Why are schools still requiring overpriced outdated calculators, Sup Forums? Some of my ideas for a modern calculator

Why are schools still requiring overpriced outdated calculators, Sup Forums? Some of my ideas for a modern calculator

>risc-v cpu
>320x240 3" color epaper display
>different interchangeable keypads like on the ti-nspire series
>32MiB of ram
>sd card slot
>no firmware or software signing to allow people to run whatever they what
>hardware designs, os and cas source code under cc0 license

Other urls found in this thread:

numworks.com/
ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/238/23843.html
youtu.be/zoGl8-Wc-L0
youtube.com/watch?v=zoGl8-Wc-L0
mic.com/articles/125829/your-old-texas-instruments-graphing-calculator-still-costs-a-fortune-heres-why
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It should also have a touch screen and an app store

Why? Are you being ironic. I any networking besides usb would be outside of the scope of a calculator

and a sim-card slot with speakers, headphone jack would be preferrable

then it would be like a phone

no wait...

numworks.com/

You're looking for an NSpire CX CAS. Engineers love them.

>110 in 1996
>110 in 2017
So they're now much cheaper

I don't even know why high schools use graphing calculators at all. All of the uses we had were easily computable by hand. In fact I think the entire pre-university math curriculum should be calculator free.

>basic smartphone can be had for $20
Now all we need is a competent graphing calculator app comparable to what TI's stuff can do.

Graphics calculators are for people too stupid to know how functions work.

Or people who need to work with functions complex enough that they're hard to visualize properly. You do know people aren't just using these things to graph y=5/x+1, right?

People who work with complex functions don't answer exam questions beginning "DRAW DA GRAF 4 F'X="

You know, like the ones you need to answer.

You realize that a lot of schools are offering college/university level math to high school kids as well right? The schools as well can only invest money for the student body as a whole when it comes to academics. So if one classroom gets it, so do the rest.

>3" color epaper display
not available, and the bastards who own the company are just sitting on their lazy asses

>different interchangeable keypads like on the ti-nspire series
not a bad idea, and it's been done before
>hardware designs, os and cas source code under cc0 license
why would anyone sell this? they wouldn't be able to make much money off it

that's technically true when adjusted for inflation

People use them to see how functions are shaped, where they cross, where local minima and maxima will be, and so forth. There are so many uses for these calculators beyond cheating on "draw the graph of f(x)" test questions.

Graphics calculators also do so much better than normal calculators at showing history so you can see if you made a mistake, and you can write useful small programs on them.

>32MiB of ram
Isn't that just way too little to be economically viable?

>People use them to see how functions are shaped, there they cross, where local minima and maxima will be, and so forth
lol

>People use them to see how functions are shaped
People should learn how to derive shape from the function, otherwise why turn up to class? Go flip burgers.

>there they cross
Cross what? Each other? Set them as equal. Y=0? Set them as equal to zero. Not hard stuff.

>where local minima and maxima will be
This is why calculus exists.

Yeah, OK, give them to 12yo's, and then take them away again when they turn 13. They're a great teacher's aid in the same way that a multiplication table is a great teacher's aid.

Why are you trying to make my life harder?

Yes, god bless inflation

use your fucking phone

Touch creek calcs are retarded. All I used mine for was playing super Mario and Tetris. Furthermore superseding them with color display screens is nonsensical. The best math education I ever got was the stuff where I didn't have calc access (in Asia)

>color display screens is nonsensical
How will you keep track of your curves without color?

It is because Texas Instruments have a near-monopoly in the calculator market and have massive lobbying in US Education.

Casio is a nobody in North America and HP only deals with professionals (Engineers and scientist) .

Higher DPI, I guess color is useful in some regards but I found it was only my standard math teacher who tended to use it, ap didn't give a shit about using calculators most of the time. Now in years 10 and 11 I'm willing to bet most people use it for games. Or they use there fucking byo computers while looking at their smart boards. So much wasted technology that doesn't improve learning.

>use it for games
Why wouldn't they just use their phones lol

They use their laptops instead. I remember playing portal on the school provided macbooks. God those things were pieces of shit. Even taking care of mine the fan got fucked, keys fell of and the back melted and warped. I would have preferred the money be spent on air-conditioning or something like that.

Literally because it's a racket.

