Was Unity the pinnacle of UI design?

Was Unity the pinnacle of UI design?

Other urls found in this thread:

igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
motif.ics.com/motif/downloads
yunit.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Isn't it funny how Sup Forums waited until *after* Canonical kills off Unity to start liking it? I don't recall you guys saying such nice things about it before this happened.

I always like unity. Sup Forums has objectively bad taste.

It was slow and resource consuming. The weird scroll bars in it traded off usability in exchange for covering less display, which I didn't really like.

all Linux DE's are shit but you have to give Unity props for being one of the best. the people who actually think xfce/lxde are good and bug free just have autism.

I really like unity, its pretty enough so I don't mind looking at it for a long time, and it's customizable enough to make it go out of my way if needed. I don't need anything else.
To have more themes would be a plus but might as well learn how to make them, but as I said, it's good enough.

Sup Forums isn't a monolith. Furthermore, fans of Unity are usually more laid back and are much quieter in their support of their DE. I think the same is true for GNOME supporters because, let's be real, both GNOME and Unity weren't exactly hip because they were considered the overwhelming norm.

unity was alright but too restrictive. KDE does everything (good, not shit-tier amazon search) unity did but better

it would have been a nearly acceptable UI for a tablet if linux tablets had ever been a thing that existed. discoverability compared poorly to Windows 8. system resource use was excessive. useability was a small step up from typing reams of arcane gibberish into an 80-column terminal prompt. overall I'd give it a 0.5 / 10.

No it wasn't

>GNOME supporters
die

>If linux tablets had ever been a thing that existed
They were, they just were not as common as their Android cousin (which is technically Linux).

What's wrong? Did someone shit their diaper again?

igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

Nice blog, dyke.

CHAPTCHA CALL DYKES

Head back almost 30 years.

Fuck Unity! Cinnamon 4 life.

Gnomefags don't even try to defend this shit.

happens every time. natural contrarians

yes Unity is awesome, 17.10 will be a huge blow to desktop usability

- Unity is fluid and butter smooth thanks to compiz (very mature codebase)
- really great HUD (dash and dash plugins), the filters to narrow down files are amazing, the transparent overlay looks really great
- amazing and consistent Global Menu (took lot of GTK/apps patching, kudos to Canonical, will be missed :( )
- seamless notifications integration
- UI doesn't waste desktop space with unnecessary and redundant bars

GNOME3 cannot even compete, they are only good a creating worst looking GUI, with dumb menus, dull puke looking default theme, oversized bars, they cannot decide how to do taskbar icons, the design of top panel along with Activities is dumb, API breakages etc.

i always loved the look of it but never the feel...bloated and slow

Unity is not bloated or slow, what the fuck? Are you running Nvidia blob driver or is your Vsync setting fucked up?

my dad runs ubuntu bro lol...and he needs the nvidia blob driver to make his ameritrade software work right on it

Nvidia driver is known to cause poor performance on many cards in X11/2D and GLX based apps while at the same time 3D OpenGL performance is great. Also Nvidia driver is known to misdetect refresh rate which you might need to correct and lock it to 60Hz in compiz setting manager for compiz to be fluid. Best desktop experience is usually with Intel open source drivers, and that goes for all compositors and DEs.

it seemed about the same before i swapped drivers for him, i think im just too used to openbox to ever consider it fast enough

i'm safe for two years :)

Yeah, I sort of like Unity now.

FUCK unity

There was no reason to talk about it when canonical was still making unity. You just use it and it works, that's all.
You notice how people always talk about macos or tiling wm? It's called post-purchase rationalization so to say. You don't talk about something that's good, you just use it. Although now, when unity is probably killed and there is no replacement at all is a good reason to discuss.

>tfw i use ubuntu gnome on my dev machine at work

Unity was never as bad as you heard people bitching about, but I can't say I was a fan. But my opinion probably doesn't count because I actually prefer GNOME to everything else.

When it was around and I hated it I spoke out. Now that it's dead I don't bother.

on lignux it most certainly was. still using it to date, until lts 16.04 is no longer supported. chose unity after years under xfce. it's so fucking smooth.

I am using 17.04 right now. I've tested 17.10 a few days ago and it's shit. Looks like there is not a Unity flavour for 17.10. I am so sad. I'll probably switch to Ubuntu MATE.

This is saddest point in my Linux history after the sudoku of Ian ;_;

>Looks like shit
>Bloated as hell (Seruously,more flashy KDE eats less resources)
>Uncomfortable.

I hope canonical will throw away this fuckness and replace it with better DE - Cinnamon

You need to go back through the archive then. There have always been people like me who are fans of Unity.

