/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Old: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

neowin.net/news/canonical--microsoft-make-azure-tailored-linux-kernel
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/21100/convert-bdf-pcf-font-to-psfu-for-using-as-consolefont?noredirect=1&lq=1
xo.
it.archive.ubuntu.com
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide/Parameters
etcher.io
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First

for

Reddit

spacing

"$*" really works, thank you user! I couldn't solve it for over an hour. Do you know how this kind of parameters are called? I really would like to learn more about it.

>debian is hard to install meme
what? it has a regular graphical installer just like ubuntu
even the non graphical installer is easy. it just looks ugly

I think the issue stems from the fact that the live medium normally doesn't ship with proprietary drivers, and it doesn't seem to recognize--at least in my experience--drivers located on other mediums. You can easily manage by just installing the drivers after the fact, but, annoyingly, if you don't configure wireless during the install (which you can't if you don't have the drivers), Debian won't install wpasupplicant.

the network drivers, right? all you do is have to search for them on the internet, download and drag into the firmware folder
you can do it before the install

Granted, you could avoid all of this by just doing a stage3 install of Debian, which is what I do exclusively whenever I want to install Debian, now. It lets me do significantly more sophisticated setups, anyways. Also, for the record, I think the Debian installer, both the x and ncurses one, for as shitty as they are, are really pretty. I especially love Devuans' installer. Makes me think of Charlie Rose for some reason. Debian really is the NPR of GNU/Linux, I don't know why.

That's what I literally just said. Did you even read my post?

If windows was not a botnet will you use it?

First for revolution.

>You can easily manage by just installing the drivers after the fact
and i said you can do it before too

fuck off shill

If Windows was still proprietary, no. If otherwise, I probably still wouldn't use it, because it's a fucking abomination. Kind of the same thing with hackintoshes. I have a t420, and I'm fully aware that I can install MacOS, but, when push comes to shove, Apples hardware actually kind of sucks. I mean, don't get me wrong, sometimes it's really nice, as with Airports. But very seldomly.

I meant software

No, once you tasted GNU/Linux you woun't go back. It's simply the superior OS.

Hey guys, I'm trying to set up a local repo for debian since I might not have any access to the internet in the near future.
I tried to get all packages for stretch with debmirror and got a few gpg errors but everything seems to be good, I think at least.
And here goes my question to you, can I get this to work with just an external hdd (aka I put all the packages on the hdd and plug it in into another pc and magic happens) or is this more complicated?
Everything I can find on the web is about making an apache server and hosting those but I would like to avoid that, I don't know shit about networking.
I'm trying to get it to work for a few days now but can't figure it out

deb file:///mnt/hdd/debian stable main

shit like this should work.

Shit, it worked
And was so simple

I'm so dumb, thanks so much user

neowin.net/news/canonical--microsoft-make-azure-tailored-linux-kernel

Thoughts?

FUCK YOU CANONICAL

EMBRACE
EXTEND
EXTINGUISH

>The new kernel package will be used by default in any Ubuntu 16.04 LTS image brought up from the Azure portal after the 21st of September.
lmao

>look guys, only canonical has this better kernel!
>look guys, only microsoft can advance linux!

[rubbing hands intensifities]

based

/faglet/

:^)

Is it possible to show non-English letters in command line interface?

Yes 100%.

Yes, use a font that supports then. For GUI terminal emulators, changing the font should be trivial. For tty, change the "consolefont". For example, in debian systems you can use
dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
or in Gentoo you can do it in
/etc/conf.d/consolefont

Thanks a lot, it worked.

You can also play around with setfont manually. Available consolefonts are located here: /usr/share/consolefonts, so you can set tham like this:
setfont /usr/share/consolefonts/Uni3-Terminus12x6.psf.gz
Or short:
setfont Uni3-Terminus12x6

does anyone know how to convert a regular bitmap font to a console font?

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/21100/convert-bdf-pcf-font-to-psfu-for-using-as-consolefont?noredirect=1&lq=1

Trivia: I really really like OPs first sentence.

Are any of you on nightly 58?

xo. tc/setting-up-full-disk-encryption-on-debian-jessie.html
following this guys instructions and there's no cryptab folder in etc
how do i finish the steps from there?

.mp3 is free now right? Is there any reason why you freetards or rms are still recommending .ogg instead? Explain

okay i actually got past that it was a file
everything works fine now

Going to create gui-frontend for some existing library and/or cli tool that lacks proper gui just 4 fun.
Will be using gtk3 because I want to (inb4 trash: fuck off).
Any ideas on what it should be? What (not extremely complicated) gui application you want to see available for slash leenux?

I installed windows fonts and now everything looks like shit

GUI Fontconfig editor. Change font options, alias, prefer, blacklist and perform other font things.

DejaVu is all you need.

superior quality

Thread's a bit quiet, so I'll ask something I've been thinking about for a while but never get round to actually doing.

How do I set up/manage a USB drive from a command prompt on Debian netinstall/server? I want to set it up to have filesystem level encryption (fscrypt) but also to just copy and paste files to/from it.

The 1st hurdle is to actually get it to mount, because normally this is handled by the DE. What's the 'done thing'?

what stops you from using the "mount" command?

just put them in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts if you need them for wine

Nothing, but I just want to know the correct way. It seems like for this particular use-case i.e. managing and running USB drives on a GUI-less system, there are multiple possible ways to skin a cat.

Guys, i want to install debian (probbably using chroot? ) on my android phone. i want to choose mt own shit what to install, i dont nees DE, other crap, etc. Its been a while i used android, what are the most popular tools to achieve this?

google linux on the play store, any of the first results will work

Every other cloud vendor does the same shit. AWS, Google, all of them. This is literally just ricing a few variables and installing the Azure drivers (which are available in the mainline kernel) by default.

does anyone know why this is happening? can't see volumes on the gui

There are no real correct and incorrect way in this. don't overthink it.

