Now that the dust has settled, what does Sup Forums think of Threadripper?

Now that the dust has settled, what does Sup Forums think of Threadripper?

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/11866/gskill-announces-new-amd-compatible-trident-z-rgb-kits
forums.anandtech.com/threads/anands-core-x-power-consumption-results-unique-on-the-internet.2514160/
a.co/0o2vzuy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ripped Intel a new asshole in HEDT.

Most of Sup Forums have no need for HEDT and won't buy it, it's all just for meming and shitposting as far as this board is concerned. Note how after the actual release all the talk about Threadripper died down. Same thing will happen with the coming release of the 7980XE.

Its not that great and when it comes down to it of you really need that many cores, the xeons are still better the incompatibility of the ryzen with many ram chipsets is simply a deal breaker.

Tl;dr for what it does its not good/ worth it get a Xeon

16 core Xeons can't hit 4.1ghz

Wait for Threadripper 2 next year. Better IPC and higher clocks.

aside from the NPT issue its superior in every way

anandtech.com/show/11866/gskill-announces-new-amd-compatible-trident-z-rgb-kits

My friend had one for his build, was a cunt to troubleshoot because of the ram incompatibility issue (ram wasn't on the list of compatible models but turned out to not actually be the problem) and the support for win7 was so bad that USB mice didn't work in the installer, apparently that's fairly common but not the really kind of info you'd hear before you buy it

hello there

>buys threadripper
>uses windows 7 on it
Cmon man, I know its not your build but give a nigger some advice.

Last time the jews were so devastated was 1943.

>windows 7 don't run no more herp derp
That happens on Intel platforms, too

fuckers

Useless

>threadripper
>windows 7

You mean firestarter?

Threadripper uses less power than core i9 7900.

Difference is you can get w7 ports that are preloaded with the official AMD w7 drivers. Issue is that the windows generic drivers can't utilize any IO.

300w for 16c 4.0ghz vs the 7900x's 400w for a 4.5ghz OC. That's a 33% increase in power draw for 25% higher clockspeed. This would sound pretty damn reasonable if you forget the difference of 6 cores. Can't wait to see how poorly intel's high core count cpus clock.

You might not even be able to OC the 18 core proc with the current set of x299 motherboards. They're going to need a really beefy VRM configuration.

Are you by any chance retarded?

It seems you have lost your lid, m8.

Hi Brian!

Apage Satanas.
It's true that the usual shitposters don't need it but the value/performance combo is quite a fresh air for some people, so it actually did have some decent sales for a while.
If compiling a lot, it can be a good tool.
I'd say the main current problems are expensive motherboards that make the CPU effectively more expensive than it is. Hopefully something for $200-225 eventually appears.

It's a toss, depends on the piece and probably also motherboard. If it enforces TDP, i9-7900X will eat less, if it doesn't and lets the chip run free or even uses turbo enhancement, then Threadripper eats less.

You're a toss.

Sup Forums has been infiltrated by AMD marketers for months now, this much is obvious

2-3 weeks from now watch these same shills attempt to shit on Coffee Lake once the tech influencers shit their benchmarks out

It's hilarious when Sup Forums of all places are more level headed and impartial when recommending PC builds as opposed to here where posting an Intel or Nvidia build will get you vilified for being a """sheep"""

Oh you'll be able to OC them. Just probably not much, Maybe into the mid 3GHz range with a 2x8Pin motherboard.

Stock vs stock the 1950x has a lower power draw under load. If you're not allowing CPU current to exceed the rated tdp, then the 7900x will micro throttle and misreport the operating frequency, getting similar or worse performance of a lower stable OC. Vega does the same thing, hell Pascal starts thermal throttling at around 50C, that's why it's so efficient. People who flash XOC bioses onto pascal cards which removes these limitations see significantly higher power draw for marginally higher clock speeds.

decent enough, though I'm still holding off on one for now.

> no non-X 1920 (12c) for ~$650
> no 3200 MHz ECC UDIMMs
> no IOMMU issues not totally ironed out yet
> no decent consumer Vega with SR-IOV yet for ultimate Windows game VM sandboxing

I mean X299 is even less what I'm looking for, but TR isn't there for me yet.

The USB issue is well beyond "common". Stop being bad at computers.

>Sup Forums of all places
Imagine being so devoid of self-awareness that you unironically side with Sup Forums on a persuasive basis.

Yeah but as I said, depending on what the motherboard's policy is (and also what task you measure power draw in), the CPUs trade blows.

