Can we have a good old language holy war?

I want to make a browser game like lichess.org. What should I use on backend?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ornicar/lila/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

php

why? and what about multythreading

C

Not a good recommendation anymore

If you want parallel go for Golang or Erlang (or similar).

>Why PHP?
Because it's performant and straightforward enough to code something in for the backend

>What about multithreading?
Why are you concerned with this?

but muh facebook

gross

The 2nd most valuable valuable website is made in PHP. What is your excuse?

Php 7

Facebook themselves are a good example as to why not to go with PHP, it's so bad that they had to make a transpiler, they have an infrastructure that comes close to Google because they need it to scale, they invest a lot of time in every other aspect to squeeze efficient (focusing on kernel level areas to optimize, hardware level, etc.), they made their own programming language, they're migrating stuff away from php.

They really had no other choice at the time, now that they have options they're moving away from it.

>appeal to authority

Rust

>don't use php because you'll write a new language after making billions of dollars
sure thing champ

There's no correlation between Facebook's financial success and potential merit of PHP, the success of Facebook comes from the concept, how this concept was implimented did not matter, especially at the time. If you have ever worked in large business you will know that it's always cheaper to maintain legacy than it is to rewrite.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

fuck off, pajeet

oh no youre retarded

Not an argument.

i never once asked what you cared about nor read any of your posts.

I don't recall saying otherwise.

you expected an argument, but i dont respect you at all. youre needy and pathetic.

>you expected an argument
Why make this assumption, just because I pointed out that post was not? If we're casting out our baseless assumptions, I think you're being overly defensive at a harmless comment.

>youre needy and pathetic
My character has no bearing on the things I've said. we are all anonymous here, the comments stand on their own.

>but i dont respect you at all
I don't even know what you're implying here, again we're all anonymous here. It's better that you don't respect me as that's a potential bias.

shut up fag.

There's nothing you can do to stop me here. I will shit on PHP as long as I please.

Everyone shits on PHP, especially people who develop in it

Even the creator has shit on it. It's good if you want a job maintaining legacy systems, that seems to be about it. Maybe as a learning tool.

Rasmus is a fucking retard though. He is a poor developer and has made horrible decisions with the language. He also still has a lot of voting power over new features and stops progress from being made

x86 asm

Drop the "though".

No, it was used correctly

node.js

The man behind it being a retard and still having power over the project is bad though.

Agreed entirely. Rasmus needs to retire

PHP is garbage. Use Python or Go.

this or ruby on rails.

Eww

lichess is open source
github.com/ornicar/lila/

Scala

assembly

BTFOed by

shell + webfs

Scala, like lichess.