My little brother texted me this. I write networking software in C at my job. What do I tell him? Python? Forth?

My little brother texted me this. I write networking software in C at my job. What do I tell him? Python? Forth?

He's 14.

install gentoo

Arduino stuff (c++)

Python. Don't go and be an autist now

Damn, he's like my little brother. Give him Python for now (C later on), familiarize him with GNU/Linux, get him a ThinkPad.

Pretty much make him autistic.

C++, as what
said.

It'll be the most useful language for his usercase.

>tfw no little brother to make autistic

tell him to get the minecraft source, study it and play with it

x86 assembly
Failing that, have him play Human Resource Machine to learn the super-basics of programming

vb.net

make him get bullied at school for being a little script kiddie faggot

>He's 14.

Hes too old now, you gotta start young.

I started at 16 and I make 120k now.

Yeah but if you started at 6 you'd be a billionaire by now

>only 120k
lmao can't even afford rent in SF how embarrassing
guess your parents hated you

Start him pure.

That's why you live in NC/SC, make 120k, and only pay $1k/mo for a nice 2 br

He's 14 he's starting too late. He'll only get a shitty job now.

He's asking about your car first instead of his own future his priorities are fucked up.

>Unsecured SMS

OP is a retard.

Anyway, he should start with Swift. He's so old he might as well make some App Store garbage like an App that lets you know how often doors are being slammed in a house.

SICP

The only option in anno domini 2017. You can't let him get corrupted by the devil! Protect his purity!
Also teach him coq.

What bothers me most is why he sends you an sms when theres stuff like IRC

maybe you shouldn't teach him OP i dont want him to turn out autistic like this poster

Buy him some stockings and panties and an 18 inch black dildo

You fucking faggots should go back to /b

Yikes

Fuck him.

Don't teach him to be an "I only know the programming language I learned programming in" tard like many self-certified "software engineers".

>Implying I have autism
Fuck you

javascript because it's everywhere

Yeah, forth, just to fuck with him. Give him the full ultra technology koolaid.

Did you honestly try to brag that you're going to buy a model 3 on Sup Forums? Holy shit you pathetic faggot get the fuck out.

Why not C? If he can't wrap his head around simple concepts of C like pointers he can't ever be good at programming. You might just want to explain to him that C is a very simple language and he can explore on his own from there.

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, followed by courses in Linear Algebra, Calculus, Graph Theory, and Category Theory, followed by a mix of Intro to Algorithms and TAOCP

If you don't start by learning assembly you'll never be a real programmer

>not starting with machine language
Its like you aren't even trying you fucking codemonkey

>if you spend your money poorly you will always run out
Some people have basic self control.

Face it, you'd buy one if you could afford it.

Get girlfriend
Get social life
Avoid reddit or Sup Forums
Found real job.
In worst case teach he low level stuff.

>He's asking about your car first instead of his own future his priorities are fucked up.
Kids like cars more than jobs.

>ywn make your otouto an autistic almost-pedophile tinfoil hat robot obsessed with the NSA
Why live

>Teslel

Literally the same thing, retard. You can't say you know assembly if you don't know the underlying opcodes each mnemonic translates to.

is there hope

Nah, my nissan cube is perfectly fine.

One job

tell him to google it

he will never succeed

Has he started HRT yet OP?

>living in herpesville
Have fun with the LGBT parades on your powerwashed street, faggot.

>this response
>14
He's doomed btw.

Nigga when I was 14 I could at the very least look this shit up myself, and I'm not exactly brainiac from planet smartron-5. Hate to break it to ya but he might be hecked if you don't fix him up soon

Python, give him access to something pretty straightforward for the most part and show him how fun it can be.

Tell him from the Amazon.

hi poorfag

I think a big part of it is social media melting the brains of gen Z.

now you see one of the many contradictions of capitalism.

>nigga
this needs to stop.

Hi faggot. Enjoy the smell of stale semen.

Get the short distance, then start a forest fire upwind from town. You'll get the upgrade for free.

Whats the dopest programming language that can get me tons of money and boypussy.

rubby on rails

some web technology

C is the perfect language for beginners.
Most modern languages use C-inspired syntax, so it starts them off on a good track (instead of pants-on-head-retarded Visual Basic like my middle school did).
The syntax is incredibly basic, almost intuitive, once you learn a few ground rules.
Supports all the features that a beginner programmer needs to focus on.

If I were in charge of curriculum for a CS department, the first programming course would be C without pointers.
The second course would advanced C and intro to OOP with C++.
Third course would be more advanced programming topics in Java (GUIs, concurrency, networking, maybe database stuff).

My school started with OOP in C# and now we're moving on to advanced OOP and pointers/lower level stuff in C++. Are we backwards?

God damn that must be confusing as hell.

Not backwards, it's just not ideal in my opinion.

Large, enterprise OOP languages like Java and C# have way too much going on.
They can be distracting for first-year students who are just now learning programming concepts.

I use C# at work and I think it's fantastic. But think of all that you need to write to get "hello, world" in C#.
Same for Java.

public class Hello {
public static void Main(string[] args) {
Console.WriteLine("Hello, world!");
}
}

Every intro class that uses languages like this always start the same way:
don't ask me what classes are, don't ask me what static means, don't ask me what public means. We'll discuss those later.

First-time programmers need to focus on the fundamentals before worrying about all of that:
Variables, logical and comparative operators, if-statements, switch-case, loops, and functions.

That's 16-weeks easy for an intro class that assumes no prior experience, with time for projects.

Python and Arduino (aka C for babby)

Get him started in embedded software dev early OP so he can afford a Model S one day.

oh man forth is so good. that said, I'd tell him something commercially useful like Objective C or Java.

Depends what he wants to do with it though.

you sure he's a boy ? I know females can't google worth shit, but even the most dumb male kid would know how to google "python programming" or "python download" or some variations

That is silly though.

Imagine there is a child who only speaks english and you are trying to teach him to read and write. Teaching someone C without pointers first is like teaching latin without half the grammar as a first language.

The reason to start with either python or java/c# is because it lets people learn quickly without too much lower level difficulty, and it catches issues which might be disheartening for new students. Followed by introduction to algorithms course. Only after that, introduce C and more advanced algorithms as well as software development stuff for OOP. Then Assembly, basic networking and more advanced software design/development.

>tfw no little bro to arm to the teeth with chink technologies

>electric
Nope

If he is like me, java is a huge mistake because he will start asking questions like what does class mean?, what does static mean?, if main is a funcion why are there arguments in it, if they are never used.

true. as pajeets flood the market, embedded is the refuge for white programmers. no room for error in ring 0

c++, it's what colleges start you at anyway

Java, Python, C++ and maybe some logic language

>C without pointers
One can't get very far in C without using pointers, considering this completely makes doing anything with strings and arrays impossible.

Why would you want to deprive new programmers of understanding pointers? It should be one of the first things you teach them.

C to Python is more like proper Shakespeare/whatever English to slang

If your reply isn't the zoo then you're a giant fag and this thread should instantly die

>I write networking software in C at my job
sounds like a security nightmare

>no engine noise
>ugly interior
Yeah, fuck off to r/elonmusk

>Getting a Model 3

Holy shit, OP, you might just be the biggest faggot that's ever posted on Sup Forums.

>wanting to live in SF