Why is this thing so popular again? It seems everyone is trying to do everything in JavaScript nowadays...

Why is this thing so popular again? It seems everyone is trying to do everything in JavaScript nowadays. I wouldn't even be surprised to see a variant of Linux rewritten in JavaScript nowadays.

Inspired by this thread (Upterm, a terminal emulator made in Electron)

Other urls found in this thread:

cs.stanford.edu/people/karpathy/convnetjs/
github.com/kongoon/js-aruco
node-os.com/
espruino.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Microsoft is pushing this shit and nodejs allowed dozens of braindead webdevs to fill engineer roles.

tl;dr Software industry is ruined

because computer scientist found that is more elegant and efficient than python, runs everywhere and is less autistic than lisp or haskell .

cs.stanford.edu/people/karpathy/convnetjs/
github.com/kongoon/js-aruco

Because it lets you run programs on various operating systems without installing anything.

ie: same reasons Java and Flash were popular, but Javascript is less shit and makes it even easier to bypass the IT department.

>more elegant
no

yes it is, python syntax is bullshit, people ends using numpy (fucking matlab/octave inside python) cuz python is horrible and slow by itself, javascript feels a lot like a lisp without tons of stupid parentheses.

Not necessarily "a variant of Linux", depending on your definition of variant, but there's node-os.com/

It was only a matter of time().

I own a couple websites. But I'm not really sure what i'd need javascript for besides image galleries and cookie warnings.

actually exists in the firmware world its called espruino espruino.com/

and its so cool because you have a real time kernel dedicated to parse JS its so lit to use setInterval instead timing interruptions for example, the only trade off is ram ,javascript primitive types are a little bit heavier than native ones.

thats because you dont know what JS is.

thank you for your input

easy, fast, it just werks. gtfo grandpa.

>easy
Is not, actually is so underrated by normalfags and thats the reason why has been seen as a toy language and is full of shitty coders who thinks is easy.

jPortable anyone?

Same as MongoDB. When node popped up, they made some outrageous claims about performance regarding node servers and their async IO, so all the cool kids started using it.

Yeah, I'm sure Karpathy trains his real neural nets in his JS babbie implementation meant to run in browsers.

>meant to run in browsers.
runs also on node.js very well

Interpreted toy example script vs optimized and compiled code that runs on your GPU or at least makes use of all your cores and CPU instruction sets

>implying all aplicatios requires high learning times
>some people works on reinforced learning and doesn't need to train against a fixed dataset batch
>implying you will do a big data project in your own computers instead to use a dedicated service for that

Now that's just gross.

well, for a scripting language it's pretty cool
as a web server it's better than php