Ok, real shit now, should I actually buy a ThinkPad or is it just a meme?

Ok, real shit now, should I actually buy a ThinkPad or is it just a meme?

Cuz the T420 has got some good specs and a good price, but I'm not sure about the size and the fact that it has no HDMI port.
Can some actually tell me if it's a good buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B5S52C
pcworld.com/article/2984716/laptop-computers/how-to-transform-your-laptop-into-a-gaming-powerhouse-with-an-external-graphics-card.html
youtube.com/watch?v=IkKvLkwxUrU
youtube.com/watch?v=dZoba2jrM_0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have one, the thing I love the most is that it never fucking heats even though I have like three docker instances running at the same time and the battery is pretty good

buy a 530 if you want a bigger one

shit screen

Those are some good qualities. I don't want it burning my balls and having it constantly changing, but the HDMI thing still bugs me

Yes. If youre looking for a new laptop, go for it. Thinkpads are unironically the quintessence of what a mobile computer should be
>no HDMI outlet
Get a converter or plug it into a "smart" tv with a USB port

Don't pass it up (unless it's for a x220 tablet imho) and for the love of Sup Forums, DON'T GET A G A Y M E R LAPTOP. Waste of money, trendy pieces of aging garbage like a thot in time; Just build a damn desktop.

Yea, I was thinking about a converter, but I wasn't sure if it would worsen the output resolution. I'm on a strict budget and it's also the first laptop I'm buying out of my own pocket, so I'm cautious.

> first laptop
Dude, srsly, of you got a good deal on a Thinkpad (especially under $500 for specs comparable to other laptops) don't pass it up. You can see in another bread I made here that I fell for the dedicated gpu laptop meme. If you wanna a hard working digger machine, that's what customizable desktops were made for. Otherwise, for a mobile pc, a thinkpad is the comfy waifu you need, not the 4k resolution Russian/chink bride slut

Are there any ThinkPads that are astronomically better than others or does the model not really matter?

it has a terrible screen but is pretty much very good in all other regards
I own one

Terrible in what way?

No the TN display will hurt your eyes. It's such poor quiality. T440s/p and up you can get a 1080 IPS screen.

Really, even tho thinkpads are the messiahs, within them, it just comes down to preferences. 4gb ram or 8gb? i5 third gen or m7 fifth gen? Smaller SSD or bigger HDD? Just weigh all your options as if you were buying a car and remember its not meant to be a Starbucks whore magnet with 8k resolution and SLI GPUs; it's just suppose to compute on the go. One or a few things its suppose to do well.

But as I said, imo, a X220 tablet is my poison

It's a tn pannel
the viewing angle isn't good. The color isn't good at all. And if you don't think that matters then you haven't tried this one before. It has decent brightness and it's a matte finish so its not terrible but it is bad.

btw there are some chinks who have made replacement screens for thinkpads before like 1080p ips mods and stuff but why they don't make one for the shittiest screen of any popular thinkpad boggles my mind.

Yes, they're fine. They get the job done. You won't play much in the way of games, but you sure will get work done. They have pretty mediocre screens, don't expect the same quality of an MBP. But you can get them in IPS, and upgrading a 1366x768 panel to 1080p is shit easy.

You can upgrade the **20 and **30 (I.E. T420, X220 model Thinkpads with 16gb of RAM. Lenovo's documentation says it won't work, but they have sandy bridge cpus and chipsets that can use up to 16gb.

This is the RAM kit I used in my X220 and X230 to bump them to 16gb.

smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B5S52C

You can also throw in a 2.5 inch SATA SSD no problem.

20 series Thinkpads are my favorite, they were the last model to have the old style keyboard, have decent CPUs, and can take 16gb of RAM.

30 series Thinkpads are great, they just have the newer style chiclet keyboards.

40 series Thinkpads are objectively shit, don't buy them. The trackpoint (nipple mouse) has some buttons to left, right, and middle click placed above the touchpad so you can click with your thumbs while your fingers are on the home row. In the 40 series Thinkpads they made these part of the trackpad and it's shit. Pic related. They stopped this almost immedidately.

50 and newer are chink'd laptops, they're not terrible but have lost much of the IBM blood they had when Lenovo bought the Thinkpad division.

X Thinkpads are smaller ones, they're not bad but are very limited in screen resolution. In older models you're confined to 1366x768. You can get it in IPS though, which helps.

