Fewer than 5% of engineers trained in India are cut out for high-skill programming jobs

When considering Indian engineering talent, quantity trumps quality.

Indian universities may be churning out the world’s largest engineering population, but the graduates’ skills levels aren’t high. In 2011, India’s National Association of Software and Services Companies estimated that only 25% of India’s IT engineering graduates were employable. Six years on, the talent pool is still in dire straits.

“Only 4.77% candidates can write the correct logic for a program, a minimum requirement for any programming job,” a recent Aspiring Minds study of over 36,000 engineering students in India revealed. The employability assessment company tested students from IT-related streams of study at more than 500 colleges across India on Automata, a machine learning-based assessment of software development skills.

“The IT industry requires maintainable code so that it is less prone to bugs, is readable, reusable and extensible,” the study notes. “Time efficient code runs fast.” Only 1.4% of programmers surveyed could create code that was functionally correct and efficient, meaning it does what it’s supposed to do and in a reliable and speedy manner.

More than two-thirds of the candidates from the top 100 universities in the country were able to write “compilable code,” or that which does not throw errors when compiled into machine-readable code. In the rest of the colleges, only 31% of students were able to write compilable code.

One reason for the poor performance is the dearth of good instructors as well as misaligned college curriculums. “The school curriculum focusing on MS-Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc., rather teaching programming using elementary languages such as Basic and Logo is also the culprit,” said Varun Aggarwal, the co-founder and chief technology officer at Aspiring Minds.

Source: qz.com/964843/less-than-5-of-india-engineers-are-cut-out-for-high-skill-programming-jobs/

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.codinghorror.com/the-nonprogramming-programmer/
youtube.com/watch?v=llTYfQI5IAM
youtube.com/watch?v=CRUa_09IOVU
youtube.com/watch?v=lGHrhtuxnOc
youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU
independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/parents-risk-lives-climbing-exam-buildings-to-help-hundreds-of-indian-students-cheat-10120933.html
docs.racket-lang.org/sicp-manual/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Many people fail to understand that third world countries are third world for a reason.

There is no magical well of highly skilled poor people in some hidden village.

>Many people fail to understand that third world countries are third world for a reason.
The reason is the white imperialist patriarchy.

>execution of code

Nobody can get 100% success in such.
Bitch please.

>One reason for the poor performance is the dearth of good instructors as well as misaligned college curriculums. “The school curriculum focusing on MS-Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc., rather teaching programming using elementary languages such as Basic and Logo is also the culprit,” said Varun Aggarwal, the co-founder and chief technology officer at Aspiring Minds.

kek MS word/PowerPoint/Excel Guess they're training them for tech support jobs lol.

Still 5% of India's engineering is quite a lot.

I wonder how many percentage of US engineers are cut out for high-skilled programming jobs?

>blog.codinghorror.com/the-nonprogramming-programmer/
I'd say less than 10% but thats just according to the old fizz buzz test. More realistically, what's the absolute number. I bet 5% of India's capable engineers outnumber 10% of capable engineers from the US.

>There is no magical well of highly skilled poor people in some hidden village.
this

>hurrr

POO

Wrong kind of engineer.

>high-quility
me can to use compooper, sir

75 000 out of 1.5mil isn't good, taken that there are 70 000 engineers in finland, all of which are better than indian

Is this real or not?

This is so accurate it hurts.
And the worst thing is honestly management unable to admit this.

I work for a market leader company in lab technology and food analysis with labs in over 100 countries. They maintain their own Lab Information Management System (LIMS) which has been built out of independent components since the 1990s and they still use it, looks like a nightmare from Win 3.1 in most places. And since it was never standardized, every lab uses some own mix.

So now we're overseeing the making of a new one. I am one of the Requirements Engineers on this.
When I started a year ago we were 6 local devs in Hamburg and some indians badly doing Reporting with SSRS.
So all you need is a Template and a way to handle incoming Data. It's so easy fucking I could do it in my limited PHP experience given some time.

Management saw they needed more DEVs due to deadlines closing in, so they decided to expand India. They now have around 500 Pajeets for the whole Project, including some bullshit managers.
Right now, only two local DEVs for our team remain, with 9 Pajeets assigned to them.

They're supposed to do clean code and a nice Domain Driven Design, but all they get is spaghetti code and everyone wants to quit since salary is not high enough for the profits we make (easily in the millions).

tl;dr: Even Multimillion Dollar Profit Companies go for cheap Pajeets. They don't see the product is turning to shit.

>The school curriculum focusing on MS-Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc

WTF AHAHAHAHA

Jesus fucking christ, even in my shitty third world dumpster it would be a joke to include that in an engineering program, are they literally retarded?