TI says, "force students to use these calculators, and we'll pay you money" and then turns around and charges $100+ per calculator to students who require them to complete their studies for memepapers.

Our entire society is sick and rotten to the core with parasites like this.

its fucking retarded

hp 50g just works

ti-83/83+/84 are all can be modded to run homebrew software.

Tfw I play Doom on my calc.
ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/238/23843.html

It's good defense against all the jamals of the world because the shell makes it look like a sleeper.

>headphone jack
Whoa now. Slow your row there, Mr. Feature Creep.

lmao you're probably one of those pure math fags. If you can visualize some of shit you start seeing even in like calc ii it's just because your autism is giving you a shitty super power.

Dunno about schools but I used my phone in uni just fine.

youtu.be/zoGl8-Wc-L0
> inb4 lgr

> MiB

Holy shit...I didn't know my fx-7000G was the first.

>to allow people to run whatever they what
because you would never be allowed to use it on a test.
The ti line is well known and documented. This way they know if youre using a ti-84 or a ti-89 in math 101. With a ti-89, you woulnd have to learn a damn thing. There is a literal "solve this shit for me" button that works 90% of the time.

> TI-83 Plus
> Outdated

...can we just delete this thread? op doesn't into maths.

The parents pay it for the kids. Only need is the need to milk the parents.

>calculators
Fuck off engineer scum

Hp 50g has better functionality and is cheaper

TI is the brainlet calculator. Sorry anons but RPN or bust.

>tfw all of the approved calculators in universities and proctors contain nonfree software
>tfw the botnet wants me to fail

50G is the best.

>Why are schools still requiring overpriced outdated calculators
youtube.com/watch?v=zoGl8-Wc-L0

My TI-84 Plus C still works fine, just need to find a charger. Plays Pokemon, might install Doom.

Considering the size and price of modern phones, why not shove a gigabyte of ram in there?

Casio is actually well known in the US, but only for the shitty basic calculators. I doubt most people know they make graphing calculators.

I've actually seen a decent amount of Casio graphing calculators in my high school and on people.

Except no one really needs a graphing calculator in 2017. I could see engineers and scientists using them because they have a comfier interface for inputting expressions versus a regular computer keyboard but that's it. Schools could just buy a bunch of Chromebooks, install whatever Linux distro on them, and have students use Octave and/or Python to calculate and graph things when they really need to.

>Why are schools still requiring overpriced outdated calculators, Sup Forums?
because TI lobbied the shit out of it

tf would you need a gig of ram for in a calculator

My school used to let us use our calculator in class on our phones. Their philosophy is if you're gonna cheat you're only cheating yourself. I don't think anyone cheated in that maths class.

>I don't think anyone cheated in that maths class
lmao fucking nerds

I used Wolfram Alpha to go maximum cheat mode on my exams :v)

Because you attend a shit university.
I study Physics and have never needed to use a calculator for an exam after two years of study.
All computation is done using a computer with whatever programming language i want to use.

Playing GBC games.

tf do you need a gig of ram for gameboy games

Because why not? Also there's that calculator port of Doom.

tf do you need a gig of ram for doom

for real? makes no sense. school is 100% different now that all the kids have their own laptops. Yet they still use these shitculators?? The only thing these devices are remotely useful for is playing sideloaded games. As far as learning functions goes, they get in the way of education. Just let the kids use their pc's for graphing!
It's a racket. I guarantee it.

>This is why calculus exists.
It's a fucking learning tool to help students visualise things easier, you mong. Go outside.

Muh fps
It isn't like 1GB of modern phone RAM is more expensive to manufacture than 32MiB of calculator RAM.

Could need one in the near futur, which one should I get?I hear the ti-89 was good but it's like 10yo.

>phone RAM
>calculator RAM
kys

Different form factors, right? Give me one reason to use 32MiB over 1GB?

>t. brainlet
for fuck sake open up your calculator, look a t the data sheets of the stuff you encounter and the datasheet of a lddr3 (or whatever the fuck you call "phone ram") and then fucking kys

I'll do this, thanks. Always looking to further my knowledge.

Why would you even need a dedicated calculator anymore? Any smartphone with wolfram alpha will do it faster and easier

You can't bring your phone on exam.

