/pcbg/ - PC Building General

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an SSD. Consider buying a large SSD for the price of an HDD + SSD, and saving 50$ next paycheck to buy an HDD
>If your build needs Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter. General rule of thumb is more than 2 antennas

If you want help:
>Remember, we're not here to build a PC for you, we're here to help you
>View this handy guide on picking parts
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>If your part list needs a monitor, be sure to include information like response time, refresh rate, and resolution
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaymen, Video Editing, VM Work
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

CPUs:
No i5's unless discounted
>A8-9600 (APU) - Poverty-tier builds (At this point, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a GPU in)
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (~500)
>R3 1300x - Gap between 1200 & Ryzen 5, consider a 1400 if you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best bang for your buck with gaymen & mixed uses, 1600x if you don't like overclocking
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use, not just for gaymen

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up, using an old GPU / waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low / medium settings (Anything below this, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a better GPU in)
>RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at high / ultra settings, supports Freesync
>1060 6GB - 1080p 60hz at high/ ultra settings, supports G-Sync
>1070 - 1080p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 1440p 60hz at high / ultra settings
>1080 TI - 1440p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 4k 60hz at high / ultra settings

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM, 3200(+) MHz is ideal

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/XzGnxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/hcLNZ8
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADYY64M4891
pcpartpicker.com/list/4tRgGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/QzgQr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/sGDkpb
reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/722sme/gregs_store_welcome_h_windows_10_prohome_781_pro/
pcpartpicker.com/list/m3kgGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/PTxbbj
pcpartpicker.com/product/pxrcCJ/tp-link-wireless-network-card-archert9e
pcpartpicker.com/list/DGhmwV
legitreviews.com/cpu-bottleneck-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-tested-on-amd-ryzen-versus-intel-kaby-lake_192585
pcpartpicker.com/list/j7jNd6
pcpartpicker.com/user/aa123159/saved/#view=ZtvWXL
pcpartpicker.com/list/VrkgGf
mega.nz/#!CIMSgAJR!a400IgIm7_Ak4RCg5-iQ43MR2hG7TNWQhT3ZT8wiSLs
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094
amazon.com/Asus-VE276Q-27-Inch-Integrated-Speakers/dp/B003UT2C4U
forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/DNXYkT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>wait for i7-8700k
yay o nai?

Yes, more announcements on Oct 5

Will r5 1600 bottleneck a 1080TI?
Looking at the 1080 or 1080ti for my pc

1080 no.
For 1080 ti I would upgrade to a R7 1700 to prevent any bottlenecking.

not really, but 1600x might be more sane with some fast ram ofc

I'm retarded, where would I get Windows 10 for my PC without being arrested?

reddit, windows 10 marketplace, education key for 10-20 dollar or so

torrent it from pbay

I'm worried about torrenting it

I found a torrent but I don't want to get in trouble

First time building, Im concerned the Gpu may not be able to hold up the 3 monitors.

I will only ever game on one monitor, and maybe a movie on the other.
pcpartpicker.com/list/XzGnxY

you wont get into trouble for it, if you're paranoid just get vpn, but for that price you couldve just bought a key

Need help with this build.

Made it a while back and some Sup Forums user modified it. How can I drive the price down? Will use it mostly for browsing and image / video editing and some light gaymen.

>No i5's unless discounted

Why no i5's?? I'm currently on a asus laptop with and i3 / 4gb ddr and this shit can barely handle my browsing habit. Constant browser crashing and shut downs, programs crashing mid-work, I need something better. Help me modify the list and bring the $$$ down.

DDR could go down, maybe 12 or 8 DDR would be okay fo me. I got zero fucking clue about the monitor or the video card and apparently i5's, according to op, are no go's. So what would you Sup Forumsents recommend instead?

Who /DDR5waiting/ here

why not get better quality monitors for the non-gaming ones

Yes

Although they just leaked that there will be an 8-core Coffee Lake/Icelake early next year

They will also be on a Z390 board, literally what da fugg? Even if Coffee Lake is da bomb they already undermined it before release

t-thanks

assist me senpai
What do you recommend for the other two that will be on the side?

i5 are overpriced now, ryzen is good option, even though photoshop might prefer intel cpus

get 570 if you can instead of x80 variant you dont really need an aftermarket cooler

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADYY64M4891

ips panel, hdr
if i were you id try to get an amd gpu for the freesync, since its quite good for videos

Can you modify the list and add the best replacement for the i5? Got no clue which ryzen to choose. Also, what's this 570 you mention?

Thank yu senpai...

>$350 for i5 mobo/cpu/cooler combo 4c/4t
>$270 for r5 1600 mobo/cpu/cooler combo 6c/12t
Your a fucking genius

Don't be mean senpai. I got zero fucking clue on how to build a proper pc. Help a pc-buildLet out and modify my list...

