/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE
>Watch Essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.watchuseek.com/f10/wruw-september-2017-2017-a-4523769.html#post43998479
youtube.com/watch?v=5R8At-Qno_o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Seiko 5 or

I love the 80s yuppie A E S T H E T I C.

Now that I think about it, the two tone DateJUST is THE yuppie watch. Honorable mention goes to the Cartier Tank.

love my flighty. lookin at getting an alpinist in couple months

Is Grand Seiko best case finishing per buck?

Vostok :^)

AFAIK yes, that especially applies to the qurtzes. I want an SBGT237 so bad ;_;

I really want his life and this watch.

Nice SARX homage in the middle.

Lovely collection my friend.
Great value for the money, love the Squale and Oris especially. The Hamilton is great value for the money and a true classic.

too bad where I'm from only old fucks with comb overs wear the two tone DJ but I do love the silver version

Propably one of the best tool watches that also look great on the wrist and are suitable for daily use.

Is this cop-worthy?

yes

Very much so! And make sure to buy it directly from Daniel Wellington's website. There are a lot of poorly make counterfeits. Don't be fooled by the ultra low prices.

forums.watchuseek.com/f10/wruw-september-2017-2017-a-4523769.html#post43998479

Why does WUS do this?

Thanks guys!
Will be ordering this next week if I don't encounter anything else that triggers my cop instinct.

What's the cheapest watch you've ever bought?
Was it worth it?

Dw fake for 1,7 €
Definitely worth it's money.

$11

I actually think WUS > reddit because at least on WUS people call out shitters instead of saying "at the end of the day all that matters is that you like it." Both are fucking annoying though.

True and they have actual information and a community there.
But taking wrist shots of your russian shitter while your grandchild is being born? Sometimes watch guys go too far.
I wouldn't have the balls to take a wristshot in the presense of other people. Only did it once in a airplane though.

If you are serious then you have my pity.

My gold Seiko 5. It's ridiculously accurate for a Watch approaching 40 years old.

Dw fake for 1,7 €

Oh that's actually not bad I guess

Possibly retarded question. How do people make a decision on what watch to buy when making a purchase?

I've never owned a watch before mainly because my previous job never allowed jewelry during work so I've never need to buy one for any reason.

First you should make a budget and shouldn't go over it, trust me it's easy to throw a lot of money on watches without really noticing
Maybe you should look at a lot of watches, online and in real life stores to get a sense of what style/brand you like

INCLUDE THIS IN NEXT OP

Want to ask advice on what watch to buy? Fill in these questions:

>Budget:
>Style(Diver, dress, sports, etc):
>Movement:
>Dial color:
>Complications(Chronograph, timer, alarm, date, etc):

Is there anything accessible like the Seiko 5 but manual wind instead? Under 38mm would be grand as well. Genuinely enjoy the idea of manual winding more than an automatic.

SOVIET DRESS WATCHES

t. Soviet dress watch connoisseur

I'm looking to buy a watch under $150. What's better, a watch with a battery or a mechanical watch? Also, for watches in general, any price, what's better, with battery or mechanical?

Vostok Komandirskie.

>what's better
in what sense?
for actually keeping accurate time a quartz is better, but mechanical watches have a certain appeal

my first seiko will arrive in a few days
what does Sup Forums think about it?

>have a certain appeal
What's the appeal? Not having to change battery? I think analog watches you have to change battery quite often, yes? I have a digital and the battery probably lasts 10 years, you buy a new watch if the battery is depleted before the strap or any other part.

it's more autistic than that, it's the smooth(er) movement of the second hand, the complexity of the internal parts, the history etc

you can get solar or kinetic quartz watches were the battery recharges itself

Put it on a NATO

NATOs are shit.

seiko skx007 or skx013?

in which occasion should you go for one over the other?

Good choice, I have mine on a dark brown vintage leather strap. I wear it daily.

If you are a turbo-wristlet then go for the 013, the 007/009 wears fairly small for its size as it has quite a small lug to lug measurement.

h-how many inches to be considered a turbo-wristlet?

anything under 6.5inch

Under 6" is gril tier. Below 6.5" is wristlet.

I prefer it on croc, personally.

