Anyone know where to get a free copy of MatLab? I'm a broke college student who needs it for a class

Anyone know where to get a free copy of MatLab? I'm a broke college student who needs it for a class.

Also, what are the uses of this program? I have hear very little about it before and aside from lacking if then statements and other useful matrix tricks I'm not sure whats so special about it

Other urls found in this thread:

pyqtgraph.org/
pdl.perl.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

nvm found one.

dude, fuck off

>needs it for class
>not provided a student license from school

where the fuck are you taking classes?

Wanna know how I know you're uneducated?

a Cal Maritime class. We don't get student licenses here

because I'm a college student? I don't have anything other than a high school diploma to my name?

found one

That has nothing to do with me being gay.
Fuck off

MatLab may be powerful, but the matlab language is complete ass.

Do yourself a favor and learn Python and SageMath or Jupyter

Which, by the way, are all free tools.

just use python with scipy you idiot, or gnu octave

Protip kid.

Use python + numpy + scipy + matplotlib.

They're free as in freedom and as in beer.

Unless you actually need one of the specialized toolboxes, Matlab is nothing but bloatware.

matlab makes it "easy" for non-programmers (engineers) to write programs for large-scale matrix calculations

There is (or was) an open-source clone called Octave.

Engineers are about the only ones that use it anymore. Scientists and mathematicians have mostly moved on to Python (or R or Scala for data science)

How many chicks in your class?

sage :v)

GNU Octave is still developed.

How about building a GUI is there any modules that is similar and easy to use as MATLAB GUIDE?

I hate MATLAB and their bloodsucking attitude so much but still I'm unable to find anything replace it.

Why is the Matlab logo my boner in the bedsheets?

Nah m8, engineers have their specific programs for their specific fields, mathlab is for scientists only.

>62587003
pm'd you the link :^) check your inbox

Matlab is generally used for prototyping and is still much more widely used among engineers than scientists. And there's no h in matlab, it's short for matrix laboratory.

You can use GNU octave.

Matlab is a horrible mess of a language with awesome capabilities for matrix manipulation and general math stuff, for example being able to do symbolic calculations, so you can compute eigenvalues for a matrix with variables in them.
Nobody uses it to do serious computation, but it is quite useful to test stuff.

heres some ready to use templates

pyqtgraph.org/

Scilab, nigger

You all can suck on Matlab's BIG FAT SIMULINK COCK

>Engineers are about the only ones that use it anymore
It's somewhat widely used in neuroscience for some reason I believe.
I use it because I can't actually properly program and Matlab is easy. Plus I find the whole matrix thing extremely handy and intuitive. Feels good when you avoid a bunch of loops just by using matrix computations in a clever way.

Surely you can just pirate it op? can you not?

over half of the professors in the Math department of my uni use MATLAB. The rest mainly uses either Python or R, also there's one Lispfag and a Prologfag.

99% of the time you won't need simulink at uni though. And if you do, then they should buy for the license.
Not saying that simulink is bad. It is quite good.

Just ask your college, fyi they can get you almost any software for free. You can use it for all kinds of computations, and it's awesome.

Is that your experience? I'd be using c++ or java if not for simulink, which you can pry from my dead cold hands.

FreeMat is just fine.

>I need this program
>I don't know what this program does
u wot m8

>62587015
>We don't get student licenses here

Find a new school

>We don't get student licenses here

Find an actual school

>ITT programmers trying to promote meme languages

OP needs Matlab, not some open source shitty alternatives that no real engineer (no, software development is not an actual engineering) will ever use in his life.

Can't you just copy the school version? All I did was literally copy and paste the program files into my laptop and it worked.

>what is Simulink?

>FreeMat
lol fuck off

I'm too thick to pirate and somehow got into uni

Most schools offer a free student copy of matlab online. Type your school name and matlab n see if you find any. If not rip in piss

If you're going to pay money to do symbolic calculations why not use Mathematica?

>Feels good when you avoid a bunch of loops just by using matrix computations in a clever way.

You might be more of a programmer than you think.

>the scientists/engineering rivalry posts from /sci/ are coming here now

so you want a free copy of MatLab, huh?

our lecturer recommended octave

it's awful, try parsing spreadsheets with it.

Use GNU/Octave instead, it's free, comfy and has the same syntax (language) that Matlab has.

