How good is a tiling manager for average joe? Even if there is no use do you think everyone should use Tiling Managers?

How good is a tiling manager for average joe? Even if there is no use do you think everyone should use Tiling Managers?

Other urls found in this thread:

fontawesome.io/cheatsheet/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I honestly see no productivity gains over Unity

meh i run i3 on rpi just because its lightweight, on my laptop i run plasma

Is there any speed difference?

If you use browsers, terminals, media players, fullscreen games, and not much else for GUI stuff, it's worth it. If your workflow involves lots of GUI stuff that likes to set its own window size or position, no.

t. Sway on laptop, GNOME on desktop

Not much point in my opinion. I used awesome wm for a while and its pretty good but I can do the same with MATE. I set keybindings for tiling window left and right sides and it looks much better.

PSA: DONT STEP INTO THE "UUUH YOU NEED TO HAVE A FULLY RICED UP ARCH MACHINE IN ORDER TO BE A GOOD ELITIST ON Sup Forums"-RABBIT HOLE

Use whatever you find appealing and fun.

A tiling manager doesn't make you more productive if you're not productive from the beginning.

I've used a bunch of window managers as well as dekstop environments. I honestly think most window managers aren't any better than a desktop environment such as cinnamon.

xrandr --scale .6x.6 is pretty neat, it zooms the screen in so that i have 547x308 resolution on a 1366x768 laptop. honestly i've found the smaller screen helps with focus, reading and writing concentration in particular. it makes the system seem more retro and simple to me, which i like.

and dwm makes navigating it all seamless. hardly need to use a mouse and i have a script in the startup that disables the touch pad so it doesn't fuck my typing up.

the coolest thing is dmenu and how easy it is to throw programs in there. so i can hit alt+d and have access to launching any program + the shell scripts i've written

also to other dwm users, something that i found pretty darn useful as far as keyboard configs go was setting my f1-f6 keys to switch between the respective tags. also if you're wondering how i got my transparent terminal: xcompmgr

Only benefit is lower ram consumption. It's significant.
But if you're using a laptop, from the point of productivity there's not so much benefit. You can rice terminals and use custom file managers in any environment AND you have the added benefit that you can use your mouse and your keyboard for many things.

I've tried to use i3, but it's almost the same as using, say, MATE. If i want an app, in MATE i press windows key and type the name. In i3 i press win+d, which is a bit harder.

App shortcuts can be set up in a classic DE...
I mean ... i really don't see any benefits for productivity which is what they're advertised for...

no moving windows / resizing windows with the mouse

programs open up in the ecosystem perfectly aligned with eachother and repairs itself when you close one. constant use of the screen without having to micromanage the windows with a mouse is incredibly helpful for quick fast keyboard tasks navigating your files and system.

How did Solaris ever catch on?

It's hideous.

Hi is this the loli thread?

Depends on the age. I think everyone should go through a ricing phase just for the learning experience.

>A tiling manager doesn't make you more productive if you're not productive from the beginning.
S-shut up!

This is so dumb. Giving up screen space for "focus", on an already meme resolution. There's no way you do any actual work.

>In i3 i press win+d

That's dmenu which has nothing to do with i3. You pointed out a bunch of shit, and nothing about it's actual abilities as a tiling window manager. If you don't need it, that's fine, but your review is worthless.

They're a godsend for tiny screens but just rice for anything bigger.

Do you enjoy dragging the mouse around like a barbarian or would you prefer the computer to automatically arrange windows like it should?

do SEO work and bump out 3 articles a day usually

On a laptop, who needs tiling windows when the screen is already small and all the windows will be in full screen already?

So you're basically a blogger?

I don't ever full screen anything, it just saves me from alt-tabbing so much.

the screen space isn't that small when you tile because theres no window decorations.

can still comfortably fit three windows with the positioning of OP. except mine has no border space in between the windows because thats just a personal aesthetic taste

Stacked/tabbed modes are useful for this. Can have two windows tiled side by side, each window being a container for other windows you can flip through. This allows you to have different combinations of 3+ windows open at the same time.

well you said i don't do work, i do. i write content for myself and my sites.

dwm with that resolution helps focus on keeping the computer a simple machine with a simple task, in my purpose, a typewriter. also plenty of scripts that help me fetch content, resources, etc. to streamline the process. that's why i post on tech.

get it? is that OK with you

No one should use tiling meme.
It harms productivity etc

It's OK with me, but it's stupid as hell.

