twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Your point?

andalusi arabic was the best arabic dialect

>learn Modern Standard Arabic
>no one speaks it
>learn a dialect
>other """Arabic""" speakers don't understand it
WAKE ME UP

It's alright, man. In reality we understand you, but you're just really speaking very silly. In a way, we don't want to offend you.

>Urdu and Hindu are separate languages, but Arabic is a single language
>we """understand""" you

Ok ok ok, there are some major discrepancies, different terminologies and different ways of calling someone a "son of a bitch." If you want to learn them all, tops off to you. If you're doing it for the imminent Caliphate, well, I have nothing to say. I'll go back to my cookie now.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_politics
We still don't have a fixed and agreed upon definition of where a language ends and a dialect begins, there's an interesting quote that goes "A language is a dialect with an army and navy"

Cypriot arabic??????

Why in the hell is a Pharaoh learning arabic in the first place?

>maghrebis still haven't made Berber the only official language
>Egyptians still haven't made Coptic the only official language
>Levantines still haven't made Aramaic the only official language
top kuck

>US
>no official language

Do not throw stones, thou of glass building.

JUST ARABIZE MY CULTURE UP

States have official languages m8

>Iraq and Syria are literally Lithuania

Fucking Rashaidas mudding up based Christian Eritrea. Go back to your country sandniggers, we're doing fine with the ethnic muslims already.

You should know that a language is a sum of dialects

Thing is it takes like 1 week or so in a country to learn a new dialect. I can understand all dialects from here to Egypt, I just never hung around Maghribis. Give me a week in their country and i'll understand it. It's harder for an Italian to understand Spanish for example. Plus, if worst comes to worst we have fus7a.

I would like to say, thanks to the internet, I doubt dialects will continue to change, Arabs are communicating with each other all over the world, so it's easier and easier to understand/learn from one another now. The chances of the Arabic dialects diverging even more is extremely slim.

>Arabic is a minority language in Bahrain

WTF I thought the egyptian one was the most widely used/understood due to their media
have I been memed

SHUSH

>Urdu and Hindu are separate languages,
[spoiler]they're not[/spoiler]

>50(fifty)% South Asians

No you are right, almost any non-westernized Arab can fully understands masri, speaking it is a different thing. However there are more and more movies/tv shows set in the gulf that are being exported to other Arab countries. (A good chunk of our movies/tvshows are religious, so we use fus7a in them instead though. Look at the TV show 3umar)

ZIP

>Arabic_Dialects.svg.png
w8 kurds speaks North Mesopotamian?

Were the arabic caliphate a mistake? So many languages wiped out in favor of 1.

We did a real good job at drawing up those borders guys.

that's a pretty interesting situation for a language to be in, thanks. English is basically perfectly intelligible in any English speaking country

Why are there so many countries in the Levant when there should just be one?

>tunisian accent is in algeria
>algerian accent is in morrocos and tunisia
>morrocos accent is in algeria
>libyan accent is in tunisia and algeria
This triggers my autism

Dialects should be culled, and the standard enforced as regular speech.

Except with some changes, like using g instead of j (one of the few things Egyptians did right by not letting the g shift into j like everywhere else)

You can say that for most regional powers in history. English killed languages, Latin killed languages, Chinese killed languages, Aramaic killed Akkadian, Akkadian eventually killed Sumerian, etc etc

>these are all the same language
>serbian, croatian, Bosniak and Montenegrin are all separate languages

They're two different standards for the Hindustani language, to be exact.

>Judeo arabic
what is this 1500? fuck off retards

The different dialects of Arabic have been drifting apart for a thousand years now, compared to those of English who've only been separated for 300 years of so. Soon enough, British children will have to learn the American at school, because it'll be too different from the British language they'll be speaking. Same for Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders. English'll go the way of Latin.

t. Nigger

can arabs from two opposite points of that map understand each other 100%?

not even 30%

A Yemeni and an Algerian walk into a mosque...

Why is it still called the same language then?

Why not East/West/Arabic etc

>muh language of religion
it's basically latin 2.0

>muh arab identity
Arabs learn Modern Standard Arabic to communicate with each other

>arab in faroe islands

what the hell hahahahaha

levantine arabic is the only most understandable arabic desu

its an invasion of europe by muslimites

I'm Faroese

Thinking about learning Arabic

Politics, mostly.

If, say, a wave of regional nationalism was to spread through the Arab world, each country could very well change the name of its dialect of Arabic to X-ian Language, say it's completely different to other Arabian Languages, make it the official language and start using it exclusively, casting Standard Arabic aside, like Europe did with Latin.

The same could happen with the Chinese "dialects".

>Arabs learn Modern Standard Arabic to communicate with each other
they really don't, everyone switches to some form of generic egyptian arabic, arabic is the language of literature, and that's it

If you don't mind, could you answer "why"?

He wants to be prepared not to offend the mudslimes by not speaking their language, when they come to colonize his Islands.

let's not bullshit eachother,they can all understand eachother but they can't understand anything east of Libya
Algerians and tunisians understand eachother pretty well but nobody but algerian can understand the ayylmao moroccan dialect except for algerians to some extent

brown qts, widely spoken, allahu akbar, etc, etc

The influx of people wanting to learn Arabic and tell people on /lit/, /his/ and Sup Forums is making me want to create a guide or something. Don't you have an instructor? Are you learning it solo or in university by a competent faculty?

m8 he was talking two opposing sides, like oman and morocco, two people of these countries without previous exposure from the media wouldn't be able to communicate in their respective ""dialects"" in a million years

obviously between neighbouring countries there's a dialect continuum

if you're a girl post feet then learn the lebanese dialect because it's very feminine and cute
if you're a guy learn syrian/palestinian it's manlier
Levantine dialects are pretty close to MSA and are understood by most people in mena
Don't bother with maghrebi dialects,they're like 40% arabic tops

to be fair nobody understand moroccansnit sounds like someone rapping under the rain lmao

I definetely want one.