Would a Vostok Amphibia with teal dial look better with a black or brown leather strap?

Is this dial faggy? I like the red accent of the star

Grand Seiko's have more finishing work out into their cases, dials, hands, bracelets and movement finishing than any other series produced watch, period. Grand Seiko is basically weaponized autism as a production watchmaker.

Yes yes Seiko well done, well done...

However...

>Solar

>Multi band 6 for 100% accurate time at all times

they do have excellent finishing its just too bad they can't make a decent looking watch with aesthetic proportions.

Am I the only one who finds SARBs boring af?
Mine has been laying in the box for 2 months already, it's depressing to look at it for some reason. I may resell it.

Yes, plain and no personality.

Fits the role though, for suited up wageslaves that are plain and have no personality

Is the Christopher Ward C8 decent?

looks nice

>Blancpain
>nice elegant but comfy clothes

Why is Putin this based?
Too bad he is a bit cuck-y in my book for wearing his Blancpain on the wrong wrist though.

>Would a Vostok Amphibia with teal dial look better with a black or brown leather strap?

As a diver's watch it should really either be kept on a nylon nato strap or it's metal bracelet.

>Is this dial faggy? I like the red accent of the star

No worries there m8. At worst it might come off as a little cringey if someone asks you about it and you drop your spaghetti talking about slavshit though.

Really the only fag watches we see here regularly are all of the 3horology5me Seikos and NOMOS hipster trash. A Vostok seems like something Varg or TImothy McVeigh would wear.

He's Putin, he can wear it on whatever wrist he wants.

Lot of talk about Vostoks in last thread for new buyers. Maybe this will help you.

Man, comfy goals.

That is hand of Strengh my friend

Putin rule Rossiya with hand of Blancpain

Medvedev on the other hand....

>Museum-grade sapphire crystal
what did Christopher mean by this?

i already have an snzg13 on a leather strap that i love. the simple style is nice.

i want something on a steel bracelet and i cant decide between this or a 007 swapped onto an oyster.

Any anons have their Alpinists on bracelets?

>plebvedev

At least he wears his watches right, I'll give him that.

>tfw you'll never be a chad Russian metalworker who shamelesly and succesfully asks his country's leader for his watch, which costs about 5 times his life earnings.

Fucking jew holy shit.

Fuck him and send him to the gulag

That's a Komandirskie dial, I have a 'dirskie with the same dial. I had in on a tan buns strap for a while so this should give you an idea.

Also unless they've changed the colour that picture you have is quite misleading. The dial is green not teal.

Personal preference I guess, I prefer uncluttered designs usually.

Which C8 are you looking at? I think they use their 'in-house' movement which is based on a modified ETA 2824 I think.

I wish they brought back the old precision movement and maybe some domed crystals.

Thoughts on Seiko Prospex Fieldmaster?

>Seiko Prospex Fieldmaster
I think anyone that finds the tuna can looking massive seikos attractive are mentally deficient.

Serious reason to shovel +100€ on a watch when I get this beautiful watch off AliExpress for 2€?

youtube.com/watch?v=5R8At-Qno_o

>made effort to purchase a SARB
>leaves it in box for 2 months
>feels depressed with looking at it

kek what a moron

Is there any watch that works exactly like this one? I absolutely love the design but it's way above my pay grade

Oops forgot the picture haha

looks great if you like cheap plastic and child labor. Wear it in good health!

>supporting organized crime

Why isn't the DayDate as popular as the DateJust?

Costs more, comes in solid precious metals instead of steel or two-tone.

> gave local watch repair to replace my glass with sapphire

> He installed the glass in an angle
> you can tell its now 0 water resistant
> Basel is twisted and doesn't work anymore

>You don't need it user..i don't even use it he says

I just can't anymore...

Best diver watch under $200 ?

>Basel is twisted and doesn't work anymore
looks ok to me

ebin

I have this SARB. It's a great watch.

>SARB
>boring
You just bought the wrong one man.

Whats Sup Forums opinion on the scurfa watches?

>scurfa watche
small batch quartz watches? what do you want me to say?

skx or orient ray/mako 2

Any recommendations on spring bar tools? I bought a cheap one, and to my surprise the bits wore out really fast.

machine in some new ones