/pcbg/ - PC Building General

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an SSD. Consider buying a large SSD for the price of an HDD + SSD, and saving 50$ next paycheck to buy an HDD

If you want help:
>View this handy guide on picking parts
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>If your part list needs a monitor, be sure to include information like response time, refresh rate, and resolution
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=VhdV2wv3jQs

CPUs:
>A8-9600 (APU) - Poverty-tier builds (Don't bother with a dGPU at this point)
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop gap between the 1200 and Ryzen 5, get a R5 1400 if you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - High FPS Gaming & Mixed uses, 1600x if you can't be bothered to overclock
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use, not just for gaming

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices way up, using an old GPU / waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
Anything below the RX 560/GTX 1050ti is garbage and not worth even considering
>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low / medium settings
>RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at high / ultra settings, supports Freesync
>1060 6GB - 1080p 60hz at high/ ultra settings, supports G-Sync
>1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 1440p 60hz at high / ultra settings
>1080 TI - 1440p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 4k 60hz at high / ultra settings

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying any RAM, you usually want to buy RAM on your Mobo's QVL.
>Ryzen CPUs benefit from high speed RAM, 3200(+) MHz is ideal

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/cJYc8K
youtube.com/watch?v=5Ey-KObDABI
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160278&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
mikescomputershop.com/product/7678828
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353084
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235056
pcpartpicker.com/list/whr8VY
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-580/3639vs3923
xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=6
youtube.com/watch?v=omvmPBSOLtg
youtube.com/watch?v=vOng3RF_q9I
youtube.com/watch?v=mIpOx8YUXuU
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zfJNBP
userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5083158
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pcpartpicker.com/list/cJYc8K
Thoughts?
I have a few HDDs stashed away I can use.
>Do you need an X370 board?
Honestly, probably not, but I wanted a board I liked the look of and had a port on the motherboard for a front panel USB 3.1 Type C port since the case can be upgraded to one through Cooler Master's accessories.

main use, besides shitposting, will be racing sims like Forza Motorsport 7, Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, and others.

I just installed the Vega 64 in my computer, but the monitor won't turn on when it's plugged into the GPU

I looked on the Vega 64 box and it says "750W PSU minimum" , my computer only has a 650W is that why the monitor won't turn on?

>V-Sync
>Freesync
>G-Sync

Someone care to explain what's up with these?
From what I've read they are supposed to reduce screen tearing, but I have no idea what is this. I have always disabled v-sync in games and never noticed any tearing. Am I retarded or what?

youtube.com/watch?v=5Ey-KObDABI

I have a 4GB windforce-cooled GTX 760. Is there any upgrade for under 200 dollars?

>V-sync is matching your fps put out by your graphics card to the refresh rate of your monitor
>G-sync is nvidia cuckshit that adds more to the price of your monitor for "better vsync"
>Freesync is free vsync software/hardware built by AMD.

Kind of correct.
VSync is latency-inducing shit (eliminates tearing at the cost of adding a minimum of 1 frame of latency guaranteed).
Gsync is Nvidia cuckshit that does kind of the same thing as Vsync (eliminates tearing) but with a lot less latency (typically much less than a single frame).
Freesync is an open standard adopted and used by AMD that does exactly the same thing as gsync, but for $300 less.

I got a fat wad of a bonus from work and Im looking to jump to 4k Sup Forums. Currently got a 27inch 1080 at 144hz, does anyone have any personal recommendations?

What is the relationship between the CPU Fan and the Power Supply? I have my CPU Fan plugged into the motherboard, but when I turn my computer on, the CPU Fan does not start.

I'm going with a Ryzen 1600x and whatever motherboard is best for a single GPU and wired networking. RAM speed. Do I need to go nuts? Is there a specific number I should shoot for, or just as high as I can?

check your motherboard's POST lights. 650W should be enough to boot your system even with the 64's power draw.

3200mhz

3200, low latency as possible
for motherboard gigabyte or asrock

Is Asrock actually good? I always kinda got the impression they were decent budget, bug Gigabyte/Asus were top tier, maybe some MSI.

4K 60hz is a bit of a stretch today even with a lot of money.

taichi is a solid board atleast, asus fucked up the launch with bad bios, which fried some cpus - though it should be fine to go with them now
i have msi board, i cant overclock with cool and quiet on, nor cant i edit c-states

also get samgsung-b die theres a list on amd reddit about the models

>ass Rocks

I figured, but I saw one for 300bux and I didnt see any cons in it but then again I dont know much about weighing the pros and cons of monitors. Ive had this one for like 4 years.Not much else to upgrade at the moment
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160278&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
This one looks good and the only cons are circumstantial and the buyer being incompetent in setting up from what I can see.

Depends on where you are. The midrange GPU market is fucked because of cryptominers. Your best bet is probably the gtx 1060 3gb though.