It was one of the best UIs I've ever used.

>Cinnamon
Have they fixed memory leaks?

No, these were.

unity will still be in ubuntu, its just not default

HOG HOG
DISABLE COMPIZ
DISABLE COMPIZ

Unity was a buggy mess. Being based on GNOME made it even more shit. Yes, it's UI was amazing and compact, but the lack of literally half the functions Xfce and KDE have made it shit. Xfce and KDE feel more complete and easier to use which is the whole point of a DE.

>italian ui font
why did anyone think this was a good idea?

I had enjoyed Unity till I tried XFCE

>italian ui font

That right there has the spirit of the golden days! I can hear Brian Adams singing to me while I take it in. Reminds me how dead I am inside these days relatively speaking.

the pinnacle of UI design

motif.ics.com/motif/downloads
Binaries available for Fedora and Ubuntu. It's open motif, not your irix version.

>tries to copy OSX
>pinnacle of UI design

You may not like it, but this is how perfection looks like.

> this is what macfags unironically beloeve

Tried the gnome replacement in ubuntu 17.10 and it both felt and looked like a trainwreck.

At this point desktop linux is dead to me. I'd rather put up with winblows 10 than deal with half-baked desktop environments which barely work properly.

>using electricity to run this pile of garbage

>status bars occupying 2 out of 4 sides
Massive waste of screen space.

a bit like your life then.

With so many people suddenly loving unity, why don't you port the menu search to be a standalone application?
Make it DE agnostic, so anyone can use it.

> Unity is unironically considered as good DE now
> it natively lacks softwares and tools to modify and set basic aesthetic features
Come on guys, it's 2017

If there's any programmer here interested in Unity, Yunit (pronounced "unit") is a project that aims to continue the development of Unity 8: yunit.io/

>Objectively bad taste
Doesn't get more autismo than this

is this desktop of those pc they send to africa

Please tell us then. Point the the XFCE bugs........

....Ok then stfu. Unity crashed once a little bit of tweaking was involved. Gnome 2 + Compiz was more reliable and appealing then Netbook Edition (the Unity core).

XFCE's compositor is complete shit. I've never used a XFCE solution where I had to replace the compositor with compton

I'll miss Unity, I hope Deepin gets better

I like how suddenly everyone like Unity now that we know it's going away.

this

If they allowed more customisation and didn't have Compiz (i.e. a bug-ridden POS) running it then it may have had better traction.

Also, they clearly gave up on it on the 16.04 LTS - it was broken by design because you didn't have the Ubuntu Software Centre to manipulate the right-click commands in the Dash.

and why is that? maybe your hardware is shit, because it werks for me.

not xfce fault that you use fucking gaming ram, gaming sata cables and gaming chair. faggot.

>implying any of that would affect the compositor

Do you even know what a compositor is, you Sup Forumsermin dipshit?

They shouldn't have wasted time on Mir.

yes, and I use default xfwm. what is your problem with it?

Successful multiple desktops with the second screen on the left are fucking impossible in Xfce.

Default one is garbage for any hardware made in the last 8 years, ranging from laptop CPUs to desktop ones and all GPUs I tried. I've never seen an Xfce/LXDE/MATE desktop without default screen tearing. Compton is a MUST on any Xfce setup and Xfce devs should stop being retarded and include it by default or at least fix their shitty compositor.

Google "Xfce compositor" and pretty much every result is people complaining about screen tearing and suggestions on how to replace it with Compton.

Your compositor is complete shit.

>BeOS
You could have put any good UNIX DE/WM from the time or even Amiga shit and it would have been miles better.

>Compton
compiz is better

Absolutely. It introduced two killer features: the HUD and locally integrated menus. To this day no other DE has both of those features. The latest Mate beta has a HUD and the latest version of Plasma has locally integrated menus (although not done as nicely), but neither have both. Unity really spoiled me and now I can't live without these features.

This, HUD is probably the best idea that came up from Canonical.
afaik KDE 4 had a similar feature thanks to a plugin for Krunner.

> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh wait, no. Metro was better

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is the answer. Something good happens - nobody talks about it. Something bad happens - people start to talk.

people liked it before too

I never understood why XFCE doesn't just ship with compton.

Not him but me neither. If everyone needs to always install it and it works great, why isn't it the default one? Doesn't make any sense.

What makes it better? What's the difference?

ccsm settings
plugins
and most importantly
gaussian blur in transparent windows

>not disabling non-scalable transparency effects

Retarded iPad-like touch interface. At least it isn't the flat meme.

Italic*

As much as I liked Platinum, My favorite is still Aqua, specifically the first version that had the pinstripes.