7700k or 1700? 16 gb ram and just for gayming

there are no amd cards sold at decent prices right now due to bitcoin mining
dont buy windows licence

A post to help with retards,

WIndows 10 cost $10 at most from ebay. THis is overrpiced but you are 1--% safe
Dont buy anything above a 1050ti rn
Dont buy 16 gb for more than $120,
Dont buy shit that you dont need,
Maximize price_performance for ssd storage
Do reasearch on what ryzen mobo you buy. Some are good, some are shit some are in the middle.
Upgrade to Ryzen 2 if you have Sandy/Ivy Bridge
Upgrade to Ryzen 7nm if cpu is newer than 2014.
Upgrade to ryzen if you have older amd Fx chips
WaitTM for Raven Ridge

only gayman? then 7700k

This is the most ridiculous build I've probably ever seen.
>Extra for RGB Ram
>$60 for RGB case fans that cost more than the case
>$600 on 1080p screens
>RGB keyboard and mouse
>Budget wifi card that will make you miserable in games
>Can't budget in anything more than a 3GB GTX 1060...

I so want to understand what's going on here.

(OP) #
>just got done shopping and upgrading my PC and getting a wheel as a birthday gift
>basically built PC up to meet Forza 7 minimum req
>intel i5 4690k CPU is already better than recc so I ignore it and focus on getting the dinosaur of a Radeon 7870 out
>RX 570 replaces it, new 3TB HDD just in case
>was running fine as I installed drivers and the new Radeon settings from the disk
>CPU is at 88 degrees C on reboot and goes into limp mode
>clean case
>10 mins in limp mode
>reapply thermal pads
>10 mins in limp mode
Any advice?

>2 thousand dollars
>1060 3gb gpu

buy a r5 1400 and a good mobo like msi b350 gaming plus then use stock cooler and oc to 3.7 ghz. Get a ram deal for 16 gb for $115 dont buy win 10 and go on plebbit/ bapcs to get good deals for gpus and psus.
spend $250 on a 144hz freesync mointor that is ips. BUy a cheaper case unles you want aesthetics. Wait for gpus. You can buy a shity rx 560 for ~$90 or a %10 faster gtx 150 for $110. Those are reasonable.

ask if you have any other questions. Also make a spread sheet too.

I appreciate the critique, Ill make some changes soon.

literally go to plebbit and they will hook you up.

Same dude and here's my suggestions:

pcpartpicker.com/list/QzgQr7

>Dumped RGB accessories for just as good normal ones
>500gig evo over 250gig for much better value
>Dumped the three Freesync monitors for one G Sync version
>Replaced GTX 1060 for GTX 1080

Only $30 more in the end. Just buy more monitors later. A good monitor will last multiple systems and if you're spending 2k just get a G sync.

You drove the price down 60 bucks, thanks familia. //sarcasm

I need windows, no exceptions. Ebay ones are probably torrented and have used/expired keys, fuck no. Need a legit one. Performance wise, what's the difference between r5 1600 and r5 1400?
user already modified my list and chose a r5 1600. I'm guessing 1400 is a bit shittier?

What would you change from this new list to drive the price down?

i give about 4/10 fucks about the case. Which one would you recommend?

>Wait for gpus. You can buy a shity rx 560 for ~$90 or a %10 faster gtx 150 for $110.

I'll be real with you user, you're cool, I got zero fucking clue what this gpu is used for. I'll be using the pc for light image editing, browsing and light gaymen.

250 for a monitor seem too much for my broke ass.

>$400
No

First time building for a gaymen computer. Any advice? Any way I can improve it or make it cheaper? I'm trying to stay under 1300. I also want to water cool the whole thing. Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread.

pcpartpicker.com/list/sGDkpb

Oh yeah and I dumped the H60 for the Cryorig H7. Ryzen 1600 doesn't run hot and the H60 is no better than a 120mm air cooler, but it costs half as much.

Besides what the other guy said:
>H60s are trash and easily beaten by cheaper air coolers (so are any other AIOs), look for one that can fit your case
>Probably worth upgrading to an S340 Elite, it's an updated/iterated refresh and not just extra features, the dust filters are actually housed properly and easily removable instead of literally just being crappy pieces of mesh slid in place for example
>It's 2017, a 1TB hard drive really won't cut it anymore unless you plan on redownloading everything every time you want to do something

ive bough 3 keys from reddit, ive used them for a year now, they work just fine

I don't know user, they just don't look legit. Don't want to spend money on some potentially dud keys. I'm sure you understand. Gimme the link where you bought yours and I'll do some research. If I can save some money then i'll buy em.

reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/722sme/gregs_store_welcome_h_windows_10_prohome_781_pro/

20 dollars is not much

I managed to snag a Vega 56 backorder for $399.99 two days ago. I thought Amazon.com was going to cancel, so far they seem to be honoring the purchase with a tentative Oct 2 delivery.