Do you use the keyboard to run your DE in any other way? If not, then you don't need a tiling WM. If yes, well then ... you get the gist...

Here are my decorations. There are basically none since tabs are in line with the window buttons. The only thing taking up unnecessary space is the status bar, and it can be hidden, although i don't mind it that much.

how come? whats so great about high resolution? everythings so big and distracting. if anything low resolution is more pure, it's like the opposite of ADHD generation with tweetdeck, discord and faceberg open and demanding attention. also i don't need to wear my glasses to see the screen when the resolution is lowered! neat huh?

>i don't need to wear my glasses

You should have pointed out you're genetically inferior earlier, and this could have all been avoided.

Yes. That would be a benefit. Although it's not a huge one.

I mostly just use tiling to throw windows around easier.

>re the decorations
take another screenshot with this layout and you'll see what i was trying to say

>How good is a tiling manager for average joe?

Not good at all

>Even if there is no use do you think everyone should use Tiling Managers?

Of course not.

So you want to work with N windows at once.

Stacking WM
>move hands out of keyboard to the mouse
>move cursor to titlebar
>drag window somewhere
>move cursor to window edge
>resize window
>repeat N times
>elapsed time: 10s+

Tiling WM:
>done automatically
>elapsed time: 0.001s

Which is more productive?

>He didn't burn his eyes out as a kid on technology at night

WHAT A LOSER!! HAHAHA

>burn your eyes out meme

Eyelets really believe this.

I'm not trying to be rude, but i really don't see what's your point.

Stacking WM
>not autism
Tiling WM
>autism

I'd rather be unproductive than an autist.

Well, it is for me on a laptop. I have my editor on the left with some stacked terminals and browser/pdf on the right stacked. I often need some combination of these open at the same time, so it's very helpful.

Do you mind posting a(n anonymity respecting) screenshot?

I don't really need one because I use two screens, and if I need to see more than two windows at once, which does happen quite often, I just tile them manually to whatever size suits me best because Windows window resizing JUST WERKS.

Sorry - meant that for you:

> A tiling manager doesn't make you more productive if you're not productive from the beginning.

I personally couldn't handle TWMs, keybindings are too clusterfucky for me and most programs don't scale well.
>TWMs are better for small screens!
no they aren't, they're shit at it as a matter of fact. Use Xfwm or OpenBox.

>fullscreen games
every tiling manager i've tried was not usable for gaming.

thanks.

do you see yourself using such a layout often? find it useful?

well with tiling you work inside those kind of layouts, and the window decorations im talking about are shown there in the chromium, for window control like closing, maximizing etc. it's entirely useless.

The problem with tiling window managers is that they all seem to be designed for wankers who think everything should be a hassle to use. I want a tiling window manager that's easy to use and intuitive without having to read manpages and stuff like that.

Something like xfwm4, but tiling.

>all seem to be designed for wankers who think everything should be a hassle to use

You just described linux in a nutshell.

No. I really don't see myself using that kind of layout. Only time i need a side by side content is when i'm translating something, but for that, i "steal" my mom's screen and i just plug it in since my laptop is just 15" and it's really not useful to have two texts open side by side on such a small screen.

Web content is always one tab at the time. So, no, for my use it's absolutely useless. It's a cool gimmick of sorts, to me, but of no use.

There are themes you can install that completely remove window decorations so that's neat i guess.

Not really production inducing having entertainment taking more space than work, eh? :D

Didn't have anything open on the laptop atm so I opened some placeholder shit for the screenshot :)

>stackingwm
>one hand on keyboard other at mouse
>right click on free space
>drag to move
>release
>drag window

resize by selecting resize and drawing a new window
time: tiling meme
just press cmd+ctrl+alt+shift+0+5+3

>typing
>one hand on keyboard, other hand on keyboard
>need to resize windows
>fuck

>not using DWM in a windows 10-esque manner where the windows arrange automatically
what are you? a pleb?

