/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Here is the Pixel 2 in “Kinda Blue,” White, and Black – Starting at $649
droid-life.com/2017/09/19/google-pixel-2-kinda-blue-price/

And Here is the Pixel 2 XL in Black and White, Starting at $849
droid-life.com/2017/09/19/google-pixel-2-xl-exclusive/

HTC and Google announce a $1.1 billion agreement for the future of Pixel
gsmarena.com/htc_and_google_announce_a_11_billion_agreement_for_the_future_of_pixel_phones-news-27383.php

HTC U11 Plus rumored for November with 6-inch 18:9 bezel-less screen
gsmarena.com/htc_u11_plus_rumored_for_november_with_6inch_189_bezelless_screen-news-27406.php

Moto G5S Plus lands in the US on September 29, pre-orders are live for $229.99
gsmarena.com/moto_g5s_plus_is_landing_in_the_us_on_september_29_preorders_are_live_for_22999-news-27403.php

Moto X4 Android One smartphone becomes official for Fi, priced at $399
gsmarena.com/moto_x4_android_one_smartphone_becomes_official_for_fi_priced_at_399-news-27378.php

Xiaomi Mi 5X review
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_5x-review-1658.php

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_722226.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fingerprint scanner front > Fingerprint scanner back

Xperia E5 or Huawei P7? Im on a budget and have narrowed it down to these two, which one is less shit?

Great deal on the OnePlus 5 6/64GB, it's $418.99 / 351€ with coupon OP5SAVER
gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_722226.html

Anyone able to recommend a phone with a good camera? I previously had the LG G4 which had the best manual mode I've ever used in a phone. Considering the LG v20 since it's rather cheap now. It doesn't seem much worse than the v30 but it looks nicer than the LG G6 camera imo.

>paying more than $200 for a phone
Sucker

>being poor

Anyone know why a phone could every once in a while shit out and for some reason be unable to wipe caches?
It happens to mine like every few days and it's only solved by rebooting. I find out it starts happening when every single image fails to load in Clover for no apparent reason, but the inability to wipe caches is widespread on all apps after that.

But that's wrong, my man. Back > front.

Is it worth getting an s7 edge right now? Mainly looking at the camera performance.. Currently I'm using a honor 5c.

It's a good phone provided you remove the Samsung and carrier bloatware.

Get the G6 or iPhone 7 if you want good camera

Can't reach the fingerprint scanner in the back if you're in the car trying to change the song playing.

Sad thing tap to wake doesn't exist for phones that have fingerprint scanners on the front right?

Any opinions on Moto Z Play? Looking to get one. Tired of my G3.

About to jump the gun on the Xperia XZ1, anything I should know before possible buyer's remorse?

Anyone still use a Note 4 here? What a god tier phone. One of the last flagship phones to have a removable battery + amoled 1440p screen

G6 looks nice but I'm a bit afraid since it might bootloop out of nowhere..

Replaced mine with the Note8.

Note4 was GOAT phone, but it's simply getting old at this point.

I got a Redmi 4x on sale. What's the most stable ROM to use with it?

Few are official and many seem to have bugs with LTE and the camera.

Tap to wake, then put your passcode, then open up your music app / spotify / message app if you're trying to check a message
VS
Place finger on front facing sensor, open desired app.

I don't see how it's getting old. The screen is still one of the best, same with the camera, it has 3GB of RAM which more than enough for nougat and such, and it has removable battery and unlocked bootloader.

Damn the Pixel 2/2XL look disgusting

Xiaomi.eu ROM

If you think the screen is still one of the best then you've obviously not used an S8+ or Note8.

Comparing them side by side and the Note4 screen is simply not impressive.

Also, 3GB RAM is usable, but I was regularly hitting my RAM limit and having apps drop out of memory, on the Note8 that simply doesn't happen.

Removable battery was only a concern for me back when a phone simply wouldn't last a full day. That just isn't a factor with the Note8. The battery lasts well into the next day, and with fast charging and wireless fast charging, i'm able to get 5+ hours of battery in 20 minutes.

I haven't bothered with ROMs since my original DroidX back in 2010 so an unlocked bootloader doesn't mean much to me. Especially since i've started using samsung pay with the Note8 which gets disabled if you root your device.

Again, the Note4 is GOAT. Amazing phone, but pretending it's still right up there with the current flagships is pretty much fantasy.

First of all,
>using your phone while driving
>averting your concentration from the act of driving and the road while driving
Natural selection will do you people in soon enough, keep your front sensor.
Secondly, you don't have to unlock your phone to change the music that's currently playing. Any good music player will have controls from the lockscreen alone.
Lastly, can you even read your messages while sitting upright and your phone is on the dash/near the stick? You can't? So you're gonna pick up the phone anyway? Negating the entire point of not picking it up for the sake of the front fingerprint scanner?

That's what it came pre-installed with, and it's full of bloatware.