If Jeff Bezos comes through, how does this look? pcpartpicker.com/list/m3kgGf

I know my phenom 955 is getting long in tooth and I just got a 1050ti to replace my gtx 460, since I figure I won't upgrade until the gpu shortage ends

How does more cores instead of higher frequency prevent bottle necking? Most games can't use 8 cores yet

Oh cool I didn't know that about Windows. Thanks. The reason why I picked that case is because a friend used it when he built his computer and I think being able to see the temperature right on the case is really handy. As for the water cooler, I picked it because I want less noise on my machine.

Okay. Just, uh, use this.
Everything about your build was shitty.
You're not going to watercool everything on a 1300$ budget.
If you have questions, ask.
pcpartpicker.com/list/PTxbbj

>pcpartpicker.com/list/QzgQr7
Ryzen 1600 comes with a stock cooler right? would it be better just to use that, or will the fan you added be better?

I forgot to add a Wireless Adapter to it. Add this.
pcpartpicker.com/product/pxrcCJ/tp-link-wireless-network-card-archert9e

The purpose of Z390 is to have a 10nm Cannonlake chipset even though Cannonlake has been delayed once again. That's why Z370 is the only chipset this year, it's a Kaby Lake refresh chipset. Z370 is 14nm, while Z390, H370, and all the others are 10nm. Who knows if there will be any differences in actual performance though.

Oh yeah, there's a merchant on ebay selling the CF791 for $679.99. I have a few 120mm fans laying around i can use since the case comes without any

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and buy this alienware Area 51 case (pic related).

I'm building a VR machine and I'd like to have a very futuristic theme - a la tranquility lane from fallout 3.

Other cases I'm considering rn are the old mATX IBM thinkcentres or maybe an old black aluminum lian li. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Where on earth are you guys finding ram this cheap? Ddr4 and at least 3000mhz

are hybrid ssd worth it for the price?

Are you overclocking?

pcpartpicker.com/list/DGhmwV

Thinking about swapping out the 4k monitor for another 1080p and putting that money into upgrading the CPU, but that really depends on if the ryzen 1600 will bottleneck the 1080ti

That is heinous

1600 is fine. just keep that build.

ryzen bottlenecks 1080ti,.
legitreviews.com/cpu-bottleneck-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-tested-on-amd-ryzen-versus-intel-kaby-lake_192585

nice get

suggestion for something industrial then? Something that fits the tranquility lane theme?

would it be worth it to put 8gb of faster RAM in this?

I'd get an SSD. Crucial MX300 is probably the best budget option with nice performance. If you're going to install Win10 and multiple games, the 525GB version is probably a better idea than the 275GB one.
The 1600's stock cooler is quite decent - I think it can even handle a reasonable overclock. Maybe give it a try before buying an aftermarket cooler.
Win10 can be used without activating it, so paying for it is highly optional. You can just get the ISO from the Microsoft site and make a bootable USB drive or DVD.

>launch day benchmarks

>llano
Unless you're just browsing the internet or playing old games it's probably time to consider an entirely new computer.

>Unless you're just browsing the internet or playing old games
yes that's what I do with this pc

Thread died before I finished tweaking.
pcpartpicker.com/list/j7jNd6 Motherboard has everything including wifi, would suggest the taichi over it, though. Opted for proper compatible ram that happened to be cheaper, Better PSU, SSD, Significantly better cooler, GPU with good cooling. Could do a little better overall if you didn't want to water cool, to be honest.

Stock cooler is actually good enough for 3.8ghz on the 1600, that ram is junk. Would have a better time with geil evo x 3000.

You'll be fine if you're running 1440p maxed out, or 4k. I wouldn't pair anything with a 1080ti on 1080p unless you're upping the render scale and AA.

If you can get it cheaply, yes.

if you had a 3870K you could OC it to around 4ghz, would be "alright"

shame really

I'm confused about: motherboards.

Using pcpartpicker it's pretty easy to find a compatible motherboard. What I don't get is what goes into a motherboard that makes it better/worse than other motherboards. As long as all of your components can go inside of it, what else matters? Obviously there's some basic considerations like RAM slots but the vast majority of options have 4 slots. Beyond compatibility, what else am I looking for?

How can I drive the price down on this build?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/4tRgGf

Video card and case could downgrade?

pcpartpicker.com/user/aa123159/saved/#view=ZtvWXL

How is this? Never made a PC before. Thinking of switching out the monitor for a cheaper one with lower refresh rate. Mostly want that one because of low input lag. Also, any recommendations for a keyboard? Mostly, I just want a quiet one. Also a numpad would be great. Would also appreciate recommendations on how to bring the price down.