T Thinkpads are 14 or 15 inches inches and suitable for general use.

W Thinkpads (now P) are thicc desktop replacements. I wouldn't buy one personally.

tl;dr: X220, X230, T420, T430. Avoid any model where the second to last digit is a '4' (E.g. X240, T440).

T420 screen is horrible.
But you can put an Alienware screen that is $45 that looks great.

T400 has a way better screen.

displayport -> HDMI adaptors are cheap. I've got a T420 with and 8gb ram and an SSD, I think it might be the best value laptop possible. It kicks the shit out of stuff that's 3 times the price. If it broke two years from now I'd get another one.

this is true though.

What can i expect from the Intel HD 3000 when it comes to games?
Like normalfag tier games.

>40 series Thinkpads are objectively shit, don't buy them. The trackpoint (nipple mouse) has some buttons to left, right, and middle click placed above the touchpad so you can click with your thumbs while your fingers are on the home row. In the 40 series Thinkpads they made these part of the trackpad and it's shit. Pic related. They stopped this almost immedidately
you're a fucking idiot

a $12 touchpad swap and you get something better than the 420/430 that can use a 1080p IPS display and a quad core processor as stock option

Gaming, big server setups, 8k rendering, and crytpto-mining should only be for desktops anyways.

> lwew lad, you'll be a dumb screenlet without 16K NANOSCOPIC RESOLUTION!!!!!!
Well
> screen turns on
> you can see what you're doing just fine
Wow, what a loss, can't 3d render Girlfriends4Ever in 700MP. Wtf I hate quintessential mobile computers now!

but linux drivers struggle with those fancy screens t

h

o

why are you being so autistic?

Yes

Yes they do desu

Because I'm on my lunch break

>resolution is the only thing that defines screen quality

holy shit you're stupid

forgot pic

These are just guesses, I don't play games on my Thinkpads. You can use the expresscard slot to connect a discrete GPU, here's an article:

pcworld.com/article/2984716/laptop-computers/how-to-transform-your-laptop-into-a-gaming-powerhouse-with-an-external-graphics-card.html

League on medium, CSGO and Dota 2 on low.

Overwatch probably will not run at full speed.

Civilization 4 will probably run on medium, 5 on low, 6 on low.

Emulators for consoles before Sixth generation will probably run full speed depending on the game.

Rocket league will probably not run full speed.

Skyrim will probably run on low, Oblivion will run on medium, OpenMW will run full speed on max quality.

Call of Duty 4 will probably be playable but newer CoDs will be more dicey, especially after MW2.

T450 prices are lower by hundreds you fool.

дa

> only caring about screen quality
This isn't a monitors general /thread
/out/

it has no HDMI because it has DisplayPort which is better

>t450
>soldered ulv shit

T400 900p or T420 768p if screen quality is a concern?

just paid ~230 CAD + shipping for an X201 on, ebay, looks pretty ok and it's gonna be my school comp
it's replacing my toshiba satellite laptop that's lasted me a good 4 or 5 years, but the fan's gone on it so it's past its prime
will update in the thinkpad general when it arrives, pretty hyped ngl

Is a t420 enough for gaming on low settings? Nothing crazy, things like GTA V or WoW. I don't care about muh hair physics or anything, as long as things run at 40FPS or so.

>gaming on a laptop

Yeah yeah I know, muh gaymen laptops and all that, but I don't pretend to be some pro gamer or anything, I just want it to handle the occasional game well enough.

You will definitely not be running GTAV on that old thinkpad. Get a Acer Aspire E15.
$350
1080p
7-9 hours battery
Can run Overwatch @ 60 FPS

youtube.com/watch?v=IkKvLkwxUrU

If your heart's set on GTAV you'd need at least a T430 or T530 with Quadro graphics (which are equivalent to a GT630M)

youtube.com/watch?v=dZoba2jrM_0

The one with i3-5005U? I noticed there's an AMD version also

Any news about Ryzen thinkpads?

>no numpad

There's also one with an Intel quad-core CPU and a dedicated Nvidia GPU
Not sure which one to go with

>nobody gives a shit

numpad is essential

Can somebody post that picture with a ThinkPad on a space station and a bunch of burned MacBooks?

Numpad is on the W700 series 17 inch with the classic keyboard and all 15.6 inch models from the W540/T540 onward

That one has a i3-7100U . There is another version with better specs for $200 bucks more with a 2gb Nvidia 940MX.

