What's the best irc client for someone who has never used one before?

What's the best irc client for someone who has never used one before?

There are many. I recommend Polari.

Shouldn't you be sleeping kiddo?

N-no daddy.

HexChat is also entry tier, pretty good too.

Irssi or weechat. Why learn bad habits?

>recommending irssi/weechat to a beginner
I use and love irssi, but can tell you're a nigger

Irssi was my first client.

irssi

>Windows
HexChat.

>Linux
Weechat.

Do people really still use irc

why

Are you a legendary unix wizard?

i-is there anything for OSX..?

mirc is nice. i miss wasting my days away with all my friends in our little garbage channels....

everyone is going to say XChat/HexChat but Konversation has the most full featured of any graphical IRC client, especially the bookmarking features which is especially good if you do everything in one server like Freenode

No, although I was using Slackware at the time because it was the only distro that came with full dev tools and kernel headers on the install iso. Fucking madwifi.

Textual

both Textual and Colloquy really suck, they are both pretty but lacking feature-wise, you are just going to end up installing a Linux client off homebrew

For seekret clubs and xdcc

>says no
>he actually used slackware because of the dev tools
wizard detected

It's piss easy to stand up an ircd and letsencrypt to have private communications that take hundreds of thousands of dollars in resources to snoop on, and there are clients for every OS worth the name, even MS-DOS.

Not a wizard, just determined to get my goddamn wifi working under Linux. It used to be such a pain in the ass compared to how it is today.

Communities, lots of them. Aldo dat precious XDCC.

Never used an irc. Can someone sell me on it? Looking for a place to mindlessly chat.

It depends on what youre interested in, but be careful, Ive seen some people really get sucked in and turn into zombies irl, not joking

I am ok with that, I will investigate, thank you

Because it's just chat. Not chat and voicecoms, not chat & maymays, emojis, profile pictures, linked to Facebook and Twitter

mibbit

Weechat
/thread

been using xchat for... shit... 18 years now. Hasn't let me down so far.

forgot to add, I also used BitchX on some of my Linux boxes but it's fallen out of favor and IIRC most distros no longer even have it in their repos. I think the BSD's might have it but as f as I know it's not being updated anymore.

Irssi or weechat are ideal, hexchat is okay for graphical. It's nice being able to put irc in tmux.

a web client

There is a nice bitchx theme for irssi, check it

irssi. shit like hexchat always seems to crash

Any good channels or servers u fa/g/s would recommend

>using windows

#Sup Forumsnetrunner @ rizon (WEB BROWSER)
#Sup Forumsftp @ rizon (FILESHARING)
#/x/philes @ rizon (CREEPYPASTA AND THE PARANORMAL)
#polymath @ freenode (LEARNING)
#Sup Forumstechnology @ rizon (NEET CENTRAL)
#Sup Forumspunk @ rizon (CYBERPUNK)
#Sup Forumssec @ rizon (CYBERSECURITY)
#Sup Forumswdg @ rizon (WEB DEVELOPMENT)
#Sup Forumssicp @ rizon (PROGRAMMING)