I'm an American ex-Christian. I've read most of the Bible at one point or another, and one of my many...

I'm an American ex-Christian. I've read most of the Bible at one point or another, and one of my many, many criticisms is that it's just not easy reading. It's boring, the stories and dialogue make little sense and they're hard to follow, the characters are shallow and indistinct, there's a lot of repetition and stuff like lists of who begat whom, etc.

Anyway, I was thinking I'd try to learn more about Islam by trying to read to Qur'an (an English translation, even though I'm told it's meant to be read in Arabic) and I was just wondering if, since the two religions are pretty similar, that the book is written in a similar, indigestible style, or if it's more readable. Can anyone help me out?

I don't intend to convert or anything, I just want to know what I'm talking about when I'm defending you guys from Republicans.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=99UIR6iWKyU
youtube.com/watch?v=LWiXECm0M5g
youtube.com/watch?v=rZ87iWfJdpw
youtube.com/watch?v=C6FjGSM0qQo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kys

It's a waste of time

you won't enjoy it.

Any religion = shit

Atheism is the only choise for clever person

It's not about enjoying it. I didn't enjoy the Bible either, but now I know more about it than most Christians I meet.

> but now I know more about it than most Christians I meet.

That will be your only reward
not worth the hassle imo

If you read the koran youd convert back to christianity immediately

No, the reward is that I get to embarrass Republicans in arguments. And now I want to embarrass Republicans with my knowledge of Islam.
The Qur'an would convince me there's a god?

Depends, did the translators translate it to a style similar to the bible (all those fancy forgotten words) or is it modern?

Compare the new testament and the koran and youll see what I mean. Keep in mind that these books are based on real, historical events with real people.

youtube.com/watch?v=99UIR6iWKyU

>words are fancy just because americans dont use them

hark at this guy

>And now I want to embarrass Republicans with my knowledge of Islam.

as long as you enjoy it

Nobody's answering my fucking question.

how many people on Sup Forums do you think has read the Qur'an?
Try your luck with /mena/

Because its fucking retarded. How many versions of the bible are there these days now? choose one you like

To answer your question OP if you're still here, the Qur'an is much more difficult than the bible to read, there's no narrative, it's very strangely laid out, it's kind of like a long list

>I don't intend to convert or anything, I just want to know what I'm talking about when I'm defending you guys from Republicans.
What's with all this Islamophilia among lefties/liberals? Do you guys even realize that religious Islamic people for the most part are ultraconservative (=/= progressive)? They hate gays, feminists and such

Read the Tanakh with the commentary by Rashi, it explains so much.

christianity is a rip off paganism
you should look up the actual history of Christianity.

There's a book called sorcery and religion in ancient scandinavia

related videos by same author as the book
youtube.com/watch?v=LWiXECm0M5g
youtube.com/watch?v=rZ87iWfJdpw
youtube.com/watch?v=C6FjGSM0qQo

Hey OP, I would suggest you to post your question on /his/
They are pretty heavy into theological discussion and are pretty knowledgeable about religion

The Quran is a good book tbqh

Christianity was somewhat molded around European paganism because Christianity became the European religious cultural standard. Despite what the snownigger would have you think Christianity is as originally and genuinely European as it gets.

I disagree with your point of view, my good Sir.

this. It makes absolutely no sense.

Why does he need to "defend" the only group in his country more backwards than republicans from republicans?

Virtue signalling etc. I guess.

Anyway, to address the American poster: Reading the Qur'an won't make you more sympathetic to Islam, that's for sure. The whole thing is basically just a rant which either A.) Breaks the 4th wall and goes on about how perfect the Qur'an is B.) Showers God with just about every single Classical Arabic synonym for "badass" C.) Gives a sparknotes-tier summary of the bible D.) talks about just how easy it is to provoke God's wrath or E.) spurts of a bunch of hyper-specific legalese which doesn't even really have ethically-abstract analogues.

stfu kike

ugh. is it that hard to pretend he had just said "western"?

Read another translation

>this thread

OP is literally a redditor

I will mainly talk about the bible because it's the book I know most.

You have to understand that:

1) the bible is composed of 2 distincts parts -the old and the new testament
The old testament is not really relevant and is mostly and historic text on the appearance of god before the jewish people.
The new testament is the relevant part it's composed of several evangiles carefully selected then put together which then relate the story of jesus view by distinct people. He is both the son of god and god himself reflecting the duality of the christian faith.

While reading the text you have to understand 2 things: first the bible is not a divine text for christians meaning it's has been written 2000 years ago and has to understood within this context; then there are no easy answer as quest for god is an hard and never self evident, eventhough it has to be understood to message of reciprocate love.

For the Korean you just have to know that:
1) everyword is considered to be god's word and can't be interpreted non litterally
2) when 2 parts are contradictory the most recent part is always the relevant one

Enjoy you reading