Go to coursera.org/learn/matlab
Enroll for free, check out resources section for 3 months license. After 3 months rinse and repeat with another email

I use python stack desu
he only suggested it as he said it could be better than fiddling with uni license

From someone who has had to recently translate
large amounts of company matlab code into python, numpy and scipy are a fucking mess and matlab has much more intuitive syntax when dealing doing matrix operations.

mex functions are also a much cleaner and consistent way of interfacing with C than cython

> Matlab is nothing but bloatware
you are unemployed

just use C brainlet

>his uni doesn't give you the license
What a shithole uni you have there, user.

Yeah, it's called Python

Scilab is pretty good. Not exactly Matlab, but most matrix operation can be performed about the same, only toolboxes are missing.

>use that what the class doesn't use
I mean, I love the tools you just mentioned and those were what we needed to use in my calculus classes but OP is probably better off using what he will need to know to pass the class.

>has the same syntax (language) that Matlab has

This is a fucking lie.

When I started using Matlab I installed Octave because >muh open source alternative. I couldn't run any of the examples besides the most basic ones. Forget about any toolbox related command, too.

>the language is the same ⇔it will run the same programs
Good job.

>OP needs MatLab for a class
>user recommends a program that has the same syntax but can't run MatLab programs properly

What's the point then?

> unironically using python meme

never stops being funny

you've translated from python to matlab or the opposite?

Matlab is very clear and tries to remain "correct"
While numpy broadcasting is cool, it's driving me insane, algebra-wise.

hungary or canada collage

Pajeet National University

NONFREE SOFTWARE. DO NOT USE.

>gnu octave
Don't do this. Octave is a giant waste of your time.

I used Matlab while studying my Mechanical Degree. I found it far easier to use than when we had to study C

>OP asks for free matlab
>Sup Forums can't deliver
>keeps shilling shit OP didn't ask for

Not really worth it..

I once used it for university and installed it locally because I had no close access to university computer with the licenses.

Cracking it is a huge pain in the ass, as the configuration is.

I accidentally the version a month later and was so angry that I just installed some clone (think it was Octave?). Worked like a charm and the commands where the same.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:de9669a1434fe37fc074481935d6b0ccc13c1f2b&dn=MATLAB+R2017a+%5BPC%5D+%5Bx64%5D+with+Serial&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

So is Matlab. It's a janky language originally thrown together in the 70s as a teaching aid, and it's really not nice to use.

Octave got me through the few stats/engineering classes where I needed to run Matlab programs. If I needed Matlab for work, I would expect my employer to provide it. There is no reason ever to buy Matlab for yourself.

>So is Matlab
The difference is Matlab comes with a bunch of toolboxes. Replicating them in ocvtave is like teabagging a running blender.
Fact if the matter is even when you can find the shit you need to pull it off, the fucking timesink is not worth it. You could be learning your work, or you could be spending time finding shit you need.

>There is no reason ever to buy Matlab for yourself.
forgot to add to this No. I don't recommend it either. Mathworks charges a stupid amount for matlab and toolboxes. They then separate shit in a stupid manner that means you need to get 2 tool boxes while making it look like you only need one. But OP was not asking about buying matlab. OP is talking about school. Matlab school licenses are fucking stupid and have to authenticate via a server because they buy a limited amount of numbers. Most (not all) schools won't give you a copy to take around on your laptop or home/dorm computer.

When I went to school I had access to it in the computer labs. I ended up not needing it because of octave, but I had it. I think if I was taking something more specialized than a basic stats class, I would have needed to get into the toolboxes, but that was never a problem for me.

I've used matlab for DSP, control systems engineering, power engineering, image processing. Has many other uses

Fair. I needed Matlab's neural network toolbox and economics toolbox. Replicating those features in octave. After 3 days of trying to replicate that shit, I gritted my teeth paid for matlab.

Give email will give key tmrw if I have time

what shitty university doesn't give you a student license?

if post=negative
block(poster)
elseif poster=freetard
block poster
end

Wow so clever

Use PDL instead pdl.perl.org/

your just reminded me that you have to type "end" after every if, every for, every while, everything ends with "end".
also no more than one function per file wtf.

vector index should indeed start at 1 though

>shits on MATLAB but recs python
Christ

It's useful for working with matrices.
I used it in my image processing course.
It's also useful for some of the libraries that are available for it, I saw it used to gather data from other instruments in my electromechanics lab.

Something that is special about it compared to other languages is the ease at which you can inspect memory using the GUI.

use julia my nigger, its open source and free

Ask me how I know you're not in engineering.

How good is this? Perl is very powerful by itself, looks like is ten times that.

Does everything just the same, never gave any trouble.