I wish the cryptomeme would just die desu

I thought the Ryzen auto shutdown temp was 95C? How the hell did this happen? R7 1700, L9x65 with the thicker fan (NF_A9-PWM). I left Prime95 running while I was at work. Overclocking to [email protected], P95 hasn't crashed the computer after ~10 hours of small FFTs, but hwinfo64 says the max temp is 104C.

I lucked out. I started my new build in April to get on the Ryzen meme action so I watched as the RX480/580 went from being a sub $250 card to a $330+ robbery. I ended getting a used 1060 from someone who upgraded to a 1080ti.

Looking to upgrade my CPU so that I can emulate Wii U games on Cemu better. I know they're heavily reliant on CPU, and that my current one was relatively low-end even when I got it 4 years ago.

What does Sup Forums recommend I get as a new processor? My price range is $200-300, but really reluctant to go above $250.

i7 7700k is the best for IPC but for your budget just overclock a ryzen 1600.

Could someone rec me a case that meets the following requirements?
>Has an sd card reader slot
>Has a dvd drive (or at least includes a bay for it)
>Has a side window
>Under $75
>Is compatible with the microATX B350 Gaming Pro MB

mikescomputershop.com/product/7678828

Is it worth getting 1080s now?

$659.99 CAD before tax, around $535 USD

you could get rx 580 for about 130

say goodbye to your 7nm Zen2 in 2018.
AMD confirmed they are transitioning to 12nm LP process next year, which means 7nm won't be ready until at least 2019.

>>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an SSD. Consider buying a large SSD for the price of an HDD + SSD, and saving 50$ next paycheck to buy an HDD
Again wrong, you can see that a braindead AMD Shill makes these.

There are harddrives that have up to 300Mb read speeds and 1TB+ for cheap

he would get the same performance for his emulator.

>rx 580 for about 130
what

that line has been here for past few months. also there's absolutely zero reason to spend more for "high-performance" hdds when they get completely destroyed by even the worst ssds.

Just get a Fractal Design Focus G Mini and a 5.25" card reader since it has two 5.25" bays so you can fit both in

>he missed the deal of his life
Literally only bought it just so I can sell it for over twice as much.

not that user

oh yeah i remember that. it ran out in seconds

Does anyone have any feedback on this? I'm at a loss as to why my CPU fan won't start even though everything else on my computer starts up.

it was like 10mins, but yeah if you want to win in capitalistic world you have to be fast.

>tfw you didn't get on this because you weren't sure when they were actually being released and didn't have the money to spend if it was going to be too long

Even when I'm the early bird I go home hungry.

>Buy a 128 GB SSD instead of 1TB High speed HDD goyim !
>Also ryzen is great for games goyim, just turn it up to 4K for that GPU bottleneck

I mean you could've just canceled it if it would take too long literally nothing to lose. I ordered it without thinking at all knowing no matter what it's an amazing deal.

>1TB High speed HDD
lmao you're retarded

>high speed
>HDD
Pick one.

The only solid state HDDs can beat out is SD cards and that doesn't say much

>solid state HDDs

Didn't even think of that desu, but that's because I've never used Amazon before so I just assumed it was like eBay where if you order from there it's a nightmare to cancel. I could have bought a few of those and flipped them for 3x the price to my brother's coworkers absolutely no sweat.

Amazon is really nice with cancel/returns/refunds. Most of the time you don't even have to give a reason and when you do even things like "I don't like it" is enough. Also I'm pretty sure this was one per household limit.

>intel shill loves wd blacked
Pottery.

Are the video card prices actually going down? The online shop I check seems to have cheaper 1080s as of 2-3 days ago.
Did the miners finally get fucked?

I'll have to keep that in mind for next time. I actually have to buy some things off Amazon so I hope I have a better time with them than I do with eBay.

>one per household limit

I could have f-flipped one of them then ;_;

Following up on this. I just tried connecting the CPU Fan to the chassis fan slot on the MoBo instead, but still nothing. I refuse to believe that the fan itself is faulty because I was getting a response from it yesterday when I was having a separate issue on startup and the thing's brand freaking new out of the box.

How likely is it I can sell someone a build like this?

they will probably cancel it

I don't think that's legal. As far as I know they're obliged to sell it for that price. Keep in mind this is Europe not US, we actually have laws protecting customers.

>intel

>i3

Shut up guys, it's what I have lying around the house

Is there a better case under $40? 3 fans would be nice, must fit a 159mm CPU cooler (212 EVO) and a 290mm GPU.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353084

>tfw almost bought one
>already have a 1080ti and an HD7850
I guess I could have flipped it.

you need to run ddu then install the newest amd driver if it was a gpu upgrade.

Online and instore both differ, but the general consensus is that either can cancel by blaming a (((glitch))). Though instore it's generally whatever the price is that it scans at because irl it's too easy to swap two prices around and claim it was like that when you got there.
Unless those GPUs were supposed to be listed at like £1000 each then I don't think there's any danger of them cancelling the orders.

>Make list on pcpartpicker
>Part is listed for sale at price
>Click buy
>This item is currently out of stock
>Every
>Single
>Time

What meme is this?

