Freefag want a chromebook

Hi Sup Forums

Can all the owner of a Asus C201 under Linux post a screen of their machine and what distro they use ?

Thanks,

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/C201
libreboot.org/docs/install/c201.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes sir, taking screen now for you kindly.

I would, but left it on dorm. I use nixos with xmonad+taffybar. Is this just another screenfetch thread in disguise?

thank you sir, which distro are you using on your C201 ?
Are you happy with it ?

No it's not, just a straight asus C201 linux thread I swear

And are you happy with it ?

>straight asus C201 linux thread I swear
you and me both know that this is a libreboot thread in disguise

There were some issues with sound, but there are kernel patches from galliumos. Though be aware that i don't browse the internet on it, all i run on it is emacs, terminal, zathura, texlive, mpd and occasionally ghc/ocaml/coq/gcc/compcert. It's the cheapest libreboot machine in yuropoor so i'm very happy with it, does all i need.

why don't you browse the internet ?

I have books, i have offline docs. For news, i scrape rss feed, email/jabber for communication, git, ssh. Don't need anything else, i have a phone for occasional shitpost or anything that needs a full browser session, like logging in to my uni's is.

so you don't browse because you need to,not because the asus doesn't allowyou to, right ?

Yeah, networking works just fine with. Just don't know how browsers perform on it, which i think is relevant for vast majority of people considering getting this machine.

Why is it relevant ?

From what i noticed, most people use their laptops to browse the internet. I never noticed anyone else who would use it without one, so browser performance is a relevant metric for them.

My C201 has Debian 8 armhf port installed.
XFCE
TL-WN722N wifi dongle
libreboot

wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/C201

OP here

And are you happy with it ? Do you have a decent battery life ?

Do you have any screenshot ?

Nice try NSA

The hardest part regarding Linux on ARM is getting used to how the kernels are installed. They are dd'd directly into partitions. You also need to attach a dtb to the kernel, and possibly sign, depending on how your bios is setup. You'll want at least two kernel partitions, probably three. You set the partition priority for boot, and also can mark a partition for testing, so if your kernel is bad it will go back automatically to the good partition on next power cycle.

do you really think the C201 worries the NSA ?

does it change with libreboot ?

You can compile libreboot with your own key so kernels need to be properly signed. Or set it up so it will boot anything... You will be compiling libreboot from source anyways so you can make these decisions (best is to use throwaway VM and install required toolchain).. But what I described is how booting works. Good thing about C201 aside from blobless operation is the bios is write-protected with a screw. So when the screw is in place your bios can't be reflashed.

put the screw can be removed, it has to be removed to install libreboot isn't

Yes. After you have your bios file built, you open up the C201 to access the screw. It is under the keyboard. Once you've flashed you can put the screw back and seal up the machine.

libreboot.org/docs/install/c201.html

Ok thanks :)
Just have to find and buy it, it's hard to find

How did you compile depthcharge by yourself? Last time I tried to do it by myself libreboot's documentation for C201 payload compilation was seriously lacking. Libreboot's build scripts are not exactly orthodox ones I'm used to either so I just gave up at some point.

what's with the odd spacing and curry english. please get out.