If you want to learn that shit you do a 3 month PC Operator course that only requires middle-school if even to enter, but you don't see that in the fucking university, pathetic.

but if you hire a curry compuderist, you can pay peanuts
or sandals, socks or in other usable things

Please Sir, do the needful and remove this.

Is this real? I've seen high-school technical degrees with more content than this, in third world countries.

Expanding on this.

Thread Theme: youtube.com/watch?v=llTYfQI5IAM

The worst thing is they employ indian managers there to manage the resources. So they just employ people by indian standards, give them a shit title and then assign them to us.

One of the "senior Developers" they gave us came fresh out of University of Bangalore, was a very kind man and always very focussed on me understanding what he did, so he usually did 45 minute sessions of going through every single interaction his code did.
I frankly have no experience with C# or DDD, but most of his errors was in dumb loop logic, terrible handling of bigger DTOs and a basic program structure of "if... then... else... else... else..."
Correcting that was not my job, but I was doing Bug Management and this shit would come to hunt me anyways, so I always got a DEV of our team with me to look through it while he did it. The DEV had enough after three of those, since it was eating up his time and Mr. Jardananan never learned.

Higher Management is btw expecting 9 Pajeets to magically become good in half a year by Locals Code Reviewing them _while_ they do their regular job of coding the critical pieces of the application. It's mind numbing how far these people are away from the topic they manage.

"Kindly remove the above post and provide feedback to the same."

I fucking despise indian english at this point.

"We can discuss above issues in a seperate meeting"
"kindly provide details to above issues so I can truly understand the problem"

>Locals Code Reviewing
fuck, just kill me

cartoon girl made funny
clapping hands to you, sir

"it is a pleasure to work with you sir I highly value your kindness"

That number is bit misleading.

There are about 300K college students in Finland total. If we divide that into on a 4:3:2:1 ratio(as the dropout rate is ~50%), 120k(year 1), 90k, 60k, and 30K. I don't have a number on STEM vs NONSTEM degrees, so I'll assume 50%. Lets assume 50% of the STEM are into engineers, so now we have 30K - 50% - 50%. That's 7.5K engineers per year. Lets give a generous 50% competent engineers who can code efficiently. That's 3750 engineers per year produced from Finland.

75000 vs 3750.

>company orders shit from india
>gets delivered
>its shit
>company where I work gets hired to fix
Happens all the time, India hat shit coders and POs dont know how to articulate their demands.

Classrooms
youtube.com/watch?v=CRUa_09IOVU

"Explain about System.out.println();"
youtube.com/watch?v=lGHrhtuxnOc

>third world
I live in Malaysia, which is not India, but definitely third world. Our IT/CS students learn pro-copy/paste-gramming, nothing more. The top 2% that learn programming in college/university are the ones that learn it despite the curriculum, not because of it. We have a lot of engineers and IT graduates, because people understand that that is where the $$$ is, not because the third world is teeming with elite geniuses.

The lessons learned from the FizzBuzz experiments apply all over the world. Only the top 0.5% of IT job seekers are worth hiring, regardless of whether they are German/Indian/Chinese/Zimbabwean.

>ten minutes on sout

dis gunna be gud

holy shit his voice

>was expecting a decently deep voice since the moustache threw me off

>2007

>Windows 2000
>VB 6.0

Jesus Christ

POs being shit is one thing, but you simply cannot expect Indians to do what SCRUM is supposed to do.

One of my DEV Buddies here explained to me that he specifically came for SCRUM since it puts decision making power to the DEVs, where it should belong, when it comes to stuff management usually isn't fit to touch, design decisions and stuff like that. I see how we would not be fit to do that since all the people we hire come fresh from their doctor degrees in physics and chemistry for some dumb reason. I have a bachelor in business (so even more of a meme), but at least I can judge this to be misguided.

Anyways, he said SCRUM is cool when you have a competent DEV team, you get your sprint cycle to do stuff and whenever you touch the code to add functionality, you also refactor/optimise that section so in the end you have a slick and well-refined product since your way of approaching stuff can differ even over the day.

But Indians expect basically Waterfall from us. They are unable to ask critical questions if they are not mentioned in the PBI, neither can they think of sensible solutions to suggest. So here we are dictating them exactly which service calls to use in what manner.

SCRUM only works with really experienced people and all we get is fresh from uni pajeet trash.

I guess this is what you show when asked PICS OR GTFO

The third world will always be more shit than the first world, but don't believe for a second India represents the third world.

Pic related is a HIGH SCHOOL degree with focus in Informatics from Uruguay, already seems more advanced to me than some of the shit I'm seeing here that is supposedly college level.

Of course we have universities too that are nothing compared to this.

