Who else /onlylaptop/ here? Why did you do it?

Who else /onlylaptop/ here? Why did you do it?

This isn't a thread against desktops. I'm actually doing this because I'm going to be moving around a lot, and don't want to lug around my desktop PC on my travels. I'm now just using two ThinkPads for all my computing needs.

WHat are your day to day needs and how have yo accommodated them?

Because i stopped gaming.

Looking to probably buy a W530 once that va money kicks in.

Only laptop acceptable to /onlylaptop/

I don't think I could give up my 27"+23" monitors for a couple 13-15 inchers.

Far less maintenance and more portable than desktops
Also this

Good luck living with the worst kind of computer in existence.

two laptops?

Me, sold my desktop for a ThinkPad T440p like a year ago. I did it because i don't give a shit about games anymore and i need to go outside regularly with my laptop, plus the 4800MQ processor is pretty powerful for me and i bet it'll suffice for a good while.

It's not like "ditching desktops" entirely though, a ThinkPad with a docking station makes using your laptop as a desktop pretty seamless. For example i'm running two monitors + headphones and other peripherals connected to the docking station so i just dock my thinkpad and i have a full working desktop.

> he doesn't just build a miniITX box to leave in his backpack with proper cooling and ventilation
> he doesn't carry portable solar panels and a generator
> he doesn't just pull out a comfy lightweight monitor/ turn on the screen projector from inside his backpack and pull out gayming peripherals from his backpack like a fucking wizard
Lapdog calculator users BTFO!

I haven't owned a desktop for 8 years desu.

The only games I play are Skyrim, TW3, NV, BF4 and Kerbal Space Program so I don't think I'll be needing to update in the near future.

I'd like to add onto this- I use it as a desktop with keyboard and monitor tho like

Thinkpads are a godsend for the deskless. I got 2 extended batteries and a HDD dock that goes in the cd tray spot with an extra 1TB drive. Plus enough ports that I can use it like a desktop when I'm at home. Only thing is it's VGA out instead of DVI but that's fine.

>moving around a lot
Bingo. Since my old ricebox my dad helped me buy and build, I went to an Inspiron 1100, a thinkpad t42, a work dell which was decent, an acer and asus netbook, a VAIO at one point, to an ipad 3 only, to a retina macbook 2015. The thinkpad was GOAT out of them all even though it was less powerful than the almighty VAIO beast and the macbook.

>he doesn't just build a miniITX box to leave in his backpack with proper cooling and ventilation

I'm actually replacing my mini-ITX build with laptops. However, my next desktop build will almost definitely be a slim form factor, small enough to put in a bag.

>Only thing is it's VGA out instead of DVI but that's fine
Depends on the docking station, most have vga + dvi + displayport

>WHat are your day to day needs and how have yo accommodated them?

Regular productivity and using virtual machines. I could do 90% of what I need on a Core2Duo machine.

It can be pretty easy to just use a laptop with modern dock options for the typical usecase

Really, if I had to do it I would just get a P70, a dock, and whatever extended battery solution .

However I use my GPU for certain applications and I much rather have a ready to go desktop connected to multiple monitors at home as opposed to a dock with mobile chipsets.

I have used an X series Thinkpad on the go with an extra battery for years now and it's perfect for me

yep
Med student here, no only did I have to move to school, I'm also going to have to relocate for residency and possibly fellowship and possibily for work.
Just waiting on the newer elitebook/thinkpad workstations to get cheap on ebay.
My plan is to just buy a cheapo monitor and use it as a desktop, and just dump the monitor out when I need to move.
Cheap, portable and I'll still have a decent amount of power with a quad-core i7 and some kind of quadro graphics.
Plus plenty of space for storage.

>I could do 90% of what I need on a Core2Duo machine
same here, no point in upgrading for now

> I felt for the meme and bought a Thinkpad T420 w/Core i5
> Then I bought an X61 w/Core 2 Duo and realized that an C2D it's enough for my necesities.

I have an HP Pavilion dektop from 2010. Gonna sell it amd make my T420 my main/desktop machine