Stallman was right

Bump. Come on out gnome fags. What do you have to say for yourselves so we can laugh at you

You Posted it.

The people who made Gnome 3 fucked up. It's form over function, with unhealthy sprinkles of "not invented here".

What, do you think the top bar should look how you want it and do what you want it to? It's our brand, you little shit. We have to have something that makes it clear that you're using a Gnome Desktop.

and you can get hdd/ssd hacked ?

budgie

what is wrong with kde ?

it is customisable, you can make kde look super minimalistic or shitty as gnome or mby you like unity so you make it look like unity.

oh man that is good answer, i am glad that you did not argue Gnome vs KDE

he is gnome fag, ignore him

i use i3 on rpi2 it is usable (except when i need to copy and paste magnet link in torrent client but its not a big deal )
but on my main machine u use kde because i dont want to lose my nerves over small things like xdg-open
i even adopted i3-s shortcut for virtual desktops (and started using many other shortcuts because of my encounter with i3 )

Unity, Gnome 3

His wife is Swedish, not Dutch

What a fucking nightmare.

spwp

Nice aesthetics though

Gnome 3

Only two things are wrong with Plasma:
1. Excessively thick scrollbars.
2. Bad out-of-the-box defaults.

It doesn't even have good form though.

not vanilla gnome

KDE

Gnome shell is single-threaded (mega lag)

>2017
>Not using a wm
ok user

I've been using it since it's release. In the beginning it was a mess, but now it's pretty great. All of my extensions work, too. Maybe it just sucks on certain distros? It never gives me any problems on Arch or Fedora.