>First division
>523 marks out of 800
LOL they can't even fucking divide. In America, that constitutes a 65%, or a D.

no, that's just an outstanding achievement in pakistan

>Be Automation Dev
>Automating with good code
>2016
>Sorry user we are outsourcing all of this to India you can join the support team though
>Supporting Pajeet's """Software""", Job markets shit because Pajeet
>Kill me

to be fair, he really did try to show you how java is put together

Sounds like people in this thread don't get enough Bob n vegene

>content writers for my site are very busy
>hire pajeet writers for more content
>now writers are just as busy rewriting everything the pajeets made
It took me like 6 months to stop using pajeets.

Surprise, you get what you pay for

It took me a second, i thought he wrote "Clam Tent" on the white board.

No wonder windows is shit

>microsoft have indians everywhere now coding windows 10

>last day as a dba, moving on to greener pastures
>about to leave for a "thank you" lunch
>pajeet 'dba' ims me
>"hey before you leave can you modify this sp to do this or create a new one and create these tables pulling data from others thx"
>tell him that I don't have access to databases anymore
>"oh ok no problem please write the code here so I can copy and paste it into the dbm"

Fucking pajeets I swear.

IBM does it way more than Microsoft.

>third world
Or more accurately called a subhuman populace.

They're paid not to get it. Management many times are literal bean counters who get bonuses for cutting cost and putting the painful clean up work on the shoulders of a few sound engineers who they underpay. It's the way the whole industry works. I can name a number of prominent tech companies in the valley who do this. They also conveniently sneak projects off to India once all of the design and major dev work is done and regularly lay people off. When places like India fuck it up enough they hire engineers for a year or so to clean it up and then lay them off again. Big tech companies have a natural layoff rate of the bottom 5-15%. In cases in which it centers on the upper percentiles, it's the clean up crew engineers.

This and many other things will serve as their undoing. Everything eventually comes full circle.

Yet interviews across the board are structured for the copy/pasta memorization engineers.
Really makes you think

In the first world, interested teens learn this on their own via tinkering.

Tons of silicon valley companies do this shit.. Just about every one of them. Some more/less than others.

> Vmware is full of pajeets
> Oracle
> Microsoft
> Intel
> Google

Apple is a bit based.
You could detail just about every tech company and make a link. Predominantly white management decided to cut costs w/ a blind eye towards quality and their companies future in order to boost profits and their paychecks.. The fallout is occurring some many years later.

youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU

>I live in Malaysia, which is not India, but definitely third world. Our IT/CS students learn pro-copy/paste-gramming, nothing more.
It's like this almost everywhere with people who are in it for money

>engineer
>programming
Wew lad CS cucks can’t be this delusional

India has a lot of "software engineers"

also many engineers are somewhat competent in mathlab, autocad lisp, or python

Yeah but there's 7 gozzilion of 'em so they'll be fine,5%'s a fair amount.

On top of that the older Indians that got here back in late 80s early 90s, now have managerial roles. these people aren’t unbiased and would rather hire another h1b Indian from their own province than just another American. I know of a few companies that are currently facing problems amongst their talented pool of employees because the managerial Indians keep hiring subpar h1b workers that can’t do the job they were hired for.

Indian and Paki universities are filled with cheaters
What's worse is that they aren't even ashamed of it, it's just normal.

Imagine if something like Dr. Bombay was made in Sweden today...

Great, so they can do 99% of engineering jobs.

If 10% of engineering graduates are competent that's still hundreds of thousands

Whats going on in this pic?

1/20th of tens of millions is still a whole lot of people willing to do the job in the USA for under 30k a year.

Think of it this way:
H1-B visa hires are willing to do technical skilled work for the price of a competent cook (or less). These people signal the labor market that a programmer is worth a food worker.

independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/parents-risk-lives-climbing-exam-buildings-to-help-hundreds-of-indian-students-cheat-10120933.html

This doesn't even apply to just engineering/programming jobs, I'm a support technician at a fortune 100 company. We have multiple layers of support and a bunch of different resolver groups (e.g. Outlook issues generally go to the Exchange group).

Recently they shifted from local technicians to a bunch of Pajeets for level 1 issues, through remote-in software.

Sometimes I'll be on the floor and have clients approach me about an issue which I'll then delegate through our ticketing system, and I will document the issue and describe step by step how Pajeet will be able to solve it. Guess what? 90% of the time they're unable to do so and bump it up to one of our local US engineers.

When will the high ups get that Pajeets are useless REEEEE

fucking this

t. pajeet

ain't even just computer engineers or programmers. 3rd world engineers of any discipline are inept.

shit the ones who come from across the sea to train in Europe or NA are cheaters who are incompetent

I've noticed the plagiarism in indian CS papers, where there are literally dozens of papers on identical subject matters, with it seems, full sections of papers copied wholesale or slightly reworded. The dead giveaway is that the papers are written in MS Word.