There were some reviews linked up here and it was 50/50 or maybe 60/40 split with i9 or TR having lower power consumption. 1950X is overall faster though so that is still fucking great result. It usually has better perf/power ratio in most of the tests even when the review measures bigger delta in power. Stuff with AVX2 where i9 shines (basically just x265) also eats much more power so the IPC advantage doesn't show in efficiency comparison.

Crap, I meant to give a link:
here were some reviews linked up here in this thread: forums.anandtech.com/threads/anands-core-x-power-consumption-results-unique-on-the-internet.2514160/

having to restart your computer to play games everytime seems dumb

Thread ripped Intel ass

Not really, the performance difference is small, so unless you are autistic about it, you can just not care

Mine can hit 4GHz tho.

Highest clocking 16 core Xeon only hits 3.7ghz, and because I doubt you have something from Skylake-SP, then it'll cap out at 3.6ghz. These are just single core boost speeds as well.

good but flawed
great price/performance

X399's IOMMU issues are probably fixable via a software update and I have no doubts that AMD will patch them sooner or later.

I'm not too sure about MxGPU/SR-IOV though. This feature has traditionally been server-only and server firepros are pretty much unuseable for regular use due to the no-fan server cooling and lack of display outputs. AMD's page doesn't say anything about SR-IOV on "regular" firepros and if they don't support it, consumer gpus most certainly won't do it either.

Wendell has said something about testing it on firepros on his X299 passthrough stream yesterday, but he hasn't said anything about when exactly he wants to do that.

Waiting for the 12nm refresh. I should have money by then.

I'm just in it for the intel drama
Must have cost intel a fortune to create the 18 core abomination just to have a bigger e-penis
Waiting for sue to drop a 32/64 threadripper week before launch of the 18/36 intel

The actual state of an Intel shill

Won't happen on the current sTR4 socket

Brought sorely needed competition in the HEDT market.

Intel no longer can just coast on minor evolutions of post-Sandy Bridge-E designs.

>Sup Forums makes reccomendations based on MUH VIDYA despite i7-7700K not providing any benefit unless you're pairing it with an ultra expensive 1080 ti and 1080p 144hz gayman monitor
>Sup Forums makes reccomendations based on price/performance and using your PC as something more than a glorified game console

cant compete with the DUAL CORE HEDT

It could work, obviously it would be crippled compared to EPYC since only two dies would have RAM and pcie lanes connected, the other two would be accessing resources over infinity fabric.

it's a fucking shame, since PCIe pass-through is still garbage compared to what SR-IOV could bring to the table, and Vega already supports it anyway.

I'm sure MS would be pretty fucking pissed though if AMD was going out of its way to help shove desktop Windows even more into VM client territory.

>incompatibility of the ryzen with many ram chipsets
shit, how bad is it? I guess it's too much to expect hardware to just work in 2k17

Stop spreading false info, ryzen has been updated to support 4000mhz ram

Intel might do something like that, but I doubt AMD would release something so crippled.

This is always true, of basically every platform, forever. Why are you people so insistent on waiting indefinitely?

> (You)
>
>Stop spreading false info, ryzen has been updated to support 4000mhz ram

Good joke

Unless you're actually going to use all those cores, it doesn't really make sense to buy. 8-cores is plenty now that lazy-ass devs are being forced to use parallel instructions.

It will get 7nm 24cores though, if the Starship roadmap leak holds true.

I kinda wonder how the fuck Zen2 will cope with a 6:1 cores to DDR channels ratio.
4:1 already feels a little tight.

Broadwell-EX was exactly that and worked fine.

I considered one, but realistically I don't need all those cores. Decided an i7 7700k made the most sense (I rebuilt my PC last year with the i7 upgrade in mind).

> Broadwell-EX dindu nuffin

topjej.
> t. HFTfag

Legitimate question here but why the fuck do people dump so much money into a single desktop? Why would you spend close to $6k on a maxed our system when you can buy something that's very fast for $1.2k like a.co/0o2vzuy ?

I have an i7 6700k system with 64GB of RAM as my main desktop with a 980ti, and contemplated replacing it with a TR setup because I am constantly working with automation/development and VMs, but after looking at the cost I can't make sense of it.

My old VM nodes were a pair of i7 2600k machines (old desktops) with 32gb of RAM each with 10g cards, but I picked up 3 of those systems (I opted for the 2x e5-2687w v2 chips) for literally $1800 a pop. I know After effects has multi-machine support, and pretty much any other software that does real work can scale with a cluster.