/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

alkasar.online.fr/mesures/HifiMeDIY SABRE 24-96 DAC v1.htm
tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html
youtube.com/watch?v=vM64ZeK-vfQ
youtube.com/watch?v=kHkEFOzBVYU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sagiria a THOT

What headphones are best for hires audio?

HD600, obviously.

i regret everything

Is that.... is that TN?

Why does your camera suck and why is a generic anime background talking in subtitles?

HD600 idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?
There's nothing regrettable there, other than the custom cable you didn't need and got for the HD600. At least it's likely not expensive.

Is the elear worth buying? Is it actually competitive with the other 1k headphones?
Between the hd800,th900,t1, hifiman, etc etc I feel like it's just over hyped.

yes
because i spent all my money on hd600, fulla 2 and a schiit stack
the stock cable was way to long for my liking

>Fulla2, Modi2 and Magni2
>not Sabre DAC and Magni2
Yeah, I, too, would regret wasting $150 like that.

>Is the elear worth buying? Is it actually competitive with the other 1k headphones?
An inherently subjective and personal question. Only you can answer that. Ask about certain aspects of the headphone and see if they fit your wants well enough.

So, what do you think the Elear can do for you better than anything else?

its actually a modi 2 uber.

Yeah, I, too, would regret wasting $200 like that.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

I'm still looking for answers to this

There's only really 3 headphones worth buying in the $1000 range, LCD-2, HD800, and Elear. The T1 is plain bad, the TH900 is worse than the X00, and hifiman is, well hifiman.

Of the three worthwhile options, they're all solid choices.

what are some nice bluetooth headphones for under 100€?

>sabre DAC

Absolutely OK.

alkasar.online.fr/mesures/HifiMeDIY SABRE 24-96 DAC v1.htm it's objectively transparent

music is more demanding than test tones

Music is literally less demanding than test tones. It is literally much easier to hear faults in test tones than it is in music.

heey cutie the sexond best is HD 600 ;)

k go choose a headphone by listening to 10 second frequency sweeps and 1khz sine waves.

This is a reminder that expensive DACs are snakeoil: tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html
This is correct.

>Isn't 1.4 dB a pretty big difference? In a "pure tone", it would be quite noticeable. That's less the case when you're listening to regular music though, especially if the more sensitive 1 to 4 kHz tones are more accurately matched.

what should I get while I'm in Japan?
new headphones? idol CDs?

Thanks!

mdr-cd900st

Stax

>objectively transparent
A contradiction. Transparency is the statistical result of subjective inability to discriminate differences in stimuli.

>music is more demanding than test tones
>Music is literally less demanding than test tones
Neither statement is quite true, but the latter is more true as it is usually thought of.
Masking phenomenon suppresses more information as there are more maskers, harmonics and noise bands that compose musical sounds. Spectral peaks and dips can be for easily identified with a chirp or swept-frequency file.
The ear-brain combination is poor at discriminating absolute phase, but can distinguish delayed spectral copies by process of autocorrelation (or something like it). The audibly of reverberation is poor with a sinusoid, but better with more time-localized signals. A clap or any other impulse-like sound would be better suited.

We should make a /hpg/ headphone config collection for apo equalizer to fix all of the recommended headphones.

there should be more anime girls posters instead so i can get a cutie

Any of you have the aune x7s?
Does it get too hot if you leave it on?

Tell me why I shouldn't get this.

Audiophile trash.
Can tell right away with the socketed operationals, garbage pot.

I'm looking for a PC headset for both gaming and music. I'm deciding between the Hyper X Cloud 2 and the Arctis 5. I'm not looking at them from a "gaymur" perspective, but they seem to be the best for the price range I'm looking at.

Can anyone give input on the two as to which would be the better buy?

dozo

h-hi cutie, d-do you want to go on a date?

>still doesn't understand how HRTF works
Different ears create different resonances. One user's EQ settings will not work right for another user in the high frequencies.

Headsets represent exceptionally poor value for money and price/performance ratio. The Sup Forums default "headset" recommendation is a Philips SHP9500S and a V-Moda BoomPro.

I understand that, but they're hard to find retail where I live, so I'm looking for something relatively cheap and easy to acquire as I need it soon

Oh I'm aware, it's an inverse relationship and different for each person, but being able to smooth out certain things helps any headphone.

STAX

wow a sample of 4 people tested with shit sabre dac vs shit motherboard dac with a 300ohm headphones

What science is there to credit electrostatic headphone schemes over dynamic?

Sony mdr 1000x or Bose cq 35?

I hear Sonys can crack but they have better features and supposedly sound than the Bose...

HRTF is normally determined by a far off sound source. This has no importance to headphone listening.
The unique factors involved pertain more to interactions of the headphone with the pinna, the interference that results. A general correction can be made below the frequency range these dominate at.

>electrostatic vs dynamic
How? When you say dynamic, is it ribbon, psuedo-ribbon/planar dynamic, or moving coil?

I got myself a ground loop isolator, it removed the buzzing in my headphones but now things are a quieter, which is fine because i can just turn the volume up on my DAC/AMP but does this also degrade sound quality?

>How? When you say dynamic, is it ribbon, psuedo-ribbon/planar dynamic, or moving coil?

dynamic implicitly refers to voice coil dynamic in headphone chat unless we've established planar dynamic as part of the discussion.