E5-575G-57D4
i5-7200U
256 SSD

I give a shit

Which thinkpad has this
1080p IPS
around 5 lbs

The W series is like 6 pounds.

The screen is awful.
Like really awful.
However, you can upgrade the panel, there's lots of info on this if you search around.

I got my eyes on a T430 but should I reconsider and go for a T420? I know the keyboard is better but I can always switch keyboards. Also, the possibility for a screen upgrade in the 420 seems significant but I'm not sure I'd ever do that because I'm poor already

I can tell you one thing
I was recently "repairing" really old ThinkPad (10+YO probably)
The only thing that I had to do was replacing thermal paste since the old one was really shity and CPU started overheating so much that I couldn't even get into Bios
After that it works as new
What was even more surprising owner is a smoker and laptop is used in car workshop and it was still clean inside

So my T430 has taken quite a beating and I'm in the market for a new one.

Trying to decide between a 3rd gen i5 vs i7.

As I understand it, the difference should be minor for most things. But I'd like to try hooking up an external gpu. Might the i7 at least help reduce some of the potential bottlenecking in any significant way?

Since I live in a small, far away country, shipping from Amazon or similar sites is not really an option. However I found a bunch on a local Craigslist-like site, could you please help me decide? Here are my options:

>E5-573-36BA
i3-5005U @ 2.0 GHz CPU
Intel HD 5500 GPU
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB HDD

>E5-532G-P4VE
Intel Pentium Quad-core N3700 @ 2.4GHz CPU
nVidia GeForce 920M GPU
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB HDD

>E5-511G-P4LF
Intel Pentium Quad-core N3540 @ 2.1-2.6 GHz CPU
nVidia GeForce 810M GPU
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB HDD

They're all refurbished and cost about the same.
Thanks in advance.

>fat
>shit screen
>plastic
>VGA port

Stop drinking so much Sup Forumsin and just buy a Macbook

thickness just means it's easier to swap parts yourself. I will never buy into a "ultra flat" laptop

Definitely the second one since it has a GPU if you are looking to game.

The biggest indictment of gaming laptops is that $200 will get you an i5-2400 HP, Dell or Lenovo desktop plus a GeForce 1050 that will drop right in and that system will shit on almost every laptop ever made

Use the money left over to buy a T420/X220 for actual mobile use

Thinkpad T42 was based af! Your evaluation was too subjective.
I lent mine to elder family with a fresh copy of XP when their desktop shit the bed. They loved it so much they went scumbag on me, pretended I had gifted it to them and didn't bother getting themselves a new desktop. I loved that device. Favorite laptop ever, but I didn't have the balls to tell elders to cut the shit and hold up their end of the bargain. One day I'll get a new one but I don't want to be disappointed.

new thinkpad, not a t42. It had its day in the Sun.

>fat
Modular you moron, also it wont break easily. My T420 was subject to serious abuse over the years (I pretty much travel for a living and it must have been tossed around by multiple people on the daily), not a scratch.

>shit screen
Honestly, arguable. People told me to not get this modle because of its "shit screen", but I honestly dont think its bad at all.

>plastic
High quality plastic, but only on the outside.
Read up on how thinkpads are built.

>VGA port
what else do you need? the fuck

Don't know about the T420, but the X220 has an extremely shit standard screen.

As for the VGA port, that shit should die off, the quicker the better. DisplayPort or get the fuck out.

Actually, the VGA port is currently the most sophisticated technology in the world, each one is incredibly cheap and is ultra powerful, it's like comparing C to Java, VGA is better than DisplayPort, HDMI, you name it. Higher performance, more mhz (this means data capacity dummy) ahahaa so STFU.

VGA is Superior, even for Gaming

??? In denial buddy? classic HDMI poster

>HDMI
>clearly said DisplayPort or get the fuck out

Nigga, please. At least try.

Not him but it is, Problems are Quality and Max resolution are based in the cable instead a standard.
Also Analog is discontinued.

Het

that's not a good price user
I hope its in great condition

Buy an adapter or an HDMI-Displayport cable.

>buying adapters
If I wanted a laptop that lacked ports I might as well buy the 2017 MacBook Pro. Oh well, I guess I'll just buy a Surface Laptop.

> or an HDMI-Displayport cable.

Didn't read?