Can we compare a year-old flagship with a new midranger in a general sense?

Both cost the same. Flagship may have better build quality but it will have fewer updates eventually.

Personally I bought Samsung Galaxy 6 last October and it was very affordable by then already surpassed by S7. Alas, it will not receive Oreo if it matters.

it came with a pre-installed custom ROM? You sure?

What budget?

both are shit

No shit the latest phone is better but the note 4 still holds up and it's a whole lot cheaper than the note 8 without contract or carrier lock

No shit, if I wanted to keep using my Note4 i obviously would've kept using it.

The fact I bought a Note8 means I wasn't satisfied with the Note4 anymore.

Anyone know anything i can stick on to the back of my phone, glass back makes it slide around too much

>I don't see how it's getting old
>No shit the latest phone is better but the note 4 still holds up

So you DO see how it's getting old

>Lastly, can you even read your messages while sitting upright and your phone is on the dash/near the stick? You can't? So you're gonna pick up the phone anyway? Negating the entire point of not picking it up for the sake of the front fingerprint scanner?
Using the remarkable sarcasm you showed in your first response:
If only phone holders weren't a thing, right?
Too bad you can't use one since it'd cover your amazing back placed sensor.
Reading a message != texting while driving. If you can't read 2 or 3 lines at a glance then you should probably go back to school.

it came with MIUI 8.1 global

My mistake, I thought that was what you were referring to.

Again, tap to wake exists on phones that have both front, and if you haven't noticed it, back placed scanners.

I feel we're going in circles now.
Read :

Is the LG V30 gonna be the GOAT this year? I really like stock Android but Google is fucking up with these Pixels.

Will it ever release?

It was announced almost a month ago with no release date or pricing.

Last week we had ANOTHER announcement from LG about the upcoming LG V30 release, still no pricing or release date given.

IDK about you, but most people are fed up with this shit. The ONLY reason the V30 was announced a month ago was to try and fuck with the Note8 sales. But they STILL haven't even given a US release date. Shit is pissing me the fuck off now and I probably wont buy LG even if it released tomorrow.

the only phone worth owning right now is a galaxy s8+

No, we're not.
I've already responded to most of that, and the message thing does not at all detract anything from back placed scanners because of the presence of tap to wake.
Yes, it's a few extra taps on that one situation that doesn't always happen. You'd want to read it while at a red light, you can pick the phone up. While traffic is going slow, you can tap to wake and open up the messaging app. You're saying that just because I have to put a minimum of 6 extra taps that barely take more time than just unlocking with the fingerprint, that the back-placed scanner is ultimately inferior.

So here's one situation wherein I feel that back-scanners are better.
>You pick up your phone, and want to unlock it. You put your finger on the back, voila, it unlocks.
If you unlocked with the front, chances are you have a big phone such that you'd have to change your current grip or you'd have to use an extra hand, depending on the way you've set up the scanner/are holding your phone.
>Phone is lying down on the table/ground, you put your finger on it and waste less time in the unlocking process

Idk, I'm really worried about the software. I want to be as close to stock Android as possible. I also want to be guaranteed an update to Android Praline but it's not like I get that with LG either anyway.

If the point of a fingerprint scanner is to unlock your phone as securely as a PIN but saving time, having 6 extra taps because you can't use your time saving scanner due to its placement, how does that not make it inferior?

Samsung has been better than LG over the past 2-3 years for major android updates.

S6 and Note5 got Android 7.0 despite starting on Android 5.1.1

S7 series will be getting Android 8.0 as their final update.

S8 series should be getting Android 9.0 as the final update since they started on 7.0

I honestly have gotten used to touchwiz, it's not nearly as bad as it was back with the S3-S5 days. There are occasional animation hiccups compared to Vanilla android, but there are a ton of features added too. And its still android so you're still free to customize most shit however you want.

Is 3gb of ram enough these days? Looking at the Moto x4 as an upgrade for my S5

So you're just gonna attack parts of my argument now, huh?
Let's go back to the music app.
>Back placed scanner with tap to wake
Three taps, two to wake up, one to skip
>Front scanner with tap to wake, but you insist on not using
Hold on scanner for a short amount of time, open up music app with one tap, then skip with another tap.
How is using the front scanner faster in this case?

Hate the glass back of my S7 edge? Want to keep nfc. Recommend me a phone pls

Get a skin for it.

Didn't it release yesterday in Korea?

And?

Still no US pricing or release, still no European pricing or release date.

It was first announced in August. We're almost at October. It likely wont launch until mid October, and it will likely be $799+ anyway. At that price point i'd rather have an S8+.

Is Moto g5 best budget phone? Or should I buy a second hand flagship?

How's the HTC 10 lifestyle

Should I? It's $213 with coupon.
SD 625, 4GB RAM, 64GB, , good audio and camera and metal build with clean android seems nice for the price.

HTC U Ultra or Galaxy S7?