What would be good headphones for ambient for ~100

Can I get a decent DAC/AMP combo for ~$100? Should I go for something used?

Fulla 2

Will they drive the HD600 memephones well?

hyperx

Yes

Thanks for the quick response user :)

i can vouch for the fulla 2, i use it and its great

What about the Fiio E10K? It's 25 dollaroos cheaper and has Prime shipping. Is the Fulla 2 worth going upto a 100?

Very complicated modding going on rn itt atm

>Is the Fulla 2 worth going upto a 100?
Absolutely.
>e10k
Chink trash. Insufficient power for HD600.

Fx audio dac x6 is the only logical option

>Insufficient power for HD600.
False.

I need to resolder my SRH440's driver wires
What AWG should I use?

Maybe but it's still grossly under-powered for the price. The fulla 2 is weak as well when compared to the dac x6. It really needs to be the default suggestion for just about every headphone that isn't notoriously thirsty in which case magni 3.

>dac x6
>really needs to be the default suggestion for just about every headphone that isn't notoriously thirsty
The DAC X6 is pretty good for the HD600, sure, but it's N.G. as a default suggestion.
The reason is its output impedance is high. This makes it a poor match for headphones that are not high impedance.

True that is a consideration. However most of the time when people buy their first amp it's for something like a hd600, 250ohm beyer, etc where it is ideal.
Do you think the o2 is a direct upgrade from the dac x6?
I would like to upgrade my source if it's worth it and was considering the o2+some dac or a nfb11.

>However most of the time when people buy their first amp it's for something like a hd600, 250ohm beyer, etc where it is ideal.
For these, sure. But these recommendations should always come conditioned.
DAC-X6 just isn't a general purpose amp where you can just plug random headphones. Special care should be taken.
>Do you think the o2 is a direct upgrade from the dac x6?
The Magni3 outclasses it at $99.
>but no DAC, I'm talking about O2+ODAC
The fulla2 has a good dac built in. Else, if you want to pair a DAC with the Magni3, there's an assortment of near-free audibly transparent DAC dongles.

Is it possible that there is an audible difference between the dac x6 and magni 3 on an hd600 or dt880 250 ohms aside from amount of volume?

Impossible? Nah.
Unlikely? Very.
>why magni3 then
Because DAC-X6 isn't a general purpose amp. Its output impedance isn't low enough.

I think you might be confusing two anons. I already own the x6. It's just like every other headphone community except this one things different amps sound way different and you need to consider "pairings" and shit and it's so tempting to go along with that train of thought. That's why I wanted the NFB11, it looks like a monster, and I feel like it will make my shit sound better.

Just ordered the Fiio a5 and Zishan Z1 to use my HD650 away from home. Did I fuck up?

>Drinking JB and listening to End of Evangelion OST

>different amps sound way different and you need to consider "pairings"
I found a guy in head fi stating that limited edition DT990 with black pads sound different than the original gray

The first things I can think of:

Constant charge push-pull enables good linearity. So does the convention of closing off the cavity with the diaphragm. That also enables excellent bass extension.
Driven over the surface means the first wave mode is very high up in frequency, ideally.
The design is overall simpler than a comparable moving coil, which has more effective acoustic components.

Some time ago I felt very touched with the track 13.

A big knowledge boy will now come into the thread and tell you that a well implemented dynamic will concede nothing to an electrostat, and is in fact a damn sight better because of the superior bass impact. In fact, electrostatic push-pull is just one way of implementing a transducer, affording no technical benefit as implementation is the more important factor to sound.

sounds great on my hd600!

youtube.com/watch?v=vM64ZeK-vfQ

>A big knowledge boy will now come into the thread and tell you
I have no idea what you mean by this.

tfw bought 2 meme speakers. both cant do mids.

The LSR305 does fantastic mids

Maybe your room needs acoustic treatment.

It's the better of the two but it sounds a recessed or some coloring to it.

near-field two feet away and on books ear level with bass trim set to -2. I might need to eq the 9k+ area a little. The HF trim affects too much range. I'm no expect but maybe I do need better placement but I'm stuck with this for now.

Is that my wife!?

>falling for the speakercuck meme

>spend close to $400 on an HD600 and an amp
>to listen to that shit tier atrocity
Jesus fuck I seriously hope you're joking

I would think about desk reflections or reflections from a nearby wall or shelf for midrange issues. It doesn't have anything like that in the free field.
I seem to recall the LSR305 had a little bump around 10kHz or so.

Buy some acoustic foam and treat your sidewalls and behind the speakers. Should help.

have you heard what actual good electronic sounds like?
youtube.com/watch?v=kHkEFOzBVYU

>my music taste>your music taste
Go to

What if I told you headphones threads are just as bad as watch and smartphone threads and that you're the reason Sup Forums has gone to shit?

accurate

Thank you. Appreciate the review. How would you rate these threads?

Sup Forums was always shit you friggin normie

0/8 do h8 m8 not gr8

LCD-2 + Teak user here. Do I buy stax or an hd800 first?

HD 800 m8. I'd suck a dick to get one.

I think I might do that, I'm not all that interested in the cheap staxs and I don't want to cannibalize my other headphones just to get the better stax

Shure SE215 Bluetooth vs BeatsX
>inb4 muh audiophile quality, frick wireless plebs