Hoping it becomes available on duolingo 2bh

I understand moroccans no problem, i'm not even from western algeria, tunisian is still closer to me

Arabs i wanna learn arabic but i don't know which one and comments in general on this language makes me not to want it. What should i go for? Can i work that in both Saudi arabia and Iraq and Egypt?

Those three lie within the pith of Islamic influence, as long as you master one of any of these dialects you are passable, start with MSA and consider choosing a Hijazi dialect over Iraqi or Masri.

if you don't have a scholarly interest or some deep interest in the culture (not like you'll learn much being a turk already) I wouldn't bother, it's complicated, multi-faceted and essentially useless, i'd learn something more fun and rewarding like spanish or german or even mandarin if you like a challenge

Do i have to learn them all? Im also learning french and getting good at it so i think i can deal with north africa that way.
It is useful especially aganist useless systems of arabs. Turkish companies are quite active all around and i wanna get some of that too.

in the maghreb business is conducted in french, in the gulf or egypt it's in english, business isn't a great reason if that's what you mean

go for it if you're interested tho, it never hurts

>Do i have to learn them all?
No, not required at least. Bonus points if you do. Learning a language is all about having fun, don't tire yourself too long reading into X/Y dictionaries, that will lead you know-where (pun intended).

Plus, it is VERY possible to cross over as pretentious in Arabic, just stick to colloquialingo.

I enjoy learning languages. Thanks for the answer

>Plus, it is VERY possible to cross over as pretentious in Arabic, just stick to colloquialingo.
foreigners are usually exempted from that

There are always the hooligans, nobody is exempt from the hooligans...

:^(

"lol wut you from the rissala or something?"

You all arab scum should go get some sleep

Hmmmm this thread is going à little. Bit too well for my liking
Kill all________

Algerians?

Learn fus7a, learn masri, learn algerian, learn Nejdi, Learn Iraqi. Boom you just mastered Arabic. In truth, it takes 1 week, literally to understand another dialect, most of the words are similar, grammar tends to be similar as well.

Your post encouraged me to learn Lebanese Arabic, thanks Faroe.

Wish me luck.

I think Hindustani and Arabic complicate that quote moreso than any other languages. Darija does have a different army and navy than Iraqi dialect does, but they are still grouped together. I can only imagine that comes out of a certain religious and cultural tie to the non-dialectical language which does not really exist elsewhere.

Hindustani, on the other hand, has no dialect which is unique to a single country: There are many more native Urdu speakers in India than in Pakistan, etc. Plus they are mutually intelligible.

Anyhow, I tend to disagree with that quote. I think a language is just a dialect which asserts itself as such.

Can anybody here confirm whether or not there was a period of time during which French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, etc. were all A.) Generally thought of as different dialects of the same language and B.) as formally distinct as they are today?

he's been making muslim bait threads for the past week

he might turn into the next sheikh

I surprisingly know this feel too. I want to talk to Ukrainians, but they none of them speak standard Russian or Ukrainian. They all speak some kind of in between language that you can't learn anywhere and need to figure out on your own.

Nobody can top him, not yet.

Arabic is useless.
Go learn something worthwhile like Japanese so you can live the weeb life.

it's called Surzhyk

All of those languages are small minorities. The Arabs have ruled for too long and too dominantly, nationalism is largely limited to Arabian nationalism

>Arabic is useless.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Arabic is only useful when you want to avoid being bombed by ISIS.
All Arabic speakers are rude and delusional.
برووف مي رونغ

t. muhammad "taciz ustası" abadi

>All Arabic speakers are rude and delusional.
1) You are an Arabic speaker
2) Ergo, you are delusional.
3) Since you're delusional, you speak untruthfully.
4) Not all Arabic speakers are delusional - but that leaves us with the rude part, which I might just have to concede with you on.
Q.E.D

Damn, you got me senpai.

>Hatha walad ul-rape bil faranseeyen 3jm

>Somali speaks Yemeni.

God fucking damn it, most of our upper classes speak Egyptian because they're pretentious.

Is Egyptian Arabic a sort of prestige dialect?

Egyptian Arabic is for the peasant class.

You're a dirty fucking liar, they learned Egyptian cause the teachers were Egyptian

In Somalia its for the upper class, funnily enough nobility claims descent from Yemeni Sahaba but doesn't speak a single word of Yemeni arabic.

Does a prestige dialect exist in Arabic besides the modern pronunciation of classical quranic arabic?

Like, one that pretentious people try to emulate, or is the "well spoken" dialect just again, classical arabic?

Not a surprise considering THEY WUZ KANGS AND SHEIT.
All Somalians I've ever spoke with, talked in a pseudo-levantine accent.

Lol, there really isn't one. If you speak in a Gulf accent you are seen as rich. Wahabis sometimes speak classical Arabic, it's weird as hell.

Not really, everybody will speak in their own dialect, some people will try to emulate other's dialects when speaking with them.