For my dad, he doesn't believe in chink weird names like "Shawmeee", he wants a brand name.

>dispatch: 10th of october
Mega cucked

Where I live it will take at least 2 months to arrive anyway.

Smartphones are useless

Looks like a good price, just check the bands

no-one cares

Is Android 8.0 ok? Just recieved the update notice on my nexus.
Also its been crashing quite a lot recently. Like, a LOT.

Sammy 7 is older but I don't know if that matters here. Have you checked the specs?

How about new midranger like Nokia 6?

So you care? ;^)

Is there any other difference between the S8+ and the Note 8 besides the pen ?

dual camera on the Note 8

botom headphone jack > top headphone jack

Both are close spec wise but S7 has AMOLED panel and 32gb instead of 64gb on U Ultra

Camera wise I think S7 might be better but sensor on U Ultra has a greater number?

Sony IMX378 Exmor RS vs Sony IMX260 Exmor RS on S7

I think I'm going to go for safest option and pick S7, since it will have great resale price and more common than HTC here.

I never have this problem on my G4 Play. You may need to reset it.

why? with the jack at the top it's easier to use the volume buttons without taking the phone out of the pocket.

Yeah why not.

S-SHOULD I??

Go... ahead? Why are you opting for an installment plan though?

Clearly hes not very rich hue

6GB RAM and dual camera.

Unless you get the S8+ version with 6GB of RAM.

Also the Note8 display is something like 20% brighter and ~8% more efficient.

Is it worth it? It's like ~230$ more than the M6 Note on alibaba.

recommended app for playing music on android?

play music has low volume for some reason

32 bit software, exponentially outdated tech, fag
t. note 4 user but too poor/uninterested in 2017 phones

what controls the system photo cropper in android??? i think i froze the thing and i can't find it anymore

Is the S8+ worth it? How's the battery of the S8?

S8+ is GOAT battery, 5+ hour SoT

S8 is good but less impressive 4-4.5 hour.

S8+ is honestly the best phone out if you don't care about dual camera or stylus, which then the best phone is the Note8.

The regular S7 will cost less money most of the time. You dont need the meme curved edges anyway.

Can anyone recommend me a good phone comparable to pic related? The 16GB storage is just not working for me anymore. (preferably lots of storage, easy to root, cheap, etc.)

Do you have it? How's the size of the screen? I think that it's a little too big for me, it just satands out too much in a crowd you know?

Because of the screen ratio it's actually decent to hold, very comfortable, doesn't feel TOO big.
I upgraded to the Note8 though and gave the S8+ to my brother.

I prefer the large screen size but if you don't the S8 is still a great phone, just smaller battery and screen.

And how does the increased screen size affect the quality of what's diaplayed, things should look sharper in the S8 right?

is google spying on us via android and google maps and just basically everything that we type on our android phones?

They're both going to be sharp enough where you wont see individual pixels unless you're within ~6 inches of the screen.

Yes, technically the S8 is sharper, but at that size, a larger display is better for media viewing unless you're always using the Gear VR or holding the phone RIGHT up against your face.

Why even worry walking on eggshells
Just

Recommend me phone with good camera and battery life. Budget is about 200€ and location EU.

Absolutely. Front or side are both way better than back. You have to be in denial to say otherwise. If your phone is laying on the table face up, the back scanner is cumbersome as fuck.

Manufacturers are being lazy, compromising usability, and people who buy their shitty phones are defending this decision. The worst is Samsung S8 that has the scanner right next to the camera lens. Fucking kek.

I'm quite invested into the Google ecosystem but want to switch to an iphone. Thoughts?

Never buy Sony

>US/Sprint
It me birthday and I'm getting a new phone. It has to have:
>hotspot hack/mod
>headphone jack
>water resistant
>big screen
>longer battery life than the s5
Currently have an s5 and it's definitely the best phone I've ever had but it's time for me to upgrade. The biggest things I love about the phone is that I could modify the hotspot tool to use it for free with my unlim plan and that the screen is big.
I've considered the s8 but those curves look like a big meme..

It's like a Redmi note 4 with better software. What's not to like.

Nokia 6

Would you buy a loaf a bread for 20 dollars and call someone who buys it for 3 poor? No, your retarded and probably Brazilian. budget phones are basically on par with flagships and flagship killers at this point. Just look at the DOOGE MIX 200 for a 5.5" bezeless display with a decent processor and good battery life. Excessivfags like you dropping 800 $ on a phone worth 400 are the reason prices are so high.

I got Note 2 five years ago and it's starting to fall apart now. So I need a new phone.

Any recommendations?
-Budget

>expensive
>disabled fingerprint scanner in US firmware
>unlocking the bootloader (if allowed by your device) rapes camera quality
>some branded apps depending on firmware
>questionable durability and build quality on past models

Otherwise:
>very clean software, branded apps can be disabled or uninstalled with little effort
>great battery life
>decent software upgrade support