The vast majority of high schoolers in the US have little understanding of basic algebra and need a four function calculator to do operations like addition or division. Graphing calculators are wasted on such people, they need more practice doing simple math with pencil and paper. Students get pushed into progressively higher levels of math classes without really understanding the prerequisites. When a college freshman enrolls in an algebra course, it means his high school math courses were a waste of time.

So calculators are exclusively for students and then you just use mathematica once you graduate

What a worthless system

Just get an HP 50g and call it a day.

Holy shit, is this still used?

I used one back in 2001.

Yup, TI's been selling the TI-83 for decades
mic.com/articles/125829/your-old-texas-instruments-graphing-calculator-still-costs-a-fortune-heres-why

My school required me to buy a TI-84 Plus Ce-T. It's overpriced, the screen is shit and the ram is really low

The app you're looking for is literally just called Graphing Calculator. This shit even does 3D graphing

My god, this is insane!

It's a calculator. And it isn't a total piece of shit

While TI's calculator shakedowns is indefensible, allowing calculator apps to take over from dedicated calculators is retarded. It's an open invitation for giant cheating scandals. Also, something tells me that such a move would allow Apple, Google, Samsung or some other megacorp to simply take TI's place, which I suspect is not an improvement at all.

At my high school and college (this is a fucking leaf-land, four fucking flower section), we just used scientific calculator, which are only 15-30 maplebucks. If the textbook as for graphing calculator, it was provided for us by the school only at the school. This is reasonable compromise; why doesn't anybody else do this?

because youre too stupid to buy a $10 scientific calculator

I'm still using TI-83 at UNI, it's now officially two decades old. Works great and does pretty much everything I've needed it to do. Batteries last years.
I even programmed a shitty Tetris for it.

I wish my school required such a calculator

Instead they even disallowed calculators for university exams

what the fuck

I use one in school. It's a great calculator.

"College level" math is highschool level math that should have been taught to all students with proper schooling.

But due to shitty schooling system and shitty people in general, that standard lowers itself to the lowest common denomination.

Maybe such memes are true in the US, where education is business. I've never been forced to buy a piece of tech, just pic related to 20€ because it's an handy calculator from time to time.

You fucking stupid OP? The whole point of calculators is: EXTREMELY SPECIFIC application (yeah you guessed it faggot - calculation), EXTREMELY LOW power usage (custom ASICs), EXTREMELY LONG usage.
Dont fuck up the one device that hasnt yet been ruined by IoT faggost, PLEASE.

>disallowed calculators for university exams
based uni, calculator usage during exam is a crutch, or the person who made the exam is stupid (calculations shouldn't be too complicated, the process should)
trust them, it's better in the long run

I have Dyscalculia but didn't know, I thought that sucking at calculations was normal

Even my university for calculus I forbids every calculators, because what's the point of learning calculus if a calculator does it for you (with the added bonus that without doing things yourself you'll never actually learn a think, just a brainless monkey who types in his calc)

Inflation is a bitch

Yep

To avoid cheating? god damn go back to kidnergarten.

Get a casio calculator for 5$.
Or run mathcad on your thinkpad.
Will they kick you outta the class for not having it or what?

because of the lobbying

People spend $1k for shit math software like Maple for school work, a graphing calculator does the same thing Maple does except you can hold it in your hand while your working on your math problem.

OP, we have this stupid thread like every month or so. If you dont want a graphing calculator, then dont buy one. The reason its high priced is the software. People charge money for software, even if its stupid software anyone could make, sorry if that hurts your feelings

>draw a simple f(x)=x^2+4 graph
>try to move around to see other parts of the graph
>calculator struggles to render
You're telling me they couldn't do any better for ~$100?

>(calculations shouldn't be too complicated, the process should)
In Russian uni to pass physics exam you're supposed to solve maxwell equation on paper writhing down every formula and every simplification but you're allowed to use a calculator to divide/multiply or calculate square/cubic root.

The Semester project for theory of calculation of gas turbine machines you are given a set of intake parameters and given the machine properties and you're supposed to calculate the thrust, fuel consumption and all the mathematical steps you took to do that.
In the same time you can do it however you like, in mathcad or just write it down on paper with a pen, doesnt matter.

I would calculate it myself and draw it instead.

desmos is pretty good.