Why aren't you using an ARM notebook with GNU/Linux or a BSD installed?

Admit it: you don't really have a good reason, do you?

Other urls found in this thread:

libv.livejournal.com/26635.html
libv.livejournal.com/27461.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because notebooks are shit. ARM and/or x86.

Because they're expensive and have shit battery life and have locked bootloaders and none of them run linux very well, certainly not without a lot of tinkering.

Low cost low power arm linux laptops when?

>low battery life
no

>locked bootloaders
perhaps some machines do (windows preinstalled?), but some of them you can modify

admittedly it'd be better if they came with ubuntu or something installed and replaceable, or just formatted blank

>sell blank laptop
>95% return rate because customers expected a working computer

>sell linux laptop
>95% return rate because customers expected windows
meh

>people pay up to $800 for ARM devices

Always gets me.

How can you waste your money on such crap? Just fucking buy a proper x86_64 machine you fucking retard.

because i have a 180 dollar laptop

Because I use some x86 exclusive software and I also don't want to be limited to like 4 shit distros

Maybe someday ARM will be worth using, but not yet.

I have an SNSV labtop, too. It is real fun.

Because I use a PowerPC laptop with OpenBSD installed

But, infact, I am using the exact same device in your picture which I've Librebooted.

how well does it work

i've been considering getting an old powerpc mac for shits and giggles and installing openbsd on it

Good stuff, user.

>PowerPC laptop
Explain. Also, wouldn't that have a bad battery life?

It's usable for light things like web browsing and ssh

>Explain
Not much to explain, I have a PowerBook running OpenBSD. I was getting 4-5h but the battery took a shit. Going to buy a new one till I get around to recelling one.

For what purpose really? If you are into arm development for whatever reason buy cheat demo boards. If you want portable device for normie techs buy smart phones. If you want portable device with reasonable power buy laptop with actual processing power.

If ARM gpu team changes their mind about open sourcing userland libraries (actual shader compilers not kernel modules just for DMA) I might give it another shot but before that it's just pseudo-autismo bait.

>If ARM gpu team changes their mind about open sourcing userland libraries
Do they not want people to use their chips or something? I don't understand what they gain by keeping them closed source

idk really. They are just forcing board developers and their developers to suffer with locked down code trees and butchered kernel at this point. Reading libv's articles (yes he went through several psychological episodes but he generally know what he's talking about) it sounds like they won't move on before serious competitor emerges in mobile graphics scene (i.e. not intel).

libv.livejournal.com/26635.html
libv.livejournal.com/27461.html

Their loss, our gain.

Not gonna lie when I read this I thought you were using an RS/6000 laptop and was prepared to be jelly

Using a Samsung Chromebook Plus with ARM and I'm fine with the OS, especially since it runs Android apps.

Is that a prison?

Are there any? I know about that 90$ one and the 300$one, but both are powered by a raspberry pi, so it's not exactly a laptop.
Thought about buying the 90$ one for tv shows and stuff, but my 7years old probook is still working so changed my mind(also I tried to order one but couldn't)

it looks comfy imo
10/10 would cuddle with elitebook user

there's aarch64 based laptop called pinebook. It's just their shitty board with pretty case so doesn't really count but I don't think there's any legitimate ARM laptop beside chromebook at this point.

Yeah, that's the 90$ one I talked about. And their own board is just an rpi clone with maybe 2gb of ram

>No superkey
>no function keys
>no fn
>no prtn screen

it's just my room.

it's okay user. Get good at programming and you'll make money.

id rather be poor than living my life its ok user

Because I already have a macbook

>shit battery life

In what fucking universe do you live in that an ARM laptop has anything even approaching poor battery life? Are you actually retarded?

Because my laptop is my only computer and I need it to be able to do things that require actual performance. Sometimes I need it to run Windows, too.

Because my X86 both gets good battery and is compatible with almost everything I would want to use a notebook for

Nice 2570p/2560p
Why the cooling pad though? I thought elitebooks were supposed have good coolers

actually there's a chromebook supported by libreboot

c201
and it is awesome
debian armhf port runs native
xfce
use tplink tl-wn722n for blobless wifi (ath9k_htc)