>$30 after rebate
>5 fans included
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235056

Yeah I think if there were to cancel them they would've done that already. I mean what's the point in delaying it's only going to make lucky buyers more angry and more willing to argue refund or something.

party in the house tonight

wew

not USD btw

Hello.
pcpartpicker.com/list/whr8VY
So, i have this build, i already have a 650W PSU, i have an SSD and HDD.
I want it for gaming and want to overclock.

Are those good picks? Are there some better alternatives? Enlighten me, im willing to listen to any suggestions.

Also, i should mention, 1080p gaming, not into any of those 4k shenanigans....
Something that will be able to handle any game smoothly, without ever dipping below 60fps

>3gb gpu
>2017
Just no

Nice

if you need mATX, get the MSI mortar over the Gaming Pro. Better feature-set.
screw the 3GB 1060. You need 4 GB minimum for modern gaming. Go for either a:
1050Ti
1060 6GB
RX 570
RX 580

>but prices are still high!
So. It's been months and the prices on Polaris are finally starting to come down.

Get the 6GB version. You can also mark purchased parts as alresdy bought on pcpartpicker.

I dont really want an 1050Ti, im not saying its bad by any means, just dont think it will be that good in a long run...
So i guess i could throw in another 50 dollars for 6GB version... That wouldnt be that bad..

How are the RX 570/580? Never seen one, dont have any experience with them, how are they?

Also, im assuming 650W is more than enough for that build, even while overclocking right?

>5 fucking fans

650w is fine for almost all single card builds. 570 and 580 are fine but the limiting factor is price.

>How are the RX 570/580? Never seen one, dont have any experience with them, how are they?
The 580 is better than the 1060 period, but the 570 puts up a good fight.
As a bonus, the AMD GPUs support freesync, and freesync monitors are cheap compared to nvidia G-sync monitors

I see the 580 is even more expensive that the 1060, and not by a small amount, from what ive seen the performance is similiar, is it really worth it?

Going from this : gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-580/3639vs3923

>Just moved crappy build to this case

xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=6

Looks alright and has good airflow, biggest issue is the mobo standoffs, HDDs and PCI slot cards were kind of a bitch to get installed properly. Also, I removed all the LED shit.

What are all the prongs on the io shield? One of them is getting in the way of my HDMI slot. Is it supposed to be like that?

If I order a product with a rebate going on, and the rebate ends while it's in transit, can I still claim it?

MSRP of the 580 is $200 for the 4 gb and like 250 for the 8gb version. The problem with inflated prices is they happen to be fantastic cards for cryptomining. MSRP on the 570 btw is $170. The price problem now isn't AMD's fault retailers can't keep them instock because miners buy them in bulk. increased demand that outstrips supply means higher prices. The 570 is on equal footing with the 1060 anyways
youtube.com/watch?v=omvmPBSOLtg
youtube.com/watch?v=vOng3RF_q9I
youtube.com/watch?v=mIpOx8YUXuU

I think they're to hold the connectors and shield together. It's not supposed to be in your HDMI port.

Read the terms of the rebate.
Usually you have a month or so.

plenty of tards out there, one will eventually bite if you price it reasonably.

I think it says 90 days, either way I'm sure it'll make it.

Interesting..
Well, im not planning on buying the pc now, certainly not this year, so the prices might drop from all the cryptofag bullshit...
Ill keep that in mind, thanks

What should I do then?

also, the best performing AMD cars are made by Sapphire. Sapphire only does AMD Graphics cards.
Pic related. special edition Sappire Nitro RX 580 8GB

should I get an RX 580 for 365CAD , or are polaris prices likely to return to normal before the end of the year?

no one knows for sure. but the past few days have seen price drops on polaris cards and they've seemed to stay in stock

Forgot to add: this is what I currently own. ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zfJNBP

I have ~400CAD to spend on an upgrade, would getting the 580 or a 1600+ new mobo be the better upgrade? I want to get either an AMD CPU or Ryzen for the Quake code.

Also, how do the Xeon CPU's fare?
I have one in my PC right now, an Xeon 5450, and is pretty good, how do the Xeons perform in comparison to the I5/7 or ryzens?

Gets shredded by modern CPUs from what I could find. If you're going intel, you're better off waiting for their 6c mainstream chip.

You will need a new mobo and RAM regardless of if you go intel or AMD. Ryzen is out now, and its main advantage is that it is out now and the socket will be getting long term support. Meanwhile pretty much every intel release requires a new chipset.

do not bother with amd if you don't have a freesync monitor. even then you shouldn't get rx 580 if it costs $30 or more than gtx 1060.

The difference is zero, cheapest in-stock 6gb 1060 I could find was also 365CAD.

The quake code is something that I normally would have paid 44CAD for, but it's bundled with AMD GPUs from this retailer.

I mean, this is my shitty PC
userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5083158
Its starting to struggle, but hey, it still manages to play games like Witcher 3 or For Honor on medium settings with almost stable 60fps...