Is this referring software engineers? Otherwise I cant really see this being a problem for most engineers in a way it isnt already in first world countries

[0/1]
I worked at a startup for 12 months to help them with some plugins for their platform they wanted.

While there they also had some pajeet working remotely. reading through the PR's he made and issues that were made on the repo he was working on was nothing less than comedical.
he literally posted screenshots of browser windows with the console open proving there was no errors in the code while the CTO reported there were.

He just dissipated in thin air after some time and we never heard of him again.

Then some 5 months later they hire some pajeet who will actually in the office. fresh from india with a fake degree (the recruiter nor the person he had an interview with saw this).

He was to work on "machine learning" because he "had a degree in computer science".
At the same time we had a guy from a local uni. now this guy was a champ, while still in uni, he never seemed to miss a deadline and wrote code that i would consider really good.
Untill he had to work together with this pajeet.
In the beginning it was "ok", they got along and the pajeet did not behave to strangely.

untill one day.

>pajeet comes into work

>stays at desk for 20 minutes

>goes to ping pong room meant for relaxation

>plays ping pong by himself for like an hour

>CTO goes in to check what the fuck he was doing

>dude is completely lost and gets sent home

>he is supposed to have some exam in another uni to have him reevaluated (thank god we have that here).

>he gets the day off for it.

>its literally 10 minutes drive away from office.

>comes back next day without laptop (startup so we didn't have money for buying extra laptops)

>ask him why

>vague ass answer

>ask him how his reevaluation went

>he literally utters "oh, i didn't go, so i spent the day exploring the city"

>niggerwhat.mpg

>gets told to go home

>next day comes in

>fucker looks different than before. more stressed out .

>has talk with CTO.

>turns out he had done LSD and had a bad trip.

>82%
>A

[1/1]
>uhm what the fuck - CTO

> gets told to go home and not come back

>comes back next day because no locks or gates on office.

>claims he's donald trump.

>gets told to go home again.

>begs to stay and for CTO to hear him out.

>doesnt leave.

>buff guy from sales needs to fucking scare him out.

>gladthatsover.jpg

>ohfuckitwasnt.flac

>comes back 3 weeks later.

>looking for some barbera person/

>what.

>gets told to go away or the police would be called.

>google who this barbera is anyway.

>turns out to be ex wife of donald trump.

>fucking laughs for days.

>cs champ feels sorry because he might have brain damage.

>weeks pass.

>ohboi guess who it is.

>this time hes back to ask for "investors for his app idea".

we are at the back of a multi company office floor so he gets intercepted.

>they tell him to go away again.

>oh fuck this has to end

>CEO and CTO hatch plan to get him to police custody

>he comes back literally the same day.

>he doesnt know me that well so i have to act as an interested investor while the police make their way over.

>what is my life at this point.wav

>police finally arrive after 10 minutes of him telling me about his "linkedin facebook crossover".

>he gets taken into custody

>diagnosed with mental illness and gets sent back to india.

we never heard of him since

but the startup never learned and is now moving the entire dev team to portugal because "they are cheaper labour" cause all the local devs to quit (the only ones who know the platform and its code)

this company was such a meme my god.

How do I stop being a pajeet tier engineer? I want to get better, I constantly practice, but I don't know how to get over that hurdle.

>that hurdle

you're gonna have to be more specific than that niggy

low as standards, not even with a curve does that make sense. 82 is a low b at best

What are you practicing?

Have you read SICP and implemented yourself a Scheme yet?

Does one actually need to do that or is it a meme?
I'm an EE trying to learn to code, mainly C.
I don't quite *get* how to write optional and well laid out code.

I'm going for embedded programming so it's a skill I need.

>UC Berkley the university responsible for the faggot and trans shit
>propped up by Google
no surprises. Google must fucking die.

If you want to make good code then SICP

The only certificate that matters.

never have i seen such autism

I'm both impressed and horrified

You are the gayest fag on this board. Making diplomas for yourself, really?

Sure, that's why international math olympiads are won by slavs, chinese, and indians

What the fuck is that shit literally scriptkiddie tier

India hasn't placed well at IMO for ages. And they've never been top 5.

What the fuck is with this boards obsession with poos?

IT workers fear the pajeets. Actual programmers are largely unaffected by them though.

>Java Scripting

yeah, god forbid someone actually has fun with their hobby eh?

Ok, I'll read it.

Should I do the exercises? In what language

Did you know that Hong Kong has as many IMO gold medals as India?

Scheme of course. The Racket language has a sub-language designed for Scheme. docs.racket-lang.org/sicp-manual/

Ok, I'm going to do it. I want to stop being a shitter and be a well rounded engineer, thanks user.

82% in an A- in Canada, how does the US work?

90+% A
80-90% B
70-80% C
60-70% D
< 60% F

Filtered