Just... mount it. You can also add it to fstab, but remember to set "noauto" in the options so your boot process won't stall for ages or wont stop with an error is the drive is not present at boot time.

You can also set the "user" flag in fstab, allowing normal users to mount the drive, but if it was a fs with unix permissions they will have trouble with those.

Oh okay. What I meant was there are multiple programs that mount (mount, pmount, maybe others), so to even start with, there are choices that I don't understand and don't know what's best for something like this.

your gtk theme is shit. Try a different one

your theme is using the same colors for two different things, accidentally pavucontrol uses these two for background and the lines. Try another theme?

pmount might come in the picture if you need to mount a device as user.
For others, like mount. handlers, the plain mount command will handle those.

I'm using Xubuntu 16.04. Can you recommend me a good and reliable software for checking system resources (temperatures, cpu, ram, usage ...)? I'm using Psensor right now, but I'd love a program/software that displays graphs or detailed info and that I can put on a different panel on the desktop.

htop

What are USE flags?

Options used by Portage (Gentoos build system) to determine which options to enable/disable in a certain software.

For example if you want to have mpv with just alsa support, you compile it with USE flags alsa -oss -pulseaudio.

>compile it
Not the best term I used, "emerge it" is more accurate.

Wait, so is it possible to use Gentoo without pulseaudio?? That would be awesome

Yes. If you are a madman you can go full OSS too.

I'm fine with ALSA

for some reason I can't install htop via terminal. Should I get it from Synaptic?

Read the error message, dumbass. It can't DNS resolve the repository you've got configured.

>temporary failure resolving it.archive.ubuntu.com

Dude, you have a DNS resolver problem or your mirror is offline. Opening an other package manager won't help.

Do I need a flash drive to install Linux?

Unless you've got a DVD burner or a PXE infrastructure, yeah.

No, you can install it from CD, netboot or loading the installer from GRUB.

You're an idiot.
Not because you don't understand the concept of USE flags. They're not magic things which change software on the fly. They're just a convenient way to specify which compile time options to enable or disable, but only IF THEY EXIST. You can compile software with or without those on any distribution.

You're an idiot because you think Pulseaudio is bad when you most likely don't even know what it is or why you don't like it (judging by the fact that you don't even know what compile time options are).

I can see the problem now, but I find it pretty strange considering that I was able to install some packages just few minutes ago.

What's with idiots not reading things? Why do they automatically want to be spoonfed and wait hundreds of times longer than to spend 5 seconds reading something and solving it themselves?

You live in Italy. Some mafioso probably shot up a server room.

oh well if that's the case I guess I'll just have to wait

or try another mirror meanwhile. Just replace "it" with a nearby country like at, hu, de etc.

pulseaudio is shit but congrats on being autistic about your opinions.

Do you have any friends or family members that have tried getting into linux due to work/class/whatever the fuck and don't really like it much?

I noticed that a few people in my environment didn't even know it existed, now are getting into it and some of them hate linux distros like it's something they still find too difficult to work with. They have to work with a terminal and learn a few commands and it's like you're dragging them through hell.

Congratulations about being a fucking retard who has no idea what he's talking about but who still insists having strong opinions about it.
I suggest you find another topic where you can be a retard. This one is already oversaturated.

yeah that could work. I've just tried accessing it.archive.ubuntu.com and Firefox is telling me that it can't connect to the site, but i can connect to de.ubuntu.archive.com and us.ubuntu.archive.com. Zzzzz...

t. Lennart "notabug" Poettering

What's the difference?

Stop recommending surveillence engines.

top contains a rolling release, always-latest KDE
bottom contains a long-term supported version of KDE.

Old reply, but see: mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide/Parameters

ctrl+f 'special paramerters'

$1 to $9 are positional parameters (and you can go on forever, technically by doing e.g. ${10}, ${11}, and so on). "$*" and "$@" expand to all positional parameters. There's also the command "shift" (see "man shift", which shifts where the first positional parameter by n. So "shift 3" would make $1 become $4 and so on. It'd also mean the original values for $1 to $3 would be lost, but that's occasionally a good thing.

>ctrl+f
>not /

lol actually I know exactly what I'm talking about

Sure, that's why you stated it and explained it.

help shift*

Is there anything I need to install to use a flash drive to install Linux, or is it enough to just put the iso in there?

GNU

how can I make the fonts in xubuntu look like ubuntu? they were much cleaner

autism

cute

You're retarded. PCs can't boot from an iso file dropped on a filesystem. You have to write the contents of the iso directly to the drive.

how?

Shit, that's actually not a bad idea. Only issue is though it probably has to run as root.

I wonder if you could sort of isolate the root part to a tiny script that just copies the changes over to minimize the danger.
So like it could just read all your current fontconfig data and you'd run it as your normal user to make temporary changes in the GUI, and then when you're ready to write the changes you'd supply the password

Because it tries to be "le just werks" version of audio but instead is just an aborted abstraction layer that does fucking nothing except get in the way of anyone who actually wants to use the audio system.

If you're a winbabby, Rufus.

It doesn't have to run as root. Fontconfig has per user options.

Works for me and other people. Possibly also for you, but you just need something to spread memes about to feel smart.

Not a bad idea! Thanks.

It can be enough to put the CONTENT of the ISO into the root of the flash drive. But it depends on your BIOS.

However, just use a tool like etcher.io or one of the many others. It'll eliminate on possible source of problems.