Come to the dark side, user.

>Want to buy T420
>Scared about all those bad screen reviews

>Battery is pretty good
>Never heats

nice bait, but youre actually misleading op's good intentions

Honestly not that bad, for the price it's by far the best laptop on the market. I've had mine for 3 years and it hasn't let me down.

Do you have the 768p or the 900p version?

Bought the 768p one but turns out they shipped the 900p one so I lucked out real hard on that one, saved about 100 kangaroo bucks on that.

thinkpad is probably the best Sup Forums meme but it only gets better with arch on it.

i just got a t420 (8gb, 128gb ssd, i5) for 290 CAD and im really happy with pretty much everything with it. although sometimes it gets HOT AS FUCK

hdmi port was also my priority but carrying an adapter in my bag is not completely terrible and only like 10 bucks

Anybody know how to get the best possible gaming out of a t420 i-5 2430m? Should I just upgrade the CPU to an i7 quad core or a i7 dual core? Im not going to get the nvidia dgpu for it but i'd upgrade the CPU. I'm thinking of setting up an eGPU though. Still need to upgrade ram and get an SSD. Plz help I'd like to run GTA V if I can without eGPU or some other games.

no it's not a meme. I've been burning cds and dvds with my t400 among other things. Battery is solid even being old. they are a great value

Your CPU is not the bottleneck but the IGPU.
The best you can do without getting a eGPU is set up dual-channel RAM.

WHATS THE ABSOLUTE BEST THINKPAD FOR ELECTRIC ENGIE, ASIDE FROM THAT I JUST WANT IT TO RUN DOLPHIN AND 1080p VIDEO

i have been asking the same question since 2013 and i get no decent answers

Ahhh that's what I was thinking. And the nvidia t420 dGPU is basically worthless nowadays so no use in that, ill probably get an eGPU for this machine then. Any recommendations for a thinkpad that can run games decently at least? 500 or less if possible

Then dont get a thinkpad.

Thinkpad are more business related than gaming related so no gaming GPUs (Instead GTX cards you get Quadro and Firepro GPUs for example).

Get a cheap MSI laptop with a recent GPU that isnt GTX 940M.
As long it has a I5 it will be good enough for gaming.
Get Acer as your last option.
Avoid HP because they have planned obsolescence (BGA problems, this has been a thing since 2009 with them).

Jesus Christ, stop shouting.

Yep

The reason why there's no hdmi because DP is free

It's fine just get an adapter

HDMI is a meme user
The screens are really shit, bad colors and bad viewing angles but you can compensate with the 180 degree hinge as you can tilt it to what ever angle you want. Also if you're buying a T420 I'd recommend you get the 1600x900 display

Other than that everything else is topnotch. Battery, keyboard, performance, thermals I'd even say the speakers are good. (At least on my T430)

If you're planning doing some gayming I suggest you get a T430 though. The newer igpu in ivy bridge cpus really make a huge difference. Video is me playing phantom pain on my T430. I had to slightly tweak the shadows to get it fully working but it's playable

i got the thinkpad x220 and it's a great machine

upgrading from a macbook pro

Pretty much, yeah
I've seen comments from both sides here, people saying it's shit to people saying it's fine. I guess I'll just judge for myself.

Lenovo laptops with chiclet keyboards branded as "Thinkpad" aren't thinkpads. keep that in mind when you buy one.It shows the drop in production quality and you can pinpoint the moment they started cutting corners
Best setup is a thinkpad T420 with a replaced better screen and a SSD .

I can take some heating and charging, I just want it to bearable at least.

Uhmmmm...
NO!
The X230 and T430 are still just as good as the X220/T420.
the **30 Thinkpads still have the classic aesthetics, durability, and functionality of the **20 and earlier.
The keyboard might be chiclet but the chiclets on the **30 are the best of the more modern Thinkpads because they are much less cramped, as pic related shows.
Also, the **30 are the only ones that include BOTH backlight AND thinklight.

This picture makes me sad

Yeah , you're right, I just dislike the chiclet design of keyboards as they're the prime indicators of normalfaggotry, Also I'd advice that you DELET this , it reminds me how normalfags stole everything dear to me and warped it beyond recognition be it games, tech or anything else

Personally, I like chiclet much more, its easier to clean and you have a greater area for presses, what the problem though is the layout. If only they made a 7 row chiclet thinkpad... *sigh*