Generally the more expensive ones are designed for people who potentially want more than one graphics card, lot's of hard drives (more SATA ports and m.2 support), more/better USB ports and better overclocking. Expensive mobos typically have better cooling on VRM's (although this isn't always the case), better power phases, and more detailed BIOS options like LLC, pstates, and better LN2 support on really expensive mobos.

Get a 1070
swap the case for something from fractal
get a better monitor (still 1920x1080 144hz)
Get rid of the 212 evo
get black ram, because muh color scheme

pcpartpicker.com/list/VrkgGf

BIOS, Power Delivery, IO, Component Quality

Get 1070. 1080 is in a weird place where 1070 does 1080p144 and 1440p60 and then 1080 Ti covers the 1440p144.

You can even drop the cooler as 1600 comes with a decent one. If you want to buy a cooler you'd have to get something more pricier.

Don't have anywhere to host the list at the moment, working on getting a friend to give me a page on his site. But here's a mega link to a spreadsheet covering a bunch of memory kits and a guide for ryzen. mega.nz/#!CIMSgAJR!a400IgIm7_Ak4RCg5-iQ43MR2hG7TNWQhT3ZT8wiSLs

I have a chance to maybe get a 4k 28" monitor for around 150 bucks, maybe a little less. The only issue I have with it is that its a glossy screen, the size is fine and I dont really need super accurate colors, just screen space. Is it worth it Sup Forums? I'd be using it either in a basement or right next to a bed next to a window, with blinds but I'm still a bit worried about reflections

Get it and sell it for 300+

not sure if that's an option. it's in good condition but it doesnt have a stand. I'd be using it on a vesa mount anyways but I'd have to source a stand for it. not sure I could flip it that quick either, not many people buying 4k around here

Oh. I didn't know the 1600 comes with a cooler.
Dropped the cooler and switched to a 1070.
Also swapped the case to a focus G since the white one looked pretty nice. Still looking around for a monitor.

Pro tip on the focus G. The dedicated SSD mounting requires the PSU to not be installed.

Currently overclocking my R5 1500x with stock cooler. I want it to be at 3.8 or 3.9 ghz but I can't get it stable above 3.7 at 1.35~v. when I run stress tests the temperature does raise, and I feel like it's crashing because temps are getting too hot. I'm thinking about grabbing a Corsair liquid cooler (dual fan). Thoughts? Would that help? Or is my CPU pretty much maxed for OC? Other cooler recommendations? Thanks!

AIOs are overpriced garbage. NH-D15 performs about the same and is much cheaper.

No

So I have to put the SSD in first before the PSU?

the S variant is offset and lets you use the first pcie slot.

I have a Coolermaster G550M PSU which keeps constantly failing after several months (despite being recomended everywhere) and since it was on RMA several times already i got my money back. newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094 Is this a good PSU?

very good

I found a variant that fits the am4 socket, these aren't too big to use with two larger range sticks and a dual fan sized GPU? Or will I run into fitting issues?

They are garbage.

I might be able to get amazon.com/Asus-VE276Q-27-Inch-Integrated-Speakers/dp/B003UT2C4U
for 50 bucks on Craigslist. Anyone here have any good/bad experiences buying electronics from Craigslist? Can't find anything about how much input lag this has though.

Is an SSD truly necessary

Yes. It's really something you don't want to give up. If you truly have to save money somewhere then go with a smaller one, 120gb at the minimum.

Yeah, and you have to remove the psu if you want to remove the ssd. Fractal design is a meme.I do like the case other than that one little thing, just trying to save you some confusion / headaches.

You need more voltage, max safe voltage is 1.425v for Ryzen. The Glofo 14nm LPP node has a low target frequency of 3-3.3Ghz and hits a hard voltage wall once you get to or above 3.7 Ghz. forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/ Keep in mind that this graph for clocks vs voltage is for an 1800x which is the absolute best bin you can get. But it gives you a good idea of where your cpu is at.

It is not truly necessary. But the quality of your experience when you have an SSD for a boot drive is so good you'll never want to not have one ever again.

Get a key on kinguin or similar, download the install media from microsoft directly

i want to eat all of this

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/DNXYkT
For gaming at 144 1080p. Will it fuck up?

Looks fine. You kangaroos get really fucked with prices.

Updated bios with msi live now ez debug CPU led light up and I get no boot screen. Please help
Motherboard Msi gaming pro carbon
CPU ryzen 1700
Ram corsair vegance 2x8gb 3000mhz
Already rma'd the Mobo problem still presists Really losing hope

I only gave a 500gb SSD in my dedicated gayming pc right now, should I get a 1TB HDD or another 500gb SSD?

From Microsoft's own website.

Oh yeah. How long you reckon til gpu prices drop?

>Updated bios with msi live
You should never use msi live update, it's absolutely terrible.