>not having a mechanical watch
>not having 300$ headphones
>not having a virtual loli
>not having a ryzen cpu
>not having a memechanical
>not having a thinkpad

ye kid keep dreaming, you wont enter our private discord just because you install i3gaps

cwm is like a non-autistic version of the rio wm and tiling wm's in general

shame that the only version that seems to receive updates is the openbsd one (as they're the ones who develop it)

>How good is a tiling manager for average joe?
Pretty fucking useless and it just makes the computer harder to use by making you learn worthless keyboard shortcuts. In the time you spent dicking around with that you could've had XFCE or KDE up and running with several programs open to do real work.

>Even if there is no use do you think everyone should use Tiling Managers?
Fuck no. Only losers from plebbit use that shit.

spent around a second learning three intuitive shortcuts on i3 and saving a lot more time resizing, moving and placing windows than on stacking wm.

Actually you don't need fancy stuff if you want to keep a good navigation and organized clean GUI.

Usually i've:

- Multiple-desktops / monitors
- Customized Keyboard Shortcuts
- Xfce
- Terminal (guake) using tmux | screen
- Use gnome-do or any app launcher

>makes the computer harder to use by making you learn worthless keyboard shortcuts.
If it's a significant hurdle for you to remember a handful of keyboard shortcuts maybe you shouldn't be using computers.

heres your reply

I absolutely love them (I use i3). They are perfect for me but I wouldn't say they are for everyone. Just like anything it is all personal taste and how you work. If your work flow revolves around the keyboard and you don't like using mice then they are the absolute best thing ever.

I play video games just fine on awesome wm. In fact, switching between tags doesn't affect the game. When you alt-tab on Windows the game freezes for 10-20seconds.

Windows babies that aren't real hackers getting mad ITT

Thats because the windows are always staying open within a "tag". the tiling manager is basically extending your monitor invisibly around you in a coat that is always hugging you of your GUIS as you cycle through them

I've installed i3wm recently and it's really good. I'd like to configure it a bit, for example these borders are bothering me.

nice colors. do you have any issues where text doesn't display because it ends up blue on blue or white on white? I've tried setting up a colorscheme with 2 primary colors and 1 or 2 highlight colors for comments/errors etc but always run into that issue of text disappearing in certain programs

Pls tell more about this

Tiling managers are better if you work with a lot of windows open and prefer to use the keyboard instead of the mouse.

i3 is by far the best WM I've used for full-screen gay mens. Native Loonicks and Wine games are much better behaved in i3 (talking about switching between windows) than floating WMs or even Micr*soft W*ndows itself.

> Typing with both hands
> Need to resize or move windows
> Move hand to mouse
> Repeat variations of this 100 times a day
> Eventually get RSI
> Have to give up career
> Think of tiling users effortlessly spawning and manipulating windows as I kick the chair from my feet and finally end my suffering

Th-thanks, floating WMs.

>typing with both hands
That's how you get rsi anyway

> Having a terminal with scrollback is bloat
st is such a joke

on my machine with i3 steam games are resizing on their own and after some time they just freeze my system completely so i can't even halt x session and have to reboot. maybe it has something to do with dual head, but it wasn't the case when i used plasma.

I've had the exact reverse. Unity, KDE, et al wouldn't handle full-screen games (especially Wine) well. Especially ones that changed the resolution on startup and then didn't change it back.

i3 says balls to all of that and doesn't let games take over the desktop like that. I can start a Steam game up, it goes full screen and then I move it to its own workspace where it doesn't shit anything else up. I have dual head, too, and it Works For Me™.

Maybe I just got lucky with the games I happen to play.

I like i3, I use it on my machine where I run and plan my dungeons and dragons games, the different work spaces and no windows covering others makes navigation and looking up information not even an issue anymore

>Awesome wm
press mod4 and drag and corner wherever you want
time: < 1 ms

That looks so nice. How did you make your status bar look like that, can you share your wisdom please?

There's tiling function in xfce4 called snap

Thanks. py3status. It's a wrapper for i3status that adds a lot of new modules, and features like being able to group modules in a container, have modules respond to mouse clicks, etc. You just need to install it, add one line in your i3 conf, and that's it. You use your existing i3status conf to configure it.

The icons are from the FontAwesome icon package. Get the package and copy and paste whatever ones you want to use from here.

fontawesome.io/cheatsheet/

>Micr*soft W*ndows
Who?

Is that you user?