>X220
>X230

??

biggest flaw on them is their shitty stock displays

everything else about them is subjective

they aren't macbooks

1: they are too old
2: the keyboard is too comfy and ruins your experience with modern laptops

It's basically the same problem as heroin. It feels good, but ruins your productivity and makes some things completely impossible for you to do unless you stop using it.

And the battery.
I sold my x220 last week and just received my x240. Fuck you.
14h of shitposting.
Seriously, guys. Fuck You,

Admit it, you'd buy one if you could afford it.

Yes I could and I would !

~~20 series with flashed bios supports ivy bridge. Modern enough to last you into the early 2020s, if you're not doing shit like 3d graphic rendering which I know your aren't.
The real answer is the shit screens.

Why did the difference in battery life?

Fucking keyboard.
Now i have a trackpoint desktop keyboard

X240 was the shift to ULV processors, so while being much less powerful than the X230, it also gets much more battery life. This is basically the main reason that older ThinkPads are relevant still, they're near current gen in performance, but battery life is basically halved.

I can only speak for the x220. I miss the keyboard backlight. The thinklight works, but it isn't that nice. Nevertheless I prefer the keyboard to the ones with backlight.

>T420
weight

>X220
>X230
screen resolution

T420:
Too bulky
No USB3.0
Awful TN screen
Speaker grill is a dust magnet and looks nasty after a while

X220:
No USB3.0
1366x768
Fragile lid and palmrest

X230:
1366x768
Fragile lid and palmrest

>weight
>Too bulky

>2kg is too heavy
numale homosexuals go and stay go

>no usb 3.0
What is expresscard

>giant block of shit is compressed well over 800+ MPH and flies into Express/34 slot
Oh fuck this wouldn't happen with PCMCIA version 2.0!!!!
>it fucking does
fuckers

Even the IPS displays are pretty bad.
Trackpads are bad.
On my X220, even the nubbin is bad. It's much stiffer than the T420's and T520's I've used, and the cursor will sort of keep drifting after you've let it go.

The X220 literally uses the same keyboard component as the T420 and T420. It's probably just a dodgy rubber nub or maybe even bad trackpoint.

The X220/230 is pretty dire display-wise. The resolution is a bit annoying already, but the TN panel really is amazingly terrible and easily rivals those $299 Atom laptops in terms of shittiness.

I replaced the nub, so I think it must be the trackpoint itself.
Unfortunate since my X220 is otherwise well looked after, and I lucked out with an IPS screen.

Well if you ever feel like it, the keyboard is a single assembly and takes exactly two screws to remove. It's not a hard replacement job if it's bothering you.

>T420
shittiest TN panel you have ever seen with no IPS option
16:9 with highest resolution being 900p
1366x768 most common config
bare minimum cooling
>X220
Shit TN panel but has IPS option
16:9
only 1366x768
soldered cpu
bare minimum cooling
>X230
same as X220 but with shit keyboard

They are still good laptops for the price. I doubt you could get something better for the same price new except for maybe battery life.

The lids of the X220 and X230 have these bumps for some reason and they create dents on the palm rest. Usually they're not visible but when the light is right you'll definitely notice them, and they're annoying as fuck.

They aren't the W520

>tfw $100 X220
>~9 hour battery life with 9-cell
>came with the IPS screen (I assume, since the viewing angles are perfect from all sides)

>not liking the thinklight
I like it much better than backlit keys personally.

>people complaining about X-series battery life
?

>I assume
check with hwinfo

I don't need too, I can compare with my TN T420.

Display.
Touchpad/trackpad/whatever you wanna call it.
Inability to be comfy with other laptops.

Don't listen to - the battery life is fine as long as you don't use the original battery from 2011ish and it's at least 6-cell. That being said, yes newer laptops generally have better battery life.

>X220
>soldered cpu
It's PGA988 and most definitely socketed, the X240 was the first one with a soldered ULV chip.

x220 and x230 are BGA fagboi

do PGA X-series even exist

>being such a shit typist that having the "wrong" keyboard "ruins your productivity"
I remember when I went through my ThinkPad phase in high school, too.

My bad, apparently the mobile Sandies came in both socketed and BGA versions. I was under the assumption the soldered versions had different model numbers, but apparently not.

How shitty is the ips display on T440?

The same applies to slim models like the T420s, denying the option of upgrading to a quad core for example.

It comes in two panels, LG which is the shit panel and an AUO which is the decent one, the AUO is the B140HAN01.3 if you want to research the specs by yourself.

Can you put a more powerful processor that has ULV capability and swap the battery and get a better bang for buck from the older models? It's a pain in the ass wading through these faggot memes, someone with confidence respond god damn it.

No because ULVs and anything post-Haswell is soldered to the board thanks to the jews at Intlel.

If you want battery life you could get an ULV Haswell X-series or newer + slice battery, these things also have FHD IPS displays.

>x220
feel a little bit cheap on some parts (upper keyboard panel squeaks on press), i7 version is generating way too much heat. also, even ips display is kinda shitty, although nothing unbearable

how durable really are xx20 series?

my x220 has a bit of broken plastic on display frame, but except that it feels exactly like i bought it. quality hinges, sturdy frame, basically you should be fine if you don't mind possibility of small cosmetic cracks showing up after you abuse it. you can also decide to not abuse it and keep it in good condition

i also used x250 for a good while, haven't gave it any chance to break but it felt really solid

thick
heavy (at least the 420)
shit battery life
not fanless

Fanless might be a luxury, but the other three are easily deal breakers for a laptop, you know, something you need to carry around and use away from home.

do people actually find the t420 heavy enough to be annoying?
I know its a bit heftier than those macbooks, but I carry mine around all day, and never experience any fatigue

pretty sure those arent dents bud

My gf is 100 pounds and has no problems carrying a t420 to class. She lasted about a week with a t520 before she had to switch back though.

I think people who complain about the weight are comparing it to other computers, they aren't necessary saying they are too heavy.

Stop bragging... For many people here a t420 is the heaviest thing they will ever carry

What about T430?
and
>X230:
>Fragile lid and palmrest
How fragile?

Even T420 have this issue.

>My gf is 100 pounds
Your gf is fat.

I tell her this every day. I say: WOMAN, you must lose weight. Weight problem = single problem. Everyone in tribe laugh. I am serious!

T430 is basically a T420 with Ivy Bridge and USB 3.0. The screen and the chassis is the same.

this
shit screen

i have 1

A cheap work-around is to get a t520 with a broken screen, and throw in a FHD screen from a w520.